GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced #273664
02/04/08 03:51 PM
02/04/08 03:51 PM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline OP
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline OP
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: Becky] #273701
02/04/08 04:59 PM
02/04/08 04:59 PM
Manchester U.K.
lor Offline
Settled Boomer
lor  Offline
Settled Boomer

Manchester U.K.
I cannot believe this is happening again, I am devastated.

lor

Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: lor] #273712
02/04/08 05:24 PM
02/04/08 05:24 PM
Becky Offline OP
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline OP
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

pacify

Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: Becky] #273762
02/04/08 07:03 PM
02/04/08 07:03 PM
Northern California
Renee Offline
Settled Boomer
Renee  Offline
Settled Boomer

Northern California
cry

It was a blast while it lasted....oh now I'm really bummed....

Everyone has a photographic memory...some just don't have film.
Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: Renee] #273768
02/04/08 07:12 PM
02/04/08 07:12 PM
Ohio
Dudemom_2000 Offline
Settled Boomer
Dudemom_2000  Offline
Settled Boomer

Ohio
I just really don't know what to say. Probably still in shock a bit, though I can't say I am suprised. The gaming world is hard and MOUL was not able to meet the fan base that was wanted. That along with the costs of developing and running the game and I am sure the current economic climate didn't help matters. (Also MOUL not being a hack/slash game - isn't it wierd that non-violent games just aren't as popular?)

As Renee said it was a blast while it lasted (though it's not gone quite yet - they have given it 60 days before shutdown)

Greydragon did say in Uru Obession hood that they were still talking with GameTap but was not able to tell us if there would be the possibility of Shards like before. If they are unable to even provide that, I am going to miss the many wonderful friends I have made in the Cavern and for that alone, I am devestated.

Dudemom_2000

*****\(@@)/*****

"Face it, I'm older and I have more insurance!" Evelyn Couch 'Fried Green Tomatoes'
Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: Becky] #273841
02/04/08 09:04 PM
02/04/08 09:04 PM
Northwestern New Mexico, USA
Jenny Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Jenny  Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Sonic Boomer

I'm devastated too, and I was never able to get UL running!! But I kept hoping that since I had no problem with UU, something would change. Guess I'll be one of the apparently many people who are dropping their GameTap subscriptions, because UL was the only reason they joined.

What I'm wondering now is whether there is any chance someone will start up UU again--or was that just a desperation measure to try and get someone to give UL another chance? And even more important, I wonder if there is any chance that Cyan could release the new material from this past year in CD form, as they did with POTS--I would definitely be a customer for that!!

Someone over at GT discussion forum made the comment that the original version of UL was also dropped on February 4--what a disaster day for Uru fans...cry

"Once you give up integrity, the rest is easy." Anonymous
Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: Jenny] #273985
02/05/08 01:53 AM
02/05/08 01:53 AM
PolloDiablo Offline
Settled Boomer
PolloDiablo  Offline
Settled Boomer

I only played MOUL a couple of times when they offered a free trial (beta) to us Europeans, but never suscribed because I never encountered any people to do the group quests with. Since MOUL was the only game offered to Europeans through GameTap, and we had no access to any of the other games, the suscription fee just didn't feel worth it to me.

I sometimes read the comments in the MOUL thread here and it did sound like you were having a great time. I kept looking forward to the day they would offer more games to make the suscription fee better value for money (e.g. Sam and Max) so I could join in and try again. Sadly, this day will now never come.

I'll be back, one day, when I feel like it.
Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: PolloDiablo] #274088
02/05/08 09:05 AM
02/05/08 09:05 AM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

I am sorry for all of you MOUL followers. Maybe the rainbow ill shine and things will be better. Hugs.

Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: Jenny] #274129
02/05/08 10:51 AM
02/05/08 10:51 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Jenny
What I'm wondering now is whether there is any chance someone will start up UU again--or was that just a desperation measure to try and get someone to give UL another chance? And even more important, I wonder if there is any chance that Cyan could release the new material from this past year in CD form, as they did with POTS--I would definitely be a customer for that!!

I'd like that too. I think they'd have to alter some of the puzzles so they could be solved by a single player, but hopefully doing that wouldn't be too involved.

I've been too busy to play any game regularly for over a year and a half so I never signed up for Gametap. Since I don't expect to have enough free time to play before the summer, it looks like I'll never be able to play it unless it comes out on CD (or DVD).

Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: Jenny100] #274131
02/05/08 10:55 AM
02/05/08 10:55 AM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
I wonder if the puzzles that could only be solved by multiplayers had anything to do with not getting sufficient numbers of players to keep it going.

Soot and I had an advantage as we sit side by side, but I know from experience that those puzzles could be very frustrating.

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: looney4labs] #274143
02/05/08 11:24 AM
02/05/08 11:24 AM
Georgia
mikeplay Offline
Settled Boomer
mikeplay  Offline
Settled Boomer

Georgia
It was a sad day when I found out that MOUL would not be continued after april hopefully they will give us back UU so we can still run in the cavern with our friends.

I intend to live forever......so far, so good.
Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: Becky] #274375
02/05/08 07:17 PM
02/05/08 07:17 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Celtic Lark Offline
Settled Boomer
Celtic Lark  Offline
Settled Boomer

Los Angeles, CA
I am so sad but not surprised. The choir has started talking about getting ready for our next concert and now I have no idea if that is going to go anywhere or not. I hope so and we can at least broadcast it somewhere.

I'm keeping my subscription until the 60 days are up. There are plans afoot to make the St. Patrick's Day celebration our last big hurrah and I don't want to miss that.

Man, this just stinks. cry

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

URU KI #03564317
Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: Celtic Lark] #274877
02/06/08 04:56 PM
02/06/08 04:56 PM
Hiding Under a Rock
gamenut Offline
Addicted Boomer
gamenut  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Hiding Under a Rock
PolloDiablo...i was not a really 'smart' player but i would have done quests w/you!! And i am sure others in the gameboomers would have too!! If we had known your screen name in the game! I am sad no more MOUL, but i am not going to get the 'add on' if they do it for single player (like POTS) because to me there really wasn't anything outstanding about Minkata, or the Pods or Jalek..the 2 extra Eders were interesting because of the group effort but just not enough to keep me interested. I think is a shame the game is apparently 'folding'. I just would really, really, like to know the real reason!

Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: mikeplay] #274882
02/06/08 04:59 PM
02/06/08 04:59 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Celtic Lark Offline
Settled Boomer
Celtic Lark  Offline
Settled Boomer

Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By: mikeplay
...hopefully they will give us back UU so we can still run in the cavern with our friends.

What is UU? I keep hearing about that on the various forums.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

URU KI #03564317
Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: Celtic Lark] #274900
02/06/08 05:50 PM
02/06/08 05:50 PM
Haunting Mystery Manor in Texa...
Ti'chelle Offline
Shy Boomer
Ti'chelle  Offline
Shy Boomer

Haunting Mystery Manor in Texa...
Hey y'all,

I was wondering how the Boomers were feeling about this.

Celtic Lark, UU stands for Until Uru. After Prologue shut down Cyan came up with a way for us to continue to play. UU was the code given out to a few people who were willing to run their own servers. These were called shards. Cyan retained control. A person bought a Kagi key to get authorized to join. You could play on any shard. Many of us played on all the shards. There was no new content, but we made up our own parties and quests, etc.

It was a lot of fun back then.

Many of us knew it was just a chance that this game might make it on GameTap. After all, we are a specialized group. Not like the mainstream gamers. But it has been fun!

Ti'chelle in the UruObsession hood #82951

Last edited by Ti'chelle; 02/06/08 05:53 PM. Reason: addition

To see a world in a grain of sand, and Heaven in a wild flower,hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour. William Blake
Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: Ti'chelle] #275036
02/07/08 04:30 AM
02/07/08 04:30 AM
PolloDiablo Offline
Settled Boomer
PolloDiablo  Offline
Settled Boomer

Gamenut, it was because of the time difference that I couldn't find anyone, not because the people themselves weren't willing to help out. I did visit the GameBoomers neighbourhood a couple of times but because I am in Europe and most GameBoomers (and most MOUL-players, I think?) are from the United States I never met more than two or three people at the same time. As far as I know the multiplayer puzzles required about eight?

The few times I did visit I did enjoy and as I said I would have joined if more games had been added to the European GameTap line up. The fee was, in my opinion, too much for MOUL alone.

I'll be back, one day, when I feel like it.
Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: PolloDiablo] #275183
02/07/08 12:44 PM
02/07/08 12:44 PM
virginia
K
KateVa Offline
Settled Boomer
KateVa  Offline
Settled Boomer
K

virginia
So, for the first time in my RV I have a fast enough connection to go online...as of 20 minutes ago. and...

Words can't describe how devastated I feel. sick

This is sorta like the MasterCard ad: I could list all the stuff I have bought or rented to be online for this best game of all, and yet the priceless bottomline eludes me...

Kate

Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: KateVa] #275262
02/07/08 03:19 PM
02/07/08 03:19 PM
Jenny Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Jenny  Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Sonic Boomer

I was thinking of you, Kate, when I saw the announcement. cry

Who would we contact to find out if there is any chance for:

1. New content issued on CD

2. Return of UU

I would think that there's probably more chance of #2 coming to pass--the puzzles that required more than one person would have to be reworked for a CD to be issued....

Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: Jenny] #275521
02/08/08 07:44 AM
02/08/08 07:44 AM
virginia
K
KateVa Offline
Settled Boomer
KateVa  Offline
Settled Boomer
K

virginia
Well, I suppose it ain't over til the fat lady sings...and since MOUL will continue for another two months with GameTap we probably will hear nothing but speculation until then, Jenny.

Here is the link to the Spokane paper. Rand is obviously thinking about UU.
SpokesmanReview

I will keep up my hopes!

Kate

Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: KateVa] #275593
02/08/08 10:21 AM
02/08/08 10:21 AM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
thanks for the link wave

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: looney4labs] #275675
02/08/08 01:13 PM
02/08/08 01:13 PM
hunched over my computer
wysewomon Offline
Addicted Boomer
wysewomon  Offline
Addicted Boomer

hunched over my computer
I stopped playing regularly about the time all the tasks that necessitated more than one player came up. I like the option of doing things on my own or not, as the mood takes me. But I still think that it's a shame that UL is shutting down.

WW

"So then he says it's enough to take aim! What's that supposed to mean?!?"

Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: wysewomon] #275721
02/08/08 03:16 PM
02/08/08 03:16 PM
Jenny Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Jenny  Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Sonic Boomer

Thanks for the link to Rand's interview, Kate--I'm aware that nothing is probably going to be said before the 60 day close-down period is over, but Rand's statement gives me a little hope that some form of UU will open up...

Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: wysewomon] #275738
02/08/08 03:52 PM
02/08/08 03:52 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: wysewomon
I stopped playing regularly about the time all the tasks that necessitated more than one player came up. I like the option of doing things on my own or not, as the mood takes me. But I still think that it's a shame that UL is shutting down.

WW

I completely agree. I don't like having to worry about other peoples' schedules. It's hard enough to fit game time into my own schedule. I also agree with ***Tabacco's comment***
Quote:
Uru had a lot of logistical and technical issues that I don't think were ever fixed, sadly, and that detracted from the experience. The worst part was that because the story arc happened in realtime (often during the workday) and wasn't replayable, I had to resort to reading about it on forums and blogs, which made me kind of wonder what the point was to a story I couldn't experience firsthand.

I'd hate for it to be gone forever though. From KateVa's link:
Quote:
"We are figuring out our employee situation and the possibility of running Uru servers ourselves," Miller wrote in an e-mail.

I would think they'd also have volunteers from their fanbase when it came to running servers.

Also from KateVa's link:
Quote:
Ricardo Sanchez, a GameTap vice president, posted an online message saying, "despite the great Myst Online experience coming to a close, Cyan is still a very valued partner of GameTap, we are on excellent terms and we look forward to continuing our relationship in the future."

So is GameTap planning to have Cyan make a different game for them? Or are they talking about that quality control and testing group mentioned at the end of the article?

Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: Jenny100] #275777
02/08/08 05:24 PM
02/08/08 05:24 PM
Becky Offline OP
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline OP
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Jenny100 -- the situation isn't clear yet. Having Cyan create a new, original game that's published by GameTap would be wonderful, but I'm not sure that's exactly what Sanchez meant. Hmmm. Though I think GameTap already has all of Cyan's games in among their offerings already -- so a "continuing relationship" couldn't mean an old game -- it would have to mean a new game.

Wouldn't it?

Maybe all those Cyan fans who were maintaining GameTap memberships just to support Cyan shouldn't pull the plug just yet. laugh

Re: Myst Online: Uru Live Status Just Announced [Re: looney4labs] #275912
02/08/08 10:02 PM
02/08/08 10:02 PM
Ohio
Dudemom_2000 Offline
Settled Boomer
Dudemom_2000  Offline
Settled Boomer

Ohio
Unfortunately this article sort of says it all....

Here

I think the writing is on the wall here as much as it pains me to say it.... It has been a fabulous year and I am glad we had the chance.

A lot of people are heading over to Second Life where there is a good sized Uru Community. Some of the groups have grown substantially over the last couple of days, I have noticed as more "refugees" are coming in. I started checking it out this week and finally joined and was able to meet up with a lot of people I know. It has made it easier to bear the pain of losing Uru, knowing I can still stay in contact with friends and we can make our own enclave and lifestyle in another place. It will never be Uru, of course and I will treasure what I have experienced and all the wonderful friends I made there.

Anyone who makes it over to Second Life I am DMom2K Darwin and feel free to look me up.

Dudemom_2000

*****\(@@)/*****

"Face it, I'm older and I have more insurance!" Evelyn Couch 'Fried Green Tomatoes'
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 256 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users