GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek [Re: Marian] #161708
06/18/07 07:26 PM
06/18/07 07:26 PM
Texas
D
Donnakaren Offline
Settled Boomer
Donnakaren  Offline
Settled Boomer
D

Texas
Originally Posted By: Marian
I enjoyed the cooking at first. But after a while it became irritating due to having to keep track of what time it was. Offhand I can't think of any adventure game I've ever played where having to keep track of time on a regular basis didn't seem a nuisance and an interference. Perhaps there is one, but I can't think of any right now.

I got sick of cooking too- so just didn't do it anymore unless it was necessary to do to complete the survey. I just took the "scolding" and moved on with the game. My problem with the games is the endings lately- the reasons why the culprit did what they did. Very unsatisfying and really not connected to the game. I also don't like how task oriented they have become- less sleuthing and much more work! (Kapu Cave and this one in particular- as well as Danger by Design- except that was shopping)

"I didn't survive cancer three times to die of stress!"
Re: Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek [Re: Donnakaren] #161724
06/18/07 08:02 PM
06/18/07 08:02 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Originally Posted By: Donnakaren
I got sick of cooking too- so just didn't do it anymore unless it was necessary to do to complete the survey. I just took the "scolding" and moved on with the game.

It never occurred to me to try to bail on my kitchen duties. I just assumed I'd be fired if I tried to do that. slapforehead That's very good to know! smile

Re: Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek [Re: Marian] #161761
06/18/07 09:16 PM
06/18/07 09:16 PM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

One other way is to sleep through it. wink

Re: Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek [Re: MaG] #161763
06/18/07 09:21 PM
06/18/07 09:21 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Online content
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Online Content
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
And to think I slept and set the alarm so I could hurry up and get the chores over with. lol I set it for maid sleep breakfast sleep Lunch sleep dinner sleep slapforehead

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek [Re: Darleen03] #161793
06/18/07 10:45 PM
06/18/07 10:45 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Celtic Lark Offline
Settled Boomer
Celtic Lark  Offline
Settled Boomer

Los Angeles, CA
LOL Me too, BET. I spent a whole day once just sleeping until each of my cooking times arrived. I was trying to trigger something. Can't remember what.

I agree that the games are getting tedious. The first one I was really disappointed with was the Old Clock. I spent half the game driving around, trying not to hit pot holes, to make money to pay whoever it was I was paying. I think for pictures? I have no brain for the details when I finish a game.

And I noticed this time that the spooky music was missing. It really adds to the game and the feeling of suspense and I missed it. There was some music at certain points but not the trademark music that I associate with ND.

I just didn't feel spooked this time. I think I will write to Her Interactive as well. Good idea whoever suggested that.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

URU KI #03564317
Re: Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek [Re: Jenny100] #161825
06/19/07 02:47 AM
06/19/07 02:47 AM
West London, UK
JennyP Offline
Adept Boomer
JennyP  Offline
Adept Boomer

West London, UK
Tennistiger, you are joking, right? I could not do that sewing puzzle at all & a nice kind person had to send me a save. I cannot sew in real life either.

When in doubt, cuddle a catcatrub
Re: Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek [Re: JennyP] #161831
06/19/07 03:03 AM
06/19/07 03:03 AM
near London Gatwick Airport
aretha Offline
Settled Boomer
aretha  Offline
Settled Boomer

near London Gatwick Airport
The voice of dissent here. I loved White Wolf except for the Fox/geese game which I couldn't master. One of my favourite things about the Nancy Drew games is the chores. I wonder if I like them because I do very little cooking at home. A nice lady does my ironing and another nice lady does my cleaning, not to mention my handyman/gardener.

So I choose not to do repetitive chores in reality but I love doing them in games! It seems I'm on my own here!

"Do you understand me?" Serena Joy
Re: Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek [Re: aretha] #161959
06/19/07 08:30 AM
06/19/07 08:30 AM
T
tennistiger Offline
Junior Boomer
tennistiger  Offline
Junior Boomer
T

I love doing chores to but not in real life! JennyP i can sew really good in real life so the puzzle was easy for me!

Re: Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek [Re: tennistiger] #161960
06/19/07 08:33 AM
06/19/07 08:33 AM
T
tennistiger Offline
Junior Boomer
tennistiger  Offline
Junior Boomer
T

can anyone give me a saved game after the fox and geese game?

Re: Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek [Re: tennistiger] #161966
06/19/07 08:40 AM
06/19/07 08:40 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Online content
BrownEyedTigre  Online Content
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Tennistiger, please post in Hints for this, they will be happy to assist you there. luck

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #162034
06/19/07 10:23 AM
06/19/07 10:23 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Stony Brook, New York, USA
Welcome to GameBoomers tennistiger! welcome It's great to meet another Nancy Drew fan.

Re: Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek [Re: Becky] #162458
06/19/07 11:52 PM
06/19/07 11:52 PM
Seattle
K
KristiC Offline
Settled Boomer
KristiC  Offline
Settled Boomer
K

Seattle
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is feeling let down by the ND games of late. While I thought White Wolf was a definite step in the right direction after Kapu Cave (which I found truly dreadful), it still relied way too much for my taste on repetitive tasks and arcade-style games--when I realized I'd have to have a snowball fight every time I wanted to pass Freddie, my language was definitely not safe for ages 10 to adult. ;-) Playing a ND game used to be like sinking into a nice cozy but confounding mystery novel--now it feels more like a too-linear, too-shallow story padded with chores and hand-eye coordination tests.

Maybe I should write to Her Interactive too and tell them how bereft I feel. Or seeing as how they are right up the road from me in Seattle, I could try for a personal audience. ;-)

Re: Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek [Re: KristiC] #164570
06/24/07 09:12 AM
06/24/07 09:12 AM
Delaware
Tracy Offline
Addicted Boomer
Tracy  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Delaware
KristiC, Ana and the gang,

I'm SO glad to hear that I'm not the only one who feels this way about recent ND games. What a relief! I used to be so excited about the newest ones coming out and playing them was a joy. Now though (at least for me in White Wolf, Danger by Design, etc.) it feels like there really is no "mystery" but more of a set of things to do so you can make it to the end---which is not satisfying at all.

Also, I really hate it when they change things in the games such as clocks (I loved the old clock face in Haunted Mansion), telephones, journals, etc. I think they're trying too hard to meet in the middle between high and low tech (maybe to make everyone happy?) and I wish they'd stuck with the old way of doing things. sigh...

The saddest part is that as I sit here today with my brand new ND White Wolf game, I am more excited about loading up my old ones and re-playing them than I am about playing this new one.

I think I'm with you guys....I am going to write to them as well and just let them know that while I appreciate their efforts and love their games, it might be time to "stop" making changes and go back to a formula that really worked. (and that some of us love and miss!)

Thanks for listening to my two cents!
Cat

“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”
― George Eliot
Re: Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek [Re: Tracy] #164585
06/24/07 09:53 AM
06/24/07 09:53 AM
San Francisco area, Calif.
Carrie Offline
Settled Boomer
Carrie  Offline
Settled Boomer

San Francisco area, Calif.
Good idea Cat... to write to HerInteractive & voice these thoughts -- offer constructive criticism ... some guidance about game quality control.

Was thinking the very same thing about the recent games... more focus on repetitive tasks & less on story. Why change a successful formula? Maybe it's an easy way to crank out 2 games a year. Despite this, I still have a soft spot in my heart for this series, & will probably continue to buy the games... just to be in the world of ND for a little while (haven't gotten White Wolf yet, but I will).

catrub
Re: Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek [Re: Carrie] #164901
06/24/07 08:57 PM
06/24/07 08:57 PM
Iowa
Mystery Lover Offline
Settled Boomer
Mystery Lover  Offline
Settled Boomer

Iowa
I really liked White Wolf, thought it was cool to have an actual wolf in the game and I enjoyed the cooking! However, the end of the game starting with having to win Fox/Geese 3 times and then the very end chase got me frustrated, just cause it seemed to take forever to win! I like the games where you actually get to talk to people and call people for info, and I loved the settings! The outdoor scenes were so pretty!

Re: Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek [Re: Tracy] #164955
06/24/07 11:17 PM
06/24/07 11:17 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: catbelly36
Also, I really hate it when they change things in the games such as clocks (I loved the old clock face in Haunted Mansion), telephones, journals, etc.

You know what I miss? The old Nancy Drew silhouette. I don't like the new one so much. I like the old one with her and her magnifying glass.

I also would rather she spent her time solving a mystery than doing chores.

Re: Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek [Re: Marian] #164973
06/25/07 02:10 AM
06/25/07 02:10 AM
Texas
nickie Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
nickie  Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
Adept Boomer

Texas
Originally Posted By: Marian

I'm still looking forward to the next ND game, though. As far as I know, there are a lot of different design teams working on the ND games, so I figure that at least it's gotta be different. Maybe not better, but....different.

Up to and including Blackmoor, the team was the same. Haven't asked them if it changed after that, but it would be interesting to know.

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (dorf, BrownEyedTigre, 1 invisible), 489 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users