GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Can You Stand Them ?? #291209
03/09/08 08:00 AM
03/09/08 08:00 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi smile

Just re-played The Secret of Monkey Island - am in the middle of LeChuck's Revenge (MI2) and will soon be moving on to The Curse of Monkey island (MI3) grin

[I've played these games many times before - as I have lots of my really old games - but have never lost my love for them grin]

However, they do all have ANCIENT graphics and I was wondering how many people today would tolerate such graphics for the sake of a good game ??

I personally very much admire the ingenuity of the developers in managing to produce, as they did in those days, such enthralling games with such limited facilities thumbsup

Cheers.

Mad wave

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: Mad] #291223
03/09/08 08:43 AM
03/09/08 08:43 AM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Mad, the graphics are not a problem for me as long as the story and puzzles are fun wave

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: looney4labs] #291226
03/09/08 09:03 AM
03/09/08 09:03 AM
United Kingdom
SkeeterUK Offline
Addicted Boomer
SkeeterUK  Offline
Addicted Boomer

United Kingdom
I didnt used to mind the gfx but as time went on i do usually expect developers these days to use my hardware to its fullest potential so high res gfx with attention to detail and 5.1 music/sound. It does depend on the game tho as some games if the story and gameplay and interface are top notch goodness with not as current gfx and sound in em i probably would play em.

I really dont like the fact adventure games companys these days that have stuck to low 1024x786 or lower res tho. I wish they updated to minimum 1280x1024 res at least as its the industry standard nowadays i think since 19" screens are the most common screens these days.

I thought id like Al emmo or whatever it was called but i really couldnt get into it cos of the aging interface and gfx. If it had a more modern interface like still life or somit and a bit better gfx then i might have enjoyed it as it was supose to be a funny game to play.

The quality of TLJ is probably the lowest i would expect for newly developed games although at a higher res than TLJ as the res was the main prob for me, everything looked so pixelated. But i did love the game alot its the best game ive ever played and hope in a few more years to replay it if i can forget most of it by that time so its kinda new again to me.

I have been replaying indy jones FOA tho mainly the talkie version as i played it fully without voices so the talkie version is bringing something new to me when i replay it. The gfx are nice and the interface is spot on tho so they are major factors to me liking that game. Tho if i saw a game commercially produced to that degree of gfx and interface id probably not buy it as it kinda goes against my choices of new hardware. i mean i dont expect new adv games to be like crysis or call of duty 4 gfx but i definatly dont want them looking like there from 5-10 years ago.

Last edited by SkeeterUK; 03/09/08 09:12 AM.
Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: looney4labs] #291227
03/09/08 09:07 AM
03/09/08 09:07 AM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
Hi MaD...

I don't have a problem with cartoonist type graphics.
I am currently playing Jazz & Faust ....I am totally enjoying it.

I agree with L4L as long as the story & puzzles are Kool cool

But ..I do agree with you that nowadays graphics are so high tech & true to life one might say who wants to go back to the old Lucas Art type games.. monky

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"
Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: Darleen03] #291229
03/09/08 09:27 AM
03/09/08 09:27 AM
Brazil
Phoebe Offline
Addicted Boomer
Phoebe  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Brazil
Hey Mad,

I also not have problem with graphics, for me the story must be good. I love played some old classics adventures. Right now i am playing again Tex Muprhy Overseer and in the last month i played
again The Last Express

Love Maria hearts

Yes,though i go through the valley of deep shade,i will have no fear of evil;for you are with me, your rod and your support are my comfort. Salmo23:4
Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: Mad] #291232
03/09/08 09:40 AM
03/09/08 09:40 AM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Hi Mad, I think the prize for the worst graphics in games I've played goes to Gabriel Knight 1 closely followed by Monkey Island 1! But both these games have compelling storylines & gameplay which knock the socks off many games produced since.

I love all the high tech graphics we are getting now, the genre deserves them & IMO the standard of many games as far as story & interface goes is very good but it will always be difficult to beat some of the old classics in these respects. I totally agree that they are to be admired.

The graphics wouldn't put me off playing a good older game but I'd love to see many of them re-made with improved graphics (without changing anything else!) smile

Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: Phoebe] #291234
03/09/08 09:42 AM
03/09/08 09:42 AM
Shany Offline
Settled Boomer
Shany  Offline
Settled Boomer

I don't mind the game having 'old' graphics, but I mind it if it has 'ugly' graphics.
Thid could mean bad character design, inconcistent things (like backgrounds and characters not fitting) or deliberate ugly designs. Luckily, this doesn't happen often, and usually games manage to look alright.

Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: Shany] #291261
03/09/08 10:30 AM
03/09/08 10:30 AM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
Knowing that the very early Monkey Island and Gabriel Knight games have such primitive graphics is what has put me off playing them. I certainly would not buy them now, when gaming graphics have advanced so much with newer releases. Yes, the storylines may be great, but if I buy a game these days I want the graphics to be great too - I don't want to revert back to the days of blocks 'n' splodges.

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: Shany] #291264
03/09/08 10:32 AM
03/09/08 10:32 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi smile

SkeeterUK .... Oh, I'm not at all suggesting new games be developed with old graphics. No one of us would want that.
What I'm asking is :
When a really good old game has really old graphics, does it nevertheless still draw you in ?? grin

chrissie said .... "The graphics wouldn't put me off playing a good older game but I'd love to see many of them re-made with improved graphics (without changing anything else!)"

And my reply is .... Ahhhhh .... If only !! cool cool

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: Mad] #291271
03/09/08 10:43 AM
03/09/08 10:43 AM
PA, USA
M
misa Offline
Addicted Boomer
misa  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

PA, USA
I don't mind older graphics in old or new games. I had a bit of a bias against clunky graphics until I started playing a lot of underground (indy freeware) games last year. That really changed my mindset about adventure games and that the most important parts (for me) are plot and puzzles -- graphics are always secondary in adventure games. With RPGs and FPSs I totally understand that high-end graphics can make or break a game. I just don't feel that way about adventure games though.

While I appreciate beautiful artwork, I'd rather see a well-written, well-played adventure game with not-so-great graphics versus one with high-end/beautiful graphics and a shoddy storyline and gameplay (I'm looking at you "Paradise"!).

I also said this in another thread regarding the move back to 2D for some upcoming games:

"I welcome the move back to 2D for adventure games as well (or even sticking with 2.5D)! There are so many adventure gamers who don't have computers that can handle 3D and when it comes right down to it, a lot of the bells and whistles of 3D really aren't that necessary IMHO to adventure gameplay and certainly not plot or puzzles."

As for Mad's question, yes, if a good game (old or new) has older graphics, it still definitely draws me in. If there is a follow-up question about would I still buy a new game that has older graphics, the answer is definitely yes. I am a huge fan of the Blackwell series and am eagerly awaiting the third in the series. smile

Last edited by misa; 03/09/08 01:41 PM.
Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: misa] #291317
03/09/08 01:16 PM
03/09/08 01:16 PM
Maryland,USA
Trinny3 Offline
Settled Boomer
Trinny3  Offline
Settled Boomer

Maryland,USA
I guess if you really liked a old game and wanted to play it again you wouldn't care so much about the graphics you would remember how weak they were. But you would expect more from the new games. When I first start to play a new game and the graphics are beautiful in detail it draws me into the game, I just want to see more. Now if the graphics are not so good on a new game it turns me off almost from the very begaining. Then the story line has to capture me right away to keep my interest. The best games to treasure are when the graphics and story line are good. I tried a few old games and couldn't get into them.

Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: Trinny3] #291352
03/09/08 02:20 PM
03/09/08 02:20 PM
United Kingdom
SkeeterUK Offline
Addicted Boomer
SkeeterUK  Offline
Addicted Boomer

United Kingdom
Well i have yet to play gabriel knight 1 as the gfx being old did kinda put me off a bit and the very start was a bit boring. So yeah old gfx can kinda put me off.

Gabrield knight 2 FMV, the long winded intro really put me off i watched it once and couldnt be bothered to play it after lol so i didnt. Tho one day i hope to. I just hope theres a skip intro thing.

Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: Mad] #291373
03/09/08 03:01 PM
03/09/08 03:01 PM
San Francisco area, Calif.
Carrie Offline
Settled Boomer
Carrie  Offline
Settled Boomer

San Francisco area, Calif.
One of my first games was Phantasmagoria, and to my 'eye' the graphics quality holds up well to today's standards... and I 'can stand playing similar (12-year-old) oldies.

Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: Carrie] #291468
03/09/08 07:32 PM
03/09/08 07:32 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi smile

I can only say, SkeeterUK, that I'm sure (if you can only manage to "get beyond" the old graphics) you will find Gabriel Knight Sins of the Fathers to be an incredible adventure game.

It has everything ....
A terrific story, characters you can relate to and plenty of good puzzles to solve thumbsup

And like so many of the older games it is truly full length grin

Cheers.

Mad yay

Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: Mad] #291483
03/09/08 07:50 PM
03/09/08 07:50 PM
Colorado
ssgamer Offline
Addicted Boomer
ssgamer  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Colorado
Maybe the graphics aren't the tops but the Gabriel Knights (all of them) Broken Sword, are great games. Now playing Mummy Tomb of the Pharaoh, and have Frankenstine (Jim Carey)to play. Also about through Byzantine, great story lines. I guess it's the story first, them the graphics. My favorite GK is Sins of the fathers. My favorite BS is Sleeping Dragon. I keep wandering about finding old games to see whch will play on XP.
Have a good day.
Charllotte

Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: ssgamer] #291488
03/09/08 08:00 PM
03/09/08 08:00 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I don't have a problem with graphics as old as the VGA version of Monkey Island 1. I even enjoy the visual puns the designer sometimes adds, which wouldn't work with high resolution graphics. I start to have a problem with 16 color graphics. I don't think I could play something that looked like this
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/dj-vu-a-nightmare-comes-true/screenshots

Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: Jenny100] #291544
03/09/08 10:07 PM
03/09/08 10:07 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi Jenny100 smile

Oh, dear !! A bit vivid to say the least lol lol

Without a list of "games by date", I can't say which is the oldest game I've played - but maybe around "Maniac Mansion " time .... 1987 ??

I know many people have played older ones than that .... but I was a late starter evil

Cheers.

Mad broccoli

Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: Jenny100] #291739
03/10/08 10:46 AM
03/10/08 10:46 AM
PA, USA
M
misa Offline
Addicted Boomer
misa  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

PA, USA
Originally Posted By: Jenny100
I don't think I could play something that looked like this

Ha! I think I could play it. My first adventure game I ever played was the original King's Quest 1 on a green monochrome monitor! Actually that game you linked looks very interesting.

Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: misa] #291825
03/10/08 01:56 PM
03/10/08 01:56 PM
Lincoln, NE
GuybrushThreepwood Offline
Addicted Boomer
GuybrushThreepwood  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Lincoln, NE
First game I played was the first Space Quest. It isn't the graphics I mind now, its the command parser. I don't enjoy having to type what I want to do.

Currently Playing:
Adventure Game: Broken Age
Darkside: Star Wars: The Old Republic
Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: misa] #291846
03/10/08 02:54 PM
03/10/08 02:54 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: misa
I don't think I could play something that looked like this

Ha! I think I could play it. My first adventure game I ever played was the original King's Quest 1 on a green monochrome monitor!

But could you play it now?

Quote:
Actually that game you linked looks very interesting.

It was remade for PocketPC, and looks much better there
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/games/deja_vu.htm

Originally Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood
First game I played was the first Space Quest. It isn't the graphics I mind now, its the command parser. I don't enjoy having to type what I want to do.

It wouldn't be so bad if most parsers weren't so stupid.
Remember this?
http://justadventure.com/articles/SeriouslyWhacked/SW_Jan4_2002.shtm

Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: Jenny100] #291860
03/10/08 03:13 PM
03/10/08 03:13 PM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
It wouldn't be so bad if most parsers weren't so stupid.
Remember this?
http://justadventure.com/articles/SeriouslyWhacked/SW_Jan4_2002.shtm

lol That was great.

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: Rushes] #292001
03/10/08 08:41 PM
03/10/08 08:41 PM
Athens, Greece
alkis21 Offline
Settled Boomer
alkis21  Offline
Settled Boomer

Athens, Greece
I can stand bad graphics much more easily than I can stand some other things which are extremely frequent in modern adventure games.

-Simplistic storylines

-Paper thin characters

-Overused themes (Atlantis, Egypt, murder, curse, enchanted object, etc.)

-Little to no research on the game's subject. After 677 Atlantis games, you'd think the developers would take the time to read a book or two on the latest theories regarding the lost continent. But noooo, the little 'historic' info they include revolves around the same theories that have been discredited since the early 90s. As for the 12,298 games set in Egypt... I'm surprised they don't make the pyramids rectangular.

-Less than 5 inventory items, less than 10 actual adventure puzzles, less than three hotspots per screen.

-Difficulty level suitable for 8 year olds. This seems to follow the trend of modern times. For instance, remember the time when you needed to know everything from the price of rice in Kenya to the population of Tongo in order to have a chance in winning a TV show contest? Now all you have to do is open boxes. Adventure games of today seem to be no different.

-The oh-so-popular "The game is too short let's add 20 slider puzzles and 75 levers that are in no way related to the story"

-Hybridization

-Less and less interaction. At this rate, the adventure games of 2020 will be movies with nothing but a 'Click here to continue' button.

-It seems to me that the sum of {story quality} + {puzzles quality} + {graphics quality} in adventure games is constant. And the graphics get better and better.

OK I'd better stop because I'm babbling.

I don't claim that my games will be flawless, but I'm positive that whether you like them or not, you will be able to say "now there's someone who spent more than 20 minutes to write this story, and actually read it a couple of times before releasing it".

As for the gentleman who wrote that article on text adventure parsers, he obviously didn't play the right games. How about these parser commands:

-MEMORIZE OZMOO
-OPEN TUB THEN LOOK IN IT
-TAKE ALL FROM CUPBOARD
-DROP ALL BUT NOTE AND SWAG BAG
-BET ON GREY RAT WITH NOTE

Atropos Studios
Nothing adventured, nothing gained
Visit our web site to order Diamonds in the Rough
Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: alkis21] #292021
03/10/08 09:23 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi smile

"Jenny100 .... Remember this?"
I do !!!! Priceless !!!! rotfl rotfl

Alkis ....
I agree with so much of what you say and it would be nice if we could all have what we want but then again we do all want something different wink
And there is probably someone out there RIGHT NOW who would be quite happy to just "click the continue button" as their way of enjoying an adventure evil

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: alkis21] #292023
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Originally Posted By: alkis21

-Less and less interaction. At this rate, the adventure games of 2020 will be movies with nothing but a 'Click here to continue' button.

lol I have actually played some of those games and the amazing thing is people still get stuck. rotfl I love your list!

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Can You Stand Them ?? [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #292133
03/11/08 05:37 AM
03/11/08 05:37 AM
Athens, Greece
alkis21 Offline
Settled Boomer
alkis21  Offline
Settled Boomer

Athens, Greece
One thing that the people who are interested in playing old games might find useful:
If you play a game that was originally designed for a 14'' screen at a resolution of 320x240 in your 22'' wide screen monitor, full screen, it is only natural that it looks awful. The best thing you can do is to use a tool such as DOSBox and play it in Window mode.

Atropos Studios
Nothing adventured, nothing gained
Visit our web site to order Diamonds in the Rough
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Graphium_Studio), 230 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users