GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
retired gamers? #120320
04/07/06 02:42 PM
04/07/06 02:42 PM
florida
bigmamma1 Offline OP
Settled Boomer
bigmamma1  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

florida
smile or to put it another way-how many of us started gaming after retiring.or reaching retirement age.(not retiring from gaming!)
I,for one, didn't even get a computer until age 60(in 2001)and now am on my 2nd one.
I discovered adv. games a year later and quickly acquired BAAGs syndrome! I'm still trying to play my way out of the pile of games I bought then-but more and more new ones keep grabbing my attention.

I wonder if the gaming community even realises how many older gamers are out there and buying games.I believe gaming keeps the heart young and the mind alert-but don't forget to get away from the computer every day and get some excercise shame

People do not remember how much you know,only how you make them feel
finished Gray Matter, playing Alice Madness returns and Deponia
Re: retired gamers? #120321
04/07/06 02:46 PM
04/07/06 02:46 PM
Scotland
Nanjoan Offline
Addicted Boomer
Nanjoan  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Scotland
Exercise is good, but gaming is better. I am retired and you should see the pile of games I keep adding to which I haven't played yet. Who cares anyway. I don't

I started gaming about 3 years before I retired, egged on by my sons who started me on RPG games. since then I have played and collected loads and loads.

I just love it laugh

Nanjoan wave

I am gaming once again....
Re: retired gamers? #120322
04/07/06 02:57 PM
04/07/06 02:57 PM
Boca Raton, Florida
Bevlee Offline
Settled Boomer
Bevlee  Offline
Settled Boomer

Boca Raton, Florida
I bought my first computer the year I retired from the nursing profession. I am now on computer #3. I began playing adventure games when my grandson left his Kings Quest game at our home. laugh I had watched him playing the game, and it looked so interesting, that when he left I continued playing and have been hooked ever since. I am now 75 and currently playing SCRATCHES, and loving it!! scared
Beverly in Florida

Dont' walk in front of me,
I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me,
I may not lead.
Walk beside me and be my friend. (Albert Camus)
Re: retired gamers? #120323
04/07/06 03:00 PM
04/07/06 03:00 PM
Delaware
MysteryFantic Offline
Settled Boomer
MysteryFantic  Offline
Settled Boomer

Delaware
I also did not start playing games until I got in my 60's. I got egg on by my brother the first one I ever played The Longest Journey love it. And then I was hook there are so many good games and it beats TV at times.I also have adquired a stack of new games to be played. I am playing Voyage now. I find sometimes you can get involve before you know it is wee hours in the morning.

Re: retired gamers? #120326
04/07/06 03:15 PM
04/07/06 03:15 PM
Lexington, Texas
Yankee Clipper Offline
Addicted Boomer
Yankee Clipper  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Lexington, Texas
I worked nights in a medical reference lab and retired @ age 68 on my birthday and told them even if they hit rock bottom don't call me. After rearrainging my standard of living I bought a cmptr. This took about a year and maybe 2 years later bought a N Drew game and WOW! This is it! After some more rearrainging I bought that wonderful gaming XP. So now I have 2 cmptrs - ME and XP - and a room full of games. And by the way, what's the best way to store them, horizontal or vertical. I have no AC in my little house and it gets hot in Central Texas so if games are lying flat would the heat destroy the threading? Also, could anyone out there write games for intelligent cats as 2 of mine show a keen interest in the keyboard and monitor graphics.

I wish I were a cat and belonged to me ~ My Aunt Helen Mary Rose
Re: retired gamers? #120327
04/07/06 03:37 PM
04/07/06 03:37 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Well, I started gaming when the last kid left home (though she came back)--Does that count as retired? wave

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: retired gamers? #120328
04/07/06 04:02 PM
04/07/06 04:02 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Yankee Clipper,

Your cats might like this:

http://www.cyberpounce.com/

I saw this program a while back and when I saw your note I was reminded of it.

And to get back on topic, I can't wait to be retired so I have more time for gaming. I will try to get out and look at the sky on a regular basis, too, though. laugh

Re: retired gamers? #120329
04/07/06 04:33 PM
04/07/06 04:33 PM
The Garden State
LadyKestrel Offline
Adept Boomer
LadyKestrel  Offline
Adept Boomer

The Garden State
In July 2003, I took early retirement (age 55) from the school system where I had worked as a speech and language therapist for 33 years. I had discovered adventure games in Sept. 1999 but had to schedule my playing around vacations or holiday weekends. Now I can play whenever I want. smile

Carpe chocolate.
Re: retired gamers? #120330
04/07/06 04:47 PM
04/07/06 04:47 PM
Piney Woods of East Texas
joanieS Offline
Addicted Boomer
joanieS  Offline
Addicted Boomer

I started computer gaming when Myst came out. Retired in 1999. On my third computer (not counting the 4th computer I bought used to play older games).
Hey, looney4labs, I had 4 out of 5 of my kids move back at on time or another. Have one with his family coming back in June for awhile until they get their new house ready. I LOVE it!!! Hmmm. Maybe that's why I am so into computer games. They fill the void in my childless house. wink

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words." ...unknown
Re: retired gamers? #120331
04/07/06 05:20 PM
04/07/06 05:20 PM
Lexington, Texas
Yankee Clipper Offline
Addicted Boomer
Yankee Clipper  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Lexington, Texas
Marian, That's a great site. Now we just have to modify the keyboard so it works by smell and they can work it by their little paws or noses. I should get it and see what happens. It takes awhile to acclimate to retirement but games surely help.

I wish I were a cat and belonged to me ~ My Aunt Helen Mary Rose
Re: retired gamers? #120332
04/07/06 05:23 PM
04/07/06 05:23 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Quote:
Originally posted by joanieS:
Have one with his family coming back in June for awhile until they get their new house ready. I LOVE it!!! Hmmm. Maybe that's why I am so into computer games. They fill the void in my childless house. wink
Joanie--that's funny--I'm still waiting on the void--but with 4 dogs, it'll probably take awhile--

Meantime, I treasure the "quiet" time so I can play happydance

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: retired gamers? #120333
04/07/06 05:29 PM
04/07/06 05:29 PM
Montreal
Retired at last Offline
Addicted Boomer
Retired at last  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Montreal
Hmm - can't connect to http://www.cyberpounce.com/
I bought my computer shortly after I retired.
Bought some golf and card games.
Surfed the net one day and found Gameboomers.
Couldn't believe the number of people over 60 who are members here. thumbsup
Now I have about 20 unplayed games on my bookshelf amd just bought 3 more today.
Turning 62 on Sunday - hope I can play all these games before my final great retirement.

Not admitting defeat... is the beginning of the solution.
But sometimes asking for help is not a bad idea!
==================================
Re: retired gamers? #120334
04/07/06 05:37 PM
04/07/06 05:37 PM
virginia
K
KateVa Offline
Settled Boomer
KateVa  Offline
Settled Boomer
K

virginia
Hmmm...first computer game I played was "The Perils of Rosella", probably in 1989 with my first computer. The game didnt like my typing...but I was charmed and intrigued. I was a recent widow, so I could take out a lot of frustration by yelling back at the computer :Waht dod you MEAN you don't understand??" It didnt even understand my response....wonder why? lol I love my new home. love the people, and YES! those who sell games should realize that 'older' gamers have a goodly amount of income that isn't ear-marked for college expenses, etc. Cater to us!!

Kate ( Katva in Until Uru as in never miss a plug for your favorite game) lol

Re: retired gamers? #120335
04/07/06 05:41 PM
04/07/06 05:41 PM
Northwestern New Mexico, USA
Jenny Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Jenny  Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Sonic Boomer

I didn't start gaming immediately after I retired, spent several years taking care of my father first. But after he died, I jumped right in, and the pile of games just keeps getting higher and higher... happydance

"Once you give up integrity, the rest is easy." Anonymous
Re: retired gamers? #120336
04/07/06 08:01 PM
04/07/06 08:01 PM
La Puente, CA, USA
ladyyve Offline
Addicted Boomer
ladyyve  Offline
Addicted Boomer

La Puente, CA, USA
Ahhhhhhh, Kate! My gaming buddy!!! What would I do without you! I never want to have to find out! I told you this was a great group of people!!! Not just gamers either. It's a tight knit group of people who care about other people, too!

I left my job to take care of my elderly parents back in 1990 and can't say I'm really retired yet, but for all intent and purposes *I'm retired*!!! I work harder now at 66 than I did on the job, but the pay is non-existent.

My brother, Chuck, got me started and set up with a computer in '94 and gave me Myst to play! That was IT!!! It took me 2 months to play it and THEN he tells me about all these help forums and walkthrus!!! ....after I strangled him... I started collecting these things and like everyone else, I have a room full of shelves all over with games stacked to the ceiling. The first big quake here could be my last!!! hahahaha I'm in California and it will bury me in games! ROFL!

It's been a great escape for me to immerse myself in a game, as well as great entertainment and loads of laughs! I think about all the choice lines that Lewton had and Tex Murphy... and the serious scary stuff with The Beast Within and Gabe!

I don't have much free time to hang out in the forum yet, but my parents are still with me anyway.

This has been a wonderful home to me! Thanks to all of you who took me under your wing! Syd was the one who suggested I join. I thought Syd was a 'guy' first! She has such a great sense of humor that I felt right at home here!

I still wonder if she ever finished Luxor!!! hahahaha There was a 'whole' thread on that when I started! smile )

Gaming keeps you verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry young at heart! thumbsup

Re: retired gamers? #120337
04/07/06 10:24 PM
04/07/06 10:24 PM
Rockford, Illinois
S
sierramindy Offline
Addicted Boomer
sierramindy  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Rockford, Illinois
What a wonderful, nostalgic time I've had reading all these GREAT posts. I remember CompuServe, even their magazine/newsletter. "King's Quest 4: Perils of Rosella" is one of my all time favs. I remember those curving stairs to the attic, hate to say how many times I was killed falling down that pixel hunt staircase. That was harder than trying to find some of today's hot spots! The ghosts were sad rather than scary, especially the baby. It was the first game where one could use the keyboard or the mouse. I found the mouse so tricky to use that I was sure it would never catch on. How wrong I was! (Except I still find it somewhat tricky and accidentally click who-knows-where and lose a toolbar or a letter.)
I have the impression that we women outnumber the men on this thread. So do we play more games or are we just more chatty?

To love is to be happy with!
Re: retired gamers? #120338
04/07/06 10:50 PM
04/07/06 10:50 PM
Jenny Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Jenny  Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Sonic Boomer

Quote:
Originally posted by sierramindy:
I have the impression that we women outnumber the men on this thread. So do we play more games or are we just more chatty?
Women do outnumber men in the membership list of GameBoomers, Mindy--plus I think we're more chatty too. lol

I think the gaming industry is making a big mistake in not directing more attention toward the mature female gamers...

"Once you give up integrity, the rest is easy." Anonymous
Re: retired gamers? #120339
04/07/06 11:39 PM
04/07/06 11:39 PM
McClure P.A. USA.
ron.etti Offline
Addicted Boomer
ron.etti  Offline
Addicted Boomer

McClure P.A. USA.
I think its great that there is a alternative to
just setting in front of the TV.
I am sure we all have a few favorite shows we like.
I am 56 and not to wish my life away ,i am looking forward to retiring.
I know playing these games will keep are minds
sharper as well as having fun playing.
Here in the north east as the weather gets nicer
i will play less,but i welcome a rainy day more then
i use to just to game a little.

Re: retired gamers? #120340
04/08/06 12:20 AM
04/08/06 12:20 AM
Delaware
MysteryFantic Offline
Settled Boomer
MysteryFantic  Offline
Settled Boomer

Delaware
I am so glad that I joined this Forum and to see so many people like me who love Adventure games too. The nice part each game is a new adventure to different places to visit. There are so many new games coming out this year, I have to get some of my other games played first. But just like a kid there are some that I can't wait for. I love being a kid at this age the toys are better.

Re: retired gamers? #120341
04/08/06 03:02 AM
04/08/06 03:02 AM
near London Gatwick Airport
aretha Offline
Settled Boomer
aretha  Offline
Settled Boomer

near London Gatwick Airport
I rerired the day before my 49th birthday, after completing a 30 year contract. After 30 years of shift work and a 7 day week it's bliss to have the time to do little else but play games. Had a conservatory built and my garden relandscaped and now I chill out with my games while watching the birds and squirrels feeding. I've been a gamer for years but now in retirement I may catch up with the stacks of unplayed games except that Keepsake and Law and Order Criminal Intent have just arrived...must go... wave

"Do you understand me?" Serena Joy
Re: retired gamers? #120342
04/08/06 06:56 AM
04/08/06 06:56 AM
joanieS Offline
Addicted Boomer
joanieS  Offline
Addicted Boomer

birthday tomorrow, Retired at last!!!!!!

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words." ...unknown
Re: retired gamers? #120343
04/08/06 08:57 AM
04/08/06 08:57 AM
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
lkgregorio Offline
Settled Boomer
lkgregorio  Offline
Settled Boomer

Cape Cod, Massachusetts
I first retired from engineering at 45, but it was more of a career change.
Then I started my own business, making custom made golf clubs and repairing clubs.

10 years later, I sold that business and my wife and I moved to, Southern Pines, North Carolina.
We wanted to get away from the ice and snow of the Boston area.

There we built a beautiful home, but alas, when the first summer came and the temp. was in the 90's every day for months, we put the house on the market, and eventually moved back to New England. Strange as it may seem, we found that we could handle the cold better then the heat.

We bought our first computer in N.C. and that's when I was introduced to "Myst". I have been hooked on adventure games ever since.

I am now 67, we live on Cape Cod, I make furniture as a hobby, I still love adventure games and I am very glad I found "GameBoomers".

Some very nice and very helpful people hang out here. LOU

"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member." Groucho Marx
Re: retired gamers? #120344
04/08/06 01:58 PM
04/08/06 01:58 PM
Texas
nickie Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
nickie  Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
Adept Boomer

Texas
What a wonderful thread you started, bigmamma! When I retired in 1993, I had never previously played that many games - just here and there as time would allow. That sure changed in a hurry! All these games are certainly an incentive to live to a very old age to try and complete all of them. laugh

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Re: retired gamers? #120345
04/08/06 02:21 PM
04/08/06 02:21 PM
Scotland
MsMercury Offline
Adept Boomer
MsMercury  Offline
Adept Boomer

Scotland
Like Aretha, I retired at an earlier age than most, to look after hubby who's disabled. I'm now 53 and to be able to play my favourite games on my own computer is just bliss. With so many great games out there, I'll be kept 'busy' for a long time to come happydance

Cheers!

Mary wave

"It's not what you have in your life
but who you have in your life that counts." puppy

I'm not getting old....just 'Marvelously Mature'! grin
Re: retired gamers? #120346
04/08/06 04:53 PM
04/08/06 04:53 PM
florida
bigmamma1 Offline OP
Settled Boomer
bigmamma1  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

florida
happydance

People do not remember how much you know,only how you make them feel
finished Gray Matter, playing Alice Madness returns and Deponia
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (judith, Orion, 1 invisible), 245 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users