GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: user43] #302762
03/31/08 12:28 AM
03/31/08 12:28 AM
Greece
Volkana Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Volkana  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Greece
I don't think there is an official release date. It's rather odd because it's been almost 4 months i first saw this game here...

Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: user43] #311263
04/15/08 04:22 PM
04/15/08 04:22 PM
stoke on trent England
dragonuk44 Offline
Addicted Boomer
dragonuk44  Offline
Addicted Boomer

stoke on trent England
I enjoyed the game and apart from grafics the storys are two differant things .I like a good old murder and investigation so I enjoyed it .Syberia is a differant tale all togeather .I enjoyed the game but still prefer games like Still Life ,Agatha Christy etc.Every one to there own poision ....I guess lol Both are point and click ,inventory puzzal solving

Last edited by dragonuk44; 04/15/08 04:23 PM.

s wheeldon
Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: dragonuk44] #311581
04/16/08 08:49 AM
04/16/08 08:49 AM
Greece
Volkana Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Volkana  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Greece
Sinking Island was definitely a murder mystery adventure game. Not just you have to investigate but practically you put all the pieces together to complete the investigation. In other similar games you only ask questions and a cut scene shows up... smile

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: Volkana] #355310
07/04/08 04:12 PM
07/04/08 04:12 PM
Lower Mainland, BC
mission Offline
Settled Boomer
mission  Offline
Settled Boomer

Lower Mainland, BC
Originally Posted By: Volkana

1. The most annoying thing in this game is that your questions to the suspects are exactly the same for every single suspect and you can't skip with any way the dialogs. So you are forced to hear the question about a dozen times, and there are a lot of questions in this game since it's a murder investigation.

2. The other most disturbing thing, although is very usual with Sokal's games, is that you have to walk very large distances and most times twice.

Thank you Volkana thanks for writing this informative review.

Sinking Island is scheduled to be released in NA this fall.

The above 2 points are useful observations thumbsup of the game.

By the way, would you happen to know if Dead Mountaineer's Hotel has similar characteristics??

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: mission] #355365
07/04/08 06:45 PM
07/04/08 06:45 PM
Greece
Volkana Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Volkana  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Greece
Sorry mission... I haven't played that one... wave

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: Volkana] #379095
08/21/08 10:33 PM
08/21/08 10:33 PM
land gal just wanna have fun
Sherryah Offline
Addicted Boomer
Sherryah  Offline
Addicted Boomer

I am just giving my opinion perhaps things will change in sinking island and one of the characters at least will get a personality I care about before the game ends.

For me they are all emotionless and wooden characters that I cannot relate too. Even the dead billionaire had a personality that makes me think the person that bumped him off deserves not to get caught! smirk

The flailing of arm movements of Jack the main character makes me want to tie his arms down each time he speaks. Other characters also copy the same motions many times. hardwall

I read the reviews by others about Sinking island and didn't want to rain on anyones parade. So I debated on staying silent but because I wish someone would have told me I just threw in my two cents worth.

Sorry but I don't believe this is anywhere close
to Syberia's graphics or character animations and again the characters in Syberia 1 and 2 I really cared about. The beautiful animation and fluid movement of the characters body and lip sinc was done beautiful.

As for the lip sinc in Sinking Island there is none. I am glad I chose to read the text on sinking island because the people barely open their mouth, more like a puppet. I read the words instead of watching their mouths because it ruins it further for me.

If I had known what I know now I don't think I would have bought Sinking island the characters are emotionless thus far except for a mute girl its hard to care about any of the characters. For me this is the main reason to play an adventure game to get into the heads of others lives like a good book.

I wish someone would have told me what I am now telling others about my honest opinion on the game I would not have bought it.

However,now to say something positive, The graphics are beautifully done of the interior of the tower hotel. Because it is so Huge of a building with no staff, only suspects found in it, the place is empty like a tomb and it is wasted beauty. The game could have been fun to have animation inside the hotel. A beautiful fountain for instance.

I also looked so foward to this game but even though others dis agree and enjoyed the game, I am not enjoying it as much as I thought I would.

The high tech police PDA that keeps track of suspects, clues etc. is a nice touch. I am trying to say nice things to balance the negative I am feeling.

Another thing there is a torrential rainfall and he is always running in it or characters standing out in the rain, and yet no one ever looks like they are wet. Wind is blowing the tree's fiercly and the characters hair don't even blow.

In short I am struggling with this game but determined to finish it even though I wouldn't mind throwing the main character off the cliff myself, to get some emotion out of the guy.

The only time you hear any emotion is when the scene cuts and he talks to his wife lovingly on the phone and she is never shown. I downloaded the game because I felt like I couldn't wait, now I am paying a price for not waiting. What I love about Boomers is the varied opinions on the games, some people don't care about the things I mentioned, others will care.

I don't think I have ever given a negative review on Boomers yet this is the first time I dread going back into a game just to say I finished it.

The only reason I am speaking up is in hopes others who do game programing will read what gamers like me like to see and expect in a game and where its short comings are. I listed what I liked and what I hated in the game. Just so you can see the other opinion of the game.

In closing even though it seems I am the only one thus far that has voiced this opinion, Sinking Island sunk down to a low level in regards to what I call a fun game. Just my opinion though.

Sherryah

Last edited by Sherryah; 09/04/08 10:29 PM.
Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: Sherryah] #379335
08/22/08 01:12 PM
08/22/08 01:12 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Sherryah, All opinions are welcome. Sorry you aren't enjoying the game.

I have gotten to it yet wave

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: looney4labs] #379621
08/23/08 01:17 AM
08/23/08 01:17 AM
Southern California
Darlene Offline
Adept Boomer
Darlene  Offline
Adept Boomer

Southern California
wave Hey, all!

I echo L4L. Personally, I thoroughly appreciate all those who are willing to voice their opinions of a game. Everyone has a different preference, it's a beautiful part of what makes the world go 'round. An opinion isn't right or wrong...it's simply an opinion. And being able to read many different opinions is part of what helps me decide about whether or not to purchase a particular game. I thank you, 'Boomies, for your diverse opinions. smile

Woohoo and booyah! smile Have an easy peasy day!
Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: Darlene] #379625
08/23/08 02:38 AM
08/23/08 02:38 AM
Sherryah Offline
Addicted Boomer
Sherryah  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Thanks all now I don't feel like I have done something wrong in speaking out my opinion. blush

Having written the negative feelings I am experiencing with the game, hardwall would it be wrong to hope that you buy the game anyway? think just so I won't feel so alone? wave
You know Looney misery likes Company lol

Besides I did list some positive comments on Sinking Island, and maybe the negatives I listed you don't care about in that case you will like the game. thumbsup

Besides I have a selfish reason, slapforehead

I am stuck in the game and looks like I will be forced to do a new restart of the game, which I want to avoid like the plague. rolleyes

Sherryah

Last edited by Sherryah; 08/23/08 02:40 AM.
Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: Sherryah] #379705
08/23/08 09:59 AM
08/23/08 09:59 AM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Sherryah, I really like to read reviews when people say specifically what they likes and didn't like. Like you said, what bothered you may not bother me at all, and the features that I like, you may loath.

Have you asked for a hint over in the hints forum? They are wonder workers over there luck

-Roger Caras
Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: looney4labs] #380194
08/24/08 09:43 AM
08/24/08 09:43 AM
Sherryah Offline
Addicted Boomer
Sherryah  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Yes L4L Chief tried to help me but suggested a restart may be in order. So looks like I will have to bite the bullet and do the restart game. Good part at least I am familar with the layout of this massive hotel. My hope is the game may get better after 1st day.

Sherryah

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: Sherryah] #380312
08/24/08 01:28 PM
08/24/08 01:28 PM
Greece
Volkana Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Volkana  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Greece
Of course all opinions are welcome and of course the thinks i and somebody else like may be very annoying to somebody else. Apart of the dialogue part (can not skip the dialogues) i liked this game.
Can i help you Sherryah with your problem during your play? I can't find your post in the Hints forum....

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: Volkana] #381131
08/26/08 10:02 AM
08/26/08 10:02 AM
Sherryah Offline
Addicted Boomer
Sherryah  Offline
Addicted Boomer

How sweet of you volkana, wave
Thank you for your offer. thanks

do you have vista by any chance? think

I really need a save game to end day 1. crazy
I have spoken to everyone. Here is where I am stuck thus far.

So glad you have won this because I am stuck. I read the walkthru to see what I left out perhaps you or someone else can help me. help

I Click on Hubert de Nolent's declarations. But only have 9 declarations not 10. what could I have not done? think

I got fingerprints, footprints, broken pearls, chaotic tracks, etc.

Walkthru says the below. I re read the walkthru and just don't know what dialogue I am missing. What evidence is missing to get declaration 10?

Click and drag his 10th declaration "Nolent saw BaĂŻna push Walter Jones off of the cliff" to the left.

Lorenzo declaration 6 says he saw Baina assaulted by Water Jones and she pushed him off the cliff.

Under progression I click on what was the cause of Jones death

I click on declarations of Lorenzo but I cannot put anything on the left side except for where the D image is, I put the file of lorenzo that links him to the building of the tower. Is that what goes there in the D slot?

When I try and put anything else in the empty boxes, I am unable to put any declaration of Lorenzo in any box. What am I doing wrong please? What is to be in Lorenzo box under WHAT CAUSED JONES DEATH? trying to put declaration no. 6 there. This is where I am stuck. thanks in advance.

I finished the puzzle who was at belvidere tourtise and voice of PDA told me I was correct. This is the yellow piece of puzzle.

I am now working on the black one what was the cause of Jones death? But as I try and drag the no. 6 declaration of Lorenzo into the D box, it doesn't allow me to put in a declaration. The only thing I can put in it is a file but that is wrong. What goes in the D box and the other boxes?

What am I doing wrong? All the boxes have no letters by them under the D box and no letters such as P or M etc. just empty boxes. Please tell me what should be going here. I am trying to get attorney Huberts no. 10 declaration as the walkthru says. Please tell me what should be in this box. thanks or really need a Vista save game for this to end day 1.

Sherryah

Last edited by Sherryah; 08/26/08 10:29 AM.
Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: Sherryah] #381182
08/26/08 11:36 AM
08/26/08 11:36 AM
Greece
Volkana Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Volkana  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Greece
I'll PM to you Sherryah. Let us do this via PM cause this is not the right place to start this conversation. Check your PM please wave

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: Volkana] #381192
08/26/08 11:53 AM
08/26/08 11:53 AM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Thanks Volkana wave

Sherryah, don't forget you can use the hints forum and get all kinds of help wave

-Roger Caras
Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: looney4labs] #381218
08/26/08 12:59 PM
08/26/08 12:59 PM
Sherryah Offline
Addicted Boomer
Sherryah  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Please forgive me L4l I got excited when Volkana offered me help. Didn't mean to write all that, and now she is trying to help me through PM. wave

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: Sherryah] #381264
08/26/08 02:48 PM
08/26/08 02:48 PM
A
AmberSumiko Offline
Shy Boomer
AmberSumiko  Offline
Shy Boomer
A

I am downloading Sinking Island as I type this! I'm VERY excited to play it, and it seems like I've been waiting for years for it to come out. I'm not expecting it to be as good as Syberia, but hope that it stands above Paradise. Actually, I think no matter what the reviews said, I would purchase any Benoit Sokal game.. he is fantastic!

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: AmberSumiko] #381272
08/26/08 03:18 PM
08/26/08 03:18 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Amber, do come let us know what you think puppy

-Roger Caras
Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: looney4labs] #381434
08/26/08 10:13 PM
08/26/08 10:13 PM
A
AmberSumiko Offline
Shy Boomer
AmberSumiko  Offline
Shy Boomer
A

I've just finished the 2nd puzzle piece.. that's about 2 hours into the game or so, and I think it's quite good! The environment is quite dark, and the artwork is gorgeous of course. I expect no less from Benoit Sokal! Lovers of architecture, and art deco will love the design of the hotel.

It does play a bit like an Agatha Christie mystery, but more interactive I would say. You have to constantly talk to people to gather information, take pictures of evidence, pick up inventory here and there, even take fingerprints/footprints. Instead of chapters, there are "puzzle pieces" you have to complete; a question that solves a part of the murder, then you advance.

I'm only about 1/10th finished and I'm enjoying it so far. A downside is that you can't double-click to quickly change screens/environments. So you have to make your character run, and wait a few seconds.. it's not that bad, only when you're running from one side of the island to the other!

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: jedi valius] #381490
08/27/08 04:45 AM
08/27/08 04:45 AM
West London, UK
JennyP Offline
Adept Boomer
JennyP  Offline
Adept Boomer

West London, UK
This is on the way - I am SO glad there is an untimed mode so I can relax & enjoy the game.

When in doubt, cuddle a catcatrub
Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: JennyP] #389551
09/10/08 09:03 PM
09/10/08 09:03 PM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
Thanks, Volkana

What a nice review by you...This is another game I have not loaded yet...BUT...So Happy for a positive review by a Game boomer Can't wait to play devilchili

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"
Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: JennyP] #392957
09/16/08 06:49 PM
09/16/08 06:49 PM
U.K.
C
cris53 Offline
Settled Boomer
cris53  Offline
Settled Boomer
C

U.K.
I just finished it and I have to say I agree with some of the complaints made by you Sherryah, Characters keep jiggleing(?) about but their lips don't move. I always yearned to visit the Maldives but if the weather is that bad I'll stick to Scunthorpe (English joke) But for all that it is very detailed and beautiful. I did find that because I did things in a different order than the walk through, the declarations were numbered differently. I did finish it though which is more than I can say about Dracula 3, which I was enjoying more untill I got STUCK!

The light at the end of the tunnel is the light of an oncoming train. H.M.H.B.
Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: cris53] #395395
09/21/08 09:18 PM
09/21/08 09:18 PM
Sherryah Offline
Addicted Boomer
Sherryah  Offline
Addicted Boomer

I haven't changed my opinion of the game. Even with Volkana generous help and MaG's walkthrough I just find it hard to stay interested in the game. For me to enjoy an adventure game I have to care about the people and that especially means the main character I am playing. This guy in my opinion has no personality except when he talks to his wife on the telephone then he appears to be a loving husband missing his wife.

If I could tie his arms down it may help, he moves like a bird ready to take off. lol I don't know why the programmers made the animation of the main character weird its one of the things about the game that gets on my nerves. slapforehead

Sherryah
finished and enjoyed recently Murder in the abbey, Jack Keane, Art of murder. Next game to play will be Nikopol.

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW [Re: Sherryah] #426180
11/21/08 09:17 PM
11/21/08 09:17 PM
The Country
Winfrey Offline
BAAG Specialist
Winfrey  Offline
BAAG Specialist

The Country
I just finished the game-- to start off positive the graphics were great- voices were ok too.
The major problem I had with this game is that is was to me just a click and listen click and listen click and listen. I grew tired of listening to him ask everyone the same things-- there were a few puzzles thrown in - but the major part of the game was click and listen. I was very disappointed. sleep

Would that I could be the peacemaker in your soul that I might turn the discord and the rivalry of your elements into oneness and melody
Gibran
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (flotsam, 1 invisible), 261 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users