GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Avencast #296661
03/19/08 05:54 AM
03/19/08 05:54 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline OP
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline OP
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Since I won this game in a drawing here at Gameboomers, I thought I would share a few thoughts about the game since I finally beat Morgath last night.

I started the game about 2:30 am after several hours in The Witcher and just hated it. I simply could not get my character to move around easily or interact with objects and his environment. But a couple of weeks later I decided I was too tired that night to give it a proper chance and gave it another go.

I found you have 3 options for how you control your character with different camera angles. I worked with all three and finally found one that worked for me. After a couple of hours, I found that I was really enjoying the game and looked forward to playing it.

The game has some flaws and some REALLY annoying dialogue. The story-line is pretty predictable, but OK. Sometimes I got tired of listening to some windbag go on and on and clicked on the words so I could just read them. Some of the voice acting was really hokey too. The absolute worst was when my character (who was a Great Mage by that time) made a comment to an NPC - "Yes, he is such a darling man, isn't he?" I nearly hurled and had to click to listen again to make sure I heard correctly.

The fight music was pretty hokey too, but I did find it in my head a few times during the day.

However, in spite of all that, I have to say I really enjoyed this game. The enemies were varied and numerous and the fighting was challenging. It also had very well-integrated and challenging puzzles and riddles. Some of them rivaled those in a good Adventure Game. My favorite detail was how you could open up your character screen while you were buying and selling with Gorlin. By right clicking on an item you wanted to buy - say a helmet - it would not only show you the different attributes of this item, but also the attributes of the same item already worn by your character. That way you could compare them and decide whether to buy. A very nice feature.

I played on the easy setting and someday will play again on the hard or expert setting. At the end, I thank Gameboomers for the game!

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Avencast [Re: Draclvr] #296701
03/19/08 08:02 AM
03/19/08 08:02 AM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Thanks Draclvr, I'm glad you gave it a second chance. Isn't it funny how giving the game a second look worked out. That comparison screen sounds like a great feature.

When you play again, will you still be a Mage? Or is there a choice?

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Avencast [Re: looney4labs] #296807
03/19/08 11:23 AM
03/19/08 11:23 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Stony Brook, New York, USA
Draclvr -- thanks for the review! That's great that there were varied difficulty settings -- important for adventure gamers who might want to try something different.

Re: Avencast [Re: looney4labs] #296810
03/19/08 11:33 AM
03/19/08 11:33 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi Draclvr smile

I'm so glad you enjoyed the game bravo

I too won a copy in the Gameboomer Giveaway but despite changing camera angles and anything else I could change - and starting over three times because I thought I knew more what to do by the third try - the game just proved too difficult for me sad

As you might guess, my repertoire of played right to the end RPGs is not what could be called "huge" lol

Cheers.

Mad wave

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Avencast [Re: Mad] #297062
03/19/08 06:30 PM
03/19/08 06:30 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline OP
Draclvr  Offline OP
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
l4l, you will always be a Mage in this game. However, at a certain point you have to choose between being a Soul Mage and a Blood Mage. Soul Mage has spells that work at a distance and the Blood Mage spells are for close up fighting. I picked Soul Mage and I LOVED those spells. One of them delivered over 1,000 hit points! Next time will be at a higher difficulty level and as a Blood Mage...

Becky, this is sooo not an adventure game, but I agree that an adventure gamer who wanted to play something different might be tempted to give it a try!

Mad, remember you are "levling up" each time you try to play one! evil

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Avencast [Re: Draclvr] #297194
03/20/08 04:21 AM
03/20/08 04:21 AM
Texas
nickie Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
nickie  Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
Adept Boomer

Texas
Thanks Drac, sure appreciate you writing about your experience with the game!

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Re: Avencast [Re: nickie] #297300
03/20/08 11:30 AM
03/20/08 11:30 AM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Ahhhh, Drac--then I'd be a Soul Mage as I like to stand back and annihilate puppy

-Roger Caras
Re: Avencast [Re: looney4labs] #297312
03/20/08 11:53 AM
03/20/08 11:53 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi smile

Just had to laugh, L4L, as I am more the type who stands back and GETS annihilated !! rotfl

Cheers.

Mad wave

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Avencast [Re: Mad] #297328
03/20/08 12:20 PM
03/20/08 12:20 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Yes, there is that too. I have learned to dodge well or cast a Protection Spell First! lol

-Roger Caras
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (flotsam, 1 invisible), 261 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users