GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Question about Myst Uru #204979
09/20/07 12:19 PM
09/20/07 12:19 PM
Texas
K
karmyn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
karmyn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
K

Texas
I recently purchased Myst Uru The Complete Chronicles on ebay. I don't really know anything about Myst. Where does this fit in with the series? What kind of game is it?

Re: Question about Myst Uru [Re: karmyn] #204989
09/20/07 12:36 PM
09/20/07 12:36 PM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Stony Brook, New York, USA
Hi karmyn -- there's a lot of info about Myst, and it's a bit difficult to know where to begin.

Chronologically, I think that Myst Uru: Complete Chronicles would fit in after Myst IV: Revelation and before Myst V: End of Ages -- though I've seen arguments that it actually comes chronologically after Myst V.

Myst Uru has many 3D worlds or ages to explore, involves puzzles that I would mostly describe as mechanical or movement puzzles. There's brief character interaction, but mostly you are exploring and figuring out what happened to the ancient race of the D'ni.

You can click here for a brief description of Myst and how Uru fits in.

For more information, one site you might want to check would be Myst Realm.

Re: Question about Myst Uru [Re: karmyn] #204990
09/20/07 12:38 PM
09/20/07 12:38 PM
Michigan
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
Someone else will probably tell you where Uru fits into the series,but I want to tell you its a great game.One of my favorites!

Re: Question about Myst Uru [Re: Geo] #205006
09/20/07 01:24 PM
09/20/07 01:24 PM
Berkeley, CA
O
orchgamer Offline
Settled Boomer
orchgamer  Offline
Settled Boomer
O

Berkeley, CA
I found Uru to be a VERY different experience than the other Myst games (at least I-III). The first three games are strongly puzzle based with little character interaction (i.e. read story through journals, then gather clues to open locked doors, etc.) They excellent games and very fun. Uru, on the other hand, is much more exploration focused and less puzzle based. You do much walking/running and very little time dealing with mechanical puzzles. Although I know Uru has many fans, I did not enjoy playing the game very much at all. It was too repetitive for me. I feel, though, that I can appreciate why it has its fans.
Hope this helps!

Re: Question about Myst Uru [Re: orchgamer] #205039
09/20/07 03:12 PM
09/20/07 03:12 PM
Hiding Under a Rock
gamenut Offline
Addicted Boomer
gamenut  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Hiding Under a Rock
IT has JUMPING.(which i dislike intensely...and also several timed puzzles ..grrrr). Is very different than the other Myst games in the Myst series... It was actually designed to eventually be played online..and part of the Myst Uru game is online now(at Gametap..yes, u have to pay to play..but fee is not too bad..). You can get a 'free' taste of it if you go to the gametap site. I am just now-after a couple years) nearing the end of Complete Chronicles...whew! For me was/is a hard game. I left it alone for awhile..i got started back on it after i had joined the online version. But still enjoy the exploration! i also play the online too. (which is mostly same game as the first major Ages in Uru..so if you decide to play online you will be playing it all over But you have access to other players and some help and chat.). and a bit of new content each month. Some months the content is not a whole lot, other months is another totally new Age, or they have finally added another Age from Path of the Shell section of Uru. (Several diff companies published some of the Myst games so there's issues getting permission to use some of the content..but they are doing good job of getting it together.) Anyway..if you can do jumping and don't mind some timed puzzles and enjoy exploringyou will like it! OH--and lots of reading!....Also...i would suggest NOT skipping around w/the Ages(Books). Do the first part(you are in the desert...)and you have to do it at one time..however, if you go back to the setup part and select 'windowed mode' you can just minimize it when you want to stop (don't 'quit') and come back to it later...It takes about an hour or over to do the first bit so you can get to your Relto...(depends on how fast you move around and do things..but you don't really have to hurry...just do not 'quit' or you have to start over!) when you get to your Relto you deal w/the pillar Ages first then go to others....there are the 2 expasions included in CC...which means you have a lot of extra books on the shelf normally NOT on it which can make the game very confusing. I would suggest going ahead and at least printing out a walkthrough in case you might want it later! I am probably making this sound a lot harder than it is...but if you do the first Pillar Ages first, then the D/ni part, then the Path of the Shell part you won't get soooo confused! I am still playing the online...i enjoy the exploration and the jumping is not a continuous thing so i can groan through it. One thing, at least you don't die...you always are back at your Relto should you miss a jump or take a wrong step!!! and you can generally go back to where you were. I must like it...i am still playing it! ahaa...but i sure would not call it an easy game. OH--and take notes..lots of them! I do have a problem w/both the single player AND the online version both on my 'puter but so far have been able to work around it. but probably not a good idea to have them both on the same 'puter.

Last edited by gamenut; 09/20/07 03:22 PM.
Re: Question about Myst Uru [Re: gamenut] #205081
09/20/07 05:19 PM
09/20/07 05:19 PM
Texas
K
karmyn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
karmyn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
K

Texas
Sounds like an interesting series. Even if I don't like it, I'm only out three dollars. I've been looking at other games in the series and might consider buying them.

Re: Question about Myst Uru [Re: karmyn] #205091
09/20/07 05:46 PM
09/20/07 05:46 PM
Hiding Under a Rock
gamenut Offline
Addicted Boomer
gamenut  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Hiding Under a Rock
Karmyn! you got Myst Uru Complete Chronicles for $3.00!! WOW!what a deal! One thing for sure..you get your money's worth(even at full price!) of playing time. This is not a short game by any means. If you think you might like the series i would begin at the beginning with the original Myst, then #2 Riven; #3 Exile; #4 Revelations, and the last one-#5 End of Ages. Of them all-in my opinion, Riven is the most beautiful! They all have great puzzles..lots of exploration as well. (some of these are on gametap as well..but i am not pushing gametap, just letting you know. ). Hope you enjoy Uru.

Re: Question about Myst Uru [Re: gamenut] #205297
09/21/07 09:16 AM
09/21/07 09:16 AM
Texas
K
karmyn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
karmyn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
K

Texas
I can't use gametap since I have dial up, but I am considering getting that Myst collection of the first three games if I can find it for a good price.

Re: Question about Myst Uru [Re: karmyn] #205393
09/21/07 01:31 PM
09/21/07 01:31 PM
Hiding Under a Rock
gamenut Offline
Addicted Boomer
gamenut  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Hiding Under a Rock
Karmyn...post in the section 'trading post' ! I bet there will be some 'boomers who might want to make more space on their shelves! There is also a '' Myst: 10th Anniversary DVD Edition'' that is out there. It has the first 3 games of the series..(without disk swapping!!!! yea!!!). That is what i would try and get..i know will run on xp (you may have to change the 'compatability' mode on them-i did w/Riven). Riven when it came out had i think 5 or 6 cd's so you had to swap them a lot! This 10th anniversary dvd version is soooo much better!!!. I just got dsl in past couple months...so could use internet faster AND use gametap to play MOUL. am glad i did...but it is another added expense....and my phone line is not the clearest in the world!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (curly), 233 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users