GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: looney4labs] #285793
02/27/08 09:05 AM
02/27/08 09:05 AM
Ontario, Canada
jldcat Offline
Addicted Boomer
jldcat  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Ontario, Canada
Actually my step-mother thinks I'm absolutely barmy for playing adventure games. She makes it seem like I'm some kind of depressive recluse for being more interested in games than I am in the "real" world. I'm 38 (on May 14th) and she says that I'm too old and mature to be playing these games and need to get out and have a life.

She pretty much closed her mouth though when I told her about the people on here that are older than me that feel the same way.

My Dad has always enjoyed console games, he's had them all. He now has my old laptop with him in Florida so he is becoming introduced to the games I have on there from Bigfish.

I've kind of gotten a friend of mine into the Hidden Object games but she's not as obsessed with them as we all are. Just can't get her into the adventure games though. With a husband and 3 kids she just doesn't have the time to really get into an adventure game.

The breeze from one door closing opens another.
Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: Becky] #285795
02/27/08 09:09 AM
02/27/08 09:09 AM
West London, UK
JennyP Offline
Adept Boomer
JennyP  Offline
Adept Boomer

West London, UK
Chrissie, are you aware we have a UK adventure convention & regular London meetings ? Here is the link , no date for the next meet but if you go via Waterloo I can meet you there & we can go together http://www.adventureconvention.co.uk/

If you click on the Hamilton Halls link you can see some of us. I am the quiet blonde lady

Last edited by JennyP; 02/27/08 09:16 AM.

When in doubt, cuddle a catcatrub
Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: JennyP] #285932
02/27/08 01:28 PM
02/27/08 01:28 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Hi JennyP, I knew that a few Uk gamers met up once in a while & I was hoping to come along to the one near Liverpool Street station a couple of years ago but something cropped up. Didn't realise that it was a regularly organised event & that there was a whole website!! I'd love to come along the next time you meet up in London (if I can) so will keep an eye on the site (now in my faves!) Thank you so much for E-mailing & posting the info & link here - I would have to go via Waterloo & would love to meet you there first! smile N.B. I looked at the photos & saw a blonde lady - hard to tell whether she was quiet or not! lol

Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: chrissie] #285947
02/27/08 01:53 PM
02/27/08 01:53 PM
Colorado
Taylor's Mom Offline
Settled Boomer
Taylor's Mom  Offline
Settled Boomer

Colorado
I'm in the same boat as most of you. Nobody I know plays adventure games. The closest is a couple of guys at work that play a few RPG's. We were all playing Morrowind at the same time a few years ago and that was really fun. My husband likes to tease me about playing my games but I just usually ignore him. lol It would be great to know someone personally who enjoyed adventure games. I thought I might be able to get my mom into them, especially with the CSI games but so far no luck. Sigh, at least I have Gameboomers. smile

Steph

Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: chrissie] #286006
02/27/08 04:10 PM
02/27/08 04:10 PM
florida
bigmamma1 Offline
Settled Boomer
bigmamma1  Offline
Settled Boomer

florida
waveI can relate to what so many of you are saying-that you're the only one who plays CGs. I'm in the over 60 retired crowd and none of my friends have ever heard of adv. games-they have a concept that all games are sadistic, violent, ect. and only deranged teenage boys play them.
Some my age(especially women) have nothing to do with computers at all.
So Gameboomers is my outlet to discuss games and get help & advice, which makes gaming much more enjoyable thanksto all the wonderful, friendly folks here-what would I do without ya!
I don't play all the time-just a couple hours or so before dinner usually, so it takes me forever to finish a game, but I enjoy it because:
Keeps mind and reflexes sharper.
escape from the everyday world
imaginary adventures and environments
just plain fun

People do not remember how much you know,only how you make them feel
finished Gray Matter, playing Alice Madness returns and Deponia
Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: bigmamma1] #286047
02/27/08 05:58 PM
02/27/08 05:58 PM
Cambridge, England
Kickaha Offline
Addicted Boomer
Kickaha  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Cambridge, England
I wouldn't accuse you of being quiet Jenny!

Hope you can make the next meeting Chrissie - you live closer than some of us who go!

Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: chrissie] #286087
02/27/08 07:37 PM
02/27/08 07:37 PM
Florida
Teddo Offline
Settled Boomer
Teddo  Offline
Settled Boomer

Florida
If only we could get someone like AOL to print up a story on how boomers are hooked on Adventure Games!!!! I have absolutely no contacts, or I would do it myself. Perhaps there are those of you who do have these contacts. We need a story of what adventure games are like. There are many boomers that are bored to death, believe me!!! I'll bet there are those of you who have contacts to turn this into a "national" story.

Teddo

none
Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: chrissie] #287525
03/02/08 09:13 AM
03/02/08 09:13 AM
Serbia
Iva Offline
Addicted Boomer
Iva  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Serbia
I don't really care when people say that I waste my time playing adventures. I'd say that such games are great brain teasers and are a great anti stress therapy

Iva
'I would lose my head if it weren't in the clouds' Kate Walker's mom
Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: Iva] #288021
03/03/08 11:38 AM
03/03/08 11:38 AM
Smougman Offline
Junior Boomer
Smougman  Offline
Junior Boomer

I think the adventure/puzzle genre tends to be viewed as a more 'work intensive' or 'academic' style of game. While this is true in some cases, a lot of the adventure games I've played, and indeed some of my favorites aren't all that difficult in regards to puzzles or mental work.

I think the reason for the lack of appeal to younger audiences is simply that younger audiences are more reactive in terms of playing games.

I -do- see a slow change, or at the least, mingling of typical adventure gaming and typical action gaming. There are subtle changes creeping in to modern action games. There is a renewed emphasis on setting, on story, on exploration. Puzzles (basic ones mostly) are appearing in action games. The "Achievement" reward systems implemented in things like X-Box 360 Live, and Valve's Steam gaming service encourage players to go back to a game and explore and be thorough and to take their time.

I think we're going to see more adventure gaming in the coming years rather than the opposite. I think we'll see more adventure game elements in action and rpg games as well.

Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: Smougman] #288026
03/03/08 11:45 AM
03/03/08 11:45 AM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Thanks for those thoughts, Smougman.

Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: MaG] #288029
03/03/08 11:52 AM
03/03/08 11:52 AM
West London, UK
JennyP Offline
Adept Boomer
JennyP  Offline
Adept Boomer

West London, UK
Peter, I hope to meet up with Chrissie so we can travel part of the way together. I am a very quiet shy retiring person when I am asleep !

Last edited by JennyP; 03/03/08 11:54 AM. Reason: Quietness

Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: JennyP] #288825
03/04/08 05:44 PM
03/04/08 05:44 PM
Cambridge, England
Kickaha Offline
Addicted Boomer
Kickaha  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Cambridge, England
Good for you Jenny - have you appeared with Trinny yet by the way?

Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: Kickaha] #288936
03/05/08 12:42 AM
03/05/08 12:42 AM
rural Oregon, USA
BeaSong Offline
Addicted Boomer
BeaSong  Offline
Addicted Boomer

rural Oregon, USA
I too frequently find myself having to explain what an adventure game is, compared to a shoot N kill game, usually after I see a shocked face looking at this gray haired lady announcing that the game I'm buying is indeed for ME to play! rotfl

"Come Watson, the Game is afoot!"
www.ransomofatawallpa.com
Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: BeaSong] #289004
03/05/08 07:21 AM
03/05/08 07:21 AM
West London, UK
JennyP Offline
Adept Boomer
JennyP  Offline
Adept Boomer

West London, UK
Peter, watch out for the prog S ( yes, I was so quiet they popped me in 2 programmes ) to be aired sometime this autumn.

Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: JennyP] #289121
03/05/08 11:44 AM
03/05/08 11:44 AM
Indiana
ScarletDragon Offline
Addicted Boomer
ScarletDragon  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Indiana
I would love to join a local adventure gaming club and meet other people who share my interest, but the next best thing is Gameboomers. I do have a very dear friend who drags me to the store as soon as a new Nancy Drew is released. She stays over however many nights it takes us to finish it. We call this our "Nancy Drew sleepovers" and sometimes we get so engrossed, we forget to let the dogs out.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons ...
for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.
Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: ScarletDragon] #292249
03/11/08 10:09 AM
03/11/08 10:09 AM
Vienna, Austria
Jehane Offline
Settled Boomer
Jehane  Offline
Settled Boomer

Vienna, Austria
Although some of my friends play computer games, not many of them are into adventure games. Most just don't have the time anymore to play adventure games even though they love old games like Monkey Island or Broken Sword. However, they're not as up-to-date on new adventure games as I am since I seem to be the only one who plays them regularly. So if I want to chat with other people about new or old games, I come to a board like this one.

As for other people's reaction to me playing computer games: There are people who don't understand this at all. In their minds, computer games are a waste of time and they're linked to shooters. While reading books, for example, is an acknowledged hobby, playing computer games is not. Some guy I know even told me he didn't approve of me playing a lot because he thought it was a waste of time - that, by the way, ruined the tiny chance he might have had of becoming more than a friend to me *g* I understand that there are people who don't get the fascination that can come from a computer game and that these people would never play a game simply because they're not interested. But telling me that I'm wasting my time when playing is way too bold because, after all, it's my time and I don't feel like wasting it.

Shiny.
Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: chrissie] #292300
03/11/08 11:59 AM
03/11/08 11:59 AM
florida
bigmamma1 Offline
Settled Boomer
bigmamma1  Offline
Settled Boomer

florida
wave Hello Everyone-
I'm really enjoying this thread- and am amazed at how many of us retired folk are here on GB! And have noone in the real world who shares this interest.

As far as "wasting time" goes- there are lots more things besides CGs that people our age waste time on: mindless TV shows, complaining about doctors and health problems, gossiping,reading supermarket tabloids, ect, ect. So, IMO, what gives others the right to judge what is or is not "wasting" time?

Playing games and checking in with GB helps me feel young. The games are keeping the brain active and engaged-figuring out puzzles and how to progress in the game, instead of passively watching.Also writing a review of a game and reading others' comments on it is involving mind and personality-a great feeling.

As long as we have Gameboomers, us lone gamers will have companions in the gaming world bravo

People do not remember how much you know,only how you make them feel
finished Gray Matter, playing Alice Madness returns and Deponia
Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: Jehane] #292372
03/11/08 03:34 PM
03/11/08 03:34 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Originally Posted By: Jehane

.... Some guy I know even told me he didn't approve of me playing a lot because he thought it was a waste of time - that, by the way, ruined the tiny chance he might have had of becoming more than a friend to me ........

Hi Jehane, a lot of my friends, family & my work colleagues don't share my interest in AGs but all respect (even if they laugh!) that it is one of my passions. Any one that tells you that that they disapprove of ANY interest of yours because they consider it a waste of time, are either not interested in you & your welfare or they are a control freak who has no respect - whatever, you don't need them!!! smile

Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: teresa] #292383
03/11/08 03:58 PM
03/11/08 03:58 PM
Illinois
BubbaJake Offline
Settled Boomer
BubbaJake  Offline
Settled Boomer

Illinois
Speaking of mature gamers, I had a friend online who was 73 years old. He preferred node-node movement; Tex Murphy allowed too much freedom of movement! Other than that, he really liked gaming.

Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: chrissie] #292456
03/11/08 06:30 PM
03/11/08 06:30 PM
Vienna, Austria
Jehane Offline
Settled Boomer
Jehane  Offline
Settled Boomer

Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted By: chrissie
Originally Posted By: Jehane

.... Some guy I know even told me he didn't approve of me playing a lot because he thought it was a waste of time - that, by the way, ruined the tiny chance he might have had of becoming more than a friend to me ........

Hi Jehane, a lot of my friends, family & my work colleagues don't share my interest in AGs but all respect (even if they laugh!) that it is one of my passions. Any one that tells you that that they disapprove of ANY interest of yours because they consider it a waste of time, are either not interested in you & your welfare or they are a control freak who has no respect - whatever, you don't need them!!! smile

Exactly smile Needless to say, I'm no longer in touch with that guy *g* I don't share all interests of my friends, naturally, but I respect their passions just as they respect my playing games a lot. They might not understand why I keep playing games but they won't go as far as to say they don't approve.

Still, I think most people consider gaming a strange hobby, something suited for kids and juveniles. I must admit that before I started playing myself (rather late, I was 30 years old by then :)) I thought that the majority of gamers might be in their teens or early twenties. I've joined various adventure boards since then and was delighted to find out that there's a vast crowd of "mature" gamers out there, that is to say, gamers that have already left their 30s and 40s, even 50s behind smile Until I discovered the boards, I didn't know these people existed; I thought gaming was something for teens and students, probably because most adults I know don't play games anymore. Some did when they were still students and had the time; they either lost interest or just don't have the time anymore.

Shiny.
Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: Jehane] #325311
05/11/08 04:09 PM
05/11/08 04:09 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Just want you to know that as a direct result of starting this thread I no longer feel so lonely. I have since met up with JennyP a couple of times for coffee & 'shoppity shop' (not necessarily in that order! lol) & again on Saturday to make it to the 'meet' at Hamilton Halls. I couldn't have hoped for a nicer & more interesting group of people to spend a few hours with & hope to meet them all again in August but can't commit just yet to the weekend Convention in October. I learnt that day I didn't know what a true text adventure was & have today downloaded one of DoreenB's to try - currently stuck trying to get something out of a cupboard! lol

Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: chrissie] #325355
05/11/08 05:39 PM
05/11/08 05:39 PM
Rockford, Illinois
S
sierramindy Offline
Addicted Boomer
sierramindy  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Rockford, Illinois
Hi chrissie,
I'm interested in this text adventure by DoreenB and would like to know where you found the download. I started adventure gaming with the Scott Adams text adventures until Sierra came along. It might be nice to try one again.

To love is to be happy with!
Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: sierramindy] #325365
05/11/08 06:04 PM
05/11/08 06:04 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
sierramindy, most of their games can be accessed Here.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #325396
05/11/08 07:09 PM
05/11/08 07:09 PM
Rockford, Illinois
S
sierramindy Offline
Addicted Boomer
sierramindy  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Rockford, Illinois
I went to Here and found 3 games by Doreen Bardon. Checked out CAT to see what the download would be like for the games. It has: Type Compressed (zipped) Folders. I don't know how to Unzip files. The Ace site is "being revamped" and will not be back until the middle of June.
I was thinking of maybe playing the same game as chrissie so I could get help (and maybe even give help) when needed. Any interest there, chrissie, or would it be too much trouble to show me how to download a Zipped file? Or whatever.

To love is to be happy with!
Re: Adventure Gaming - Lonely? [Re: sierramindy] #325399
05/11/08 07:14 PM
05/11/08 07:14 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
To unzip a zipped file, just download, right click and say to extract all.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 212 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users