GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Thoughts about Cleopatra... #213713
10/10/07 09:24 AM
10/10/07 09:24 AM
Tel Aviv, Israel.
T
Tomer Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Tomer  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
T

Tel Aviv, Israel.
Hey...
Just wondered the opinions of some fellow gamers that have played Cleopatra.
I'll of course start with mine:

I had a really big craving for a new adventure lately (something that I probably didn't have for more than a year), and Cleopatra drew my attantion (I'm btw waiting anxiously for Gray Matter but it's still far...).
So People seemed to really enjoy the game and the atmosphere, and I figured, "why not", and purchased it.

So:
1. The graphics -
I have to admit, the graphics didn't overwhelm me (to say the least). Maybe it was because many people here said the graphics are amazing. Really, the graphics are *at least* five years old in technology standarts. If I compare this game with Myst 3 - Exile, which has gone out almost 6 years ago, it looks like Exile is even more impressive - having a more animated, alive environment.
Not to mention Myst 4, which looks soooo much better than Cleopatra, and it was also released 3 years ago.
So don't get me wrong, the game is pretty of course, but I was definitelly a bit dissapointed with the graphics.

2. The characters-
Another dissapointment. Very plain, very 2-dimentional. I admit I have high standarts, but that's simply not close for being in the league of, for example, Gabriel Knight (I took the other extreme, I know, just to make my point). Also, the monologs and dialogs in the game are really bad, in my opinion. It's modern language, for a game that's suppose to occur 2000 years ago. Maybe some like that - I don't. It gets me out of the atmosphere, and it's not entertaining at all for me. Sorry that when an ancient Chaldien astrologer says "I'm not so hot right now" (or something of the sort), I'm not rolling on the floor laughing.
If this game was intended to be humorous (like monkey island for example), it would be ok, but it's obviously not the purpose.

3. The story -
Nice, maybe has potential, but the sad fact is the game was too short to develop it. So it didn't impress me either.

4. The puzzles -
Puzzles were ok I guess - not exactly my cup of tea (especially not the inventory puzzles). I also found the game to be fairly easy, but I really like hard (logical!!!) puzzles, and I know many will disagree on this point. (everybody hates gamers that like good, hard puzzles, nowadays smile ).

5 Over all-
Too short. Eventually, I did find myself enjoying it - if only for the sake of solving puzzles and revlealing pieces of the story.
I didn't really want to finish it, and I couldn't believe it's going to end, because it was so short. The game consists of like 3 different buildings and surroundings - and that's it. There's nothing to compare that with other, serious games - that create a world (or at least a feeling of it). And no, I'm not refering to Myst (alone) this time.

So, my opinion - if you find yourself enjoying most adventures, get it. It's fun.
But, it is really *just an avarage game* - it doesn't try to aspire to anything more. I didn't feel the desire of the cretor for story-telling, for puzzle-creating, for the Egyptian culture - none of that.
The longest journey, Mysts, Gabriel knights, Monkey Islands (and many more) - these are much more than plain games. And the desire and talent of the creator is scattered all over the game.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Tomer; 10/10/07 09:28 AM.

There's definitely definitely definitely no logic to human behaviour.
Re: Thoughts about Cleopatra... [Re: Tomer] #213737
10/10/07 10:21 AM
10/10/07 10:21 AM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Hi Tomer,

I enjoyed Cleopatra.

1. Even if the graphics are outdated as you say, they were well done and is enjoyable, colorful and lifts the spirit when being played.
2. The characters do have some 'one liners' that fell short but overall it was done to make it lighthearted.
3. The story to me was just right for a game that was meant to be enjoyed; are compatible with the puzzles and the basic premise.
4. The puzzles are easy to medium difficulty, inventory puzzles and will appeal to some gamers. No hairpulling puzzles, hint system is great and makes the game flow smoothly and enjoyed.
As for 'everybody hates gamers that like good, hard puzzles nowadays'. I don't think anyone has expressed hating me for it. You can wait for Rhem 3 and see.
5. It might be short because it flowed nicely, easily and smoothly for you.

I don't think the game was meant to compete in the world of adventure games' top ten or something like that. The game was meant to be enjoyed. That is why I liked it, I enjoyed it.

Re: Thoughts about Cleopatra... [Re: MaG] #213739
10/10/07 10:30 AM
10/10/07 10:30 AM
Tel Aviv, Israel.
T
Tomer Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Tomer  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
T

Tel Aviv, Israel.
Ah well, maybe I'm too heavy smile

There's definitely definitely definitely no logic to human behaviour.
Re: Thoughts about Cleopatra... [Re: Tomer] #213750
10/10/07 11:01 AM
10/10/07 11:01 AM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
Hi...

I really am enjoying the game...I thought the graphics are superb. The puzzles are somewhat hard for me that is.

The music changes alot...So its not boring...
If the game is too short for me...It only means I loved it alot.

I just loved the inventory system, of putting things together.

Great interface, easy to understand... The map is a nice system also..Where you can click on an area ,and be there.

Great Game for the money.. thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"
Re: Thoughts about Cleopatra... [Re: Darleen03] #216644
10/16/07 11:40 AM
10/16/07 11:40 AM
rural Oregon, USA
BeaSong Offline
Addicted Boomer
BeaSong  Offline
Addicted Boomer

rural Oregon, USA
wWell, as for my opinion,
if having games like these means MORE games rather than waiting 10 years for another Myst, then I don't care if it's the BEST game I ever played or not. At least I get to play. But then, I'm playing the Vulcan series for the 3rd time around just because playing is the key for me. Having impressive graphics, puzzles, etc is icing on the cake. I love them all.

"Come Watson, the Game is afoot!"
www.ransomofatawallpa.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (oldbroad), 389 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users