Hi! I need help. Just in the last 2 days my computer has started to be VERY slow when it first starts up loading windows XP. It feels that after it gets through loading I can access my prgrams pretty much alright. Please help me...especially since I don't have an XP disk so I cant utilise that option to fix anything. First; Heres what I've done to try to fix this step by step.
1. First I went to start run msconfig and took out alot of stuff in the startup section that I KNEW I didn't not have to have. (Got a good knowledge of that area)
2.Ran RegScrub I run this quite often in fact.It pretty much finds the same 5 or 6 errors over and over again. I tell it to fix the problems. It fixes them. A little while later (at some point) the same errors show up in RegScrub again, IMPORTANT NOTE; These errors have been showing up for a LONG time ....way before I started having these current problems I am having now.
3 Checked DxDiag..It says no problems in Direct X 9 drivers none in Video Drivers None in Sound Drivers
4.Checked Device Manager No Red Exclamation Marks. No Yellow Exclamation marks.
5.Checked System Confiuration Utility Checked Boot paths in Boot.ini Says that is alright.
6.NOTE; After doing EACH of these things individually it made no difference in the EXTREMELY slow start up speed.
7 Cleared the cache in Netscape Internet Explorer
8. Downloaded a piece of software called Tune Up Utilities ran that. Didn't make it worse-Didn't make it better.
Virtual Memory is currently being taken care of by my machine not by me...yet when I run certain programs it talks about my machine needing more of this and I may experience a slowness while it increases virtual memory.
8. Outside of this can anyone tell me by my description of my problem what piece of hardware in my machine may be failing by my description?
If you can is there any test you can tell me I might could download to rule IN or OUT what piece of hardware might be failig?
10. Lastly (of course) Do have Virus Protection kept up to date consistently. Norton 2003 It finds no virus. Have a Firewall. No Trojans.
11. ANYTHING you could tell me would be GREATLY appreciated! I can't afford to have my technician out here at the mnoment. I want to thank you again profusely. You all are a GodSend!!! Michael firstname.lastname@example.org 609.695.0993 <img border="0" alt="
" title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" /> <img border="0" alt="
" title="" src="graemlins/woozy.gif" />