GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy #292407
03/11/08 04:56 PM
03/11/08 04:56 PM
Denmark
jedi valius Offline OP
Settled Boomer
jedi valius  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Denmark
Hi everyone!

I just finished this game today and thought I would write a small review of it. I have never really written a game review before, so we'll see how it goes.:) I thought of dividing the review in small chapters.

SYNOPSIS: This is an historical/paranormal game set in the 16th century. You play as Nostradamus daughter and you have to help Catherine De Medicis unravel a mystery concerning a curse on the royal entourage. You will dabble in astrology, quatrines interpretation and celtic alphabet, among other othings, to solve this mysery.

GENERAL IMPRESSION: I really liked the game but was also deeply disappointed about its length or lack thereof. This game is probably one of the shortest games I have ever played. I even think Nancy Drew games are longer...which is a pity cuz I really think the game was solid in all other aspects

GRAPHICS: The graphics are quite standard and nothing extraordinary. For examples the backgrounds are quite static, however the colours are incredibily vivid and warm, creating a very appropriate cozy atmosphere. The indoor environments are especially nice and detailed and I really enjoyed roaming around Nostradamus beautiful house.

GAMEPLAY: All the game can be played only with the mouse, which is always a delight. Straightforward commands both for movement and inventory. One a note: objects can not be combined and the notebook is a true interactive feature and not a static diary as many other games.

PUZZLES: I found all puzzles to be logical and appropriate. There are a few mechanical puzzles, notebook puzzles and fantastic recipes puzzles! It follows the same line as "The Secret of Da Vinci" game, so if you liked the puzzles in that game, you will like these.

SOUND: The music is generally ok, even though I found the vocal addition in the music a bit distracting at times. The characters voices are nicely done.

REPLAY VALUE There is no alternate ending that I know of, however you gather points throughout the whole investigation so you can always play again to garner more points.

DURATION: This is a true sore spot! I found the game to be incredibly short!! I was really disappointed to see it ending so quickly. I probably played about 1 1/2 hr a day for a 4 or 5 days and then it was over. This was a big let down for me I am afraid.

BEST FEATURE: The recipe puzzles are a delight! I could not get enough of concoctions making! The notebook puzzles were very nice too and the inventory/character page is beautifully laid out and very easy to use.

WORST FEATURE Definitely the short duration of the game frown

YOU WILL LIKE THIS GAME IF...If you liked "Secrets Of Da Vinci" , if you like historical games with a nice paranormal twist, if you like assembling ingredients in cauldrons and if you like the figure of Nostradamus. smile

MY FINAL GRADE: C. Had it been longer, probably a B+

Gnothi Seauton
Re: Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy [Re: jedi valius] #292421
03/11/08 05:16 PM
03/11/08 05:16 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Hi Jedi and thanks for the review.

Since you found the game short, did you use hints or a walkthrough? Or were you able to finish it on your own in under 7 hours? Have you been playing adventure games for long?

I really liked Secrets of DaVinci but I know it took me much longer to play than that. How does it compare in length to DaVinci? puppy

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy [Re: looney4labs] #292465
03/11/08 06:49 PM
03/11/08 06:49 PM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Stony Brook, New York, USA
Hi Jedi -- a very thorough review!

You definitely played the game much more quickly than I did. lol

A question -- did you have any trouble with the puzzle near the end that was timed? What did you think of playing both a male and female role?

Re: Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy [Re: Becky] #292478
03/11/08 07:18 PM
03/11/08 07:18 PM
Brazil
Phoebe Offline
Addicted Boomer
Phoebe  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Brazil
Hey Jedi..good review

I right now playing Nostradamus, and i agree with you in some aspects of the game like the puzzles, is very easy and logical. The Graphics is very simple, nothing of incredible but good. Gameplay is very easy and pleasant. I still did not finish but i agree with your C.

Love Maria hearts

Last edited by Phoebe; 03/11/08 09:34 PM.

Yes,though i go through the valley of deep shade,i will have no fear of evil;for you are with me, your rod and your support are my comfort. Salmo23:4
Re: Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy [Re: looney4labs] #292768
03/12/08 09:17 AM
03/12/08 09:17 AM
Denmark
jedi valius Offline OP
Settled Boomer
jedi valius  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Denmark
Hi,

I used the walkthrough twice to be honest, but otherwise I found the puzzles pretty straightforward. I have been playing adventure games for many years. I totally agree with you about Secrets of Da Vinci. It took me longer to play that one too! I don't have specific data about which one was longer or shorter. I can only say SODV felt much longer than Nostradamus...whether that is because the latter was easier or actually the storyline was much shorter I can not say. If you liked SODV, you will love Nostradamus but I hope you will find it longer than I did.

Originally Posted By: looney4labs
Hi Jedi and thanks for the review.

Since you found the game short, did you use hints or a walkthrough? Or were you able to finish it on your own in under 7 hours? Have you been playing adventure games for long?

I really liked Secrets of DaVinci but I know it took me much longer to play than that. How does it compare in length to DaVinci? puppy

The timed puzzle at the end was not fun for me as I really dislike timed events! hehe However I found it pretty straightforward once I saved a few times and tried the puzzles a couple of times. I would be pleased to tell you more in details which puzzles I found harder, but I am not sure whether review threads are supposed to be spoiler-free?

I LOVED playing as both man and woman. It was a lot of fun, especially delivering the love potion to Constance razz

Originally Posted By: Becky

A question -- did you have any trouble with the puzzle near the end that was timed? What did you think of playing both a male and female role?

Hi Phoebe,

right on smile I still hope you will find it longer than I did. I was so bummed when it finished so soon frown

Gnothi Seauton
Re: Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy [Re: jedi valius] #292815
03/12/08 10:21 AM
03/12/08 10:21 AM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Hi ya Jedi, you are free to tell Phoebe which puzzles you found difficult. However, you would need to put that info under a spoiler tag. You can access that from the Full Reply Screen. It's the megaphone. Click on that and then put the info between the tags.

You could also start a new thread about the puzzles in Nostradamus over in the Adventure Discussion Forum, but you would still need to use spoiler tags. puppy

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy [Re: Becky] #292818
03/12/08 10:25 AM
03/12/08 10:25 AM
Denmark
jedi valius Offline OP
Settled Boomer
jedi valius  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Denmark
So about the puzzle near the end...I got stumped in a couple of places, namely
Click to reveal..
the one where you have to adjust the pedestal holding the pentagram. I did not realize you had to put it higher so I tried millions of combinations before I realized that you could manipulate that in the inventory. doh. the other place was the pentagram itself. I actually made it quite a few times before I realized that it had to face a certain way for the puzzle to be completed and for being able to take the pentagram.
From then on, it was pretty straightforward. What did you find most difficult in the end?

Originally Posted By: Becky

Gnothi Seauton
Re: Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy [Re: jedi valius] #293136
03/13/08 12:27 AM
03/13/08 12:27 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi jedi valius smile

Great review !! thanks

I'm waiting for the boxed version of this game myself - so could be a while yet wink

Cheers.

Mad wave

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy [Re: Mad] #293149
03/13/08 03:37 AM
03/13/08 03:37 AM
Denmark
jedi valius Offline OP
Settled Boomer
jedi valius  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Denmark
I have the boxed version in english. I bought it in a local store here in Denmark. I assume it is the UK version actually, so I think it should already be out somewhere in the UK?

Gnothi Seauton
Re: Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy [Re: jedi valius] #293211
03/13/08 07:13 AM
03/13/08 07:13 AM
Vienna, Austria
Jehane Offline
Settled Boomer
Jehane  Offline
Settled Boomer

Vienna, Austria
Nice review, jedi valius smile I agree that the game is way too short; didn't really like the ending as well, it was too abrupt. Also, Secrets of Da Vinci felt much longer; it also had a proper ending smile Both games were just beautiful to look at; the night sequence in Nostradamus was stunning smile I especially liked the idea of being able to play as a man and a woman, whatever suited the player's needs best, and the interface was just brilliant. The game gives you so much to do on various levels; both games do, actually. At least Secrets of Da Vinci does have some replay value with the angel/devil scales provided; for Nostradamus, I don't think there's much of a replay value in that it might have an alternate ending - I don't think it does. Replaying might just alter the points you're being awarded throughout the game for successfully completed actions smile

Shiny.
Re: Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy [Re: Jehane] #293312
03/13/08 10:57 AM
03/13/08 10:57 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi jedi valius smile

The boxed retail version game isn't available in the UK as far as I know .... And I've tried all my regular on-line UK sites too.

But I'm hopeful it will eventually show up grin

[Of course there's always a chance Dave at InteractCD will eventually carry it. Been going to him for years thumbsup]

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy [Re: Mad] #293313
03/13/08 10:59 AM
03/13/08 10:59 AM
Denmark
jedi valius Offline OP
Settled Boomer
jedi valius  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Denmark
Hi, that is so weird as the english version is available here in different stores...hmm. I hope you find it soon, otherwise I could buy it for you and ship it over to you. Shipping is quite quick from DK to UK. The game costs about 26 GBP.

Gnothi Seauton
Re: Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy [Re: jedi valius] #293324
03/13/08 11:33 AM
03/13/08 11:33 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi jedi valius .... And thank you for that extremely kind offer grin

If I get very tired of waiting I might well come back to you thumbsup

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy [Re: Mad] #293454
03/13/08 04:37 PM
03/13/08 04:37 PM
Greece
Volkana Offline
Addicted Boomer
Volkana  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Greece
Hi Jedi and thanks for the review. I finished this game a few hours ago and i agree with you. The game was short but i have some others in mind that were much sorter smile. I enjoyed playing this game but i didn't like that it was very much the same as Da Vinci game. Not that i didn't like Da Vinci but it had a rather unique gameplay (for my point of view) and it's really odd to meet that particular gameplay with so many similarities in another game. The puzzles were ok not very hard nor very easy and i must say this was one of the few games that i didn't search for one of Mag's walkthroughs lol. That was a nice review bravo

Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (manxman), 235 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users