GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
The Adventure Shop Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#277681 - 02/12/08 10:00 AM Original or Sequel ??
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi smile

A sequel to an original game can sometimes turn out to be even more popular than the original - or sometimes, of course, absolutely not !! eek

I usually tend to like the original game the most myself but for me there is one exception .... in the Monkey Island series .... where there have been four games ....

I really enjoyed the first one - Secret of Monkey Island but felt the second - LeChuck's Revenge - was the series winner.
A true mind boggle of a game lol

Then came - Curse of Monkey Island - for me the beginning of a decline and lastly - Escape from Monkey Island - which I found truly disappointing sad

It would be interesting to hear from others which of a series was a favourite ??

Cheers.

Mad wave

#277685 - 02/12/08 10:13 AM Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Mad]
Darleen03 Offline
Adept Boomer

Loc: Northeast NJ
Hi Mad...

For me it was the first two..

I agree escape was the pitts for me also...I think because of the interface...The keyboard was used in escape. I just couldn't get things to work properly.. so I didn't play it after about an hour.. frown

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"

#277702 - 02/12/08 10:59 AM Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Darleen03]
Volkana Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Greece
Well, Syberia's sequel was really nice and CSI except the last one. Does Still Life count as a sequel to Post Mortem? If so i liked that too. I liked all Monkey Island games especially The Curse of Monkey Island... smile

Edited by Volkana (02/12/08 11:00 AM)

#277715 - 02/12/08 11:14 AM Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Volkana]
Phoebe Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Brazil
Hey Mad!

I like very much for series Tex Murphy the 3 last games of series are much better that first(Tex Murphy: Mean Streets), and second(Tex Murphy: Martian Memorandum)my fav is The Directive Pandora.
I also liked very much of Syberia series. And about Monkey Island, my fav is The Curse of Monkey Island and i think very weak compare with antecedent Escape from Monkey Island.

#277733 - 02/12/08 11:46 AM Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Phoebe]
Volkana Offline
Addicted Boomer

I think Phoebe it's because of the poor 3d comparing with the cartoonist style of the Curse. Not to mention the movement. smile

#277784 - 02/12/08 01:31 PM Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Volkana]
Phoebe Offline
Addicted Boomer

Volkana i agree with you, the interface is very confused and the control for keyboard and mouse is very boring.

Edited by Phoebe (02/12/08 01:34 PM)

#277786 - 02/12/08 01:32 PM Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Volkana]
Rushes Offline
The Three Pipe Moderator
True Blue Boomer

Loc: UK
I loved Curse of Monkey Island. I was SO disappointed when I bought Escape from M.I. and discovered that it was keyboard controlled. The controls were absolutely lousy. I didn't get very far with it.

It's hard to choose between the Syberias, they are equally wonderful.

I much prefer the later Nancy Drews (from #6 onwards) to the earlier games in the series.

I guess if you tied me down and poked me incessantly with sharp sticks I'd admit that I preferred the original TLJ to Dreamfall. It's a close call, mind you. grin

#277808 - 02/12/08 02:02 PM Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Mad]
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: london uk
Hi Mad, I played the 3rd Gabriel Knight first & have since played 2 & 3. They all have great stories but so differently presented - I think I favour the original because despite the awful graphics & dated gameplay I got so absorbed & really loved it!

It's so long ago I played the Monkey Island series - but although I enjoyed the 4th one I preferred the style of the earlier ones!

Another series I really liked was Broken Sword & although I enjoyed 3 & 4, didn't feel they had quite the charm of the 1st two!

The 2 Dracula games Last Sanctuary & Final Resurresction I thought were on a par with each other. I also thought that of the Siberia games.

The only game series I can think of where I thought the sequels surpassed the original was Discworld 2 & Noir!

And more recently, I loved the two Last Half of Darkness games, & the Carol Reed Mysteries especially Time Stand Still which is the 3rd one! smile

#277832 - 02/12/08 03:03 PM Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: chrissie]
ron.etti Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: McClure P.A. USA.
RIVEN I liked Myst but Riven was a much better game.

#277851 - 02/12/08 03:22 PM Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: ron.etti]
Phoebe Offline
Addicted Boomer

Ohh is true ron, how i forgot of series Myst??I love hearts
Is very dificult talk about series Myst because all games is perfect.

But i must to said that have one game for series that it is a little little weak in comparison with other games of series
Myst V: End of Ages one thing that i not like was the controls with keyboard and the end is very disappointed.

#277873 - 02/12/08 04:05 PM Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Phoebe]
orchgamer Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Berkeley, CA
I will add my two cents:

I loved all of the Monkey Island games, especially Escape (someone has to be a fan... woozy ). I thought the sushi restaurant puzzle and the diving puzzles were just great. Even the fighting was fun to solve (at least on paper). The controls were difficult so I do understand others dislike for the game. On the other hand, I was very disappointed with Syberia 2. Despite the excellent graphics, and artistry of the drawings, the story line and horribly disappointing ending leaves that game for me off my best list.

I thought Myst III was the best and URU a disappointment (although IV, and V are in my "to play" pile, and I thought the 2nd and 3rd Gabriel Knights were better than the first.

Can I add 11th Hour as better than 7th Guest too? I found the films unbelievably bad to the point of hilarious and entertaining, and the really difficult puzzles to be perfect for a gamer like me.

#277894 - 02/12/08 04:48 PM Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: orchgamer]
Volkana Offline
Addicted Boomer

Well Myst series is a good sequel for this specific kind of adventure games. I really don't like myst games. I have totally forgot Broken Sword (thanks chrissie for reminding me). How could i do that? It's one of my favorites... smile
I agree with chrissie though about the first two games of this sequel...

Edited by Volkana (02/12/08 04:50 PM)

#277913 - 02/12/08 05:35 PM Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Volkana]
PMcOuntry Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
My favorite adventure games of all time thus far are still Syberia and Syberia II, I liked the 2nd one better than the 1st but not by much!

Yes, Still life IS a sequel to Post Mortem as far as I'm concerned although I haven't played them yet.

I have a shelf full of games (14, only 1 is not an adventure game) that I have not played and of course a wish list of at least another 15 most of which have not come to the USA yet. I suspect my adventure gaming will take place during the summer when I have off between Spring/Fall college terms! Meanwhile, I squirrel away my games and play casual games or my MMORPG between studying.

I think I got off track there...

#278100 - 02/13/08 03:54 AM Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: PMcOuntry]
Kaki's Sister Offline
Graduate Boomer

Loc: Marlborough USA
I would like to add the Tomb Raider series to the list even though it is an action series there is a whole lot of adventure in every game. But I think the early games in the series were better.

#292562 - 03/11/08 09:16 PM Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Kaki's Sister]
Jehane Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Vienna, Austria
Haven't played many series and not all installments of a series but here goes.. smile
My all-time favourite game is GK 3, and it's also my favourite game in the series, GK 2 running a very, very close second. Broken Sword has already been mentioned; the first game in the series is, to me, the best of the four, with the Smoking Mirror and the Angel of Death on 2nd and 3rd place. Sleeping Dragon I found to be the weakest game in the series for various reasons (controls, stealth/action sequences, crates).

As for Monkey Island, I've only completed the original MI and Curse of MI; I liked the latter better but couldn't really put my finger on it why this is the case. Still have to complete LeChuck's Revenge and am still hesitating whether to by Escape from MI or not. The controls are a major put-off (I just don't like keyboard/gamepad controls), and the graphics look weird to me. Usually I don't care much for graphics even though I do enjoy good artwork; but in this case, they just look strange. Don't know if I could look at them for hours while playing the game smile

As for other series, I've played Dracula: Resurrection and liked it a lot. The Last Sanctuary still sits on my shelf, waiting to be played. From what I've seen so far, it's a lot gloomier than its predecessor, and it has action sequences (kind of) which makes it more intense than Resurrection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
10 registered (Pandora, Koala, BrownEyedTigre, Sherlock, Gimme, stevefox, scampy, Draclvr, Rowan, Collector), 71 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Newest Members
RibaSoma, Gey, Moonbat, kooker1957, ctillis
8497 Registered Users