GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: some puzzles are just to hard... [Re: gamenut] #217775
10/18/07 11:16 AM
10/18/07 11:16 AM
G.H. WA
zookeeper Offline
Addicted Boomer
zookeeper  Offline
Addicted Boomer

G.H. WA
I'm playing ND Crystal Skull right now and I had to use a walkthrough for the "make the guy sneeze" puzzle. The game gave zero feedback or hints about what you were supposed to do or how the objects interacted with each other. It would've been nice if you could see an animation of how each object behaved.
Click to reveal..
Like the teeth chattering. I didn't know they moved in a straight line. And who knew that the teeth would knock down a support for the shelf...who knew it was even loose.

Usually when I get stuck and consult a wt, I bonk my head and think Oh yeah that makes sense. But this one had a billion different combinations that could have worked so there was no head bonking when I got the solution, just a somewhat frustrated sigh.

I child-proofed my home... but they're still getting in!
Re: some puzzles are just to hard... [Re: zookeeper] #217814
10/18/07 12:44 PM
10/18/07 12:44 PM
stoke on trent England
dragonuk44 Offline
Addicted Boomer
dragonuk44  Offline
Addicted Boomer

stoke on trent England
Just a thought but when doing a puzzal in an adventure game and you know what to do but are just that little bit to slow .Is this really classed as a puzzal .As some one said above if you want a shoot out or a game where you have to be fast you would play a action game .Adventure to me .To a point is thinking about a puzzal and trying to solve it but not to the point where you are going bauld .Hence the hints and the walk throughs but on a timed puzzal if you ar nt fast enough .Well you are stu--ed unless you have some one do that bit for you .

s wheeldon
Re: some puzzles are just to hard... [Re: 3dobermans] #218148
10/19/07 03:30 AM
10/19/07 03:30 AM
Australia
Mystic Falls Offline
Settled Boomer
Mystic Falls  Offline
Settled Boomer

Australia
Adventure games are for your amusement, not to test your intelligence with solving puzzles. I play games for the fun of it. If I get stuck, I check a walkthrough. If I really, really get stuck and have tried solving a puzzle for days, I will ask for a save ... mostly the timed stuff ...

I don't feel guilty about doing that, at all!!!

Re: some puzzles are just to hard... [Re: Mystic Falls] #218429
10/19/07 02:29 PM
10/19/07 02:29 PM
WNY
JKEerie Offline
Settled Boomer
JKEerie  Offline
Settled Boomer

WNY
Zookeeper,

I agree with you on that puzzle in Crystal Skull. You obviously knew it was some sort of puzzle when you got all of the squares as you picked up an object. But you are right...there was no feedback in the game as to why you would do this...how you would use the sneezing powder, etc. "This will come in handy" when the powder was picked up was wayyyyyy too subtle! duh

Once you realized that the objects could work together in a chain reaction...it was great! A really neat puzzle! grin But unless the object was in the correct spot...you had no idea what it did. I accidentally got the record player to play...but hadn't a clue why. And I inflated the balloon...but my first instinct was to put the sneezing powder above it so it would spill when the balloon inflated. Was there a hint or a clue that I missed???? think

Re: some puzzles are just to hard... [Re: JKEerie] #218495
10/19/07 05:08 PM
10/19/07 05:08 PM
G.H. WA
zookeeper Offline
Addicted Boomer
zookeeper  Offline
Addicted Boomer

G.H. WA
JK,

I worked on that puzzle for more than an hour and I never got any of the items to do anything. So if you put one in the right place it would do it's thing? Is that how you were supposed to figure out how the items would interact with each other? Even so, there was an infinite number of ways to create a chain reaction. I also tried to put the sneezing powder above the balloon to spill it. smile

Re: some puzzles are just to hard... [Re: zookeeper] #218506
10/19/07 05:30 PM
10/19/07 05:30 PM
WNY
JKEerie Offline
Settled Boomer
JKEerie  Offline
Settled Boomer

WNY
Not necessarily, Zookeeper. For example, I put the fan where it would logically go...due to the plug...but unless something turned it on...it didn't move. The only "hints" I saw was the size of the space...either a square or rectangle.

In hindsight...if you were lucky enough to start the phonograph, then you could think what might music do...cause someone to dance, etc...but still...there was no clue suggesting you start a chain reaction.

When I got the phonograph started, I sort of hoped Lamont would come by to turn it off! blush How lame an idea was that???

Re: some puzzles are just to hard... [Re: JKEerie] #218584
10/19/07 08:18 PM
10/19/07 08:18 PM
Canada
Sally(MG) Offline
Settled Boomer
Sally(MG)  Offline
Settled Boomer

Canada
Hands down, the hardest puzzle in all my adventure game playing years is the one from the old Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. You know, where you:
Click to reveal..

take off robe, hang robe on wall to cover hole, spread towel over drain, block the service panel with the satchel, put junk mail on top of satchel (god forbid if you didn't take it), push the button...to get a babel fish.

And if you don't do it fast enough, it's game over. Yikes!

btw, I still have a saved game of Nibiru right at the puzzle you're talking about. (the spinning circles, right?) From last year. I gave up. :/

MinuteGamer
Free flash games, casual game reviews and wts.
Latest: Virtual Villagers 3 cheats
Re: some puzzles are just to hard... [Re: Sally(MG)] #219089
10/20/07 08:44 PM
10/20/07 08:44 PM
Ontario, Canada
jldcat Offline
Addicted Boomer
jldcat  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Ontario, Canada
To be completely honest and likely to face the gameboomers firing squad, I don't start a game without downloading the walkthrough first.

I'm VERY impatient and have actually stopped playing a game because hard puzzles bore me rather than challenge me.

But I still buy every game that comes out and have a library of about 60 of them so will someday try the ones I quit again.

The breeze from one door closing opens another.
Re: some puzzles are just to hard... [Re: jldcat] #219100
10/20/07 08:55 PM
10/20/07 08:55 PM
G.H. WA
zookeeper Offline
Addicted Boomer
zookeeper  Offline
Addicted Boomer

G.H. WA
There's no firing squad here. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about how they experience their adventure. smile

Re: some puzzles are just to hard... [Re: zookeeper] #219257
10/21/07 07:49 AM
10/21/07 07:49 AM
New Hampshire
SuMac Offline
Addicted Boomer
SuMac  Offline
Addicted Boomer

New Hampshire
I think the arcade-type puzzles in Nancy Drew games are some of the worst ever. They're timed and require expert-level hand/eye coordination. The Barnacle Blaster in The Haunted Carousel and the sewing maching puzzle in Secret of the Old Clock are two that top my list of hated puzzles.

On the other hand, Nancy Drew games often have very clever and fun puzzles, as well, or else we wouldn't be playing them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Urban Worrier, FlyingDutchman42), 254 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users