All aboard the list train for the 8th time around.
For newbies or us forgettful oldies, the aim of this thread is to compile a list of adventure game recommendations from the collected wisdom of everyone here. It is intended to be a resource to help people decide which game to play next.
When I first joined GB, my best source of game recommendations was other boomers. I had no idea there were so many adventure games. I wanted to find out what was good and what to play. The resulting list, and lists for each subsequent year, are the thoughts of all participating boomers.
The method is simple. You list 20 games - yep this year it is 20 - you would recommend to someone looking for opinions on which games to play. They are not necessarily your own top 20 games but they might be. You might decide instead to recommend a cross-section of styles or types, from all the games you have played. You might not recommend one of your personal favourites because your passion for the game is too much a result of your own idiosyncracies at the time you played it. You also might not recommend it because it is notoriously hard to get running on anything later than an abacus. But there is no rule that says you can’t recommend such games; it is entirely up to you.
No game is excluded, if it meets the criteria of being an adventure game. We all know what that is when we see it, so don’t get too hung up on the detail.
There are some rules though:
1. You can recommend a maximum of 20 games. You can choose to recommend less.
2. You cannot recommend a series. If you want to recommend all the Tex Murphy games, that will take 5 seperate recommendations, one for each game.
3. Myst and RealMyst will be counted as one game.
4. Uru and its add ons will be counted as one game.
5. BadMojo and the Redux version are one game.
6. Directors cuts will be counted as the same game.
7. Adventure games only please (Dark Side games get their own list later).
The thread stays open for about three weeks, and I will post intermittent updates with gratuitously pithy commentary. I count as we go so try not to edit your recommendations once you post. And as I say every year it is compulsory to get more posts than the year before.
I am going last so someone else gets to go first.