GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
The Adventure Shop Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#122666 - 05/16/03 09:56 PM Re: Jane Jensen and The Adventure Company
burpee Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: North aurora IL
Thanks for all your efforts too HerrBearen smile

#122667 - 05/16/03 10:05 PM Re: Jane Jensen and The Adventure Company
HerrBearen Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia, USA
Thanx Burpee. smile
#1BEARcave & #2BEARcave

#122668 - 05/17/03 10:35 AM Re: Jane Jensen and The Adventure Company
JeanneM Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: North Carolina
I wonder ... could her new game have anything to do with her newest book being released in Aug. 2003 "Dante's Equation"???

Jane Jensen's Web Page

For hundreds of links to Previews & Reviews, Walkthroughs, Cheats & Hints, visit Jeanne's Great Game Links

#122669 - 05/17/03 06:04 PM Re: Jane Jensen and The Adventure Company
rtrooney Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Chicago, IL
Thanks for the post. Very interesting. I wonder how this will work . To the best of my knowledge AC has never produced a game on its own. They only publish games produced by others. And Jane has, again to the best of my knowledge, never developed/produced a game while working on her own. I wonder who is providing the front money for this venture, which I imagine will be substantial.

Probably ten years ago Josh Mandel and I estimated the cost of developing and marketing a sequel to Freddy Pharkus Frontier Pharmacist to be in the $2-2.5 million range. (Assuming we could get the rights to the title from Sierra, which we couldn't.) The costs have to have gone up since then.

And the margins have gone down I bet. If you figure production/marketing costs (overhead) at $2.5 million, and gross profit (pre-tax) percentage at ten percent, then the standard business calculation, overhead divided by gross profit percentage equals the break even point, says that a selling price of $29/unit would require sales of slightly over 862,000 units to break even. That's an almost unheard-of figure in PC adventure games.

While I think the news is great, I just wonder how they're going to pull this off. And if it is unsuccessful, what does that say about similar ventures in the future?

#122670 - 05/17/03 06:50 PM Re: Jane Jensen and The Adventure Company
gatorlaw Offline
Adept Boomer

A high end game is pricy these days - but there has been an offset with time/cost saving terchnical advances so it appears that costs have stayed somewhat stable over time.

An article published last year about Syberia noted their production costs. [quote]Syberia was created by Microids Canada at their Montr

#122671 - 05/18/03 04:09 AM Re: Jane Jensen and The Adventure Company
ray Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Los Angeles
PATHETICALLY SHAMELESS NAMEDROPPING: Had dinner with Jane on Thursday night; saw a lot of her at E3; she and The Adventure Company are a perfect match I think. It was fun seeing the big fuss being made over her (cover of the convention newspaper, GameSpot interviewing her, etc.). It's nice when the deserving ones get the attention they deserve, isn't it? And she's but ONE of the venerable adventure game gurus who are cooking up new stuff.

#122672 - 05/18/03 07:59 AM Re: Jane Jensen and The Adventure Company
gatorlaw Offline
Adept Boomer

Quote:
It's nice when the deserving ones get the attention they deserve, isn't it?
Yes it is. Be as shameless as you want, uhmmm - well maybe not laugh But I love hearing all the buzz that Jane created and the well deserved love that was thrown her way. smile

Laura

#122673 - 05/18/03 08:04 AM Re: Jane Jensen and The Adventure Company
Polo Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Scotland
Hope the game they are working on will be great! i personally hope they go more story wise other than flash graphics and cutting the game story to half size.. but knowing Jane we wont be dissapointed smile great news!!

~Polo

#122674 - 05/18/03 08:34 AM Re: Jane Jensen and The Adventure Company
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Loc: Stony Brook, New York, USA
Quote:
And she's but ONE of the venerable adventure game gurus who are cooking up new stuff.
Are there any adventure game gurus working on new stuff that we don't know about yet? If there are, can you give us a hint?

Do you think that Jane Jensen represents a trend in adventure gaming -- that people who got out of the adventure business for awhile will now be coming back? If so, any idea as to why this is happening now?

#122675 - 05/18/03 01:05 PM Re: Jane Jensen and The Adventure Company
Witchen Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: Seattle Washington USA
My heart fairly soars, Ray! wink

Love, Witchen =O)

#122676 - 05/18/03 02:55 PM Re: Jane Jensen and The Adventure Company
Diamond Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally posted by rtrooney:
And the margins have gone down I bet. If you figure production/marketing costs (overhead) at $2.5 million, and gross profit (pre-tax) percentage at ten percent, then the standard business calculation, overhead divided by gross profit percentage equals the break even point, says that a selling price of $29/unit would require sales of slightly over 862,000 units to break even. That's an almost unheard-of figure in PC adventure games.
Which is why you need world-wide and cross-platform publication to maximise sales. And to make sure that development costs are minimised you also need to ensure that the platforms have as much commonality as possible, which in turn leads to interface decisions that some may prefer didn't happen.

Steve Ince, Writer-Designer
Steve on Twitter

#122677 - 05/18/03 05:21 PM Re: Jane Jensen and The Adventure Company
Fongo Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Bradford, ON
Steve, I think I speak for most people when I say that we would rather see Revolution make a few concessions on the interface with the aim of saving costs and making more games in the future, rather than being inflexible and running itself out of business.

#122678 - 05/19/03 07:12 AM Re: Jane Jensen and The Adventure Company
Steve Ince (at work) Offline
Shy Boomer

Loc: York
Thanks.

The interface was actually a pretty big hit at E3.

#122679 - 05/19/03 05:38 PM Re: Jane Jensen and The Adventure Company
rtrooney Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Chicago, IL
Oops! That didn't work as planned. (Perhaps the above message can be deleted)

>>Which is why you need world-wide and cross-platform publication to maximise sales.

Anyway. What you have said is a given. Another old business cliche... There are three ways to increase profit. Reduce costs. Increase sales. A combination of the two.

Obviously, porting the game to as many platforms as possible is a way to increase sales. I don't know if that is possible with one of Jane's games. I wouldn't think that games with as complex a story line as those Jane produces would port well to a console. Whether concessions will be made in order to enable porting, and thus increase sales, is a marketing question Jane and AC will have to make.

Jane's games fetch a premium price. And while AC's games generally retail in the $19-29 (USD) range, $49-$59 is not out of the question. Which certainly would cut down on the number of units that would have to be sold before they start earning a profit.

#122680 - 05/19/03 05:44 PM Re: Jane Jensen and The Adventure Company
KarenNJ Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Clarksboro, NJ
bravo bravo laugh laugh bravo bravo

Karen

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
6 registered (CanukDenis, Marian, curly, deleterman, looney4labs, Volkana), 94 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Newest Members
kooker1957, ctillis, GreenBoat, Spidermna133, kamoj
8495 Registered Users