GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Any of this years games like Longest Jorney 1? #230882
11/13/07 09:49 AM
11/13/07 09:49 AM
United Kingdom
SkeeterUK Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
SkeeterUK  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

United Kingdom
These last few years ive only really played a few adventure games till the end.

The Longest Journey was one of them and the best thing was the excellent lead role character, the varied non playable characters u meet, the worlds and story. Interface as well was nice.

Im after more of this type of game. I hated TLJ 2 Dreamfall it was nothing like the first except some similarities to april and some locations.

I am after some new adv games and havent kept up with all the new ones this and last year. So can i get some recommendations.

I would like in the games lots of dialogue and loads of ppl to meet and interact with towards the story. Good locations, good story, good inventory puzzles like in tlj.

I was lookin at Culpa Innata but not sure as the gfx are rather poor its like something from the 90's. The game apart from gfx looks ok. Whats ppls views on this, is the poor gfx that noticable when u play? Whats the setting and story like (briefly).

Apart from Culpa is there any other games ppl might recommend to me? I do like scifi (doesnt have to always be space ones) diff worlds or in the future is fine etc)

One last thing NO ACTION SEQUENCES, i found from playing dreamfall i detest them. So i dont want to play a game like that again so try to not recommend them types. Unless its easy but explain the action in the games u say incase i dont want to do them.

Last edited by Skeeter22UK; 11/13/07 09:51 AM.
Re: Any of this years games like Longest Jorney 1? [Re: SkeeterUK] #230920
11/13/07 10:59 AM
11/13/07 10:59 AM
Ontario, Canada
jldcat Offline
Addicted Boomer
jldcat  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Ontario, Canada
There is an older game you might like called Keepsake. I believe there is a review and walkthrough on this site so you can check it out.

In fact here is the link to the review by Nickie http://www.gameboomers.com/reviews/Kk/Keepsakebynickie.htm.

As for games coming out this year I can only think of the new Agatha Christie: Evil Under the Sun as being conversation and inventory heavy.

The breeze from one door closing opens another.
Re: Any of this years games like Longest Jorney 1? [Re: SkeeterUK] #230921
11/13/07 11:00 AM
11/13/07 11:00 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Skeeter -- by action sequences do you mean stealth and combat challenges? Or do you mean any challenge that is timed?

You should check out Secret Files: Tunguska. I'm not sure if there are any timed sequences in it -- but it has all the other qualities you're looking for.

If you enjoy mechanical/logic puzzles, you might also want to try Keepsake, which fits your criteria except that it doesn't have that many inventory puzzles.

As for Culpa's graphics -- personally, I did not think that they detracted from the game. The environments were immersive and interesting to explore. (If your impression of the graphics comes from viewing the trailers, you are not necessarily getting an accurate picture of the game. The trailers mostly feature cut scenes from the game, and don't represent the game's environments.)

EDIT: Hi jldcat -- looks like we had the same idea at the same time. lol

Last edited by Becky; 11/13/07 11:26 AM. Reason: Posted simultaneously by accident.
Re: Any of this years games like Longest Jorney 1? [Re: Becky] #230938
11/13/07 11:19 AM
11/13/07 11:19 AM
Sumrall, MS
raylinstephens Offline
Addicted Boomer
raylinstephens  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sumrall, MS
I think you might enjoy NiBiRu and Wintersun as well. And, of course, the Agatha Christie games.

Linda wave

So many games, so little time.
Re: Any of this years games like Longest Jorney 1? [Re: raylinstephens] #231010
11/13/07 02:19 PM
11/13/07 02:19 PM
United Kingdom
SkeeterUK Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
SkeeterUK  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

United Kingdom
Yeah i have played Secret files tunguska, was mint. smile

Action sequences like stealth and if u fail u die types basically i didnt like the dreamfall bits where u could die or be captured. Timed sequences i dont like but depends what type it is and if its easy or not.

About Culpa, the gfx that off put me the most was the lipsync, its like that on startrek ds9 the fallen, and thats from the late 90's and thought it looked naff then and naff now. Why not something from source engine or anything from last 3-4 years i thought. Also the animations like running looked naff as well tbh.

I know i shouldnt put so much thought into gfx as its allways about gameplay but i guess im at that age (25) that i am just too used to new gfx like half life 2 etc now, its extremily hard to like anything with less gfx. I mean look at that al emmo or somit "diamond mine" game i forgot name of its like a old dos game and i thought id enjoy it but the interface and gfx were too old.

The most old thing i would play these days would be games of gfx like TLJ or gabriel knight 3.

Keepsake, thats the one where u have a dog aint it? I dont think i liked the sound of that when it came out it sounded boring and lifeless as i heard theres not many ppl to chat with and i love chatting to lots of new ppl in adv games. I love the storys they tell etc and trying to get clues out of them or help is great fun. :)Guess i should point out i need the game to be 3rd person point and click like TLJ as i hated myst (10 mins of that and it was off the hard drive lol) i really dont like first person adventure games gabriel knight 3 was the exception tho as it had a camera option where u can see urself.

Last edited by Skeeter22UK; 11/13/07 02:27 PM.
Re: Any of this years games like Longest Jorney 1? [Re: SkeeterUK] #231049
11/13/07 03:46 PM
11/13/07 03:46 PM
Canada
Sally(MG) Offline
Settled Boomer
Sally(MG)  Offline
Settled Boomer

Canada
Skeeter22UK, I don't think age has anything to do with it, personally. I'm a big old 26 and I still run virtual win95 / DosBOX / ScummVM to keep all my old games running. As much as I enjoy this year's new games, I'd rather load up Day of the Tentacle or the old Sam and Max (AGAIN) any day. It's nice to see a graphical upgrade to an old game like Sid Meier's Pirates! but I'd still play the old version if the new one wasn't available.

I used to love the Broken Sword series but BS4 really disappointed me - great lovely graphical update, with box pushing puzzles and loads of stealth sequences. frown

Back on topic: I enjoyed Nibiru quite a bit, and Keepsake was ok (It was not dialogue heavy enough for me and the big empty spaces with nobody to talk to got boring for me fast). The Agatha Christie games both 1 and 2 were lovely - lots of dialogue, no action sequences (there are some timed bits) and great story. I haven't played the latest one but it's definitely next.

You've set a pretty high bar there - there aren't ANY games like TLJ. smile

MinuteGamer
Free flash games, casual game reviews and wts.
Latest: Virtual Villagers 3 cheats
Re: Any of this years games like Longest Jorney 1? [Re: Sally(MG)] #231071
11/13/07 04:23 PM
11/13/07 04:23 PM
United Kingdom
SkeeterUK Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
SkeeterUK  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

United Kingdom
Well games like

syberia 1 and 2
gk3
secret files tunguska
tlj 1
simon sorcerer 1 2 and yes 3d as loved it
monkey island
indy fate/atlantis prob the 2nd best game ever played
broken sword, new ones not too bad i thought but got bored half way through.

These games i liked and want more of mainly syberia/tlj/gk3 types.

I wouldnt mind a funny game like simon the sorcerer tho with rude and sarcy main character. smile

Re: Any of this years games like Longest Jorney 1? [Re: SkeeterUK] #231091
11/13/07 05:19 PM
11/13/07 05:19 PM
Illinois
BubbaJake Offline
Settled Boomer
BubbaJake  Offline
Settled Boomer

Illinois
Skeeter, give DreamFall another shot. I was so unhappy when I first started it. I wanted April and the college scene, all the friends, etc. BUT, once I got into playing it I fell in love with it. I'm currently replaying it for the 3rd time! I really like the lock puzzles, and don't know why, but on the laptop I kick some bootie in fights. Give this one another try. The Syberias are very nice. Black Mirror also has some excellent puzzles, and THE RAIN... One other very good newer game is Moment Of Silence. Puzzles are thought out and very much a part of the game. Lots of locations for all of these and well drawn out characters and stories. I'm playing Culpa now (waiting for Lost Crown) liking Culpa, and I have a feeling the story is going to zig when I think it'll zag. I had a few crashes, but I've learned it's from me trying to do stuff the game doesn't expect. For the most part it's dead on and smooth. Faces are the most important part of the graphics, I think. They are excellent and very realistic. Phoenix' friend Sandra has the most realistic face I've ever seen in a game.

Re: Any of this years games like Longest Jorney 1? [Re: BubbaJake] #231152
11/13/07 07:21 PM
11/13/07 07:21 PM
United Kingdom
SkeeterUK Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
SkeeterUK  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

United Kingdom
Just tryed getting back into TMOS i think ill try to do more i duno cos the voice acting is terrible.

The lab thing where the spider bot things and u gotta sneak about in dreamfall is what put me off and where im tryin to escape is where i left it. Didnt like the troll bit either so skipped that with help from a boomer save game. I think i got a save to pass this escape from security but i dont know where it will be now as its been half a year since i stoped etc.

Re: Any of this years games like Longest Jorney 1? [Re: BubbaJake] #231154
11/13/07 07:25 PM
11/13/07 07:25 PM
Texas
nickie Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
nickie  Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
Adept Boomer

Texas
If you like Simon, you might like Ankh (I liked the second one better). Cartooney style graphics, but pleasing and colorful, lots of folks to talk to, items to interact with, and a sassy character.
For more serious games, Still Life has gorgeous graphics, and I also like TMOS that was already mentioned.

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Re: Any of this years games like Longest Jorney 1? [Re: nickie] #231175
11/13/07 08:05 PM
11/13/07 08:05 PM
United Kingdom
SkeeterUK Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
SkeeterUK  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

United Kingdom
Done still life, did a memeber review for boomers if u remember?

Re: Any of this years games like Longest Jorney 1? [Re: SkeeterUK] #231181
11/13/07 08:12 PM
11/13/07 08:12 PM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Hi Skeeter, yes we have a Still Life review here. wink

Have you tried Sam & Max Season One?

Re: Any of this years games like Longest Jorney 1? [Re: Becky] #231200
11/13/07 08:42 PM
11/13/07 08:42 PM
United Kingdom
SkeeterUK Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
SkeeterUK  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

United Kingdom
Becky i meant the review i made for this site not someone elses lol. I was in my own way saying yes i played it friend and if you remember i did a review for this place after. wink link

Yes i have s1 of sam and max, Tbh i think there boring games they draged on and wernt very funny well maybe the first was ok but i didnt care for the others.

Re: Any of this years games like Longest Jorney 1? [Re: SkeeterUK] #231360
11/14/07 08:39 AM
11/14/07 08:39 AM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

lol Sorry for my general obtuseness. Nice review, btw. grin

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Orion), 264 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users