GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
The Adventure Shop Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#30291 - 04/06/07 06:58 PM Re: Disappointed With The Awakened
Rushes Online   content
The Three Pipe Moderator
True Blue Boomer

Loc: UK
Joy, did you know that Scratches has an option in the Setup where you can change the gamemode to Slideshow, instead of 360? A very nice feature, I thought. smile

#30292 - 04/06/07 07:01 PM Re: Disappointed With The Awakened
Jhart320 Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: PA. USA
Yes, I did..however, the way the door went up and down when you needed to get into a room wasn't good for me..boy, I sound like such a whiner...sorry, I just have to get it straight in my mind exactly the type of game I can't play. Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Joy

#30293 - 04/06/07 11:30 PM Re: Disappointed With The Awakened
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jhart320:
I am still confused as to why Scratches and Awakened bothered me so much and Da Vinci didn't bother me at all. I need to figure that out for future games purchases. I haven't played any of the games you mentioned.
Secrets of Da Vinci uses central cursor panning and Scratches uses soft edge-panning. With central cursor panning, the cursor always seems to stay in the exact center of the screen. If you move your mouse, the screen moves. Move the mouse fast, the screen moves fast. Move the mouse slowly, the screen moves slowly. As long as you aren't playing some really old game, central cursor gives you very precise control of when and how much the screen moves. (With old games like Egypt 2, the movement may be too fast to control because the game was made for a much slower computer.) The more control you have over when and how fast the screen moves, the less apt you are to get sick.

With soft edge-panning, the screen starts to move when your cursor gets near the edge of the screen. Predicting exactly when and how fast it will move can be tricky, and you tend to get movement either too slow or too fast. It's also a problem when you overshoot and want to move in the opposite direction. In Scratches, you're having a lot of up and down because you have to pan down to click the doorknobs.

Another game that uses soft edge-panning is Sherlock Holmes: Mystery of the Mummy. It doesn't have the problem with the doors, but in order to access the inventory you have to click a spot near the bottom of the screen. And every time you do that the camera pans downward. So you may want to avoid that one.

If Secrets of Da Vinci was OK for you, then any of the other games made by Kheops would probably be OK for you. (Return to Mysterious Island, Voyage, Destination: Treasure Island, Safecracker, Echo:Secret of the Lost Cavern, and they have a couple of upcoming games). Also Aura and Sacred Rings use a similar interface to the Kheops games. So does the latest Atlantis game (Atlantis: The Sacred Legacy)

And any 3rd person game (where you see your character walking around the screen instead of the screen moving) should be OK.

#30294 - 04/07/07 05:37 AM Re: Disappointed With The Awakened
Jhart320 Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: PA. USA
Oh, my goodness, bravo you are so helpful! Thank, thank you for all the information. I am going to print that out and be on the look out now. I can't thank you enough! praise

Joy

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
15 registered (gremlin, Cue, Marian, kjos, Iurii, RebKean, Chuck M, rmt, lanlynk, 1 invisible), 107 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Gey, Moonbat, kooker1957, ctillis, GreenBoat
8496 Registered Users