GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
The Adventure Shop Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#123001 - 08/27/02 07:31 PM Re: Why trade?
audrey522 Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Gillette, Wyoming
Betty Lou, you can get Jazz & Faust at amazon used for $19. Not exactly cheap, but hey! Just trying to help.

#123002 - 08/27/02 07:44 PM Re: Why trade?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why is it only computer games???Do I have to call maytag and tell them I bought a used washer and give them a cut???

#123003 - 08/27/02 08:29 PM Re: Why trade?
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi.

Personally I don't reckon it's wise to condemn people out of hand because they're for looking to trade for a new or new-ish game wave

#123004 - 08/27/02 08:35 PM Re: Why trade?
Fongo Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Bradford, ON
please somebody hide this thread from TSS!!!!!

#123005 - 08/27/02 09:23 PM Re: Why trade?
Justine Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Australia
I agree with Billybob, Zanthia and Dawn.
There are a whole bunch of games that arent released for months, if ever out here in Western Australia, and I refuse to pay $60-$70 for postage which is what some of the online stores charge.
My hubbie and I are always buying games, so we are doing our little bit to support game developers etc, but if there is a game I want that I know isnt going to be released out here, then an option for me is to trade. Plus if I hadnt joined gametz I wouldnt have met so many wonderful people wave

#123006 - 08/27/02 10:08 PM Re: Why trade?
Namma Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: The Middle of the Sonoran Dese...
WOW! Everyone has a different point of view and what's really amazing is that everyone is right! I do a lot of buying and trading. I do believe in supporting the game companies and buy way more than I should sometimes. (Just ask that cowering C.C. next to my puter) But I also trade for a lot, usually the older games, but occassionally a new game too. Money is a big factor for most people and most of us are trying to save a buck or two when we can. If it's a game I really want I don't think twice about spending $50, but for a game that I'm on the fence about, $30 seems like an awful lot. Case in point, Jerusalem. Heard the game was less than what it should have been, (how's that for tact Laura?) but still wanted to take a look at it. Decisions, spend that $30 for a game that an established company produced or spend it on a new developer? I traded for Jerusalem and spent the money for Darkfall. And I'm quite happy with my choice.

I love buying through E-Bay and Half.com, but really have to laugh when I see a game selling used for more than a brand new copy. New games, used games, buy, trade, sell.......I do them all. I even buy several copies of new games sometimes to trade for older hard to get games. Bought 3 extra copies of Syberia and traded them for somethings I wanted within a few days.

But more than anyone else I agree with Fongo......hide this thread quick!

If you'll excuse me now, that C.C. has hidden in a drawer again and there is an auction I have to get to.

Hugs, Cheryl

#123007 - 08/27/02 10:39 PM Re: Why trade?
Scout Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Everyone has stated financial reasons in defense of trading games but no one, with the exception of Billy Bob, has mentioned the social aspect. How many traders have made friends through on-line trading? This shouldn't be left out of the equation.

#123008 - 08/27/02 11:02 PM Re: Why trade?
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Scout.

I Plead Guilty !!!!!

I've made a lot of nice friends through trading games laugh laugh laugh

Cheers.

Mad wave

#123009 - 08/28/02 12:01 AM Re: Why trade?
Namma Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: The Middle of the Sonoran Dese...
Scout, you are so right! Many of my games I treasure dearly, but not as much as all the wonderful friends that I have made. And the many more I hope to make.

Hugs, Cheryl

#123010 - 08/28/02 12:15 AM Re: Why trade?
ladyyve Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: La Puente, CA, USA
I'd be willing to bet that there are a lot of people out there that regret paying full price for Chateau D'Or now.

There will always be people out there looking for a better deal, be it games or clothes or appliances. To each his own.

Hopefully, there are enough of us supporting the gaming industry, including the independent games, by paying full price.

#123011 - 08/28/02 01:45 AM Re: Why trade?
T. Ritter Offline
Shy Boomer

Loc: Europe
Zanthia and Betty Lou, I´m not exactly rich myself. What I was trying to say was that WM is reasonably low in price compared to a lot of other games and that the price hardly can explain all the WM:s on the GTZ wanted lists. I didn´t mean "inexpensive" as in "anyone should be able afford it anytime". Really sorry if I have offended anyone.

My main point stands though, and it´s not about what you legally are entitled to do or not or what you do with your bought and used games. It´s about having the developers/publishers in mind when you´re putting one of their recently published or soon to be published games on your wanted lists at GTZ. If you still feel that for some good reason you should be trading for it, then fine. What bothers me is that some people seem to as a matter of routine put yet to be or recently published games on those lists.

Not to mention the pain in the a** it is when you get a match for, say, Broken sword 3 when you´re doing a "my matches" search... smile

#123012 - 08/28/02 02:16 AM Re: Why trade?
housewife Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Most of the times I trade games because I didn't like it or didn't work on my computer. And I do support the game developers. There are a whole lot of games new coming out and I want to buy them all. But can't afford some of them. Like some boomers here said, I will wait until the price has gone down. And if someone wants to trade their new game for an old game I have even if it is available, that is the traders choice.

I think we all here have done their share of supporting the game developers, and will continue to do so no matter what. Or we won't have anymore games to buy or trade. But they should be afforable.

If we continue to buy games and trade games in my opinion the adventure game keeps growing and the developers will keep making great games, and maybe, maybe the prices will go down, and will be able to afford most of them But, you have to support them. I love adventure games and I would do my best to keep or help in anyway to keep it strong.

That's my opinion.

Liz laugh

#123013 - 08/28/02 02:38 AM Re: Why trade?
SnowMoon Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by T. Ritter:
What bothers me is that some people seem to as a matter of routine put yet to be or recently published games on those lists.
I have done this for years now, and I will keep on doing it..... There are SO many games out there that I want to get that I couldn't possibly keep up with all of their titles, their websites, their release dates, and I am sure that if I didn't list them there I would forget some of the games that I really wanted to get down the road.... Just my two cents....

As for trading games, I think it is a great idea! It may introduce traders to a new style of game that they may not have known about previously, and may stimulate their interest in purchasing future games from those publishers...

It seems you are saying that I should just purchase all of my games "new" and directly from the publisher's and let them sit here on my shelves gathering dust for years after I have played them until they become "rare" so that I can go trade them... Not gonna happen... (Although I would be happy to do this if someone else is gonna flip the bill....everyone isn't born with a silver spoon, ya know....)

So I can say that it is very nice for those who have "money" to keep buying the games retail, but everyone can't do that....... And I don't think we should have to be "punished" by not being allowed to play the games that we would like to play just because we aren't rich..... You may say $20-$30 isn't that much money, but multiply that times a couple of dozen (estimate of newly released adventure games this year) and we are talking big bucks!

Again, just my two cents..... smile

#123014 - 08/28/02 07:04 PM Re: Why trade?
Deano Offline
Shy Boomer

Loc: Wolverhampton, UK
Am I the only person that just enjoys so much that feeling you get with a brand new game, taking off the shrink rap, reading through the manual (that isn't covered in coffee stains and creased)... its not the same with 2nd hand stuff!

#123015 - 08/28/02 07:14 PM Re: Why trade?
Marian Online   content
Graduate Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
Deano, I know exactly what you are talking about. I have games I bought in the last 2 years that are still in the shrinkwrap, just so I can get that "rush" with the new shrinkwrap and clean manual every so often, whenever the mood hits me. smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
17 registered (connie, curly, Jenny100, BrownEyedTigre, kjos, Kemal, dorish, dianne, Chief, 1 invisible), 97 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Moonbat, kooker1957, ctillis, GreenBoat, Spidermna133
8496 Registered Users