GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Doom III #154879
06/05/07 08:17 PM
06/05/07 08:17 PM
Chisago City, MN
Alone in the dark Freak Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Alone in the dark Freak  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Chisago City, MN
I know, this game is pretty old, but I felt like reviewing a game and I was just playing it.

Honestly, this game is disappointing to me, and here are my reasons why...

Number one, the lighting. People tell me this game looks fantastic, and I would believe them if I could see any of the backgrounds. This game is so unbelievably dark that most of the enemies you encounter will end up behind you. And yes, they give you a flashlight, but apparently in the year 2145, they can't yet manufacture weapons with lights built in, or, you know, have some duct tape laying around so you can tape the light to your weapon.

Number two, the enemies. Contrary to popular belief, the enemies in this game ARE NOT SCARY, not even in the least bit. This game is one example of where going full 3D can actually hurt the game. To make up for this, the game makes them jump out of dark parts of the map (which is pretty much everywhere), which gets old really quick, and eventually gets really annoying.

Now for the weapons. The weapons made me for frustrated than any other bad aspect of this game. Unlike in the previous Doom games, where the weapons looked, felt, and sounded powerful, none of those aspects are found here. When I was firing the pistol, I felt like I was shooting a toy gun, and it didn't have any real affect on the enemy. The same goes for most of the other weapons. None of them really have any stopping power, and they sound horrendously underpowered. That and the fact that the recoil just looks too minor for being the powerful weapons they are. Oddly enough though, they sound much more powerful when an enemy is firing it.

I would go into detail about the plot, but like any Doom game, there really isn't any depth or detail to the plot. It's essentially "Go from point A to point B and kill everything in between."
Click to reveal..
Of course they try to make up for that with the vague plot of you having to catch up to a group called Fireteam Bravo , but they get wiped out not too far into the game, leaving you alone of course.
Overall, the plot is just a really really weak excuse for the action, which is less than stellar.

Oh, by the way, I know this review is sounding really negative, but I'm sorry to say, I really don't like this game...

The last thing is the PDAs. Now in this game, not only are you gunning your way through the level, but now id decided to throw PDAs into the mix. In short, the PDAs are utterly pointless, and detracting to the already not-so-pleasant experience. Go through this logic with me...

Doom: A fast-paced high-octane shoot-em-up where you take huge powerful weapons and blast away demons from the unholy abyss while a hardcore metal track plays in the background.

PDA: a Personal Data Assistant that lets you store various things that you calmly access from time to time in case you forget something.

These two...do not add up correctly. The whole idea that you shoot the whole area up with a Gatling gun has absolutely nothing to do with calmness, or concentration, and now you have to stop the action just so you can listen to some guy ramble on and on about strange noises he heard or how people are acting strange, which is obviously pointless considering everyone is dead anyways. The only thing the PDAs are good for is getting security codes for the cabinets scattered throughout the base. But to get the code you have to either read a very boring E-Mail, or listen to a long-winded, boring audio log about something completely unrelated and pay attention at the end, and if you didn't quite catch it, you have to listen to it all over again while an imp is making a meal out of your bottom.

I do not give Doom III a good rating, I give it a 4.5 out of 10. This game should have stayed more true to it's roots and did a better job on making the action more exciting.

Last edited by Alone in the dark Freak; 06/05/07 08:18 PM.

"People who don't care what other people think are usually desperate for people to think they don't care what other people think"

-George Carlin
Re: Doom III [Re: Alone in the dark Freak] #154933
06/05/07 09:54 PM
06/05/07 09:54 PM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Thank you for your thoughts on the game.

Re: Doom III [Re: MaG] #154945
06/05/07 10:18 PM
06/05/07 10:18 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Do you like the other Doom games better?

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Doom III [Re: looney4labs] #155578
06/07/07 08:14 AM
06/07/07 08:14 AM
Chisago City, MN
Alone in the dark Freak Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Alone in the dark Freak  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Chisago City, MN
Very much so. The only classic Doom game that I don't like is Final Doom.

"People who don't care what other people think are usually desperate for people to think they don't care what other people think"

-George Carlin
Re: Doom III [Re: Alone in the dark Freak] #268036
01/24/08 02:35 PM
01/24/08 02:35 PM
Duluth, MN
Gnabgib Offline
Shy Boomer
Gnabgib  Offline
Shy Boomer

Duluth, MN
I thought the addition of PDAs was well integrated into the game.

"To Alcohol, The Cause Of And Solution To, All Of Life's Problems." Homer Simpson
Currently Playing: ResidentEvil 6 on PS3, Penumbra: Necrologue on PC
Re: Doom III [Re: Gnabgib] #268119
01/24/08 05:43 PM
01/24/08 05:43 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Hi Gnabgib, Was this your first time playing the game?

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Doom III [Re: looney4labs] #268562
01/25/08 01:42 PM
01/25/08 01:42 PM
Michigan
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
Try "BIOSHOCK" Alone in the dark Freak.It will ease your pain!

Re: Doom III [Re: Geo] #269081
01/26/08 01:14 PM
01/26/08 01:14 PM
Duluth, MN
Gnabgib Offline
Shy Boomer
Gnabgib  Offline
Shy Boomer

Duluth, MN
Yes, had the game for a while but didn't get around to playing it till recently. The original doom was the first computer game i ever played.

"To Alcohol, The Cause Of And Solution To, All Of Life's Problems." Homer Simpson
Currently Playing: ResidentEvil 6 on PS3, Penumbra: Necrologue on PC
Re: Doom III [Re: Gnabgib] #282669
02/21/08 10:58 AM
02/21/08 10:58 AM
Texas
nickie Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
nickie  Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
Adept Boomer

Texas
Thanks Alone, it answered my questions and I know where to point people who ask about it! Hope you find something you like better to play.

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Re: Doom III [Re: Alone in the dark Freak] #326074
05/12/08 10:00 PM
05/12/08 10:00 PM
Some where in Fallout
Safecracker1 Offline
Settled Boomer
Safecracker1  Offline
Settled Boomer

Some where in Fallout
Alone in the dark Freak,Hi wave
I agree with what you are saying.
I didn't like the storyline(The Plot) or the way the programmers setup things in the game. headscratch
It's the year 2145 and they still haven't found a way to attach a flashlite to gun! duh
We found a way to do that back in 20th century!
The plot I give a 2, frown and the graphics I give a 9. thumbsup
Id Software could have done better with the plot! wink

Last edited by Safecracker1; 05/15/08 09:41 AM. Reason: Edited to save space and removed smiles. Which I did think they were all smiles.

I'm Fallout Fan , Sci-Fi,& Dr.Who.
I'm a grunt/Brotherhood-Of-Steel.
I fell off my forum and I can't get up! \:D
Re: Doom III [Re: Safecracker1] #327565
05/15/08 03:56 AM
05/15/08 03:56 AM
Pinson, Al USA
Robert Offline
Addicted Boomer
Robert  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Pinson, Al USA
Quote:
It's the year 2145 and they still haven't found a way to attach a flashlite to gun!

Wow, what a strange co-incidence. I just mentioned the "duct tape mod" in your "Mod" topic on the Dark Side forum. Here's a link to it if you want to try it out.
http://files.filefront.com/Doom+3+Duct+Tape+Mod/;3585059;/fileinfo.html

Re: Doom III [Re: Robert] #327662
05/15/08 08:54 AM
05/15/08 08:54 AM
Some where in Fallout
Safecracker1 Offline
Settled Boomer
Safecracker1  Offline
Settled Boomer

Some where in Fallout
Robert,Hiwave
I played Doom 3 and I know about the Mod.
The programmers should have duct tape the flashlight to the gun
before the re-leased the game. duh

I'm Fallout Fan , Sci-Fi,& Dr.Who.
I'm a grunt/Brotherhood-Of-Steel.
I fell off my forum and I can't get up! \:D
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Fogfighter, Lex), 251 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users