GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
The Adventure Shop Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#131209 - 01/27/06 07:09 PM Re: Starting a replay of Arcanum---any joiners?
metzomagic Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Sig, hi,

Quote:
That "page view" stat of yours is impressive, but the actual number is even higher because the Quandary page isn't the only place on the web that this guide of yours can be viewed, though it may be the nicest-looking
Yeah, I know. I'm also published on www.gamefaqs.com (which is probably where you found that text version), www.neoseeker.com, and on www.the-spoiler.com (Veikko Danilas, from Estonia by the way, is a web buddy of mine from way back, and you should check his site out because they have the greatest collection of adventure game walkthroughs on, like, the planet :-)

But Quandary is my spiritual home lately. I also do the *cough* site programming there.

Having said all that... there is no more single prolific walkthough writer than GameBoomers own MaG praise

Cheers,
metzomagic

Running old games in XP/Vista? Then visit Steve's XP Corner!

#131210 - 01/27/06 07:18 PM Re: Starting a replay of Arcanum---any joiners?
metzomagic Offline
Settled Boomer

PIB, Sig, hi,

Well... you've almost convinced me to undertake my 5th (I think) journey through the fabulous world of Arcanum. There are only 2 problems with this:

1. I've got the feeling that I've seen just about all there is to see.
2. I'm going away next Friday for 3 weeks.

Hmm,
metzomagic

#131211 - 01/28/06 09:19 AM Re: Starting a replay of Arcanum---any joiners?
Sig Segorn Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: southeastern Michigan
Oh, MaG is a big-time walkthrough writer? To borrow from Johnny Carson, I did not know that. Another feather in her cap. Gotta love her. Which reminds me . . . how is Zanthia doing? Does anyone know?

Yeah, Steve, I know that feeling . . . when you've played the heck out of a game. For me, that would be Lands of Lore 3---7 playthroughs---thorough ones. But the computer games I've played that I actually want to replay---only a half-dozen or so---are something special. Some elements they share are apparent, while others are hard to put your finger on and put into words. It's probably best to speak in generalities, like . . . yeah, you know all about it, but not only does that not spoil the fun, it makes it more fun. It's like re-watching a movie you like, but even better, and a lot longer. And I'll still be playing it a few weeks from now, and way beyond that. And you haven't done The Pits of Dernholm, have you? wink

#131212 - 01/28/06 07:25 PM Re: Starting a replay of Arcanum---any joiners?
Marian Offline
Graduate Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
Debra,

Have you tried posting here about your Might and Magic/Windows XP problem? Some of these people seem to know just about everything when it comes to getting Might and Magic to cooperate. It would certainly be worth a try.

http://telp.org/mm8/tavern/mm8tavern.html

That patch I told you about has worked for just about everyone, but since you can't even get the game to install, I would definitely ask about it here. smile

They have separate forums for all the Might and Magic games, by the way.

And sorry, Sig, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. smile

#131213 - 01/28/06 08:18 PM Re: Starting a replay of Arcanum---any joiners?
Schwab35 Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Los Angeles
Marian, I don't think I've ever seen that BBS, thank you so much for linking it, I have bookmarked it.
thumbsup

I am also guilty of hijacking the thread, sorry slapforehead

Playing: World of Warcraft; Geneforge 3

#131214 - 01/29/06 09:01 AM Re: Starting a replay of Arcanum---any joiners?
Debra Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Central Texas
Marian, thanks. I'll ask these folks. I've got it running on my old laptop with ME and no problems, but my husband uses that one so it's catch as catch can to play it.
Sig, I'm in Tarant and I have a catalog of quests already! I forgot that you had to get the wise women to identify your stuff or buy a very expensive spell so I'm making treks to the rural areas.
I've picked a half-elf character with "Debutante" scheme. I must admit I am always tempted to pick "Beat with an Ugly Stick" praise

#131215 - 01/29/06 06:03 PM Re: Starting a replay of Arcanum---any joiners?
metzomagic Offline
Settled Boomer

Sig, hi,

Quote:
Oh, MaG is a big-time walkthrough writer? To borrow from Johnny Carson, I did not know that. Another feather in her cap. Gotta love her.
Yup. She must have almost 100 games to her credit by now. She goes by the moniker of MaGtRo.

Quote:
And I'll still be playing it a few weeks from now, and way beyond that.
You almost have me persuaded to play again rolleyes

Quote:
And you haven't done The Pits of Dernholm, have you?
Been there, done that. Play all the way through as an evil character, and you can hardly miss the Pits.

Cheers,
metzomagic

#131216 - 01/29/06 06:09 PM Re: Starting a replay of Arcanum---any joiners?
metzomagic Offline
Settled Boomer

Debra, hi,

Quote:
P.S. Steve thanks so much for getting The Pandora Directive to work on my XP. Now I can play my favorite game of all time again!
No prob. The beauty of it is, once you get one game up and running in DOSBox, you know how to do them all thumbsup

metzomagic

#131217 - 01/29/06 11:31 PM Re: Starting a replay of Arcanum---any joiners?
Sig Segorn Offline
Addicted Boomer

Oh, I've seen some of her WTs, but I didn't know MaG was MaGtRo, probably cuz of how I pronounce them to myself---MaG as "maw gee" and MaGtRo as "mah GIT roh."

Debra, glad to have someone else along for this adventure. You're doin' good---you're where I'm at and I started days ahead of you. Yeah, I guess that's the only 2 ways to get items identified---well, you can also learn and cast the same spell that's on that super-expensive scroll (Divine Magick, I think it's called), but I think it's the highest level spell in that school, so your casting attempts will fizzle until you're good enough. But paying a wise woman 100 coins for this isn't too bad. You know there's one on the eastern outskirt of Tarant, right?

I'm doing good---enjoying it. I made a character, but just to get the portrait I wanted, I think. The same character I used the first time---a human male with the name I use here, who's mainly a technologist. I usually don't try different kinds of characters and paths when I replay games---it's ironic, I know, but the fact that you can do this means very little to me as far as replayability. Does your character lean more toward magic or technology? Did you do that side deal involving the spirit in that cave at the crash site? Cuz the blessing you get from the wizard he sends you to kill enhances NPCs' reactions towards you. Let's keep each other posted on our progress---it'll be fun.

#131218 - 01/30/06 07:34 AM Re: Starting a replay of Arcanum---any joiners?
popcorneater Offline
Adept Boomer

Loc: Virginia
Sounds like a good time..glad y'all are having fun

Debra, wave
The site Marian is referring to, works great.
Playing M&M VI on it now and not a problem.
Nickie also has it loaded on her new putie..and able to play very well...give that site a chance

Ingie laugh

#131219 - 02/01/06 07:24 PM Re: Starting a replay of Arcanum---any joiners?
Debra Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sig, I'm roaming the countryside, but I'm supposed to be getting rid of the bad guys at Gilbert Bate's warehouse.
This game makes me have ADD. I go to one quest and get another and want to do it and so on and so on.
My character is just a hair toward technology, but I love magic so I'm sure I'll edge back the other way sooner or later.
I nearly got killed twice at Kree so I just used prowling, got the goods and got out. Anyway, how many $400 suits of Barbarian armor can one chick use? lol
I went to Ashbury just to get Dog. I love dogs and I couldn't leave him there to be abused. mad
Ingie, I will go over to the site and look again, but right now I'm remembering why I loved Arcanum.

#131220 - 02/02/06 06:54 AM Re: Starting a replay of Arcanum---any joiners?
Sig Segorn Offline
Addicted Boomer

Hi, Debra. You're a little ahead of me, but I wanted to do all the Tarant side quests I could before getting into the jeweler and Bates stuff. Yeah, the world map travel is good in this game, isn't it? Was that Baldur's Gate that had a similar system? Think so, but it was more worrisome as far as what you might get waylaid by. I know what you mean about the Attention Deficit Disorder. New quests are always popping up, but I like how the game doesn't really rush you along at all. Even the old-timey strings music and the way a lot of the NPCs just stand motionless is conducive to taking your time. As we both know, it's a big game, so it's good to just settle into it for as long as it takes, and just follow your druthers, but try to be prepared for the more challenging deals by the time you take them on.

It's interesting that your character is more magic-inclined than mine. Haven't been to Kree yet. Just have Virgil and Sogg right now, but I'm gonna go get Dog as soon as I get another chance to pick up that edition of the newspaper that I think puts Ashbury on your map. I've briefly been to Dernholm and Black Root for Tarant-related reasons, and have done other places like the Wolf Cave and that ancient Elven burial site. I think we'll be doing the P. S????? & Sons deal in the next session. It's nice comparing notes with you.

#131221 - 02/02/06 07:06 PM Re: Starting a replay of Arcanum---any joiners?
Debra Offline
Addicted Boomer

I'm looking for the Medallion of Beauty for Madam Lil, but I forget where to find it.
Also, how do you quick save the game? I have misplaced my little booklet.
I have Magus Shalefist, Dog, Virgil, and Sogg in my group so far. I know some didn't like Virgil, but I do. I'd rather have personality than power in my groups. Causes me to die a lot sometimes, but I usually manage to muddle through.
I'm so glad you brought the game up again. It's just a neat experience thumbsup

#131222 - 02/03/06 09:33 AM Re: Starting a replay of Arcanum---any joiners?
Sig Segorn Offline
Addicted Boomer

That Medallion of Beauty is supposed to be on the only woman in the King's Inn & Pub in Dernholm, but, in my case, it wasn't---maybe later in the game. It's also supposed to be tricky swiping it off her, so do a save first.

There's no Quick Save in this game---I just checked the manual for myself on that. Bit of a bummer. Wonder why they didn't put that feature in? Besides hard saves, there's only Auto Save and Auto Load in the manual's hotkey list. These are F7 and F8, respectively.

My new copy of the game from GoGamer in a DVD hard case (it's the full English import version) didn't even have the manual on the CDs, but I found it available on-line. Here's a link to the web page I got it from:

Arcanum Manual

Yeah, I like Virgil, Sogg, and Dog. Can't remember who else I picked up in the first playthrough, but I don't care for Magnus---he just seems like another dwarf with an attitude to me. We just did the P. (whatever) & Sons deal. It was no problem, but trying to clear out The Boil just before that was. I'll have to come back to that later. The character editor I need to use only lets you edit skills, spells, and schematics, so my main character can still pass out or get killed if I'm not careful.

#131223 - 02/05/06 12:45 AM Re: Starting a replay of Arcanum---any joiners?
PeggyH Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Houston TX USA
Hi, Deb & Sig. I have been playing a few days now and am just beginning to understand how to do things. This is my first try at this game though I've had it on the shelf for a while. Printed my manual off the CD and it is 190 pages of "Arcanum Speak". Something else to dig though for help! Thank goodness for Steve's walkthrough! bravo praise

So far I am really enjoying the game and am quickly becoming addicted. I have made it to Tarant, but am just wandering around finding my way and adding quests as I explore. I like the log book, both quest listings and rumors. Quite helpful.

Now to sleep

Peggy

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
1 registered (dragonuk44), 50 Guests and 81 Spiders online.
Newest Members
dorf, Wendy, SamCarterX, Challyn20, Poppysmom
8424 Registered Users