GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
And the worst game is..................? #243986
12/10/07 02:57 AM
12/10/07 02:57 AM
Scotland
reikidave Offline OP
Settled Boomer
reikidave  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Scotland
A few days playing games on the Mac (WillFred the Windows Box is fixed, now) - I had to dig out the old, old games.

There are some superb, stuning, amazing, infuriating, exciting, invigorating , challenging and downright wonderful games out there. Games which rival great literature or cinema in their visual beauty or tight plotting. Games which entertain and educate, which move you and bring joy (or frustration) to your day.

I have re-discovered that there are also games which should never, ever, ever have seen the light of day. Definitely anything involving Lara Croft or Leisure Suit Larry.

So - what games should have been left on the drawing board or as uncompiled code?

I'm nominating Plan Nine From Outer Space, Hopkins FBI (a pain to install on Linux, and not worth the effort), The Moment of Silence and Mystery of The Druids (with apologies to House of Tales for a dual nomination).

My karma just ran over my dogma.........
Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: reikidave] #243991
12/10/07 03:28 AM
12/10/07 03:28 AM
PolloDiablo Offline
Settled Boomer
PolloDiablo  Offline
Settled Boomer

- Cold Case File, so boring, short and easy it doesn't even deserve the word 'game'.
- Dead Reefs, so buggy I can't play it because it freezes my computer whenever I try to open a certain door.

Why TMoS reikidave? It's one of my favorite games, ever, and I still recommend it to anyone who asks for a game with a great story. I know the controls aren't always cooperating very well, but for me that was only a bit of a nuisance and not a dominating problem. I haven't played any of the other games you mention, although I have bought Hopkins FBI and Mystery of the Druids and they are waiting for a rainy weekend.

I'll be back, one day, when I feel like it.
Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: reikidave] #243992
12/10/07 03:30 AM
12/10/07 03:30 AM
Isle of Man
gremlin Offline
Addicted Boomer
gremlin  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Isle of Man
Originally Posted By: reikidave
I have re-discovered that there are also games which should never, ever, ever have seen the light of day. Definitely anything involving Lara Croft or Leisure Suit Larry.

I'm nominating Plan Nine From Outer Space, Hopkins FBI (a pain to install on Linux, and not worth the effort), The Moment of Silence and Mystery of The Druids (with apologies to House of Tales for a dual nomination).

What a quandary. At first I find myself in complete disagreement with you : the Lara Croft games are excellent. Of Larry I know little, and what little I know ensures I don't find out more.

P9FOS and Hopkins FBI... I have no idea. I though Plan Nine was an OS (it is).

However, in the end I have to wholeheartedly endorse & second your nominations for The Moment of Silence and The Mystery of the Druids. I didn't enjoy either of them. TMOS is dull, dreary, clichéd and predictable. MotD is illogical (which is okay in Monkey Island, but infuriating in a police procedural investigation) and dull. Almost as much fun as Operation Wintersun.

Gremlin

Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: gremlin] #243993
12/10/07 03:58 AM
12/10/07 03:58 AM
metamorphium Offline
Settled Boomer
metamorphium  Offline
Settled Boomer

I'd like to nominate on the post of the worst (not only adventure) game of all time ANY of the Microsoft Windows (tm) OS installments.

1. Illogical puzzles (trying to install new hardware on VISTA for example)
2. Random crashes
3. Unstability
4. Performance drops
5. Not satisfactory ending
6. Very little tech support
7. Getting boring over the time
8. Frustrating action sequences (beating keyboard or pressing ok when multiple error messages keep popping up)

Seriously - I sometimes wonder how many games at all people posting stuff like "Moment of Silence is the worst game" actually played. I liked moment of silence and I would say that it was definitely one of the better adventures coming out in the last years.

Developing: ...

www.cbe-software.com

Created J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars, Serena, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet
Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: metamorphium] #244017
12/10/07 06:54 AM
12/10/07 06:54 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Stony Brook, New York, USA
lol Frustrating action sequences?

I'm going to initiate a "And the best game is......." thread so we can have both going at once. It'll be interesting to see which games are listed on both threads. grin

Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: Becky] #244111
12/10/07 09:56 AM
12/10/07 09:56 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi smile

The worst game for me was The Sacred Mirror of Kofun smashpc smashpc

Cheers.

Mad wink

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: Becky] #244112
12/10/07 09:59 AM
12/10/07 09:59 AM
cornwall england
old lady Offline
Settled Boomer
old lady  Offline
Settled Boomer

cornwall england
For me I often dislike a game because I don't like the main character e.g Ankh, I found so irritating that I never finished. My top choice for for worst game has to be Dead Reefs for many reasons, the arrogance of the main character, the WASD controls, the fact that I did something wrong and got totally stuck and had to start again. evil

I enjoyed Moment of Silence and the Mystery of the Druids at the time but I think they are now very dated and we have moved on to much better games like Syberia and Darkness Within

Has any one seen any little gray cells around as I think I've lost some? Reward for finder.
Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: old lady] #244171
12/10/07 11:17 AM
12/10/07 11:17 AM
hunched over my computer
wysewomon Offline
Addicted Boomer
wysewomon  Offline
Addicted Boomer

hunched over my computer
Oh gosh....I'm right with you there with Mystery of the Druids. And the Frankenstein TTEOTM game--even though it had Tim Curry it just was the biggest bore I've ever tried to play through. I finish most games but I just couldn;t force myself through that one.

WW

"So then he says it's enough to take aim! What's that supposed to mean?!?"

Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: wysewomon] #244179
12/10/07 11:29 AM
12/10/07 11:29 AM
Sacramento, CA USA
Betty Lou Offline
Adept Boomer
Betty Lou  Offline
Adept Boomer

Sacramento, CA USA
...and yet I found Frankenstein TTEOTM to be one of the best most entertaining games I have played, and loved Tim Curry in the role of the 'doctor'...I have even dug it out and replayed it at least twice whilst awaiting another 'soon to be released' game on my MUST HAVE list! I guess it's true, "one man's trash is another man's garbage" (and I am a female) and "to each his own" and "variety is the spice of life". What a wonderful (gaming) world we 'live' in! thumbsup
Love, Betty Lou

Last edited by Betty Lou Brewer Jones; 12/10/07 11:30 AM.

I am 'the HAT lady"! and "who loves ya BABY?!"
Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: wysewomon] #244180
12/10/07 11:31 AM
12/10/07 11:31 AM
SE Michigan
T
The Haze Offline
Addicted Boomer
The Haze  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

SE Michigan
duh My least favorite game ever is among the newer games and will probably garner some hostility, but I hated, and would not finish, Penumba: Overture. I found it tedious with dull graphics and overly-easy puzzles. I don't think there has ever been a game I disliked as quickly or as completely.

If all the people were heroes, there would be no one to watch the parades.
Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: The Haze] #244189
12/10/07 11:48 AM
12/10/07 11:48 AM
Arizona
G
Gillan Offline
Settled Boomer
Gillan  Offline
Settled Boomer
G

Arizona
I would nominate Forever Worlds. This sounded so good, but I could not get it to work properly no matter how hard I tried and in the end it froze my comp up everytime I tried to open a game.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

- Robert A Heinlein
Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: The Haze] #244193
12/10/07 12:05 PM
12/10/07 12:05 PM
McClure P.A. USA.
ron.etti Offline
Addicted Boomer
ron.etti  Offline
Addicted Boomer

McClure P.A. USA.
This is kind of funny.
I was looking over my old games to see what i could
trade.I come across Shivers 2.
I hated this game the first time i played it, and never finished
it.
I installed it to remind me why i disliked it .
Yes you guessed it, i am getting a hoot out of
this game.
I always had a soft spot for old games,but i think after playing so many newer DUD games i appreciate them more.

Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: Betty Lou] #244203
12/10/07 12:17 PM
12/10/07 12:17 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Betty Lou Brewer Jones
...and yet I found Frankenstein TTEOTM to be one of the best most entertaining games I have played, and loved Tim Curry in the role of the 'doctor'...I have even dug it out and replayed it at least twice whilst awaiting another 'soon to be released' game on my MUST HAVE list! I guess it's true, "one man's trash is another man's garbage" (and I am a female) and "to each his own" and "variety is the spice of life". What a wonderful (gaming) world we 'live' in! thumbsup
Love, Betty Lou

And I enjoyed "Mystery of the Druids." My discovery of "Twelve Bridges" (in Druids) was one of my favorite gaming moments. And "Moment of Silence" had a great story, which I still find myself thinking about when I see access to information being restricted, or old sources of information gone defunct.

Maybe the title of the thread should be about your "personal worst." It's pretty clear that not many people in here have played (or even read about) "The Sacred Mirror of Kofun" or it would show up a lot more often.

Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: ron.etti] #244209
12/10/07 12:24 PM
Scotland
reikidave Offline OP
Settled Boomer
reikidave  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Scotland
Sorry to all TMoS fans: the game's premise was great, but I had terrible trouble getting it to work - a 241mb patch solved the problem. Trouble is, the artwork, acting and puzzles just didn't engage me. I'll admit, though, that this could be a failing in me and not a lack of quality in TMoS. I find that House of Tales usually fails to live up to expectations - which is sad, because Overclocked looks to be potentially an intriguing and challenging game.

gremlin - I should have said "Plan 9 From Outer Space" - excellent film (honestly!) but a screamingly, teeth-grindingly abysmal game. If you can find a copy lurking out there in the dank corners of the internet, try it and see if I'm wrong. (I do play all games I post on). Wish you hadn't mentioned the Plan 9 os, though - I have got to try the live cd (my addictions are Adventure Games and unusual OSes. Solaris is superb on VMWare Player).

metamorphium - you are so right. Windows and Linux (even today) are a pain for upgrades and patches. Except for Mandriva, anything based on Debian.For me, Apple's OSX series is the easiest.

Really, I started this thread because trying some of the old games made me realise just how high-quality the Adventure Games being made today are, even ones made by amateurs and purely for love (the Ben Jordan series, The White Room and most of what's on the AGS website are cases in point). They don't just benefit from better technology, they are infinitely superior to much of what has gone before.

My karma just ran over my dogma.........
Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: Jenny100] #244210
Larnaca, Cyprus
Butcher Offline
Addicted Boomer
Butcher  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Larnaca, Cyprus
Well i can't really remember a game which i absolutely hated when it comes to Adv Games, sure some games i found more enjoyable than others but nothing comes to mind at the moment. Oh i got one, Paradise, i tried that game for about 10 mins and then uninstalled it. That was probably the worst Adve Game i ever played.

"Cannot The Kingdom Of Salvation Take Me Home?"

R.I.P Cliff Burton
Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: Butcher] #244213
12/10/07 12:30 PM
12/10/07 12:30 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Butcher, in ten minutes you can barely get started much less decide if it is a bad game. You missed a great one in my opinion, Paradise was an excellent game.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #244252
12/10/07 02:03 PM
12/10/07 02:03 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
I really liked Moment of Silence & Mystery of the Druids (although it was quite difficult). I also think the Tomb Raider series are excellent games. The game I have come across which I think is the absolute worst is In Memoriam (aka Missing in January) - it is the only game I have completely given up on & would never go back to. Conspiracies I didn't think was that great & as for Forever Worlds - I thought it was dire when I first played it but through replaying sections to help out on hints I ended up getting quite fond of it! (I don't know whether that makes it a less dire game!)

Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: chrissie] #244269
12/10/07 03:02 PM
12/10/07 03:02 PM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
I'm adding my two-pennorth to the support for The Moment of Silence, as it's one of my most favourite games. smile

As for the worst game - I do have to agree with Butcher, Paradise was an absolute stinker. Never has a game depressed me quite so much as this one did, with its drab colourscheme and monotonal main character. Having come from the same developer as the Syberias and Amerzone, this was such a disappointment for me personally.

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: Rushes] #244273
12/10/07 03:09 PM
12/10/07 03:09 PM
Northwestern New Mexico, USA
Jenny Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Jenny  Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Sonic Boomer

How about The Scroll? That got a lot of votes the last time we had a "worst game" thread...think

"Once you give up integrity, the rest is easy." Anonymous
Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: Jenny] #244294
12/10/07 04:16 PM
12/10/07 04:16 PM
Texas
nickie Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
nickie  Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
Adept Boomer

Texas
Fork in the Tale. One wrong step and you replay a scene over and over. razz
I thought Kofun had some beautiful underwater shots. Wish I could have made the game play all the way through.
Loved TMOS, Dead Reefs and Paradise.

Last edited by nickie; 12/10/07 04:26 PM. Reason: grinched

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: nickie] #244301
12/10/07 04:35 PM
12/10/07 04:35 PM
lspace Offline
Settled Boomer
lspace  Offline
Settled Boomer

Without getting too descriptive because some people are still playing this game, my worst game to date is Next Life. Although it did make me laugh in a few places with the zany translations. Canoe: old bark. laugh That made me laugh out loud.

Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: lspace] #244330
12/10/07 05:37 PM
12/10/07 05:37 PM
Berkeley, CA
O
orchgamer Offline
Settled Boomer
orchgamer  Offline
Settled Boomer
O

Berkeley, CA
In addition to Frankenstein (one of only two games I just couldn't finish) I would like to add Necronomicon to the list of bad games...

Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: Jenny] #244359
12/10/07 06:34 PM
12/10/07 06:34 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Jenny
How about The Scroll? That got a lot of votes the last time we had a "worst game" thread...think

I think all the old "The Scroll" players died off.
Either that or they developed amnesia about it to preserve their sanity.

Originally Posted By: Rushes
As for the worst game - I do have to agree with Butcher, Paradise was an absolute stinker. Never has a game depressed me quite so much as this one did, with its drab colourscheme and monotonal main character. Having come from the same developer as the Syberias and Amerzone, this was such a disappointment for me personally.

Have to agree with that. It was dreary and depressing and the main character was a mindless drone. Especially coming after games like Amerzone and the Syberias, I was expecting more of the same magic... but got something akin to dried sludge instead.

Originally Posted By: lspace
Without getting too descriptive because some people are still playing this game, my worst game to date is Next Life. Although it did make me laugh in a few places with the zany translations. Canoe: old bark. That made me laugh out loud.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360003174944

Actually, it's not a common usage, but bark does mean boat
Quote:
bark3 /bɑrk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[bahrk] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. Nautical. a sailing vessel having three or more masts, square-rigged on all but the aftermost mast, which is fore-and-aft-rigged.
2. Literary. a boat or sailing vessel.
Also, barque.

[Origin: 1425–75; late ME barke < OF barque ≪ LL barca, L *bārica, bāris < Gk bâris Egyptian barge < Coptic barī barge]

Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: Jenny100] #244384
12/10/07 07:09 PM
12/10/07 07:09 PM
Jenny Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Jenny  Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Sonic Boomer

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Originally Posted By: Jenny

I think all the old "The Scroll" players died off.
Either that or they developed amnesia about it to preserve their sanity.

That's great, Jenny... rotfl

"Once you give up integrity, the rest is easy." Anonymous
Re: And the worst game is..................? [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #244415
12/10/07 09:10 PM
12/10/07 09:10 PM
Southern California
Darlene Offline
Adept Boomer
Darlene  Offline
Adept Boomer

Southern California
Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
Butcher, in ten minutes you can barely get started much less decide if it is a bad game. You missed a great one in my opinion, Paradise was an excellent game.

Ana wave

wave I have 'Paradise', played it for an hour or so and didn't get into it...however, maybe I should give it a real try and then make a decision. My all time least fave has to be 'Moment of Silence'. Toooooooo much talking! The incessant conversation trees would put me to sleep... sleep

Woohoo and booyah! smile Have an easy peasy day!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (curly), 312 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users