GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Under A Killing Moon Almost Running #137570
06/04/03 07:39 PM
06/04/03 07:39 PM
Washington, USA
Andy Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Andy  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Washington, USA
Hello there!

I am proud of myself, really. I looked at the posts here about getting this game installed, and I think I did it correctly - well, mostly. But now when I start it from the icon on my desktop, I get that initial shot after trying to start the game,it freezes and I can't do anything except exit the game!

What I did was follow the advice to install it and then check that box that says Prevent MS-DOS so you can start it from Windows (I have Win95).

So what I am doing, then, is clicking on that icon in Windows to start the game, right? I am NOT in DOS when I do that. Does that make a difference? Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should do to get it to work? I have a CD ROM drive that runs at 56x. Is this a problem? And if so, what can I do about it? (I have a P233 computer with 64 MB RAM).

Any suggestions are much appreciated, as always.

laugh Andy

Re: Under A Killing Moon Almost Running #137571
06/04/03 08:16 PM
06/04/03 08:16 PM
Glennville, Ga., USA
Albert Offline
Addicted Boomer
Albert  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Glennville, Ga., USA
Its been a while, but as best I recall after the initial install you have to run a setup thing to configure your sound card settings, etc. Have you done this part?

Best of luck, this is one of my favorite games of all time.

Albert

Re: Under A Killing Moon Almost Running #137572
06/05/03 12:15 AM
06/05/03 12:15 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
You may have to run the setup in DOS mode. I'm not sure.

The speed of your CD drive could be an issue later on though. I played Pandora Directive (the Tex game that came just after UAKM) with a 32x CD drive and it was a little fast for the game. I don't remember any problem when I first started, but when I changed CD's I had to be sure to click the OK before the CD had spun up to full speed or the game wouldn't be able to detect it properly.

Re: Under A Killing Moon Almost Running #137573
06/05/03 10:25 AM
06/05/03 10:25 AM
Washington, USA
Andy Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Andy  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Washington, USA
Hi Albert and Jenny,

Yes, I did set the sound for digital (it wouldn't work) and midi (it found a compatible setting) when installing, which was, as I say, in Windows. But it appeared to work - that is I got the message that the game had been installed successfully, and I was able to hear the sound test on the midi music. So all this was while I was in Windows. When I begin the game, the opening with that shot of a piece of film that rolls by just freezes. That's all I get.

Jenny, yes I did wait for the disk to spin up before clicking.

So do you think the problem is that I am working in Windows, even though I checked that box that said Prevent MS-DOS. If so, does anyone know where I can find specific instructions on how to install this from DOS? YEEEHAH!!

BTW, I installed the 1.95 and the 1.97 patches into the Moon folder. Hope this is correct. And I turned off my acceleration.

laugh Andy

Re: Under A Killing Moon Almost Running #137574
06/05/03 02:31 PM
06/05/03 02:31 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy:

Jenny, yes I did wait for the disk to spin up before clicking.
That's what you DON'T want to do (assuming this game is like Pandora Directive). Pandora Directive couldn't detect the CD properly when it had spun up to its full 32X, and your CD drive is even faster. It would only detect it AS it was spinning up, not afterward. Pandora was made for a 4X CD drive and UAKM for a 2X. They can work with faster drivers and will work better up to a point, but apparently 32X was past that point.

Of course your problem may be more related to your sound card. If you couldn't get the digital sound to detect properly, does the game have an option to play without digital sound?

Re: Under A Killing Moon Almost Running #137575
06/05/03 03:46 PM
06/05/03 03:46 PM
Los Angeles, CA. USA
lakerz Offline
Settled Boomer
lakerz  Offline
Settled Boomer

Los Angeles, CA. USA
There are some little freeware programs you can download that when run will slow down your cd-rom drive to whatever speed you set. Haven't tried them but they appear to work fine. Of course, this may not even be the problem you need to fix.

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas...
Re: Under A Killing Moon Almost Running #137576
06/05/03 03:55 PM
06/05/03 03:55 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
CD Bremse will do this if you're playing within Windows. Since I played the game in DOS mode, I couldn't use it. It doesn't work equally well for all drives though.

Re: Under A Killing Moon Almost Running #137577
06/05/03 04:15 PM
06/05/03 04:15 PM
Washington, USA
Andy Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Andy  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Washington, USA
Thanks for the suggestion, Jenny. I will try a quicker click and let you know. I'll get back to you all later.....
LATER: Well, that didn't work. It still freezes up at the very first screen frown Think I'll go back to the DOS info section and see if I can find any other suggestions. I am really lost when trying to start a game from DOS, but we'll see....Wish me luck!

laugh Andy

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Winfrey), 191 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users