GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage    
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#270034 - 01/28/08 12:03 PM Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: MrLipid]
ron.etti Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: McClure P.A. USA.
Back in early 2000 the rumor was the Adventure game was dead.
You could read it on some reviews how the games were not
being made.
We have talked about it here many times and all were glad
to see they were wrong.
Could this be the stake that is driven in the Adventure game
heart?
I can't get DSL where i live .Down loading games is not a
opinion for me.
But i have a lot of oldies but goodie to play so i am not to
concerned....

#270046 - 01/28/08 12:22 PM Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: ron.etti]
gaily Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Ca.
My two cents: I have played both, and I'll tell you what it boils down to for me. For $30. or more, I should be able to replay any game that I have purchased on my computer when I am in the mood to do so. With a disc I don't have games sitting around taking up space on my hard drive, slowing down my computer etc. With a download, I don't believe that you can re-install a game (nevermind the time it takes to download vs. install a game from disc)once you have uninstalled it. The game Cleopatra, (a huge game)springs to mind. But I am thrilled with the many terrific adventure games that are out there to choose from! I just finished Evil Under the Sun, and plan to get back to GITS. Whoo-hoo! thumbsup

#270063 - 01/28/08 12:51 PM Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Bernard]
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: london uk
Originally Posted By: Bernard
Mad, did you ever read the software licenses when you install a new piece of software? (I know most people don't!). Whenever you obtain software, you don't owe it but you just did pay for the right to use it. When you sell that software (and even that is not always allowed) you are obliged to remove the software from your computer.
Bernard

Does this not apply to a lot of products particularly DVD/Video films & music CDs cassettes etc. You don't sign a lengthy agreement but most will state that they are copyright protected. So I think it is generally understood that although you might own the e.g DVD, CD with the film, music etc, the contents are not yours to use as you wish i.e you are restricted to personal use only & legally cannot copy, distribute or show/play in a public domain without seeking appropriate licenses to do so. To make a point though, once you've bought a film/music DVD/CD you are free to play it on any equipment & it's yours for life! Also I've bought music by download & have been able to burn it to disc which plays on a CD player.

My point is that license agreements on games should surely only refer to ownership of the content of the game rather than the game - if that makes sense! woozy In which case if you pay for a game via download it is yours & the publisher should ensure that you have the means to keep your purchase for life!

I can see the piracy problem with games that are ultimately going to be released on disc being available earlier by download, but the gamer does have the option to wait although I can see this is not going to be good news for the developer/publisher if no-one buys the download version to start with!

My main concern, as I know it is of a few other fellow GBers, is a possible trend towards games being available by download only.

As for pirated copies of games being available before their release - IMO this has got to be the work of someone involved in the production/testing of a game. smile

#270164 - 01/28/08 04:40 PM Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: chrissie]
LindaMarion Offline
Settled Boomer

My main concern, as I know it is of a few other fellow GBers, is a possible trend towards games being available by download only.

I agree 100 %
it is completly as unfair as the piratse
the big Co.s are not intrested in us players amd posts and emails dont help
they understand 1 thing profits and if peopl wont buy theyll stop there teribly bad practises

#270532 - 01/29/08 09:33 AM Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: LindaMarion]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi smile

As my own final comment on this issue I would emphasise that I have always supported developers of adventure games and shown it by by spending some of my not very plentiful income on buying their games thumbsup

And of course I hope to continue to be able to support them - but if "purchase by download" ever becomes the only option, for whatever reason, I will be very sad AND sorely tested in my resolve yes

Cheers.

Mad wave

#270583 - 01/29/08 11:10 AM Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Mad]
misa Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: PA, USA
I don't mind purchasing a download directly from a developer if they cannot find a North American distributor for the boxed version. I'd rather have access to a game I want to play rather than wait months to play it from a boxed version. Like others, I do mind if the installs are limited and whatnot. Having said that, I have purchased from Adventure Game Shop, directly from Kheops and Big Fish Games and will probably continue to purchase online downloads if the option is there (i.e., haven't boycotted).

I'm not sure if anyone's done some indepth analysis of the market and pirates but I don't think pirates are getting the games through online store downloads OR boxed retail releases. If the gaming industry is anything like the music industry, it's usually someone on the inside (at any stage of development, production, Q&A, pressing, distribution, etc.) who releases it to someone else and then gets put out on the internet. This happens in the music industry all the time since there are so many people involved in the final product.

Edited by misa (01/29/08 11:11 AM)

#270611 - 01/29/08 12:11 PM Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: misa]
LindaMarion Offline
Settled Boomer

I don't mind purchasing a download directly from a developer if they cannot find a North American distributor for the boxed version.
i do mind and alot

I have payed online many games from Indys and i get the whole caboodle - cd box or gemcase, manuel or on cd etc
I absolutly refuse to buy downloads with all sorts of strings
There are very plenty of fair games to buy and play. why should I support the u8nfair develpers

If the gaming industry is anything like the music industry, it's usually someone on the inside (at any stage of development, production, Q&A, pressing, distribution, etc.) who releases it to someone else and then gets put out on the internet.

exactly the same with games especally from big co's. they pass through very many hands and some are on the www before the game is releasd

Edited by LindaMarion (01/29/08 12:12 PM)

#270640 - 01/29/08 01:09 PM Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Mad]
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer

I'm totally with you there Mad! I spend far more than I should on buying games new to support developers - I do prefer to buy disc versions but would also support the download option as well if I could burn the game to CD/DVD & install independantly on any system (a compatible one of course! lol) Otherwise I WILL boycott the games. The exception being if they turned up on BigFish - I would consider the full membership price of less than $7.00 per game a bargain price for 'rental'! smile

#270807 - 01/29/08 07:34 PM Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Becky]
Phoebe Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Brazil
I not like for game of download. What it happens if you must format your pc? And i love buy my game and keep with box and manual.
For other side the download games is a good for people who live in countries where adventures they are not published.
Here in the Italy, not all games they are published.
Maybe for these people it is good. But i prefer buy my game with box and manual and to keep in my collection

Edited by Phoebe (01/29/08 07:39 PM)

#271044 - 01/30/08 09:52 AM Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Phoebe]
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Denmark, Europe
I would like to see the developers and publishers offering both download options and a cd or dvd version of the game. I would make it so that the download would be 5-10 US dollars cheaper than the cd or dvd version. I think this is necessary to pay for the extra shipping & handling etc. if you want a CD version of the game. Of course, if you decide to buy a downloadable version first, and then later on decided that you would like to get a cd or dvd version, you should only be paying the 5-10 US dollar extra for it.

This way, people who don't have an internet broadband conection can buy (adventure) games while people who want a cd or dvd version can get it, too.

Personally, I really like the feel of the dvd box in my hands, especially if the box is so tastefully done like the ones for Jade Empire:SE - as well as for The Witcher.

I'll always try to buy the dvd version of the game, so I, too, would be very sad frown if download became the only option for buying games, incl. adventure games.

/Karsten

Edited by Karsten (01/30/08 09:53 AM)
Edit Reason: layout

#271141 - 01/30/08 12:41 PM Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Becky]
ces Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: West Seattle, WA
I hate to say this, but I really believe that downloads are going to be the only available method of getting not only games but music, videos, books, etc. in the near future - especially since once the item is downloaded you can burn your own copy on a disk. Just last night I downloaded a screen shot program - $15 if you downloaded it, $35 if you wanted it on a disk - and you just get a disk too as this particular software doesn't come in a fancy box or even a jewel case - it just comes in a disk envelope. Even Prima only makes some of their strategy guides available via download - e.g. some Myst-related guides are downloadable only. And with the current feeling that using up global resources to make paper boxes - most of which end up in the landfill as LOTS of people don't even recycle - is wasteful, I think we'll see fewer and fewer of them.

#271152 - 01/30/08 01:07 PM Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: ces]
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer

Originally Posted By: ces
I hate to say this, but I really believe that downloads are going to be the only available method of getting not only games but music, videos, books, etc. in the near future - especially since once the item is downloaded you can burn your own copy on a disk.

Hi ces, I don't know how many of the previous posts you have read, but the contention with downloadable games at the mo is that if you burn them to disc you still need to connect to the originator's website to re-install them & you are not free to install them on a newer or different system!

#271210 - 01/30/08 03:13 PM Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: chrissie]
gremlin Offline

Addicted Boomer

Loc: Isle of Man
Originally Posted By: chrissie
but the contention with downloadable games at the mo is that if you burn them to disc you still need to connect to the originator's website to re-install them & you are not free to install them on a newer or different system!

That is a highly variable situation - not all downloaded games behave that way, it was raised as a specific comment on Kheops and the Adventure Shop:

Originally Posted By: oldmariner
Jenny both Kheops and the Adventure Shop told me via e-mail you have to be connected to their site each time you install the game. their server read the key/serial number to allow installation. And you can only install a game three times after that you need a new key.

That's not necessarily how all downloaded games work now, or will work in the future.

Gremlin

#271234 - 01/30/08 03:54 PM Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: ces]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
Originally Posted By: ces
And with the current feeling that using up global resources to make paper boxes - most of which end up in the landfill as LOTS of people don't even recycle - is wasteful, I think we'll see fewer and fewer of them.

I don't buy that argument at all. The junk mail I get in my mailbox every day puts the piddling amount in a game box or manual to shame. Besides, what happens when you get a pdf manual on disc and no paper manual -- and you need to refer to the manual while playing the game? You end up printing out the pdf manual, and that takes MUCH more paper than a peeny little game manual.

Originally Posted By: gremlin

Originally Posted By: oldmariner
Jenny both Kheops and the Adventure Shop told me via e-mail you have to be connected to their site each time you install the game. their server read the key/serial number to allow installation. And you can only install a game three times after that you need a new key.

That's not necessarily how all downloaded games work now, or will work in the future.

Gremlin

Seems to be the most common way at present though.

#271246 - 01/30/08 04:17 PM Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: gremlin]
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer

Hi gremlin, if you have a list of downloadable Adventure Games that can be burnt to independant discs pleeeeease! let us know!!! smile

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
5 registered (flotsam, ramona, gymcandy1, Pokey, Koala), 66 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Newest Members
DotEmu, JoyBunBun, Cabb, Veilant, tookiebgirl12
8544 Registered Users