GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Elaboration requested #138604
02/16/05 05:54 AM
02/16/05 05:54 AM
Texas
nickie Offline OP
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
nickie  Offline OP
Adept Boomer

Texas
I thought the dialog in the game was excellent. Did you model some of the characters from people you know, and was the philosophy of the antique dealer based on your own?

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Re: Elaboration requested #138605
02/16/05 09:36 AM
02/16/05 09:36 AM
M
MartinGantefohr Offline
Shy Boomer
MartinGantefohr  Offline
Shy Boomer
M

Thanks nickie!

I think this a question that is very central to writing, and I guess every writer has a very personal approach of how to come up with characters.

First of all: If writing was always autobiographical, then I can only hope I'll never meet the writer of American Psycho. smile

Having said that, I'll say that I piece together characters using my imagination and my memory - and that can mean that I refer to situations or conversations that I have witnessed or experienced myself, or to views that are my own.

But I'm more proud of characters that I personally disagree with, because writing against your own beliefs and still make it consistent and believable is more difficult and therefore more challenging.

The antique shop owner makes a lot of good points in his dialogue, I agree with much of it, but not with all of it. He's very much stuck in the past, and very bitter.

Re: Elaboration requested #138606
02/16/05 12:46 PM
02/16/05 12:46 PM
Virginia's wetland dimension
Salar of Myst Offline
Addicted Boomer
Salar of Myst  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Virginia's wetland dimension
to give full due to points of view that arent your own says very good things about the writer. Looking forward to seeing what that gentleman has to say now thumbsup

Are there any characters with which you particularly identify?

Susan wave

Re: Elaboration requested #138607
02/16/05 01:27 PM
02/16/05 01:27 PM
M
MartinGantefohr Offline
Shy Boomer
MartinGantefohr  Offline
Shy Boomer
M

Quote:
Are there any characters with which you particularly identify?
Hmmmm. It's rather relationships between characters that I like. The relationship between Peter and Brian, while not dug into that deep, has emotional meaning to me. The (optional) dispute scene the two have later in the game is one that I'm proud of.

Re: Elaboration requested #138608
02/17/05 02:20 AM
02/17/05 02:20 AM
Texas
nickie Offline OP
nickie  Offline OP
Adept Boomer

Texas
I laughed out loud at the sparring that went on between Brian, Peter and the engineer, very natural. I would have liked to talk to more people there, like the guy who is laid back in his chair and didn't work, and the receptionist. Guess you have to draw the line somewhere though...

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Re: Elaboration requested #138609
02/17/05 06:15 AM
02/17/05 06:15 AM
M
MartinGantefohr Offline
Shy Boomer
MartinGantefohr  Offline
Shy Boomer
M

Quote:
Guess you have to draw the line somewhere though...
Dialogue is one thing that one can quickly get a little carried away with. 7,600 lines are a whole lot already, and a few people say the game is too chatty.

While I actually disagree with that, I have to accept that the more dialogue a game has, the more it needs to support voice acting with camera work and body acting. Otherwise you're left with something like a stage drama or a radio play with pictures.

That's why, as I said in another thread, improving the body acting is definitely something that we will work on in future projects.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Draclvr, 1 invisible), 232 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users