GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Is Difficulty Simply in the Eye of the Beholder? #122403
04/27/03 11:38 PM
04/27/03 11:38 PM
U.S.A. Maryland
Matt Offline
Shy Boomer
Matt  Offline
Shy Boomer

U.S.A. Maryland
Do not feel bad anyone. I am playing GK3 and it took four months to get Mosely's wallet. You have no idea how elated I was when I did it!!

Matt

Re: Is Difficulty Simply in the Eye of the Beholder? #122404
04/28/03 01:41 AM
04/28/03 01:41 AM
USA
Advpuzlov Offline
Addicted Boomer
Advpuzlov  Offline
Addicted Boomer

USA
I was all set to comment on BECKY's note, but when I dropped down the thread I saw that I would just be echoing JENNY100's reply. But also, I think that a bit of background in mathematics would help one deal with, e.g., base whatever problems such as are found in RAMA.

I have a little battery-operated piano keyboard which I pull out when I need to remember tunes. I can then write them out in musical notation and repeat them at will. That is sometimes very convenient.

I used to regularly use graph paper to draw out mazes, back in the days when it was either R, L, or straight ahead. Now that you can go off at various angles, it is much more difficult for me since my drawing powers are rudimentary, to say the least. As far as drawing is concerned, I am devoted to HyperSnap, which takes pics which can then be massaged to bring out faint writing and figures as well as allowing me to annotate them. I can then print them out and use them to aid in solving puzzles or avoid lengthy copying of documents, to say nothing of adding to the completeness of my game journals. I don't know what I would do without that most useful program. smile

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle
Re: Is Difficulty Simply in the Eye of the Beholder? #122405
04/28/03 05:19 AM
04/28/03 05:19 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline OP
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline OP
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Stony Brook, New York, USA
Matt -- four months to get a wallet? You must be VERY patient. Compared to this the spiky wall seems like child's play.

Umm, it turns out there IS an alternate strategy to the spiky wall (she said sheepishly). I didn't discover it myself, and it is so obvious that I am feeling like an idiot. AAARRHHHGHH. The spiky wall still isn't easy, but it isn't as hard as I was making it either.

Spoiler
@
@
@
@
@
@
@
@
@
@
@
@
@
@
@
@
Instead of taking the long way down the path as the wall starts toward you, just jump across to where the path rewinds.
@
@
@
@
@
@
@
@
@
@
Advpuzlov -- wow, you are a professional! I've never used Hypersnap, but it does sound like a great aid to those (like me) who have no ability to draw. Maybe some ambitious entrepreneur will come along and create a website that sells Adventure Gamer aids -- miniature piano keyboards, 3D graph paper, monitor-sized string with the tape already attached.

Lansanidine -- I actually have Schizm on my list to review. I will remember what you said!

You bring up another point that is a problem for reviewers. That is, how to give a sense of the game without giving away too much of the plot or taking away some of the surprise the player wants to experience while exploring new worlds. Some readers don't want anything given away in a review, while others want to feel like they've been given a taste of the game before making a decision to buy. This tension is also difficult to resolve.

Re: Is Difficulty Simply in the Eye of the Beholder? #122406
04/28/03 09:16 AM
04/28/03 09:16 AM
Cambridge, England
Kickaha Offline
Addicted Boomer
Kickaha  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Cambridge, England
I tend to avoid reading reviews for games I'm thinking of buying because they're in a series or have a writer I like or something along those lines. Reviews can be works of art in their own right - rhapsodies about people's favourite games. It's good to see people enthusing about a particular game, to know that gaming can still be fun.

Personally I'd love to see something less than a full-fledged review which would cover does a game have timed sequences, tone matching puzzles, arcade sequences, etc. That would be valuable info when considering whether to buy or not. Yet preserved would be that sense of discovery as you play a game which Becky so cogently mentioned in her previous post.

Regards, Peter.

Used to answer to "Peter Smith", now answers to "Peter Rootham-Smith"
Re: Is Difficulty Simply in the Eye of the Beholder? #122407
04/28/03 11:20 AM
04/28/03 11:20 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Singer:
That's really the point, lasanidine. You CAN'T tell someone what [b]they can expect from a game, and there IS no "definitive" word on any game. There are as many different opinions on games, and aspects of games, as there are people playing them, and it's really reviewer arrogance to think they can speak for anyone but themselves.

I'm sure there are a great many people who would disagree with your assessment of the most informative thing you could say about Schizm.

Jack [/b]
I got a good idea of what Schizm was like by reading more than one review of it. I don't bother with reviews by people who don't like adventure games. But when reviewers who enjoy adventure games don't agree about a game, you get a better picture of what the game is like than any one reviewer could give you.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 144 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users