GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
The Adventure Shop Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#167890 - 07/01/07 12:36 AM Shivers!!!!
Marian Online   content
Graduate Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
I loaded up this game tonight. The last time I played it was around 1995 (when the game first came out).

Anyway....this game is even better than I remembered!! It's WONDERFUL!!

I'm sure that many of you here have played the game, but this post is mainly for those of you who HAVEN'T played this game. If you like first-person puzzling (there's a story too, and it's quite an interesting one) in an unusual and beautiful and spooky setting, I know you will love this game, too.

There's no excuse not to play it. It can be found on both eBay and Amazon Marketplace for amounts of money that aren't outrageous (anywhere from around seven dollars to twenty dollars). And it also runs on XP in Windows 95 compatibility mode (just be sure to say NO when the screen comes up asking if you want to test your system to see if it will run--this is important). Just continue on with installing the game after that, and it will run just fine!

It doesn't come across as dated AT ALL, by the way, unlike some older games. The game is still a feast for the eyes. In fact, I will go so far as to say that it's my number-one first-person puzzler still, after all these years. It's SO much fun!!

I hope some of you will be encouraged to buy this game and play it. I really don't want anyone to miss out on this marvelous game.

smile wave happydance

#167904 - 07/01/07 02:36 AM Re: Shivers!!!! [Re: Marian]
maggie57 Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Arizona, U.S.A.
Marian-

Can you let me know if this game is a point and click??

Thanks

Maggie wave

#167906 - 07/01/07 02:51 AM Re: Shivers!!!! [Re: maggie57]
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Denmark, Europe
If it is like Shivers 2, it is a game in first person view, with a fixed & locked camera. I think the more technical term is 360 degrees nodal panning?

If you have played games like Zork:Nemesis and the 7th guest? etc, you will have an idea of what would expect. If you by point and click mean if you can play the game using the mouse, yes, I believe you can. If the game's controls is like Shivers 2.

#167910 - 07/01/07 03:26 AM Re: Shivers!!!! [Re: Karsten]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
The first Shivers game does not have panning.
It is point-and-click.

#167964 - 07/01/07 07:40 AM Re: Shivers!!!! [Re: Jenny100]
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Michigan
Is this the game where there were all kinds of symbols on rocks.I seem to remember a game like that.

#167989 - 07/01/07 08:26 AM Re: Shivers!!!! [Re: Geo]
MaG Offline
Administrator
Sonic Boomer

Geo, I think that's Shivers 2. Shivers 1 is the one inside a mansion.

#167996 - 07/01/07 08:32 AM Re: Shivers!!!! [Re: Geo]
syd Offline
Adept Boomer

Loc: Body in California/Heart in Ha...
Geo I think that was Shivers 2 - you collected Bahos sticks and had to go through the canyon with the drawings on it. In Shivers you were in a museum collecting Ixupi

Marian I love this game. I was most proud of the notes I made. Used graph paper and colored pencils - they were a work of art lol
Shivers was one of the very first games I ever played - As a matter of fact, I think it was number two - I played Myst first.

I can only please one person a day. Today isn't your day. Tomorrow's not looking good either.

#168010 - 07/01/07 08:59 AM Re: Shivers!!!! [Re: syd]
nickie Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
Adept Boomer

Loc: Texas
I have it on my 2007 list. I don't generally lean toward first person, or puzzle type games, but it really was superb.

#168044 - 07/01/07 10:05 AM Re: Shivers!!!! [Re: nickie]
momn8or Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Michigan
This was the game that started it all for me and it's the only one I've ever replayed. I highly recommend it also.

Lisa

#168080 - 07/01/07 11:01 AM Re: Shivers!!!! [Re: momn8or]
zookeeper Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: G.H. WA
Shivers is my all time favorite game. I gave it away several years ago because it wouldn't run on my Win 95 computer. (Dumb dumb dumb) Then I got an XP computer and found out it would play on that so I found a copy on Amazon and bought it.

Shivers was the second game I played. The first was The Dig...another great game!

#168081 - 07/01/07 11:02 AM Re: Shivers!!!! [Re: momn8or]
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Denmark, Europe
I think this game, Shivers 2, along with Zork: Nemesis, started my interest in adventuregames, also smile

I have just one grief: I never could finish the safe puzzle in Shivers 2, even with help from the wonderfull walkthru from this site...

Ah well..

#168085 - 07/01/07 11:10 AM Re: Shivers!!!! [Re: Karsten]
Leeana Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: New York
shivers is a great game I played it a while ago, and my daughter had to do the ending... if I remember correctly the baha sticks had to be placed at some kind of an altar and it was timed... frown not my kind of an ending!!! And it had to do with a band? smile if I can remember correctly, I think headscratch

Edited by LEEANA (07/01/07 11:11 AM)

#168093 - 07/01/07 11:27 AM Re: Shivers!!!! [Re: Marian]
Marian Online   content
Graduate Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
It's great to hear so many people have enjoyed this game; I'm hoping this thread will also encourage some people new to the game to give it a go! happydance

Shivers 1 (the one I am referring to) takes place in a very interesting (and colorful!!) museum. The second one is the one that takes place in the desert town and involves the bahos/symbols. smile

You know what else I liked about Shivers? The fact that the manual actually EXPLAINS the objective of quite a few of the puzzles. Maybe I'm just a little dimwitted, but there are times with puzzles that I don't understand what I am supposed to be doing (okay, MANY times!) lol You might think this would have spoiled the puzzle or made it a lot easier, but I didn't find that to be the case.

What really amazed me last night is how polished this game seems. Sometimes a fond recollection of an older game, after having played so many newer ones, gets tarnished after giving it another try years later. That is definitely not the case with this one. I love the narrator's voice and the commentary during the exhibits, too, as well as the video clips. happydance

This game just showed so much....creativity! hearts

Syd, I like the sound of that graph paper! thumbsup And Nickie, I don't generally enjoy that many first-person puzzlers either, but this one was definitely different. smile

I really wouldn't have mentioned this game here if it were one of those that's impossible to find now, but happily that is not the case, and you don't have to give up food for the month to pay for it, either. wink

#168098 - 07/01/07 11:34 AM Re: Shivers!!!! [Re: Leeana]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
Originally Posted By: LEEANA
shivers is a great game I played it a while ago, and my daughter had to do the ending... if I remember correctly the baha sticks had to be placed at some kind of an altar and it was timed... frown not my kind of an ending!!! And it had to do with a band? smile if I can remember correctly, I think headscratch

That's Shivers 2 that you're talking about.
Shivers 2 is the one with the bahos sticks and the timed mirror puzzle at the end.

#168114 - 07/01/07 11:59 AM Re: Shivers!!!! [Re: zookeeper]
bouv mama Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Lillian Al USA
Shivers has been sitting in my BAAGS pile for years. Your description sounds so good I think I will move it to the top.
Marion

Edited by bouv mama (07/01/07 12:00 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
10 registered (Susie07, Volkana, Marian, Sorta Blonde, mj2c, Rowan, CCbomber, BrownEyedTigre, luv2travel, robert gray), 88 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Newest Members
GreenBoat, Spidermna133, kamoj, RebKean, gerald
8493 Registered Users