GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Original or Sequel ?? #277681
02/12/08 11:00 AM
02/12/08 11:00 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi smile

A sequel to an original game can sometimes turn out to be even more popular than the original - or sometimes, of course, absolutely not !! eek

I usually tend to like the original game the most myself but for me there is one exception .... in the Monkey Island series .... where there have been four games ....

I really enjoyed the first one - Secret of Monkey Island but felt the second - LeChuck's Revenge - was the series winner.
A true mind boggle of a game lol

Then came - Curse of Monkey Island - for me the beginning of a decline and lastly - Escape from Monkey Island - which I found truly disappointing sad

It would be interesting to hear from others which of a series was a favourite ??

Cheers.

Mad wave

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Mad] #277685
02/12/08 11:13 AM
02/12/08 11:13 AM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
Hi Mad...

For me it was the first two..

I agree escape was the pitts for me also...I think because of the interface...The keyboard was used in escape. I just couldn't get things to work properly.. so I didn't play it after about an hour.. frown

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"
Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Darleen03] #277702
02/12/08 11:59 AM
02/12/08 11:59 AM
Greece
Volkana Offline
Addicted Boomer
Volkana  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Greece
Well, Syberia's sequel was really nice and CSI except the last one. Does Still Life count as a sequel to Post Mortem? If so i liked that too. I liked all Monkey Island games especially The Curse of Monkey Island... smile

Last edited by Volkana; 02/12/08 12:00 PM.

Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Volkana] #277715
02/12/08 12:14 PM
02/12/08 12:14 PM
Brazil
Phoebe Offline
Addicted Boomer
Phoebe  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Brazil
Hey Mad!

I like very much for series Tex Murphy the 3 last games of series are much better that first(Tex Murphy: Mean Streets), and second(Tex Murphy: Martian Memorandum)my fav is The Directive Pandora.
I also liked very much of Syberia series. And about Monkey Island, my fav is The Curse of Monkey Island and i think very weak compare with antecedent Escape from Monkey Island.

Yes,though i go through the valley of deep shade,i will have no fear of evil;for you are with me, your rod and your support are my comfort. Salmo23:4
Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Phoebe] #277733
02/12/08 12:46 PM
02/12/08 12:46 PM
Greece
Volkana Offline
Addicted Boomer
Volkana  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Greece
I think Phoebe it's because of the poor 3d comparing with the cartoonist style of the Curse. Not to mention the movement. smile

Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Volkana] #277784
02/12/08 02:31 PM
02/12/08 02:31 PM
Brazil
Phoebe Offline
Addicted Boomer
Phoebe  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Brazil
Volkana i agree with you, the interface is very confused and the control for keyboard and mouse is very boring.

Last edited by Phoebe; 02/12/08 02:34 PM.

Yes,though i go through the valley of deep shade,i will have no fear of evil;for you are with me, your rod and your support are my comfort. Salmo23:4
Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Volkana] #277786
02/12/08 02:32 PM
02/12/08 02:32 PM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
I loved Curse of Monkey Island. I was SO disappointed when I bought Escape from M.I. and discovered that it was keyboard controlled. The controls were absolutely lousy. I didn't get very far with it.

It's hard to choose between the Syberias, they are equally wonderful.

I much prefer the later Nancy Drews (from #6 onwards) to the earlier games in the series.

I guess if you tied me down and poked me incessantly with sharp sticks I'd admit that I preferred the original TLJ to Dreamfall. It's a close call, mind you. grin

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Mad] #277808
02/12/08 03:02 PM
02/12/08 03:02 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Hi Mad, I played the 3rd Gabriel Knight first & have since played 2 & 3. They all have great stories but so differently presented - I think I favour the original because despite the awful graphics & dated gameplay I got so absorbed & really loved it!

It's so long ago I played the Monkey Island series - but although I enjoyed the 4th one I preferred the style of the earlier ones!

Another series I really liked was Broken Sword & although I enjoyed 3 & 4, didn't feel they had quite the charm of the 1st two!

The 2 Dracula games Last Sanctuary & Final Resurresction I thought were on a par with each other. I also thought that of the Siberia games.

The only game series I can think of where I thought the sequels surpassed the original was Discworld 2 & Noir!

And more recently, I loved the two Last Half of Darkness games, & the Carol Reed Mysteries especially Time Stand Still which is the 3rd one! smile

Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: chrissie] #277832
02/12/08 04:03 PM
02/12/08 04:03 PM
McClure P.A. USA.
ron.etti Offline
Addicted Boomer
ron.etti  Offline
Addicted Boomer

McClure P.A. USA.
RIVEN I liked Myst but Riven was a much better game.

Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: ron.etti] #277851
02/12/08 04:22 PM
02/12/08 04:22 PM
Brazil
Phoebe Offline
Addicted Boomer
Phoebe  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Brazil
Ohh is true ron, how i forgot of series Myst??I love hearts
Is very dificult talk about series Myst because all games is perfect.

But i must to said that have one game for series that it is a little little weak in comparison with other games of series
Myst V: End of Ages one thing that i not like was the controls with keyboard and the end is very disappointed.

Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Phoebe] #277873
02/12/08 05:05 PM
02/12/08 05:05 PM
Berkeley, CA
O
orchgamer Offline
Settled Boomer
orchgamer  Offline
Settled Boomer
O

Berkeley, CA
I will add my two cents:

I loved all of the Monkey Island games, especially Escape (someone has to be a fan... woozy ). I thought the sushi restaurant puzzle and the diving puzzles were just great. Even the fighting was fun to solve (at least on paper). The controls were difficult so I do understand others dislike for the game. On the other hand, I was very disappointed with Syberia 2. Despite the excellent graphics, and artistry of the drawings, the story line and horribly disappointing ending leaves that game for me off my best list.

I thought Myst III was the best and URU a disappointment (although IV, and V are in my "to play" pile, and I thought the 2nd and 3rd Gabriel Knights were better than the first.

Can I add 11th Hour as better than 7th Guest too? I found the films unbelievably bad to the point of hilarious and entertaining, and the really difficult puzzles to be perfect for a gamer like me.

Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: orchgamer] #277894
02/12/08 05:48 PM
02/12/08 05:48 PM
Greece
Volkana Offline
Addicted Boomer
Volkana  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Greece
Well Myst series is a good sequel for this specific kind of adventure games. I really don't like myst games. I have totally forgot Broken Sword (thanks chrissie for reminding me). How could i do that? It's one of my favorites... smile
I agree with chrissie though about the first two games of this sequel...

Last edited by Volkana; 02/12/08 05:50 PM.

Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Volkana] #277913
02/12/08 06:35 PM
02/12/08 06:35 PM
Pennsylvania, USA
PMcOuntry Offline
Settled Boomer
PMcOuntry  Offline
Settled Boomer

Pennsylvania, USA
My favorite adventure games of all time thus far are still Syberia and Syberia II, I liked the 2nd one better than the 1st but not by much!

Yes, Still life IS a sequel to Post Mortem as far as I'm concerned although I haven't played them yet.

I have a shelf full of games (14, only 1 is not an adventure game) that I have not played and of course a wish list of at least another 15 most of which have not come to the USA yet. I suspect my adventure gaming will take place during the summer when I have off between Spring/Fall college terms! Meanwhile, I squirrel away my games and play casual games or my MMORPG between studying.

I think I got off track there...

Patricia

Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: PMcOuntry] #278100
02/13/08 04:54 AM
02/13/08 04:54 AM
Marlborough USA
Kaki's Sister Offline
Sonic Boomer
Kaki's Sister  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Marlborough USA
I would like to add the Tomb Raider series to the list even though it is an action series there is a whole lot of adventure in every game. But I think the early games in the series were better.

Gerry
Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Kaki's Sister] #292562
03/11/08 09:16 PM
03/11/08 09:16 PM
Vienna, Austria
Jehane Offline
Settled Boomer
Jehane  Offline
Settled Boomer

Vienna, Austria
Haven't played many series and not all installments of a series but here goes.. smile
My all-time favourite game is GK 3, and it's also my favourite game in the series, GK 2 running a very, very close second. Broken Sword has already been mentioned; the first game in the series is, to me, the best of the four, with the Smoking Mirror and the Angel of Death on 2nd and 3rd place. Sleeping Dragon I found to be the weakest game in the series for various reasons (controls, stealth/action sequences, crates).

As for Monkey Island, I've only completed the original MI and Curse of MI; I liked the latter better but couldn't really put my finger on it why this is the case. Still have to complete LeChuck's Revenge and am still hesitating whether to by Escape from MI or not. The controls are a major put-off (I just don't like keyboard/gamepad controls), and the graphics look weird to me. Usually I don't care much for graphics even though I do enjoy good artwork; but in this case, they just look strange. Don't know if I could look at them for hours while playing the game smile

As for other series, I've played Dracula: Resurrection and liked it a lot. The Last Sanctuary still sits on my shelf, waiting to be played. From what I've seen so far, it's a lot gloomier than its predecessor, and it has action sequences (kind of) which makes it more intense than Resurrection.

Shiny.
Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Jehane] #292575
03/11/08 09:35 PM
03/11/08 09:35 PM
the Netherlands
Bernard Offline
Addicted Boomer
Bernard  Offline
Addicted Boomer

the Netherlands
I agree with Jehane that the GK series is one of the few that kept getting better and better and indeed GK3 is one of my all times favorites. Another series that is still improving is the Sherlock Holmes series, although the last one (SH vs. AL) had a slightly less compelling story compared to the Awakened.

Bernard

Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Jehane] #292610
03/12/08 12:33 AM
03/12/08 12:33 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Sometimes I like the original better...

I liked the first Monkey Island game the best. My second favorite is the 3rd in the series.
I liked Syberia a lot better than Syberia 2.

I liked the first 3 Myst games better than the last two. I find it hard to say which of those first three was better because they had different strengths.

The first Tomb Raider is my favorite and I like it WAY more than any of the others.

Riddle of the Sphinx was better than Omega Stone as a game, though Omega Stone had a lot of technical improvements.

Despite a few pixel hunts, I liked the first Gabriel Knight game the best overall. It had the best interactivity.

Runaway was better than Runaway 2.

Dracula Resurrection was better than Dracula Last Sanctuary.

As an adventure game, The Longest Journey was WAY better than Dreamfall.

7th Guest was better than 11th Hour.

Shivers was better than Shivers 2.

On the other hand...

In most ways, Atlantis II was better than Atlantis I.

I liked Schizm 2 better than the first Schizm. The puzzles were too tough for me in the first one. I'm not sure which is the better game though.

I liked Zork Grand Inquisitor. It's hard to compare it with the early Zork text games, but it's also better than the first graphical Zork game, Return to Zork.

King's Quest 6 is definitely better than King's Quest 1.

Nancy Drew 1 and 2 were the worst ones IMO.

The first AGON game was not the best one.

My favorite RHEM game is the second one.

The first Agatha Christie game was not the best one. I think Evil Under the Sun is the best one so far.

Under a Killing Moon and Pandora Directive were better than the first Tex Murphy games, Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum.

So far my favorite Sherlock Holmes game is Silver Earring, despite that loudmouth dog. Of the earlier Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes games, Rose Tattoo was better than Serrated Scalpel, if only because it had full sound.

Day of the Tentacle was better than Maniac Mansion.

I think Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is the best Indiana Jones game. I think it was the 3rd Indiana Jones game -- certainly not the first anyway.

Egypt I (Egypt 1156 B.C.) was much worse than the later Egypt games (Egypt II: The Heliopolis Prophecy and Egypt III: The Egyptian Prophecy).

Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Jenny100] #292778
03/12/08 09:22 AM
03/12/08 09:22 AM
Vienna, Austria
Jehane Offline
Settled Boomer
Jehane  Offline
Settled Boomer

Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted By: Jenny100

I liked Syberia a lot better than Syberia 2.

The first AGON game was not the best one.

How could I forget Syberia? I agree with you that the original Syberia was a lot better than the sequel even though the sequel had its qualities as well.
@Agon: Are you talking about the first episode here? The one in London? I have The Mysterious Codex and was pretty surprised how short this first episode turned out to be; if I had downloaded it and had paid 10 dollars for it, I would have felt cheated. The third episode (Madagascar) is a lot better than the first and second episode; it's longer and has more challenging puzzles. And it has a maze even I could beat grin Looking forward to The Lost Sword of Toledo; it's not yet been released over here smile

Shiny.
Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Jehane] #292801
03/12/08 10:04 AM
03/12/08 10:04 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Jehane -- the Lost Sword of Toledo has been released in the UK. You can purchase it at play.com here, though I don't know if they ship to the rest of Europe.

Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Becky] #292824
03/12/08 10:38 AM
03/12/08 10:38 AM
Vienna, Austria
Jehane Offline
Settled Boomer
Jehane  Offline
Settled Boomer

Vienna, Austria
@Becky: I know but the German version should be on its way already, it's to be released today, I think smile Play.com does ship to the rest of Europe, btw smile

Shiny.
Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Jehane] #292978
03/12/08 03:31 PM
03/12/08 03:31 PM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

That's good to know -- thanks!

Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Becky] #293005
03/12/08 04:42 PM
03/12/08 04:42 PM
Cambridge, England
Kickaha Offline
Addicted Boomer
Kickaha  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Cambridge, England
For me Journeyman Project 3 was the best in the series, shame they never made a fourth.

Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Jehane] #293065
03/12/08 08:30 PM
03/12/08 08:30 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Jehane
Agon: Are you talking about the first episode here? The one in London?

Yes. I bought the downloaded episodes before we knew the game would be released on CD. Unlike some downloadable games, they don't require online activation and the key they send you can be used on computers that aren't allowed online.

Quote:
I have The Mysterious Codex and was pretty surprised how short this first episode turned out to be; if I had downloaded it and had paid 10 dollars for it, I would have felt cheated.

Yes the first episode was short. The later episodes are longer, and IMO more interesting.

Re: Original or Sequel ?? [Re: Jenny100] #293209
03/13/08 07:05 AM
03/13/08 07:05 AM
Vienna, Austria
Jehane Offline
Settled Boomer
Jehane  Offline
Settled Boomer

Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Agon:
Yes the first episode was short. The later episodes are longer, and IMO more interesting.

I think so too, and from what I've heard, episode 4 seems to be longer than all previous episodes together so I'm really looking forward to that game. Should make its way to my mailbox any day now smile

Shiny.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Koala), 147 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users