GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Mad] #270583
01/29/08 12:10 PM
01/29/08 12:10 PM
PA, USA
M
misa Offline
Addicted Boomer
misa  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

PA, USA
I don't mind purchasing a download directly from a developer if they cannot find a North American distributor for the boxed version. I'd rather have access to a game I want to play rather than wait months to play it from a boxed version. Like others, I do mind if the installs are limited and whatnot. Having said that, I have purchased from Adventure Game Shop, directly from Kheops and Big Fish Games and will probably continue to purchase online downloads if the option is there (i.e., haven't boycotted).

I'm not sure if anyone's done some indepth analysis of the market and pirates but I don't think pirates are getting the games through online store downloads OR boxed retail releases. If the gaming industry is anything like the music industry, it's usually someone on the inside (at any stage of development, production, Q&A, pressing, distribution, etc.) who releases it to someone else and then gets put out on the internet. This happens in the music industry all the time since there are so many people involved in the final product.

Last edited by misa; 01/29/08 12:11 PM.
Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: misa] #270611
01/29/08 01:11 PM
01/29/08 01:11 PM
L
LindaMarion Offline
Settled Boomer
LindaMarion  Offline
Settled Boomer
L

I don't mind purchasing a download directly from a developer if they cannot find a North American distributor for the boxed version.
i do mind and alot

I have payed online many games from Indys and i get the whole caboodle - cd box or gemcase, manuel or on cd etc
I absolutly refuse to buy downloads with all sorts of strings
There are very plenty of fair games to buy and play. why should I support the u8nfair develpers

If the gaming industry is anything like the music industry, it's usually someone on the inside (at any stage of development, production, Q&A, pressing, distribution, etc.) who releases it to someone else and then gets put out on the internet.

exactly the same with games especally from big co's. they pass through very many hands and some are on the www before the game is releasd

Last edited by LindaMarion; 01/29/08 01:12 PM.
Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Mad] #270640
01/29/08 02:09 PM
01/29/08 02:09 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
I'm totally with you there Mad! I spend far more than I should on buying games new to support developers - I do prefer to buy disc versions but would also support the download option as well if I could burn the game to CD/DVD & install independantly on any system (a compatible one of course! lol) Otherwise I WILL boycott the games. The exception being if they turned up on BigFish - I would consider the full membership price of less than $7.00 per game a bargain price for 'rental'! smile

Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Becky] #270807
01/29/08 08:34 PM
01/29/08 08:34 PM
Brazil
Phoebe Offline
Addicted Boomer
Phoebe  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Brazil
I not like for game of download. What it happens if you must format your pc? And i love buy my game and keep with box and manual.
For other side the download games is a good for people who live in countries where adventures they are not published.
Here in the Italy, not all games they are published.
Maybe for these people it is good. But i prefer buy my game with box and manual and to keep in my collection

Last edited by Phoebe; 01/29/08 08:39 PM.

Yes,though i go through the valley of deep shade,i will have no fear of evil;for you are with me, your rod and your support are my comfort. Salmo23:4
Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Phoebe] #271044
01/30/08 10:52 AM
01/30/08 10:52 AM
Denmark, Europe
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer
Karsten  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Denmark, Europe
I would like to see the developers and publishers offering both download options and a cd or dvd version of the game. I would make it so that the download would be 5-10 US dollars cheaper than the cd or dvd version. I think this is necessary to pay for the extra shipping & handling etc. if you want a CD version of the game. Of course, if you decide to buy a downloadable version first, and then later on decided that you would like to get a cd or dvd version, you should only be paying the 5-10 US dollar extra for it.

This way, people who don't have an internet broadband conection can buy (adventure) games while people who want a cd or dvd version can get it, too.

Personally, I really like the feel of the dvd box in my hands, especially if the box is so tastefully done like the ones for Jade Empire:SE - as well as for The Witcher.

I'll always try to buy the dvd version of the game, so I, too, would be very sad frown if download became the only option for buying games, incl. adventure games.

/Karsten

Last edited by Karsten; 01/30/08 10:53 AM. Reason: layout

Adventure gaming is fun smile

Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: Becky] #271141
01/30/08 01:41 PM
01/30/08 01:41 PM
West Seattle, WA
ces Offline
Settled Boomer
ces  Offline
Settled Boomer

West Seattle, WA
I hate to say this, but I really believe that downloads are going to be the only available method of getting not only games but music, videos, books, etc. in the near future - especially since once the item is downloaded you can burn your own copy on a disk. Just last night I downloaded a screen shot program - $15 if you downloaded it, $35 if you wanted it on a disk - and you just get a disk too as this particular software doesn't come in a fancy box or even a jewel case - it just comes in a disk envelope. Even Prima only makes some of their strategy guides available via download - e.g. some Myst-related guides are downloadable only. And with the current feeling that using up global resources to make paper boxes - most of which end up in the landfill as LOTS of people don't even recycle - is wasteful, I think we'll see fewer and fewer of them.

Christine
Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: ces] #271152
01/30/08 02:07 PM
01/30/08 02:07 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Originally Posted By: ces
I hate to say this, but I really believe that downloads are going to be the only available method of getting not only games but music, videos, books, etc. in the near future - especially since once the item is downloaded you can burn your own copy on a disk.

Hi ces, I don't know how many of the previous posts you have read, but the contention with downloadable games at the mo is that if you burn them to disc you still need to connect to the originator's website to re-install them & you are not free to install them on a newer or different system!

Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: chrissie] #271210
01/30/08 04:13 PM
01/30/08 04:13 PM
Isle of Man
gremlin Offline
Addicted Boomer
gremlin  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Isle of Man
Originally Posted By: chrissie
but the contention with downloadable games at the mo is that if you burn them to disc you still need to connect to the originator's website to re-install them & you are not free to install them on a newer or different system!

That is a highly variable situation - not all downloaded games behave that way, it was raised as a specific comment on Kheops and the Adventure Shop:

Originally Posted By: oldmariner
Jenny both Kheops and the Adventure Shop told me via e-mail you have to be connected to their site each time you install the game. their server read the key/serial number to allow installation. And you can only install a game three times after that you need a new key.

That's not necessarily how all downloaded games work now, or will work in the future.

Gremlin

Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: ces] #271234
01/30/08 04:54 PM
01/30/08 04:54 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: ces
And with the current feeling that using up global resources to make paper boxes - most of which end up in the landfill as LOTS of people don't even recycle - is wasteful, I think we'll see fewer and fewer of them.

I don't buy that argument at all. The junk mail I get in my mailbox every day puts the piddling amount in a game box or manual to shame. Besides, what happens when you get a pdf manual on disc and no paper manual -- and you need to refer to the manual while playing the game? You end up printing out the pdf manual, and that takes MUCH more paper than a peeny little game manual.

Originally Posted By: gremlin

Originally Posted By: oldmariner
Jenny both Kheops and the Adventure Shop told me via e-mail you have to be connected to their site each time you install the game. their server read the key/serial number to allow installation. And you can only install a game three times after that you need a new key.

That's not necessarily how all downloaded games work now, or will work in the future.

Gremlin

Seems to be the most common way at present though.

Re: Downloads & The release of hard copy [Re: gremlin] #271246
01/30/08 05:17 PM
01/30/08 05:17 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Hi gremlin, if you have a list of downloadable Adventure Games that can be burnt to independant discs pleeeeease! let us know!!! smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Draclvr, 1 invisible), 232 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users