GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Rand Miller Interview #225121
10/31/07 09:33 PM
10/31/07 09:33 PM
D
DaveHT Offline OP
Settled Boomer
DaveHT  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
D

ACG just posted a new interview with Rand Miller (of Myst fame).

http://www.adventureclassicgaming.com/index.php/site/interviews/269/

Perhaps the most interesting tidbit of the interview:

The most difficult was the final marble puzzle in Riven. Our goal for Riven was to start with less friction and end with some tough stuff. We even remarked at the time that we had made Riven easier and harder than Myst. But there were some tough mental leaps to be made to put everything together for that final puzzle.

This confirms my suspicion. I have always thought that the final marble puzzle in Riven was absolutely unfair.

Re: Rand Miller Interview [Re: DaveHT] #225219
11/01/07 08:39 AM
11/01/07 08:39 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Great interview! Personally, I thought the marble puzzle was very logical, if not exactly easy. wink

Re: Rand Miller Interview [Re: Becky] #225542
11/01/07 10:37 PM
11/01/07 10:37 PM
California
BaldBob Offline
Settled Boomer
BaldBob  Offline
Settled Boomer

California
I found this comment string from Rand intereresting:
"I think after doing both Myst and Riven we came to realize that the compartmentalized puzzle solving of Myst’s distinct ages was a good thing. ... In Myst when an Age was completed there was a huge benefit to being able to mentally check it off the list. Riven mixed up the “Ages” in small, but irritating, ways - because once you realize that you require something from another “Age” the nice security of the boundaries goes out the window."

MYST was most definitely not "compartmentalized". If you played MYST, what age did you go to first? EVERYONE went to that Spaceship. Right? And the final underground sub maze needed what info to complete? Info found in the Mechanical age.
I spent hours in that thing, frustrated, until I looked at the guide book (online free walkthroughs not available yet) to discover the solving "secret".

I think there might be other crossovers, but I can't think of them right now. Doesn't matter, no game, for me, will EVER be greater than MYST. Though...........Half Life 2 comes close (see my posts in the Darkside).

Re: Rand Miller Interview [Re: BaldBob] #225595
11/02/07 07:31 AM
11/02/07 07:31 AM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Hi BaldBob -- I went to the Treehouse Age first. I thought the clue for Treehouse was a little easier.

Wasn't the underground maze in the Mechanical Age? The idea being that everything you need to solve a puzzle is in that Age (not another)? I solved the underground maze through trial and error because I never understood the clue either. laugh

EDIT: I just went back and looked at a walkthrough -- you're right, the Mechanical Age apparently has a clue for the maze, which is in the Spaceship Age. This is the first I've ever seen the clues connected. lol

Re: Rand Miller Interview [Re: BaldBob] #225681
11/02/07 10:51 AM
11/02/07 10:51 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: BaldBob
If you played MYST, what age did you go to first? EVERYONE went to that Spaceship. Right?

No I went to Channelwood.

Quote:
And the final underground sub maze needed what info to complete? Info found in the Mechanical Age.

Click to reveal..
No the clues to the sounds could be determined by matching the direction you saw on the console to the sound you heard when the subway stopped. The sounds may have been recycled, but the clues were in the Selenitic Age as well as the Mechanical Age.

Quote:
I think there might be other crossovers, but I can't think of them right now.

There may have been "crossovers" in that you might find references to things in one Age in another Age. But everything you needed to solve an Age's puzzle was found in that Age.

Re: Rand Miller Interview [Re: Jenny100] #225762
11/02/07 02:41 PM
11/02/07 02:41 PM
Rockford, Illinois
S
sierramindy Offline
Addicted Boomer
sierramindy  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Rockford, Illinois
Hmmm, so there are 3 Miller brothers! I'm glad I found that out finally as I have been getting Robyn and Ryan mixed up. Another one of life's little mysteries cleared up for me!
I'm not a Myst fan but I am interested in MOUL and URU because of the online experience.

To love is to be happy with!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (oldbroad), 277 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users