GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: A Chocolate Factory in your PC #116274
09/26/04 10:41 PM
09/26/04 10:41 PM
Bradford, ON
F
Fongo Offline
Settled Boomer
Fongo  Offline
Settled Boomer
F

Bradford, ON
Quote:
Yup. They're not trying to copy the first movie though. The new one is supposed to be closer to the book. And Johnny Depp will be Willie Wonka instead of Gene Wilder. From what little I've heard, it will be spookier than the first movie, like many of Tim Burton's movies are. Think "Nightmare Before Christmas" or "Edward Scissorhands."
I've read the book three times recently, and I've seen the movie several times, and I'd say the Gene Wilder version is very faithful to the book (other than sort of glossing over how poor Charlie was, and an ending with a twist of conflict that is not in the book at all).

There's really not that much satire in the book, and the chocolate factory isn't really portrayed as a dark and scary place. I found the story to be pretty straight-up - almost a purely child-like perspective. Good is rewarded, bad gets its just rewards, end of story.

Should be interesting to see where Burton takes it.

Re: A Chocolate Factory in your PC #116275
09/26/04 10:58 PM
09/26/04 10:58 PM
Indiana
Demosthenes Offline
Addicted Boomer
Demosthenes  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Indiana
Most of Roald Dahl's books have a pretty dark undertone to them, and I didn't find Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to be a major exception...Wonka uses Oompa Loompas as test subjects, Charlie's grandparents are all very odd...

There's a potential Tim Burton may do something really wonderful with this one--assuming he can get out of the rut he's been in the last few years.

But Wilder did a wonderful job as Wonka, and it'll be difficult or impossible to replace him. Besides, for most people, the first movie pretty much defined what the Chocolate Factory should look like. Futurama did a spoof in one of ther episodes, and between the songs and the orange/green "grunka lunkas", it was clear they weren't spoofing the book. It'll be hard to overcome the memories of the first movie long enough to create something both original and faithful to the book.

Consider: were you to make a new movie version of "The Wizard of Oz," would you give Dorothy ruby slippers, (as in the movie), or silver ones (as in the books)? Personally I'd do silver, but I can just see all the complaints from people who saw the movie and never read the books.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Urban Worrier), 321 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users