GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game #272138
02/01/08 05:51 PM
02/01/08 05:51 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline OP
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Last night I lost my internet in a storm and much to my dismay I discovered I was not able to play the game I was currently playing because it required the internet running. I can live with and have accepted the fact that many games have keys that have to be activated when you install a game, but I was naively blindsided to discover the game checks every time you start it. sad Is this what all games do with keys and I just don't know it since I am always connected?

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #272147
02/01/08 06:14 PM
02/01/08 06:14 PM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

No just some of them. Some require you are connected only to install the game. Both are unacceptable because the "seller" is determining how you can access what you paid for.

Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: oldmariner] #272160
02/01/08 06:48 PM
02/01/08 06:48 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
I'm with you oldmariner.

Some folks ran into this a few years ago when they took laptops out into the boonies and then discovered their brand new games would not play because they had no internet connection. sad

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: looney4labs] #272166
02/01/08 06:58 PM
02/01/08 06:58 PM
Rockford, Illinois
S
sierramindy Offline
Addicted Boomer
sierramindy  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Rockford, Illinois
What kind of games ae these? Are they games that are downloaded or come on CD/DVD or both? How can one know if a game needs the Internet to play?

To love is to be happy with!
Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: sierramindy] #272168
02/01/08 07:01 PM
02/01/08 07:01 PM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

I was referring to downloaded games. don't think they are doing that to boxed games.

Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: oldmariner] #272177
02/01/08 07:16 PM
02/01/08 07:16 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Steam games are like that, whether they come in a box or not. You need to be attached to the Internet to install them, and in some cases download additional files without which the game won't run. After the initial activation, you have to find out where to disable the updating or whenever you start the game it will try to connect to the Internet to look for game updates.

Whenever you buy a game, check the requirements to see if "Internet connection" is among them.

Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: Jenny100] #272215
02/01/08 08:31 PM
02/01/08 08:31 PM
L
LindaMarion Offline
Settled Boomer
LindaMarion  Offline
Settled Boomer
L

I repeat wht I said on the other thred
This behavior is completly immoral and in my opinion asbad as players pirating

I would urge evrybody to vote with there cash which is maybe the only thng these companys really pay attention to

Howevr much we want these sort of games dont buy trhem|.

Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: LindaMarion] #272272
02/01/08 10:56 PM
02/01/08 10:56 PM
Rockford, Illinois
S
sierramindy Offline
Addicted Boomer
sierramindy  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Rockford, Illinois
Thanks, oldmariner and Jenny100 for answering my questions! I do appreciate it.

To love is to be happy with!
Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: sierramindy] #272327
02/02/08 03:24 AM
02/02/08 03:24 AM
stoke on trent England
dragonuk44 Offline
Addicted Boomer
dragonuk44  Offline
Addicted Boomer

stoke on trent England
Is it hafe life done by steam good game but you have to be on the internet .

s wheeldon
Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: dragonuk44] #272568
02/02/08 02:46 PM
02/02/08 02:46 PM
Denmark, Europe
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer
Karsten  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Denmark, Europe
I know that at least for Bioshock (a dark side game) as well as Two Worlds (another dark side game) you need to have internet access to activate your game. Apparently cd-keys are not enough anymore for some publishers in order to avoid some people from pirating games (not a recommendation, though).

Some games, however, seem to be set up to check for updates every week or every month or so. There should, however, be an option to turn the 'update checking for new content off' somewhere in the options menu, I think. I know that online games, like Myst Online etc. usually check for updates since there's new content added some times.

Personally, my take on this is that it should be mentioned on the box that the game requires internet activation to install, or to play the game.

And yes, we can vote with our dollars and refuse to buy such games. I just don't think it will matter much since I foresee a future in which every game (excluding indie games) will require internet activation to either install or play.

/Karsten

Adventure gaming is fun smile

Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: Karsten] #272591
02/02/08 03:54 PM
02/02/08 03:54 PM
Kentucky, USA
acornia Offline
Addicted Boomer
acornia  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Kentucky, USA
Some games like Evidence are just designed that way. Only found out needed to be on the internet when started playing but looked on the box and under specs had internet connection listed.

Never resist a generous impulse.
Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: Karsten] #272597
02/02/08 04:03 PM
02/02/08 04:03 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Originally Posted By: Karsten
And yes, we can vote with our dollars and refuse to buy such games. I just don't think it will matter much since I foresee a future in which every game (excluding indie games) will require internet activation to either install or play.

/Karsten

If enough gamers did exactly that Karsten - vote with their dollars - it WOULD make a difference! It's all about money & if enough people boycotted download games that infringe on normal purchaser rights, the publishers would have to rethink.

This download only option with 'permission' will continue and/or take off as long as the majority of gamers, despite their grievance, accept the situation & buy the games!! sick

Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: Jenny100] #272612
02/02/08 04:29 PM
02/02/08 04:29 PM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Steam games are like that, whether they come in a box or not. You need to be attached to the Internet to install them, and in some cases download additional files without which the game won't run. After the initial activation, you have to find out where to disable the updating or whenever you start the game it will try to connect to the Internet to look for game updates.

Whenever you buy a game, check the requirements to see if "Internet connection" is among them.

Thanks Jenny I did not know that. I now know to avoid Stream.
Internet connection ok when and only when you are playing a game involving other players such as those massive online games. But an adventure game, I won't do it.

EDIT**** Karsten, what do you want to bet that method barely slows down the pirates? My guess that ploy won't work for long.

Last edited by oldmariner; 02/02/08 04:31 PM.
Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: oldmariner] #272632
02/02/08 05:11 PM
02/02/08 05:11 PM
L
LindaMarion Offline
Settled Boomer
LindaMarion  Offline
Settled Boomer
L

Chrissie
Quote:
If enough gamers did exactly that Karsten - vote with their dollars - it WOULD make a difference! It's all about money & if enough people boycotted download games that infringe on normal purchaser rights, the publishers would have to rethink.

This download only option with 'permission' will continue and/or take off as long as the majority of gamers, despite their grievance, accept the situation & buy the games!!

Here, here
ive been saying that all along
why dont we band togethr and just refuse to buy thse games
thay are not fair or moral just as we hate pirating

Pirates say they have to have the games but wont pay for them and we hate them they can do withoutt the games it wont hurt them
So can we do without those ugly games that shopuld be banned by law cos there reely ilegal in my opinion
Im sure that if everybdy stopped buying them the conpanys woud soon stop behaiving that way and charge a few dolars less because there less expensive without boxes and print manuels
But alow everybody to burn them on there own disks and use them just like ordinary games ^^^^^^^^^ why not?

Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: oldmariner] #272638
02/02/08 05:31 PM
02/02/08 05:31 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: oldmariner
Thanks Jenny I did not know that. I now know to avoid Stream.

It's Steam, not Stream. And shortly after it came out "Steam Emulators" were developed, which can fool the game into thinking it's connected via Steam.

Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: Jenny100] #272657
02/02/08 06:25 PM
02/02/08 06:25 PM
L
LindaMarion Offline
Settled Boomer
LindaMarion  Offline
Settled Boomer
L

when i buy a book or a movie or a tape itis mine to do what i want to with it. i can keep it use it whenevr i want give it to a friend swap it oer sell it. I maynot be abl to use use for commerial things but othrwise its mine
When i spend 30 or 40 dolars on a game i ought to have the same priviliges ^^^^^^^ why not
Iwont buy it if the co. tells me i cant do this and i cant do that and i can only play it under there conditons
I just wont buy it and if enouhg people do the same im sure the co.s will learn they must to be reasonabl

Somebody said they think soon all games wil be download and wityh same restrictons
I hope to godnes not or I wil have to stop playing adventurs because i certenly wont buy them unde the unfair rules mentioned here above

Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: LindaMarion] #272661
02/02/08 06:56 PM
02/02/08 06:56 PM
Denmark, Europe
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer
Karsten  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Denmark, Europe
I agree that the pirates don't seem to care - at all (still not a recommendation, though). Both Bioshock etc. were 'ehm' cough - hacked within hours of the initial release (still not a recommendation!)

I said that I belived that all games (except for indie games) would made this way. I didn't say that I liked it. I don't.

In Bioshock's case people were in uproar over this --- and Take 2 did take notice of this. Especially since the activation codes and the support phone numbers did not work properly - at all.

They also had forgotten to write on the box that you only got two installs or activations before you had to ask for a new cd-key. I think they meant well. I think they wanted people to be able to install it on both their laptop as well as their usual desktop computer. But they did raise a storm within the Bioshock community - which caused take Take 2 to extend the activation limit to 5 installs and made a revoke tool for these installations. Many people were also threathening to not buy Take 2's products anymore. Apparently that was enough.

I also pointed firmly, but fairly that the not mentioning on the two installs either on the box nor or in the games documentatation (the manual) might be slightly il-legal, at least in the EU, or in Denmark. People also were threathening to call consumer rights groups into action.

This happened simply because many people did not succeed with their activation. And sometimes un-installing and installing a game helps with this. And you have to do it this way --- you just can't install Bioshock on top of the old game again - it then counts as one of your five activations. That didn't seem to help either, so people were very mad...

Several people also mentioned that they bought this game legally, and couldn't even play the game, while some jerk (yes jerk!) who just pirated the game (still not a recommendation!) were able to play the game.

The point is this: The mere threat of 1) not buying Take 2 games anywhere and 2) threathening to call in the Consumers' Rights Groups seem to convince Take 2 to take action, thus making the correct decision.

So yes, in a sense we voted with our dollars.

I hope that this will tell other publishers not to do what Take 2 did with Bioshock, making people connect to the internet - just to get the game's .exe file downloaded from Take 2's server.
Especially since there is no gurantee that Take 2 will be here 10 or 20 years from now. However, Ken Levine said that a later date, they will remove the internet requirement for activation.

I don't know any adventure games (as of yet) that do require you to be connected to the internet just to activate or to install the game - unless Evidence (or Missing), but since they are sort of on-line games as well, as you will get clues from varius sites on the internet etc I don't really think they should be counted amongst the games that does this -ehm- activation thingy.

The big thing is that digital medias like movies, games and perhaps digital books as well seem to be all about licensing e.g. you pay say 60 US dollars for a game, and then you only get to use it under the terms of the license. Let's not forgot that most games are licensed to you, not sold. (and why this is so,need to subject to another discussion on another forum for another day).

I use 'steam' and is very happy with this. Steam allows you to burn you downloaded games to a disc, you can also re-download the games as many times as you need etc. etc.

/Karsten

Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: Karsten] #272687
02/02/08 07:53 PM
02/02/08 07:53 PM
L
LindaMarion Offline
Settled Boomer
LindaMarion  Offline
Settled Boomer
L

I am told and I know my English is bad and Im getting help correcting now before posts.

Karsten
Quote:
I agree that the pirates don't seem to care - at all (still not a recommendation, though). Both Bioshock etc. were 'ehm' cough - hacked within hours of the initial release (still not a recommendation!)

I have played very many adventures but never a downloded one - except 2 issues of SamnMax. I dont know what Bioshock is.

But if you say it was - "hacked within hours of the initial release" what is the point of all the terible restrictions which i completely object to buying?
Quote:
I said that I belived that all games (except for indie games) would made this way. I didn't say that I liked it. I don't.

ok. if they can be downloaded burnt at home and then used like my usual boxd games thats fine especial if they are a bit cheaper.
But i feel we should stand sholder to sholder and protest against imoral practises by some developers or publishrers which horribly restrict our rights as purchasers of things which are expensive and should be ours not theirs.

What when my server is down? What when I go out of town with my laptop or on a plane and want to play. What when I reformat my computer or have a crash or update or who knows?
its enough headache already, i don't need more to play a game ive spent 40$ buying.
Why cant we band together and stop it by not buying?

Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: LindaMarion] #272714
02/02/08 09:03 PM
02/02/08 09:03 PM
In the Naughty Corner
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Sorry, didn't mean to start a boycott or anything close to it, I was just rather taken aback that I could not play the game. I never really gave any thought to the fact that my internet being down would interfere in my play time. I did find out you could request a special code from the developer that would enable you to play with no internet, but it needs to be done before you disconnect the internet. At least they offer a way to disable the checking each time.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: Jenny100] #272924
02/03/08 10:57 AM
02/03/08 10:57 AM
PA, USA
M
misa Offline
Addicted Boomer
misa  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

PA, USA
I think for those of you who are boycotting the games being discussed (e.g. limited activations, connection to internet, etc.), it's important for you to tell the developers and distributors why you're boycotting. By not informing them of your reasons for boycotting, they'll never know what is affecting their sales.

Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: misa] #272935
02/03/08 11:11 AM
02/03/08 11:11 AM
In the Naughty Corner
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
I agree misa, this isn't the place to do that and writing the developers and publishers is the only way to make any difference.
I did contact the developer and in my case discovered there is a workaround for it. It was just that it was a bit late, since now my internet is up and running. lol

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #272956
02/03/08 11:33 AM
02/03/08 11:33 AM
Denmark, Europe
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer
Karsten  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Denmark, Europe
Bioshock is game made by Ken Levine that tells a story about an underwater city which were formed to make one man's ideal way back in 1958 (or so). And now has gone to pieces.

The point was not to discuss Bioshock, but rather to discuss internet activations etc.

I agree that the pirates don't seem to care at all (still not a recommendation!) and I know that within hours or 1-2 days people did pirate Bioshock. (still not a recommendation!)

The point I was trying to make was also this:

I know that hardcore gamers like ourself here at gameboomer, adventuregamers etc. and possibly also at rpgwatch and on the bioware forums care alot about these things. However, to 80-90% of the gamers these days, often refers to as the casual gamers, they really don't care. They just want to play the game, then leave it, and then play another game. (many of then anyway...).

If they need to have the internet running to install or to play the game, they don't care. (at least that how I see it). The point I was trying to make was also that the mere threat of consumers (gamers) not buying anymore games (products) from
Take 2 (the publishers of Bioshock) was enough to make Take 2
think again about the activations etc.

I also hope that one day we will decide with our dollars and band together, but just now it does look rather bleak,
(or black), I fear.

/Karsten

Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: Karsten] #272998
02/03/08 12:24 PM
02/03/08 12:24 PM
L
LindaMarion Offline
Settled Boomer
LindaMarion  Offline
Settled Boomer
L

Karsten
i hope i didnt give the impresion that i was criticisng you o, or anydody else ^^^^ exept the develpers who download there games and impose very unfair conditons. on the opposite i greatly thank you all.

i don't know anythng about bioshock since i never download and i relise that was only example.

I agree we should inform those develpers and there publishrs as well as not buy.
If all adventures change to there system ill have to stop with new games completely and maybe others to which would be a great pity. i have so many new ones still in boxs will keep me going for as long time and aftr that will have to replay very many best oldies.

Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: misa] #273023
02/03/08 01:11 PM
02/03/08 01:11 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
misa, BrownEyedTigre - I think it's a very good idea to let developers/publishers/distributers know why you won't buy their game. At the same time if I was involved in any of these roles & a game wasn't selling I would be scrutinising game forums to find out why! My point being if you're not selling your product you are going to try & find out what the problem is! smile

Re: Requiring Internet Connection to Start your Game [Re: Karsten] #273038
02/03/08 01:37 PM
02/03/08 01:37 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Karsten
Bioshock is game made by Ken Levine that tells a story about an underwater city which were formed to make one man's ideal way back in 1958 (or so). And now has gone to pieces.

Gee, that sounds a lot like Ultima Underworld, only without the fantasy environment.

Originally Posted By: LindaMarion
i don't know anythng about bioshock since i never download and i relise that was only example.

Bioshock comes in a box.
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=646647

Note what Gamestop lists under System Requirements:
Quote:
**Important Note: Game requires Internet connection for activation**

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (curly, oldbroad), 355 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users