GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
From MOTD to TMOS #138744
02/17/05 04:40 AM
02/17/05 04:40 AM
Texas
nickie Offline OP
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
nickie  Offline OP
Adept Boomer

Texas
Martin, were there things that you learned from developing Mystery of the Druids and fan feedback that had a direct bearing on the development of TMOS?

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Re: From MOTD to TMOS #138745
02/17/05 05:08 AM
02/17/05 05:08 AM
M
MartinGantefohr Offline
Shy Boomer
MartinGantefohr  Offline
Shy Boomer
M

Oh yes. Ooooohhh yes.

We knew that we were going to throw the MOTD engine overboard and rewrite it from scratch.

But there was a lot a player and reviewer feedback that we always kept in mind when developing MOS. Integration of puzzles into the story was one major aspect. Puzzle fairness. Narrative pace. Difficulty level. Character depth. Dialogue trees (!). A lot of things.

The bad thing about MOTD was that it was criticised in almost all areas. The good thing about it was that much of the critcism was true, insightful and motivating.

MOTD was a debut game, and that meant much of it had to be created in a sort of dada-collage way. We would run into fundamental problems all the time, and we'd constantly find ourselves trying to work around them or fix things, which made the overall game feel incoherent and patchy.

Parts of MOTD's dialogue would try to force link problematic parts of the game design together rather than drive a story forward.

I recently replayed MOTD and found myself smiling about many things we did. In a way, it's like watching Plan 9 from Outer Space or something like that.

But I'm proud of MOTD. smile It has a some weird kind of charme. It was the start to something, and we knew we could do a lot better. smile

Re: From MOTD to TMOS #138746
02/17/05 05:40 AM
02/17/05 05:40 AM
Texas
nickie Offline OP
nickie  Offline OP
Adept Boomer

Texas
Great answer, thank you! As good as TMOS is, I can't wait to see what your next game is like! Now that this game is finished, are you seeing some things that you would change for your next game?

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on."
Re: From MOTD to TMOS #138747
02/17/05 01:03 PM
02/17/05 01:03 PM
M
MartinGantefohr Offline
Shy Boomer
MartinGantefohr  Offline
Shy Boomer
M

Quote:
are you seeing some things that you would change for your next game?
More things to do. More interactivity. More body acting. And: more sleep for the development team.

smile

Re: From MOTD to TMOS #138748
02/17/05 02:16 PM
02/17/05 02:16 PM
Texas
nickie Offline OP
nickie  Offline OP
Adept Boomer

Texas
lol Sleep just takes a lot of time out of the day! That's great about more interactivity. I have to confess I played around with that displayed space suit in TMOS for hours (on the space thingee) - I was sure there was something I could do with it! laugh

Re: From MOTD to TMOS #138749
02/18/05 06:47 AM
02/18/05 06:47 AM
M
MartinGantefohr Offline
Shy Boomer
MartinGantefohr  Offline
Shy Boomer
M

Quote:
have to confess I played around with that displayed space suit in TMOS for hours (on the space thingee) - I was sure there was something I could do with it!
You mean on Lunar 5? Oh yeah, that was an idea we had, too. Btw, we also had a puzzle planned that involved the diving gear and the Zeppelin hull...

I'm kind of sad we had no time to include the two, but time and money just ran out at some point.

Re: From MOTD to TMOS #138750
02/18/05 02:55 PM
02/18/05 02:55 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Ganteföhr:
[qb]

But I'm proud of MOTD.
It has a some weird kind of charme. It was the start to something, and we knew we could do a lot better. [/qb]
I liked it. It had it's problems but it also had great moments. The first time I arrived at Twelve Bridges was one of my favorite moments in gaming. I remember around the time MOTD first came out someone was asking if it was a real place, like Stonehenge.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 288 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users