GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Why do games have different titles in UK/USA #167565
06/30/07 01:01 PM
06/30/07 01:01 PM
cornwall england
old lady Offline OP
Settled Boomer
old lady  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

cornwall england
I've had this before that a game is given a different name in Europe to the title in the USA. I have loaded Evany Key to a Distant Land aka Crystal Key 2. But my computor will not except the patch I think because of the different titles. I've posted on the bugs and glitches and I'm sure they will help. But it still leaves the question and I would love the hear the answer old lady

Has any one seen any little gray cells around as I think I've lost some? Reward for finder.
Re: Why do games have different titles in UK/USA [Re: old lady] #167584
06/30/07 01:28 PM
06/30/07 01:28 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Yes I've posted you a link to the Evany patch in Glitches.
They change the name for marketing reasons.
There can also be other differences between the UK and North American versions. For example, if one was published after the other, the second one that was published may already be patched, or may require a different patch. And the copy prevention used on the game may be different, or not used, on one of the versions.

Re: Why do games have different titles in UK/USA [Re: Jenny100] #167601
06/30/07 02:17 PM
06/30/07 02:17 PM
Larnaca, Cyprus
Butcher Offline
Addicted Boomer
Butcher  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Larnaca, Cyprus
Sometimes the game will be released by different publishers and so they might change the name. I have seen this quite often where the game from the same publisher has a different name, box cover, comes in 3-4 CDs instead of 1 DVD and still haven't thought of a possible explanation other than marketing reasons as jenny posted. I remember Commmandos 2: Men of Courage where the same characters had a nickname for the US version and a different nickname in the UK version. Sometimes it is done just to cover a difference in price where a slight variation makes a game kind of collectors' item and thus a difference in price can be explained by this. I am just guessing here, perhaps someone who is into these things can shed some light on this for us?

"Cannot The Kingdom Of Salvation Take Me Home?"

R.I.P Cliff Burton
Re: Why do games have different titles in UK/USA [Re: Butcher] #167719
06/30/07 05:31 PM
06/30/07 05:31 PM
Dublin, Ireland
metzomagic Offline
Settled Boomer
metzomagic  Offline
Settled Boomer

Dublin, Ireland
A little bit off topic, but here's one for you to mull over.

Remember the 80's James Bond film License to Kill? Well... its original working title was License Revoked. But then they figured not enough people in the States would understand what the word 'revoked' meant (at least in their target audience), so the title was apparently changed for this reason.

Overheard at an AA (Americans Anonymous) meeting: "Hi, my name is Steve, and I am a Yank". Really. I originally hail from good ol' New Jersey wave

But seriously... the one I always wondered about was Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars. How on this green earth did that ever turn into Circle of Blood for the U.S. release?! It would give one the impression that the U.S. was steeped in violence, or something to that effect rotfl

MetzO'Magic

Now playing:
Paradise Killer

Running very old games on Windows 10? Then visit Steve's Legacy Games Corner!
Re: Why do games have different titles in UK/USA [Re: metzomagic] #167726
06/30/07 05:34 PM
06/30/07 05:34 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Originally Posted By: metzomagic

Remember the 80's James Bond film License to Kill? Well... its original working title was License Revoked. But then they figured not enough people in the States would understand what the word 'revoked' meant (at least in their target audience), so the title was apparently changed for this reason.

I've wondered in the past if In Memoriam had its title changed to Missing when it was released over here because they thought In Memoriam was too esoteric. rolleyes

Re: Why do games have different titles in UK/USA [Re: Marian] #167853
06/30/07 09:33 PM
06/30/07 09:33 PM
Larnaca, Cyprus
Butcher Offline
Addicted Boomer
Butcher  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Larnaca, Cyprus
The solution is buy both versions of the game, play them both and see if there is any difference that would explain the difference in the naming smile smile

R.I.P Cliff Burton
Re: Why do games have different titles in UK/USA [Re: Butcher] #167938
07/01/07 05:37 AM
07/01/07 05:37 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Stony Brook, New York, USA
lol Sounds like a new level of BAAGS to me!

Re: Why do games have different titles in UK/USA [Re: Becky] #167957
07/01/07 07:27 AM
07/01/07 07:27 AM
cornwall england
old lady Offline OP
Settled Boomer
old lady  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

cornwall england
Those wonderful people on the tech side have found me the right patch so that is solved. I always thought that change of title might be to get you to buy the same game twice but that would be too nasty a trick - or would it? old lady

Has any one seen any little gray cells around as I think I've lost some? Reward for finder.
Re: Why do games have different titles in UK/USA [Re: metzomagic] #176505
07/17/07 03:51 AM
07/17/07 03:51 AM
C
Cari Offline
Settled Boomer
Cari  Offline
Settled Boomer
C

Originally Posted By: metzomagic

But seriously... the one I always wondered about was Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars. How on this green earth did that ever turn into Circle of Blood for the U.S. release?! It would give one the impression that the U.S. was steeped in violence, or something to that effect rotfl

MetzO'Magic

Similar alterations were made in the first Harry Potter book and film

See below.

Both the book and the motion picture were released in the United States with the revised title Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. The book's American editor, Arthur Levine, who was also responsible for editing out words and usages characteristic of British English, felt that Philosopher's Stone conveyed an incorrect idea of the subject matter, and that a title change was necessary. Rowling and Levine had agreed to change words only when they felt that it would otherwise be incomprehensible to American readers. Several alternative titles were discussed, and Rowling chose Sorcerer's Stone in the end.[4] The "translations" in the American edition led to criticism by many readers. The New York Times ran an article titled "Harry Potter, Minus a Certain Flavour" on July 10, 2000, which heavily criticized Scholastic's decision to Americanize the US Harry Potter editions.[5] Many felt that the translations insulted the intelligence of the American public. In their editions of the sequels, Scholastic did not Americanize the text as much and did not change the titles.

Incidentally many Brits detest the term “British English” It’s the mother tongue for goodness sake and the name is English period.

Ok, Americans speak English with an American accent. England has many accents but we don’t label them Yorkshire English, Liverpool English etc. The French, Germans, Spanish speak English with an accent but we don’t use the label for them

Re: Why do games have different titles in UK/USA [Re: ] #176558
07/17/07 07:51 AM
07/17/07 07:51 AM
Larnaca, Cyprus
Butcher Offline
Addicted Boomer
Butcher  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Larnaca, Cyprus
For broken sword it was also used for the latest addition, where The Angel of Death was renamed to The Secrets of The Ark. Most games released by The Adventure Company tend to follow this pattern.

R.I.P Cliff Burton
Re: Why do games have different titles in UK/USA [Re: Becky] #176580
07/17/07 08:55 AM
07/17/07 08:55 AM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
Originally Posted By: Becky
lol Sounds like a new level of BAAGS to me!

Becky your too funny rotfl

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (manxman, jboliver, 2 invisible), 314 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users