GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Mad] #269539
01/27/08 11:56 AM
01/27/08 11:56 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Because some keys only work once. Specifically they'll only work with the computer you first install the game on -- and if your hard drive goes bad they won't work on the replacement. You need to know whether the key you're being given has limitations on how many times it can be used.

Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Mad] #269549
01/27/08 12:05 PM
01/27/08 12:05 PM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Mad
You can burn that to a cd, but the key has to be read by their server for the install to activate. You have to connect to their site apply the key. Their server authorizes the install.

I got this from Kheops "Yes you will need to connect to the internet after downloading the game, but only the first time you run the game to activate it with the serial number"

Which means if you buy a new pc and want to reinstall it you need to get their permission. IE connect to their site. So like an old game if years later you want to install it and the service is not there you are out of luck.

Got the same reply from the Adventure Shop. In addition they incorporate whatever DRM is on the retail disk. So you get the double whammy. The copy protection and no reinstall without connecting to their server.

I am not trying to be a hard head here and I understand their problem and I'm sympathetic to the problem. To allow unprotected early downloads before the disk is released is a recipe for disaster. The pirates would have a field day. I understand the concern. But old games like Still Life have already been stolen. The pirates will figure it out anyway. I simply want to be able to use my purchase and not have to ask permission to use a product I paid for. In the area of game developers and distribution we can't rely on them being around when these new games become classics. Even with the companies that are still around many don't support old games. Gabriel Knight, kings Quest etc. That's my issue with this.

Edit**** By including a key or serial number to activate your install along with the copy protection they are indicating this. The copy protection is not working and will be cracked by pirates. Otherwise they would not need to cripple your download with that key if copy protection was adequate.

Last edited by oldmariner; 01/27/08 12:12 PM.
Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: oldmariner] #269555
01/27/08 12:11 PM
01/27/08 12:11 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Mad, what game were you thinking of.
My downloads for the first three Agon episodes came with a reusable key and I didn't need to be connected to the Internet to install them. But the newer downloadable games from other companies seem to require you to be connected to the Internet, whether you have to enter a key or not... and they keep track of how many times you've installed their game.

Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Jenny100] #269558
01/27/08 12:14 PM
01/27/08 12:14 PM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Jenny both Kheops and the Adventure Shop told me via e-mail you have to be connected to their site each time you install the game. their server read the key/serial number to allow installation. And you can only install a game three times after that you need a new key.

Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: oldmariner] #269565
01/27/08 12:20 PM
01/27/08 12:20 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi oldmariner smile

Thank you for that info thumbsup

I must say I am not pleased with it though ....

I feel that once I have paid for a copy of a game (whether on a disk or by download) surely that copy of the game should belong to me - to play and re-play as often as I might wish ?? slapforehead

I'd be interested to read the legal ruling on this type of sale.

Cheers.

Mad wave

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Mad] #269574
01/27/08 12:40 PM
01/27/08 12:40 PM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

I'm with you Mad, I am not interested in paying full retail price to "rent" a game. It is a sad thing that these pirates create a situation where publishers have to assume their customer is going to steal their game. In the meantime I will continue to resent being treated like a crook and refuse to participate. It appears companies are forced into behaviors like Sony's with its invasive and sneaky root kit and the more recent Starforce protection scheme. As a customer I will not put up with it. I have not bought a Sony product since that stunt, nor will I. To me that was more dishonest than the pirates. I will not support games that use invasive protections. The current reaction by distributors is not in their best interest in the long term. I don't see how treating your customers as the enemy works.

Last edited by oldmariner; 01/27/08 12:41 PM.
Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: oldmariner] #269626
01/27/08 02:18 PM
01/27/08 02:18 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
I'm starting off topic here but hope it will lead to some relevance! After a tip-off from a kind fellow GBer I discovered that I had Starforce protection sneakily installed on my system.
I investigated (as all good AG fans should! lol) only to find that it must have been sitting there for a couple of years owing to the surprising number of AGs that use this. For more of a digression - the company that produce Starforce also have a removal tool & are keen that publishers who use Starforce also incorporate this into their games - obviously not happening yet - not surprising as you're not informed that you are installing Starforce in the first place!

Anyway to get a little more to the point - the gist of the counter arguments that I read against this kind of security system, apart from it being invasive, is that it is only going to stop the ordinary gamer from trying to make a copy to pass onto his/her mate(s) (YES! that's wrong!) - but won't stop the more professional pirates who will find a way!

I feel that this is exactly the same with download only games - that they only have to be in the hands of an expert hacker - & the people that lose out (as well as the developer/publisher always) are the genuine gamers who have payed out good money for a game that potentially is unplayable in the future!

Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: chrissie] #269733
01/27/08 06:29 PM
01/27/08 06:29 PM
L
LindaMarion Offline
Settled Boomer
LindaMarion  Offline
Settled Boomer
L

Mr oldmariner
I am not trying to be a hard head here and I understand their problem and I'm sympathetic to the problem. To allow unprotected early downloads before the disk is released is a recipe for disaster. The pirates would have a field day

I dont understand at all this
It is just as ease for the pirats to copy the cd game as the dowload ones
it has been so more than 1 time even before the cd game was releast

Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: LindaMarion] #269763
01/27/08 08:00 PM
01/27/08 08:00 PM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
Hi all again...

My only beef...Is why this download thing? <period>..
As most of you stated this is a disaster waiting to happen..
Lets go back to hard copy...Since we are paying the same price for download & have nothing in hand...Why are these publishers asking for problems duh

I have read this reason & that reason..

What it boils down to is money....But the publishers will lose alot of customers...Its very obvious...That most people have dial up & most want to have something that they paid $40.00 for..

I do hope this will get resolved & the publishers will see & hear our crys..

My Opinion
Thanks

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"
Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Darleen03] #269815
01/27/08 09:47 PM
01/27/08 09:47 PM
Florida
Rayfer Offline
Settled Boomer
Rayfer  Offline
Settled Boomer

Florida
Good Evening to All,

First understand that copying discs will ALWAYS be with us, You each must make the choice. If they want to control there games then maybe they should offer one price to play (rent) and another to own it. If a game costs 30.00 from a store then charge 20.00 to play it and 30.00 to own it (Say rent time good for 90 days) to own it means a burnable download with permanent key. Even with this idea there will be people out there who can and will find a workaround
Ray

No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: LindaMarion] #269826
01/27/08 10:03 PM
01/27/08 10:03 PM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Originally Posted By: LindaMarion
Mr oldmariner
I am not trying to be a hard head here and I understand their problem and I'm sympathetic to the problem. To allow unprotected early downloads before the disk is released is a recipe for disaster. The pirates would have a field day

I dont understand at all this
It is just as ease for the pirats to copy the cd game as the dowload ones
it has been so more than 1 time even before the cd game was releast

What I am suggesting is if they offered unprotected downloads before the release of the hard copies pirates would have a free ride. So copy protection is needed to be included with downloads. But to also include that install key/serial number crosses the line.

By including a limit on how many times you can install the game you bought is an out right insult to anyone who buys their product. In effect it reduces it to a rental.

Yes the pirates have had no difficulty in cracking copy protection. within a few weeks or even days after a game release the thieves have already cracked it. So isn't the whole protection thing a waste of time and money? Unless of course as a seller you have resigned yourself to short window where you can make a profit.

Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Darleen03] #269827
01/27/08 10:06 PM
01/27/08 10:06 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi smile

Sorry, Jenny100, I must apologise for completely missing your reply blush

"Mad, what game were you thinking of."

I was speaking hyperthetically about the purchase of a downloadable version of a game - not referring to any game in particular.

This is what I find confusing ....

In normal buyer/seller circumstances, if I purchase an item that is offered for sale, I am invoiced for it, and once I settle that invoice the ownership of the item then passes to me and a contract has been fulfilled by both parties.

Considering what has been said on this thread, I am wondering what exactly it IS that I will actually be "buying" if I pay for a downloable version of a game ....

Am I only buying the right to play the game ??
I won't ever own the copy ??

And further to not owning the copy, neither will I be able to play it whenever I might wish to without the continued cooperation of the seller ??

So what kind of a purchase/sales contract is that ??

Mad rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Mad] #269832
01/27/08 10:24 PM
01/27/08 10:24 PM
the Netherlands
Bernard Offline
Addicted Boomer
Bernard  Offline
Addicted Boomer

the Netherlands
Mad, did you ever read the software licenses when you install a new piece of software? (I know most people don't!). Whenever you obtain software, you don't owe it but you just did pay for the right to use it. When you sell that software (and even that is not always allowed) you are obliged to remove the software from your computer.

Bernard

Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Mad] #269834
01/27/08 10:27 PM
01/27/08 10:27 PM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
Mad. Hi

I 100 % agree with what you are saying...

We as AGERS have no rights to downloads even after we pay full price...

I do hope something is done about this download thing duh

Hi Bernard...I understand about some software downloads, But this is Adventure games...Which in the pass has never been offered for download.

Last edited by Darleen2003; 01/27/08 10:29 PM.

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"
Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Bernard] #269869
01/27/08 11:44 PM
01/27/08 11:44 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Bernard
Whenever you obtain software, you don't own it but you just did pay for the right to use it.

If that were true, people should get their money back for games that don't work.
It's more like they're buying the right to try to use it.

Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Bernard] #269882
01/28/08 02:12 AM
01/28/08 02:12 AM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Mad, did you ever read the software licenses when you install a new piece of software? (I know most people don't!). Whenever you obtain software, you don't owe it but you just did pay for the right to use it. When you sell that software (and even that is not always allowed) you are obliged to remove the software from your computer.

Bernard

Generally when you are presented a contract you read it and either agree or don't. If you agree fine. But those user agreements shoved down your throat concealed in a box can hardly be legal. Try this! Open the package and read the agreement. No way do you find the agreement on the outside. Just like no way do you learn what invasive copy protection is attached. Then take it back to where you bought it. Tell the clerk you did not agree to the terms and see how fast you get a refund on an open software box. Or better yet go to Staples rip open a box of any software. Tell the clerk you need to read the agreement before you buy. Request the use of a staples computer to view the agreement because it is in a pdf file on the disk and there is no printed copy in the box. 1 you get thrown out of the store 2 You get charged with destroying property.

Where is any contract considered legal when the terms are not disclosed prior to the closing of the transaction?

Last edited by oldmariner; 01/28/08 02:20 AM.
Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: oldmariner] #269937
01/28/08 08:47 AM
01/28/08 08:47 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi Bernard smile

I'm not sure that we're still on topic with this particular area of discussion so I won't be surprised if I get a slight nudge from a wandering Mod lol ... but ....

I must admit I don't read the software license before installing a game - and in any case I couldn't read and agree to any provisos in such a licence (as oldmariner so rightly points out) before handing over my cash to buy the game.

So, if the rights of the game's original "owner" demand respect, what about my rights as "the purchaser" if, having bought the game I take it home, unseal it, put the disk in my computer, read the licence details and decide ...."Oh dear, I can't agree to these conditions" .... ??
Can I demand the same respect and claim a full refund of the purchase price ??

I can see the need for rules and regulations in relation to software such as, for example, a Windows programme, where cooperation with Microsoft is unavoidable because they are willing to update their product free of charge as and when needed via an ongoing agreement with the purchaser. They will obviously impose stringent rules and regulations to protect that product.

But I don't understand why similar software rules should apply to the purchase and use of a game.

Being offered an "ongoing upgrade contract" as part of the purchase of a computer operating system and the "straightforward one off purchase" of a supposedly completed computer game are surely two totally different concepts ??

Mind boggling, to me, anyway !! woozy

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Mad] #269951
01/28/08 09:10 AM
01/28/08 09:10 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Stony Brook, New York, USA
Wandering in...actually, the licensing of PC games fits in with the discussion, I think.

If I had an intellectual properties lawyer at my beck and call, I'd consider weighing in on the licensing thing, but unfortunately I don't, so I'm clueless about it. wink

Hmmm. Maybe I'm clueless about the rest of these issues too!

It seems to me that when a portion of a business's customers are trying to steal their product, it is natural for the business to try to limit what is stolen from them. Here in the US, large clothing stores, for instance, still put those "sense-o-matic" tags on clothing. They don't do it because they think all their customers are thieves, and they know that some of the customers who ARE thieves have figured out a way around the tags. Stores do it because if they didn't, even more of their stock would be stolen.

Copy protection and key codes strike me as similar efforts. Yes, they are annoying, and it would be great if the legitimate customer didn't have to put up with them, but the majority of the business who make PC games have deemed them a necessity.

I suppose the question we're getting down to here is if the efforts to reduce theft for downloaded games are significantly more annoying than the efforts to reduce theft for games on disk.

Personally, I haven't found them to be more annoying, as I haven't yet downloaded a game and deleted it and then found that I couldn't download it again. Maybe I'll feel differently a few years down the road, but for now I'm pleased as punch to be able to download a game months before it's available on disk!

I would hazard a (somewhat educated) guess that about 70 percent of GameBoomers have broadband. This makes downloading an option for the vast majority of us, and I think that's why we're seeing more games offered as downloads.

We've worked at GameBoomers to support the developers and the publishers of PC adventure games because we want them to keep making and publishing games. It's disheartening to see adventure developers go out of business or switch over to making non-adventure console games (which don't seem to have nearly the same piracy problem).

Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Becky] #270011
01/28/08 12:03 PM
01/28/08 12:03 PM
L
LindaMarion Offline
Settled Boomer
LindaMarion  Offline
Settled Boomer
L

Easey answer
Just stop to buy the download games until the develpers decide to make there games exactly the same as the CDs

Same product same pri ce same conditons. whats the diifrence?

At least 2 well known indy develpers have reproted that there games were pirate just 3 or 4 days after they release.
Sevral big games were availble from pirates 2 or 3 weeks before they were on sale

After
The downloas should be a few $s cheaper not more diffcult they do not have boxes manuels postage etc

Last edited by LindaMarion; 01/28/08 12:09 PM.
Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: LindaMarion] #270023
01/28/08 12:27 PM
01/28/08 12:27 PM
Land of 10,000 Lakes
MrLipid Offline
Addicted Boomer
MrLipid  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Land of 10,000 Lakes
Anyone noticed how many previously download-only casual games are now shipping on CD?

For example, I think more than one of the MCF games has shown up on CD.

Which says to me if a game is popular enough, as measured by number of downloads, it will eventually show up on CD.

Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: MrLipid] #270034
01/28/08 01:03 PM
01/28/08 01:03 PM
McClure P.A. USA.
ron.etti Offline
Addicted Boomer
ron.etti  Offline
Addicted Boomer

McClure P.A. USA.
Back in early 2000 the rumor was the Adventure game was dead.
You could read it on some reviews how the games were not
being made.
We have talked about it here many times and all were glad
to see they were wrong.
Could this be the stake that is driven in the Adventure game
heart?
I can't get DSL where i live .Down loading games is not a
opinion for me.
But i have a lot of oldies but goodie to play so i am not to
concerned....

Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: ron.etti] #270046
01/28/08 01:22 PM
01/28/08 01:22 PM
Ca.
gaily Offline
Settled Boomer
gaily  Offline
Settled Boomer

Ca.
My two cents: I have played both, and I'll tell you what it boils down to for me. For $30. or more, I should be able to replay any game that I have purchased on my computer when I am in the mood to do so. With a disc I don't have games sitting around taking up space on my hard drive, slowing down my computer etc. With a download, I don't believe that you can re-install a game (nevermind the time it takes to download vs. install a game from disc)once you have uninstalled it. The game Cleopatra, (a huge game)springs to mind. But I am thrilled with the many terrific adventure games that are out there to choose from! I just finished Evil Under the Sun, and plan to get back to GITS. Whoo-hoo! thumbsup

gaily
Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Bernard] #270063
01/28/08 01:51 PM
01/28/08 01:51 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Bernard

Does this not apply to a lot of products particularly DVD/Video films & music CDs cassettes etc. You don't sign a lengthy agreement but most will state that they are copyright protected. So I think it is generally understood that although you might own the e.g DVD, CD with the film, music etc, the contents are not yours to use as you wish i.e you are restricted to personal use only & legally cannot copy, distribute or show/play in a public domain without seeking appropriate licenses to do so. To make a point though, once you've bought a film/music DVD/CD you are free to play it on any equipment & it's yours for life! Also I've bought music by download & have been able to burn it to disc which plays on a CD player.

My point is that license agreements on games should surely only refer to ownership of the content of the game rather than the game - if that makes sense! woozy In which case if you pay for a game via download it is yours & the publisher should ensure that you have the means to keep your purchase for life!

I can see the piracy problem with games that are ultimately going to be released on disc being available earlier by download, but the gamer does have the option to wait although I can see this is not going to be good news for the developer/publisher if no-one buys the download version to start with!

My main concern, as I know it is of a few other fellow GBers, is a possible trend towards games being available by download only.

As for pirated copies of games being available before their release - IMO this has got to be the work of someone involved in the production/testing of a game. smile

Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: chrissie] #270164
01/28/08 05:40 PM
01/28/08 05:40 PM
L
LindaMarion Offline
Settled Boomer
LindaMarion  Offline
Settled Boomer
L

My main concern, as I know it is of a few other fellow GBers, is a possible trend towards games being available by download only.

I agree 100 %
it is completly as unfair as the piratse
the big Co.s are not intrested in us players amd posts and emails dont help
they understand 1 thing profits and if peopl wont buy theyll stop there teribly bad practises

Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: LindaMarion] #270532
01/29/08 10:33 AM
01/29/08 10:33 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi smile

As my own final comment on this issue I would emphasise that I have always supported developers of adventure games and shown it by by spending some of my not very plentiful income on buying their games thumbsup

And of course I hope to continue to be able to support them - but if "purchase by download" ever becomes the only option, for whatever reason, I will be very sad AND sorely tested in my resolve yes

Cheers.

Mad wave

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Orion, oldbroad, manxman, curly, jboliver), 258 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users