GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Computer Freezing Up #1173478
01/02/19 02:32 PM
01/02/19 02:32 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
This is the fourth time now that my computer has frozen up on me so I cannot get to task manager or the windows screen and have to do a hard shut down. The first two times I was able to tap lightly for a "restart" but the last two times I had to really hold the button in for awhile to get it to shut down. I waited awhile in case it was doing something but I don't know why it would just freeze like that so I didn't really wait too long. All four times I was online, three times reading something, this last time I was here on Gameboomers. Is this a sign of something in my computer failing, like my hard drive or something?

Re: Computer Freezing Up [Re: oldbroad] #1173484
01/02/19 03:10 PM
01/02/19 03:10 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
There are SO many things that could be causing this. It could be some kind of weird conflict with drivers; it could be a failing hard drive or power supply; it could be failing stick of RAM or overheating. So check your temps again... I know you still have your computer in a closet, so that would still be a goal to change some day. I had a drive at our American Legion freeze up all the time and after swapping out the motherboard, RAM and power supply and taking it to a computer repair shop, I finally gave up. I got a new SSD and installed it with a new installation of Windows 10. I left the old drive in the case, so we could access the files on it and that made it easier to get the new drive set up.

One thing you might try is to look at the Event Viewer to see if there is an event listed that might tell you something. After it's open, click on Windows Logs and open the sub menu. Then click on System. Look down the list in the viewing pane until you fine the exact time the computer froze up. See if there is anything there. It will show the hard shutdown, of course. But see if there is anything just before the hard shut down.

There is also a little utility called Blue Screen Review. I know you're not having BSOD's, but this utility shows the minedump files created during a BSOD. I don't know if it would tell you anything with just a freeze up, but it might be worth a try. You can download it from many places, but the only one I trust is BleepingComputer. You can read more about it in this link too.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/bluescreenview/

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: Computer Freezing Up [Re: oldbroad] #1173489
01/02/19 04:08 PM
01/02/19 04:08 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Well I managed to find the Event Viewer but all I can find in there is the "reboot". I don't know if I'm looking in the right place though. I googled how to find and use it but...

What really is worrying me is that after this year, I will not be able to find anybody to look at a Windows 7 system so I AM (trying to convince myself) planning on taking the computer in to Best Buy at some point but I don't know what they can do about ensuring it will keep working. Sure enough something will fail just as soon as Win 7 is no longer supported.

I was wondering about the RAM since I do have trouble with the memory usage (remember I wrote about that problem with Firefox). I watch it closely now when I am online to make sure it doesn't go too high. My temps still seem to be the same. The computer did make a lot of noise while booting up but then the noise stopped once boot up was complete, if that means anything.

Thanks Draclvr.

Oh, maybe this? Something about Flash Reader?

+ System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
[ Guid] {9C205A39-1250-487D-ABD7-E831C6290539}

EventID 219

Version 0

Level 3

Task 212

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2019-01-02T18:19:01.020948500Z

EventRecordID 286279

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 80

Channel System

Computer Jackie-PC2

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

DriverNameLength 115
DriverName WpdBusEnumRoot\UMB\2&37c186b&0&STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_MULTI&PROD_FLAS
H_READER&REV_1.00#058F63666471&0#
Status 3221226341
FailureNameLength 14
FailureName \Driver\WUDFRd
Version 0

Re: Computer Freezing Up [Re: oldbroad] #1173494
01/02/19 05:44 PM
01/02/19 05:44 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: oldbroad
What really is worrying me is that after this year, I will not be able to find anybody to look at a Windows 7 system so I AM (trying to convince myself) planning on taking the computer in to Best Buy at some point but I don't know what they can do about ensuring it will keep working.

Is there no other computer shop in your area that fixes computers?
Best Buy is usually not the best choice.

If a problem is hardware related, and the computer is reasonably recent, so replacement parts are available, your version of Windows shouldn't matter to a repair shop.

I was wondering about the RAM since I do have trouble with the memory usage (remember I wrote about that problem with Firefox). I watch it closely now when I am online to make sure it doesn't go too high.

You can do a web search for:
Firefox uses too much RAM

and find out what settings people used to fix this well-known problem.

I wouldn't think Firefox would use so much RAM that it freezes your computer, but who knows.
The people who make Firefox think everyone is like them and everyone has the same computers they do.

There is also the possibility that your RAM has a bad spot.
You can check RAM using memtest or memtest86.
http://www.memtest.org/ (memtest86+)
https://www.memtest86.com/ (memtest86)

Memtest86 got eaten by Passmark, and they have a pay version now, but you can use the free version. Choose either memtest86+ or memtest86. They do the same thing -- test your RAM. You boot off a CD/DVD drive, a floppy, or a USB drive and let memtest run overnight. In the morning check to see if there are errors. Usually downloading the iso for burning a memtest CD and booting from that is easiest.

My temps still seem to be the same. The computer did make a lot of noise while booting up but then the noise stopped once boot up was complete, if that means anything.

Modern computers often roar when they first start up, then settle down. As the bearings on fans wear out, the fans get louder. After they're booted, most modern computers turn the fans up when the temperature rises, then turn the fans down when the temperature falls.

Oh, maybe this? Something about Flash Reader?...

DriverName WpdBusEnumRoot\UMB\2&37c186b&0&STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_MULTI&PROD_FLAS
H_READER&REV_1.00#058F63666471&0#

That seems to be something to do with reading USB drives.
Were you using a USB drive when you had the freeze?

Re: Computer Freezing Up [Re: oldbroad] #1173500
01/02/19 07:10 PM
01/02/19 07:10 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Hi Jenny and thank you for all of this information.

I looked up and emailed several different computer repair places a few months ago but the best and most (hopefully) trustworthy that I can find that is somewhat close to my house is Best Buy. There is one other place that I might try but the guy was making things difficult (in my opinion) as he wouldn't answer my basic questions through email and wanted to set up a telephone appointment. I got annoyed with him to be honest. And that was the second time with this same guy as I did contact him a few years back regarding my Dell. Only one place said they'd look at older computers and there were things about the place I don't like. Even Best Buy said only through 2019.

I mentioned the RAM because Draclvr mentioned one problem might be a failing RAM stick and as stated Firefox kicks it up a lot which is why I now open task manager and keep an eye on it when I am looking at articles online. It did not ever freeze up my computer but it did freeze up my internet.

That memtest sounded good until you mentioned a boot disc or something. Out of my comfort zone.

I was NOT doing anything with a USB drive any of the times the computer froze BUT I noticed in my uninstalled updates that there was an update issued in September from Alcor Micro Corp - USB for a "driver update released in April 2018". Wasn't sure about it and never installed it. It seemed to have to do with my card reader but I wasn't sure. Should I install that?

Last edited by oldbroad; 01/02/19 07:13 PM.
Re: Computer Freezing Up [Re: oldbroad] #1173507
01/02/19 08:16 PM
01/02/19 08:16 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Was that Alcor Micro update from them? Or was it from Microsoft. I looked it up and it does have to do with your card reader. If it came from Alcor Micro, you should install it. I was having problems with BSOD's and when I ran that BlueScreenView, it told me I had a video driver that was causing a conflict. I updated it and the BSOD's went away.

Is there any way to look up some local computer repair shops and then read reviews from customers? Look them up on Facebook and see what other people have to say. With some of the things you are experiencing and the fact that you are not comfortable running something like memtest, you really need to find someplace to take it to. I agree with Jenny that Best Buy is not a good choice. I have heard and read some awful stories about them and how they rip people off.

Re: Computer Freezing Up [Re: oldbroad] #1173512
01/02/19 09:39 PM
01/02/19 09:39 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I don't know where the update came from. How do I find that out? It is in with the other Microsoft "important" updates.

I DID look for local computer repair shops and read reviews. There really are not very many around here at all. One I was interested in is apparently closed. The one that used to be near my house closed some years back. They just did parts, no recovery or anything like that. Mostly now there are phone repair shops who say they do computers also. I don't know. This is why I wish I "had a guy". Some person who knows stuff like you and Jenny know, not necessarily a shop. I don't know anybody. Maybe I will try the one who wants to set up a telephone appointment and see what he actually has to say.

Re: Computer Freezing Up [Re: oldbroad] #1173534
01/03/19 12:03 AM
01/03/19 12:03 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Man, that's awful! In my little town of only about 10,000 people, we have 2 reputable computer repair shops and an even better one in the next town over about 8 miles away.

Yeah, maybe give the telephone guy a chance. He will probably want to take over your computer and look at it that way. It would definitely save you from bringing it in. I did that with a friend who was in her 90's and lived in California several times. We opened up a chat box and sometimes were at it for over an hour... I remember agreeing to take pee breaks a couple of times!!

Re: Computer Freezing Up [Re: oldbroad] #1173544
01/03/19 01:30 AM
01/03/19 01:30 AM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Marian reminded me of another place that I had noted but I don't think I contacted. I will check them out again. I don't drive and I don't want to make my brother take me too far and I don't want to leave my computer at some places/areas. That's also part of the problem. And because my house is in the shape it's in, I don't want somebody coming in, which is really what I would have preferred in the past. I know the guy who wants to talk on the phone was into house calls a few years back. Someday maybe I'll get it in shape for visitors but it's sure not happening very fast.

As a last resort though, I may consider asking a friend who MIGHT be able to help me out but I don't see the guy too often. It's close to 7 years now since I've seen him but we do email from time to time and talk about getting together. I don't want to put him on the spot though, feeling like he has to say yes. I'm not sure he can help anyway but I think he knows his way around a computer fairly well. We'll see.

Re: Computer Freezing Up [Re: oldbroad] #1173785
01/05/19 01:27 AM
01/05/19 01:27 AM
Northeast Ohio
mabeco Offline
Settled Boomer
mabeco  Offline
Settled Boomer

Northeast Ohio
I too had this problem a couple of weeks ago. Turns out it could be a Malwarebytes issue. The latest update is causing problems for some users running Windows 7 64 bit. I turned off my Malwarebytes and haven't had a problem since.

Mary Beth
Re: Computer Freezing Up [Re: oldbroad] #1173788
01/05/19 02:25 AM
01/05/19 02:25 AM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Interesting. Thanks for that info mabeco.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 462 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users