GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage    
Topic Options
#138310 - 06/02/04 06:20 AM Market Views
gatorlaw Offline
Adept Boomer

You have always engaged with gamers in forums and through your BLOG etc

What is your take on the current gamers,any neglected groups?

What reaches buyers for adventure games - what doesn't?

#138311 - 06/02/04 06:39 AM Re: Market Views
Diamond Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Yorkshire
In your first question, are you talking about gamers in general or adventure gamers? I'm not quite sure what you mean by current gamers.

Clearly BSTSD didn't reach the buyers - or not enough of them - so it's a little hard to judge objectively.

The market for adventure games has shrunk, which doesn't mean that quality games cannot be made, just that they need to be made more cost-effectively.

Steve Ince, Writer-Designer
Steve on Twitter

#138312 - 06/02/04 07:33 AM Re: Market Views
Kickaha Offline
GB Special Events Reporter
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Cambridge, England
Was changing the style of gameplay from BS1 and BS2 a problem for BSTSD?

Did you hope BSTSD would have cross-genre appeal?

#138313 - 06/02/04 07:38 AM Re: Market Views
conmol Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Hudson River Valley NY USA
Companies must do market research...I mean here in North America it seems that the biggest demographic wants realistic games with heavy duty weaponry and by that I mean Grand Theft Auto, Splinter Cell, Halo 2 etc. Games like Broken Sword, Beyond Good and Evil and even Prince of Persia don't see as well (for lack of a better term call it action-lite). Do you think theres another answer to the conundrum that is North America?

#138314 - 06/02/04 07:50 AM Re: Market Views
Diamond Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Smith:
Was changing the style of gameplay from BS1 and BS2 a problem for BSTSD?

Did you hope BSTSD would have cross-genre appeal?
I don't think the style of gameplay was very much different at all. The presentation and interface were the big differences.
Rather than having cross-genre appeal, we hoped to appeal to gamers who have tastes that span a number of genres. Which might be the same thing.

Quote:
Originally posted by conmol:
Companies must do market research...I mean here in North America it seems that the biggest demographic wants realistic games with heavy duty weaponry and by that I mean Grand Theft Auto, Splinter Cell, Halo 2 etc. Games like Broken Sword, Beyond Good and Evil and even Prince of Persia don't see as well (for lack of a better term call it action-lite). Do you think theres another answer to the conundrum that is North America?
There is no answer. smile
In general, European games seem to struggle to gain a proper foothold in the US. Sometimes it's down to Sony US not giving approval to the game. Sometimes publishers fail to get behind the game. Sometimes it's a mystery.
Prince of Persia did better overall, but I know what you mean. I was surprised that Beyond Good and Evil didn't do better as it's a fabulous game, spoilt only by weak cameras in places.

Steve Ince, Writer-Designer
Steve on Twitter

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
13 registered (BrownEyedTigre, Cue, Ewil02, birddog, BobH, lanlynk, Gimme, CanukDenis, kjos, 1 invisible), 78 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Elentgirl, tiathyme, Mr_Underhill, Lani, Rachissa
8581 Registered Users