GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage    
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#135444 - 04/20/04 12:07 PM Forever Worlds 98SE / ME: The Solution
MrLipid Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Land of 10,000 Lakes
Here is what actually needs to be done to run Forever Worlds on 98SE and ME. (For all those still running Win98 First Edition, you can stop reading now. Windows Media Player 9 will not run on 98 and without Windows Media Player 9, Forever Worlds won't run. Sorry.)

The secret is to install (or reinstall), in a specific order, a specific group of support programs. Speaking as someone who has tried everything else, nothing else works like this.

EXISTING INSTALLATIONS

If you have already installed Forever Worlds, do the following. It is not necessary to reinstall Forever Worlds itself.

STEP ONE: Install the latest version of DirectX directly from Microsoft. (You'll find it HERE .) This is version 9.0b. Even if you have already installed 9.0b, do it again. A reinstall never hurt and this is as much about getting all the dependencies right as it is about getting all the apps in place. So, install (or reinstall) DirectX 9.0b. (If you have philosophical issues with DirectX 9, fine. Don't install it. Just don't expect Forever Worlds to run because DirectX 9.0b is essential for the functioning of the next item you are going to install.)

STEP TWO: Install Windows Media Player 9 direct from Microsoft. (You'll find it HERE .) Let WMP9 associate itself with all the files it wants to...especially the video files.

STEP THREE: Find the right video driver for your card and download it directly from the manufacturer. If, like I do, you have an nVidia card, version 53.04 seems a bit more stable than version 56.64. I've also heard from some folks that the older Radeon drivers work better. Your mileage may vary.

STEP FOUR: Install the DivX 5.1.1 Codec, either from the Forever Worlds CD or the DivX website. DO NOT INSTALL THE DIVX PLAYER.

You are now ready to play Forever Worlds. If you click on the desktop icon and still get the logo-logo-lockup problem, it can be cured by running a video in WMP9 before asking Forever Worlds to load.

NEW INSTALLATIONS

STEP ONE: The installation routine will ask to check for DirectX 9 and, if it is not present, to install it. You don't have a choice here so, if it is not present, say "Yes."

STEP TWO: You will be asked to install the DivX Codec. Install the Codec but not the DivX Player.

STEP THREE: Install the game.

STEP FOUR: Once the Forever Worlds is installed, follow the steps listed above for an Existing Installation.

That's it. That's the Secret Sauce that's necessary to put Forever Worlds on its feet in 98SE and ME. Enjoy!

#135445 - 04/20/04 04:28 PM Re: Forever Worlds 98SE / ME: The Solution
chrisdist Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: NY, NY
mr. Lipid do I have to RE-install everything i.e. Media Player if its already installed? Is this your solution or form TAC.?

#135446 - 04/20/04 04:33 PM Re: Forever Worlds 98SE / ME: The Solution
MrLipid Offline
Addicted Boomer

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisdist:
mr. Lipid do I have to RE-install everything i.e. Media Player if its already installed? Is this your solution or form TAC.?
Yes, you have to reinstall everything in the order laid out in the list.

As for where the solution comes from, it comes from the head programmer on Forever Worlds. And it works. smile

#135447 - 04/20/04 04:44 PM Re: Forever Worlds 98SE / ME: The Solution
chrisdist Offline
Addicted Boomer

Mr. Lipid your wonderful. I have an Nvidia card with the latest drivers. Could you give me the link to the ideal drivers? I assume I'll have to install manually or should I try my drivers first...?

#135448 - 04/20/04 05:13 PM Re: Forever Worlds 98SE / ME: The Solution
MrLipid Offline
Addicted Boomer

You can try your drivers first, though, as mentioned, you'll still need to uninstall and reinstall.

Or you could go to the nVidia website and download the previous version from the driver archive. That would be the 53.04 drivers. Then when it comes time to change drivers, after the install of DirectX 9.0b and the WMP9, you can remove the latest drivers and replace them with the 53.04 drivers.

#135449 - 04/20/04 07:06 PM Re: Forever Worlds 98SE / ME: The Solution
Marian Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
MrLipid, I appreciate your posting these instructions. Also, thank you for your previous offer to burn CDs for those of us on dial-up. You really put a lot of time and effort into all of this and you have my gratitude. smile

Marian

#135450 - 04/20/04 07:10 PM Re: Forever Worlds 98SE / ME: The Solution
MrLipid Offline
Addicted Boomer

Marian,

Aw, shucks.... wink

Hope the instructions will get Forever Worlds on its feet for you. It's an interesting trip...

#135451 - 04/20/04 10:32 PM Re: Forever Worlds 98SE / ME: The Solution
Llewton Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Ardsley, New York
Hi Mr. Lipid,
Thanks for the instructions, however I followed them as stated, the game started playing and then started going like an unstoppable freight train (I'd click and I'd fly, screen spinning, sideways, up and down. Finally stopped it saved the game, then went back in again, got the 2 logo freeze! rebooted played a movie in Media Player and started up the game. Loaded fine then said it coudn't find files and I just got the scenery moving around and little else. any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,

Bill

#135452 - 04/20/04 10:40 PM Re: Forever Worlds 98SE / ME: The Solution
MrLipid Offline
Addicted Boomer

F1 brings up the in-game options menu.

It allows you to alter the panning speed (A to increase mouse speed, S to decrease mouse speed), Z to zoom in on node details, X to zoom out and R to reset the camera distance to default.

A right click brings up the main menu which is where games are saved.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but at least it sounds like you've gotten the game running...which is more than was happening to most folks, myself included, just a few days ago.

As for in-game error messages, I have no experience with them because I've never gotten any. My suggestion would be the old standby. Shut down, wait a few moments, reboot and see if Windows has forgotten what it was upset about.

#135453 - 04/21/04 11:53 AM Re: Forever Worlds 98SE / ME: The Solution
Llewton Offline
Addicted Boomer

Will try the slowdown suggestions tonight or tomorrow, depending on what time I get home tonight. The error messages seem to be coming from the game itself not windows (the message words just go accross the game screen not in a Windows dialogue box. If I uninstall the game do I have to go through the whole procedure again before reinstalling? Thanks for all your help with this one Mr Lipid.

Bill

#135454 - 04/21/04 12:33 PM Re: Forever Worlds 98SE / ME: The Solution
MrLipid Offline
Addicted Boomer

As far as I know, the game installation is actually separate from the setup so, no, no need to reinstall DirectX, Windows Media Player, etc.

#135455 - 04/21/04 02:30 PM Re: Forever Worlds 98SE / ME: The Solution
chrisdist Offline
Addicted Boomer

Mr. Lipid still won't work. May be you could clarify. It looks like when you do a new install your directions say to load the DivX codecs 2 seperate times. Is that correct? I.E. once when you load the game and then when reinstalling the other apps.....? Chris
PS-Now that you've got it to work is it worth it? Amazon said they'd take it back and credit me. My dog needs a new bed anyway.

#135456 - 04/21/04 03:12 PM Re: Forever Worlds 98SE / ME: The Solution
MrLipid Offline
Addicted Boomer

Yes, you load the DivX Codec twice. This is all about the order in which things are loaded, not whether or not they have been loaded before.

As for whether it's worth it or not, if your dog needs a new bed...well, what can I say? That's between you and your dog, isn't it?

#135457 - 04/21/04 08:25 PM Re: Forever Worlds 98SE / ME: The Solution
blondie_bc Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Western Canada
Mr. Lipid -- any suggestions for Sleeping Dragon on Win98 SE? The install bar completes then it just doesn't load anything.
Puter is AMD Athlon XP 2100
256 mg sd ram
120g h/d MSIK7N2 mainboard Radeon 128 nb video card, 9800 series
Sound card - I added Sound Blaster 16 pci 4.1 didgital
I also have nvida but it wouldn't work when my modem was loaded for some reason, which is why I got the Sblaster.
Thanks in advance if you have any ideas?

#135458 - 04/21/04 08:26 PM Re: Forever Worlds 98SE / ME: The Solution
Llewton Offline
Addicted Boomer

Ok Mr Lipid, Oh great Forever Worlds Guru, or anyone else who's gotten this far in. Everything was running smoothly actually perfect until now. Here it is:
Hi all,
I saw the book lying on the ground went to it , saw a flash of light and now it looks like I'm inside of a tree trunk. Explored a bit and was confronted with a bodyless face in tribal mask. There's also some sort of set up with gears which seem to be controlled by a series of keys below it. Now here's my problem with no clues as to how to set that up I haven't a clue what to do. I also don't know if I hit a glitch but when I right click the menu doesn't come up so I can't save a game and exit out. Had to reboot out. Not too far in so I can right back there but will I be stuck again f it's not a glitch or is HELP!!!!

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
6 registered (ArtDent, Haroula, Lex, Moondancer, traveler, Homer6), 42 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Newest Members
maggieann, charlene, mikcik, Trishpatsy, sosiebear1
8520 Registered Users