GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage    
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#164532 - 06/24/07 08:12 AM Re: Wrath of the Gods [Re: Darleen03]
metzomagic Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Darleen, hi,

Quote:
My only problem is that the game was released in 1994 Noway will it play on my fussy computer

One word: DOSBox

Regards,
MetzO'Magic

Running old games in XP/Vista? Then visit Steve's XP Corner!

#179342 - 07/22/07 10:44 PM Re: Wrath of the Gods [Re: JohnBoy]
Marian Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
Hi everybody,

I'm bringing this thread back up to the top, to say that I installed Wrath of the Gods on Windows ME today and it's running perfectly. I realize that doesn't answer the big question of whether it runs on Windows XP or not, but it's something, anyway. smile It's NOT a DOS game.

Nickie, the way it looks kind of reminds me of The Crystal Skull, in the sense that what you have is live-action-video people against static backgrounds. I'm enjoying it so far. And, even though you do learn about Greek mythology in a reasonably straightforward manner, it has the same campy feel to it as Crystal Skull and is just slightly goofy. grin

#179385 - 07/23/07 02:24 AM Re: Wrath of the Gods [Re: Marian]
nickie Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
Adept Boomer

Loc: Texas
Thanks Marian - it's moved up in the pile. Campy is a good thing! lol

#179574 - 07/23/07 01:28 PM Re: Wrath of the Gods [Re: nickie]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi smile

The Crystal Skull !!

What a hoot - with all the Americanisms rotfl

Cheers.

Mad wave

#179585 - 07/23/07 01:41 PM Re: Wrath of the Gods [Re: Marian]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Marian
I'm bringing this thread back up to the top, to say that I installed Wrath of the Gods on Windows ME today and it's running perfectly. I realize that doesn't answer the big question of whether it runs on Windows XP or not, but it's something, anyway. It's NOT a DOS game.

It's a Windows 3.1 game. Some Windows 3.1 games apparently work in DOSBox, but I don't see this one listed.

There is also a Mac version, for some pre-OSX version of MacOS.

#179648 - 07/23/07 04:04 PM Re: Wrath of the Gods [Re: JohnBoy]
Marian Offline
True Blue Boomer

That's very true, Jenny; DOSBox does support Windows 3.1 now, so maybe the game would run that way. I don't know. headscratch

One thing I've been wondering lately is if Panic in the Park would run in DOSBox; that was a Windows 3.1 game, too, and being able to finish it on a later version of Windows requires a hex edit. But further research/information is needed.

#179682 - 07/23/07 06:03 PM Re: Wrath of the Gods [Re: Marian]
Jenny100 Offline
Sonic Boomer

I don't know, Marian. I think using the hex edit would be easier for Panic in the Park, since it seems to be only that one place at the shuffleboard that causes everyone problems. According to this
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=9405
you need a copy of Windows 3.1 to use a Windows 3.1 game in DOSBox. So it's not like playing a DOS game in DOSBox. It's more like playing a game in Virtual PC, where you have to install the OS you want inside the virtual machine before you can use it.

#179714 - 07/23/07 07:09 PM Re: Wrath of the Gods [Re: JohnBoy]
Marian Offline
True Blue Boomer

Right. I did realize that you need Windows 3.1 to run games in DOSBox, but I certainly didn't make that clear in my note. I haven't tackled that yet (finding Windows 3.1 to install is a plan I have for the future).

Back to Wrath of the Gods--one website where I read a review of the game said it did support Windows NT. So, maybe the game will run in XP. I'll check it out myself one of these days (my XP computer is down for a few days).

#179774 - 07/23/07 10:48 PM Re: Wrath of the Gods [Re: Marian]
Jenny100 Offline
Sonic Boomer

Unlike you, I did not realize that you needed Windows 3.1 to play windows games in DOSBox until I found that Vogons thread I linked to above. I'd heard you could play Windows 3.1 games in DOSBox, but I'd assumed that Windows 3.1 was emulated the way DOS is emulated.

I don't know if Wrath of the Gods will run in XP natively. Let us know the result if you try it.

#179799 - 07/24/07 01:10 AM Re: Wrath of the Gods [Re: Jenny100]
gremlin Offline

Addicted Boomer

Loc: Isle of Man
Would I be right in suggesting that running Win95 in a virtual machine (Virtual PC, or VirtualBox under some form of linux) might do quite well with DOS and Windows 3.1 games? Windows 95 is afterall, based upon DOS.

Gremlin

#179800 - 07/24/07 01:16 AM Re: Wrath of the Gods [Re: gremlin]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Hi smile

I'm nearly positive that I played "Panic in the Park" on my Win95 machine ....

But it was many moons ago so I can't swear to it woozy

Cheers.

Mad wave

#180019 - 07/24/07 01:25 PM Re: Wrath of the Gods [Re: Mad]
Jenny100 Offline
Sonic Boomer

Most Win 3.1 games work fine in Windows 95 and 98. Panic in the Park has one place early in the game where it crashes unless you're using Windows 3.1. You can get around the crash by using a simple hex edit and you'll have no further problems with the game.

Mad,
You may have used the hex edit and forgotten about it, since it's been so long ago.

#180061 - 07/24/07 02:53 PM Re: Wrath of the Gods [Re: Jenny100]
nickie Offline
Adept Boomer

I am thrilled to say that this installed and is playing without any tweaks whatsoever on my XP (except I changed the color at the game's urging). Didn't need to use the compatibility wizard. You're so right Marian - similar to Crystal Skull in style, and it is cracking me up. "Are you some kind of apprentice hero?" lol

#180071 - 07/24/07 03:22 PM Re: Wrath of the Gods [Re: nickie]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Hi smile

Jenny100 ....
Well, yes, one of my Sons in Law might have done that for me at the time because I wouldn't known how to do it myself blush

nickie ....
That is brilliant news. And a massive thank you for letting us know !!
Makes me want to play it RIGHT NOW grin

But I must be satisfied with what I already have installed for the moment - and not get too much carried away.
[Prone as I am to such temptation rotfl]

Cheeers.

Mad wave

#180073 - 07/24/07 03:31 PM Re: Wrath of the Gods [Re: Mad]
nickie Offline
Adept Boomer

lol I know. So many games pleading to be played. Had to drag myself away from Hades, but I was excited to be able to relate some good news. Of course, computers differ so - hope it works for other XPers.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
5 registered (Butcher, scampy, Kayc, Darlene, curly), 46 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Newest Members
maggieann, charlene, mikcik, Trishpatsy, sosiebear1
8520 Registered Users