GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: BubbaJake] #277860
02/12/08 04:38 PM
02/12/08 04:38 PM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
Originally Posted By: BubbaJake
I won't discuss Abnathus, or whatever/whenever his name was.

lol Abnaxus. That guy could talk the hind legs off a donkey.

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: Rushes] #277949
02/12/08 07:26 PM
02/12/08 07:26 PM
New Hampshire
SuMac Offline
Addicted Boomer
SuMac  Offline
Addicted Boomer

New Hampshire
The final puzzle in Shivers II was activated on the first disc, and the actual solving of it took place on the second disc. You could not save your game once you changed discs and the timer started with the first click.

It was a puzzle where you had to set many little mirrors to the correct angle to reflect a light beam across a board to a final hot spot that triggered the "good" ending to the game. You had to move fast to set those mirrors ahead of the light beam. I never made it all the way through.

BTW, I loved the rest of the game. It was loaded with fun puzzles, and if they ever reissue it on one CD or DVD, I'd buy it again.

Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: SuMac] #278115
02/13/08 05:34 AM
02/13/08 05:34 AM
Scotland
MsMercury Offline
Adept Boomer
MsMercury  Offline
Adept Boomer

Scotland
Two games that I really liked but got so frustrated with that I didn't finish them...

Atlantis Evolution - trying to escape from the Guardians in the forest had me tearing my hair out and hearing "Halt Deviant!" in my dreams! I just couldn't master that one even with a walkthrough.

Mysterious Journer 2 - the fog maze puzzle, could never get the hang of that one either.

"It's not what you have in your life
but who you have in your life that counts." puppy

I'm not getting old....just 'Marvelously Mature'! grin
Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: MsMercury] #278751
02/14/08 09:07 AM
02/14/08 09:07 AM
Illinois
BubbaJake Offline
Settled Boomer
BubbaJake  Offline
Settled Boomer

Illinois
I had so much FUN (said sarcastically) with that fog puzzle, I just wanted to disappear. THEN I got to that bridge puzzle. I'm beginning to think they (the lovely people who brought us Schizm and MJ2) don't feel a game is done until they have at least 2 baffling and agonizing puzzle. And I can hear them say, "but they're not sliders or mazes."

I agree, Becky. I liked the water\windy head puzzle a lot. I also love sliders.

Last edited by BubbaJake; 03/05/08 02:31 PM.
Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: BubbaJake] #278763
02/14/08 09:32 AM
02/14/08 09:32 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

I loved Mysterious Journey II -- didn't have any trouble with the fog puzzle, but I remember struggling with that water garden and the windy heads -- I guess I'm not much of a sailor.

Personally, I think it all depends on how each person's mind works.

Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: Becky] #278799
02/14/08 10:31 AM
02/14/08 10:31 AM
Belgium
B
Belgar Offline
Settled Boomer
Belgar  Offline
Settled Boomer
B

Belgium
I need to come clean ... I cheated .. yes I did ;-)
Had no choice but to look up the solution for Life and Betrayal (Judas' Malediction).
I ran around for hours trying to find the answer to this puzzle ... only to find out that the game had a little note book on the side (which I was aware of), but i never saw the arrow on the book to turn the page and see the other clues (which btw are needed to use with some objects).

After I saw this, the rest of the game was solved in 1 hour, but I felt very stupid for not noticing this before. All my ideas to solve were right, execpt for this [blip] little turn the page arrow.

I hate looking at walkthroughs, I always end up feeling guilty or stupid for not noticing such simple clues ... I miss the days of before the Internet. Back then, I had no choice but spend months trying to find the clues. Indiana Jones and Fate of Atlantis and First NMonkey Island come to mind ... spent over a year on it.

Last edited by Belgar; 02/14/08 10:32 AM.
Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: Belgar] #278810
02/14/08 10:58 AM
02/14/08 10:58 AM
Illinois
BubbaJake Offline
Settled Boomer
BubbaJake  Offline
Settled Boomer

Illinois
Belgar, I don't HAVE months to spend on one puzzle in a game. I loved Mysterious Journey 1 and 2, but the 2 sided bridge puzzle in 1 was kinda hard, but more fun than the one in MJ2. At first the fog puzzle was so confusing that I nearly gave up.

Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: Belgar] #278811
02/14/08 11:00 AM
02/14/08 11:00 AM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

lol Back in the day, before the internet, would you be stuck for months, not having noticed the arrow, though?

I miss arrows that way all the time. Especially if they are beautifully designed arrows that look decorative instead of functional.

Give me an ugly, obvious arrow any day.

Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: Becky] #278836
02/14/08 11:41 AM
02/14/08 11:41 AM
Belgium
B
Belgar Offline
Settled Boomer
Belgar  Offline
Settled Boomer
B

Belgium
ahah well maybe, I would still miss the obvious!

If you get the game Belief and Betrayal, you will thank me for noticing the arrow. grin
You would think that I would be smarter after years of playing these games? They still manage to have me scratch my head.
I am now playing Reprobates, so far so good ... until the next arrow!

Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: BubbaJake] #278839
02/14/08 11:44 AM
02/14/08 11:44 AM
Belgium
B
Belgar Offline
Settled Boomer
Belgar  Offline
Settled Boomer
B

Belgium
Originally Posted By: BubbaJake
Belgar, I don't HAVE months to spend on one puzzle in a game. I loved Mysterious Journey 1 and 2, but the 2 sided bridge puzzle in 1 was kinda hard, but more fun than the one in MJ2. At first the fog puzzle was so confusing that I nearly gave up.

Yes, but in the old days (early 90's)... you had no choice w/o Internet. The only choice was to know someone who had the game, or stumble upon a magazine that had the walkthru.

Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: Belgar] #278858
02/14/08 12:20 PM
02/14/08 12:20 PM
Rockford, Illinois
S
sierramindy Offline
Addicted Boomer
sierramindy  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Rockford, Illinois
In the old days if you had a modem you could get CompuServe and there was a Gamers Forum there that helped with the early, early games from the 1980s, like King's Quest for one. Of course, we also shared hints with friends. It was always fun when I was the first one in the group who found out what to do next when we were all stuck and so could help the others, what a high!

To love is to be happy with!
Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: sierramindy] #278908
02/14/08 02:12 PM
02/14/08 02:12 PM
Northwestern New Mexico, USA
Jenny Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Jenny  Offline
Grande Olde Dame
Sonic Boomer

Northwestern New Mexico, USA
When I first started playing games there were no forums or walkthroughs that I was aware of, although it's certainly possible that some existed. However the game developer offered a "hint line", where you could call and ask for help. The catch: this meant a long distance charge--I don't know how helpful they were, or how quickly you got an answer because I was never willing to pay for the help. Then I discovered GameBoomers, and that settled the problem for me...bravo

"Once you give up integrity, the rest is easy." Anonymous
Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: Jenny] #278937
02/14/08 03:44 PM
02/14/08 03:44 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Hi Jenny, my first true AG was Broken Sword & the first part I got truly stuck was trying to get past the goat! No internet, no help anywhere & I was going to work & not concentrating because I had my mind on the goat all the time! lol After a week I sussed it out by myself! but got stuck again later. I resorted to an expensive phone line then found a place I could have the whole walkthrough faxed through! yay Only trouble is I had it faxed through to my work place - I arranged it with the very ameniable admin lady but just as the fax came through the manager turned up! oops Luckily she just laughed! Yep! I love GameBoomers! hearts

Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: chrissie] #278940
02/14/08 03:49 PM
02/14/08 03:49 PM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Now that you mention it, I think I'd rather switch disks in the middle of a timed puzzle than meet that goat again. Evil incarnate. evil

Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: Becky] #278947
02/14/08 04:01 PM
02/14/08 04:01 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

london uk
I thought so - it led me astray when I should have been working! devil

Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: chrissie] #278958
02/14/08 04:25 PM
02/14/08 04:25 PM
stoke on trent England
dragonuk44 Offline
Addicted Boomer
dragonuk44  Offline
Addicted Boomer

stoke on trent England
I recall playing monkey island no walk through and I got so stuck and I d go bed thinking about this puzzal and in the middle of the night get an idea and start playing again .Then I found just adventure and some times you would wait days befor you got a reply .I mean there may have been walk throughs but I did nt know so when I first found that hints site .I thought it was so good and like when we were doing the demo Experiment 112 .How people get togeather and help each other .Some how I think we got our moneys worth so much more than we do today

s wheeldon
Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: dragonuk44] #278970
02/14/08 04:55 PM
02/14/08 04:55 PM
Greece
Volkana Offline
Addicted Boomer
Volkana  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Greece
A couple of years back i had that too (thinking of a game even when i went to bed). I'd finished many games without the slightest hint such us Tex Murphy - Pandora's tomorrow, Monkey island (all of them), Gabriel knight and a lot more. But back then i didn't have any other choice. I didn't have any internet connection... blush

Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: Volkana] #279052
02/14/08 07:33 PM
02/14/08 07:33 PM
New Hampshire
SuMac Offline
Addicted Boomer
SuMac  Offline
Addicted Boomer

New Hampshire
When I first started gaming, I had Internet, but didn't even know there were such things as WT's. I spent weeks wandering around Myst Island without even visiting another Age, until my nephew told how to do it.

And then I got stuck in Beyond Atlantis, tried to order the Guide from Dreamcatcher (of course it was on back order) and a very nice young lady there told me I might find some help at a website called GameBoomers.com ....and the rest is history.

Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: SuMac] #279144
02/14/08 11:02 PM
02/14/08 11:02 PM
Illinois
BubbaJake Offline
Settled Boomer
BubbaJake  Offline
Settled Boomer

Illinois
Oh, well I was just getting killed again and again by some level boss in a shooter. When I played my first adventure (Myst) I got a game guide with the game. Then when I got serious, I had a friend who had played Tex Murphy first. That was UAKM, then Pandora Directive and Buried In Time. Those three never frustrated me. Even with a guide Myst was baffling to me. Loved it and the sounds, but was still baffled. I never would have figured out the directions on that little rail car.

Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: BubbaJake] #279276
02/15/08 09:05 AM
02/15/08 09:05 AM
Belgium
B
Belgar Offline
Settled Boomer
Belgar  Offline
Settled Boomer
B

Belgium
Bubba .... lol, yes I remember them.
[blip] I now feel old.

Remember the first cd rom game? the 7th guest and bad mojo. I never finished them.
I got so frustrated and stuck, that I just gave up.

Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: Belgar] #279285
02/15/08 09:18 AM
02/15/08 09:18 AM
Illinois
BubbaJake Offline
Settled Boomer
BubbaJake  Offline
Settled Boomer

Illinois
Well, I sorta didn't start gaming that early, but I do remember DOS being on the PC. Most of the games I was playing were old by the time I got to them. I thought there were SO many adventure games! I could take my time and work through some confusing puzzles. The very first game I played NEW and got all the way through with no help at all was Mission Critical. That one stays on my mind a lot.

Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: BubbaJake] #292552
03/11/08 08:58 PM
03/11/08 08:58 PM
Vienna, Austria
Jehane Offline
Settled Boomer
Jehane  Offline
Settled Boomer

Vienna, Austria
Hi all,

new to this board so I hope you don't mind me resurrecting an older thread smile
There are some games that I literally wanted to smash against the wall because they infuriated me so much. Some of them were good and I finished them eventually; some weren't worth the effort, and others were good but I never managed to finish them because of annoying features. Here goes:

- Gabriel Knight - Sins of the Fathers. Loved that game until I reached the underground African temple and had to deal with the mummies. No matter how often and how hard I tried, I never managed to get past the [blip] things. Needless to say, I've never completed this game which is a real shame because I love the GK series. It's just that I do poorly at timed/action/stealth sequences; needless to say, the final sequence in GK 3 - Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned gave me a hard time too but nothing like those mummies... mad

- GK - The Beast Within. The final "maze" in the cellar was awful. Took me a while but finally, I managed to pass through it. Then I had a hard time finishing off the wolf but I did it. Great game. Have to replay it sometime smile

- Loch Ness. Overall, I didn't like the game much; in fact, I thought it was pretty boring and I couldn't care less for the main character. The underwater maze was a nice idea but I had to try several times before I beat it. I hate mazes... mad

- Broken Sword - The Sleeping Dragon. I'm a huge fan of the series; Broken Sword - Circle of Blood was the very first adventure I ever played and I'm still in love with that game. Still, the third installment of the series was a disappointment - not a major disappointment because it did have a good story, good dialogues, and George and Nico were still cool characters I cared about. But the controls were awful, especially during the action sequences because the camera angle would just change and all of a sudden, you're not running away from the killer but towards her. What a brilliant idea...
And the stealth sequences simply drove me mad - especially the one beneath Montfaucon. I don't know how many times I've tried and how often I almost reached the other side just to be shot again. I tried and tried and tried... searched for a walkthrough on the web and, to my dismay, had to find out that I'd have to complete that sequence yet two more times. That absolutely did it for me. I finished the game by loading a savegame I had downloaded from the web because I just didn't feel like trying hundreds of times in order to complete that stupid sequence. It really spoiled the fun for me. Up to that sequence, I thought the game was ok; not great, but ok. Because of that part (and the crates) I cannot help but think of it as the weakest game in the series even though it does have its great moments. Oh, and another moment in the game that nearly made me toss it against the wall: the final fight *argh* This game could have been so much better...

Last edited by MaG; 03/11/08 09:15 PM.

Shiny.
Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: Jehane] #292932
03/12/08 01:11 PM
03/12/08 01:11 PM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Jehane, welcome aboard. I agree with a lot of what you said, especially with BS3. As for GK1 if you still have the game I do have a save after the mummy if you would like it. Use of saves in those old games are a bit different but can be done. surprise but GK1 is still available, though used. Amazon resellers have it ranging from $18-$80 Who would pay $80? Prices are better at half.com ranging from $6 to $20.

They are still out there of course you are dealing with people you don't know but having bought several games from those sources I always got what I ordered and in the condition advertised.

Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: oldmariner] #292936
03/12/08 01:28 PM
03/12/08 01:28 PM
PA, USA
M
misa Offline
Addicted Boomer
misa  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

PA, USA
Jehane, it is really easy to get past the mummies in GK1 if you use the tips in the walkthroughs posted on gameboomers. It tells you exactly where to go and what vine to grab to make it to safety.

The first time I played it, it took me a long time to get past that scene but I recently replayed it and read the walkthrough for that part first and it was a piece of cake.

Re: Good games that infuriate you! [Re: misa] #292976
03/12/08 03:21 PM
03/12/08 03:21 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I disagree. Without pictures I couldn't tell where things were that they were talking about in the game -- not until after the mummies had got me. It took me several tries to get past them. I wouldn't say it was easy. And I think you may need a slowdown program unless you're using the updated GK1 installer.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 181 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users