GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The Lost Crown ending - Possible spoilers [Re: raylinstephens] #306647
04/06/08 03:00 PM
04/06/08 03:00 PM
Germany
seagul Offline OP
Settled Boomer
seagul  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Germany
Originally Posted By: raylinstephens
I cannot locate the thread - looked through 7 pages - where people were deciding about what the ending meant. But my opinion is different from the one that suggested this all took place in a laboratory. I also don't agree that it is all a computer generated story.

Oh, please, try to remember, where the thread is. Sounds really interesting!
I don't think that all took place in the labs,
Click to reveal..
but Mr. Hadden surely can see somehow every step Nigel takes.

Last edited by seagul; 04/06/08 03:01 PM.
Re: The Lost Crown ending - Possible spoilers [Re: seagul] #306649
04/06/08 03:03 PM
04/06/08 03:03 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
seagul. I believe this is the thread. lol I merged her post into this thread since she couldn't find it.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: The Lost Crown ending - Possible spoilers [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #306653
04/06/08 03:12 PM
04/06/08 03:12 PM
Germany
seagul Offline OP
Settled Boomer
seagul  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Germany
Oh, how frustrating! I thought someone out there has the FINAL SOLUTION. hardwall
Still playing it for the second time (it's a very long game, indeed!), and I can't figure out the whole story. woozy
Like in real life, I have the impression I miss something very fundamental. think

Re: The Lost Crown ending - Possible spoilers [Re: seagul] #306763
04/06/08 05:44 PM
04/06/08 05:44 PM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
I imagine that Jonathan has been following this thread and cackling away to himself - for Only He Knows the Truth. eek

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: The Lost Crown ending - Possible spoilers [Re: Rushes] #306791
04/06/08 06:24 PM
04/06/08 06:24 PM
Sumrall, MS
raylinstephens Offline
Addicted Boomer
raylinstephens  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sumrall, MS
I am thankful that you moved it for me Ana wave

I had already guessed it was in the past while I was playing and I wonder if that isn't why it is in black & white - or a dream-state which would also explain black & white. I have read and heard that people cannot dream in color.
Click to reveal..

It is my opinion that he was in an induced dream-state and visited the town of Saxton. Lucy was then needed to bring him out of this dream-state. I just can't figure why he could hear the telephone, lol.

It will be interesting to hear what Jonathan had planned when he made this game. He certainly went to a lot of trouble including all those websites made just for the game. He said it would be worth the extra delay and it certainly was IMHO.

No matter what Jonathan had in mind, the game was wonderful!

Linda

Last edited by raylinstephens; 04/06/08 06:29 PM.

So many games, so little time.
Re: The Lost Crown ending - Possible spoilers [Re: seagul] #306804
04/06/08 06:57 PM
04/06/08 06:57 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: seagul
Originally Posted By: raylinstephens
I cannot locate the thread - looked through 7 pages - where people were deciding about what the ending meant. But my opinion is different from the one that suggested this all took place in a laboratory. I also don't agree that it is all a computer generated story.

Oh, please, try to remember, where the thread is. Sounds really interesting!
I don't think that all took place in the labs,
Click to reveal..
but Mr. Hadden surely can see somehow every step Nigel takes.

Two of my posts (#304593 and #304624) on page 3 of this thread were about the story being a computer simulation. Also Ivinia's post #302308 on page 2 (which inspired mine).

Re: The Lost Crown ending - Possible spoilers [Re: Rushes] #306924
04/07/08 12:39 AM
04/07/08 12:39 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Celtic Lark Offline
Settled Boomer
Celtic Lark  Offline
Settled Boomer

Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By: Rushes
I imagine that Jonathan has been following this thread and cackling away to himself - for Only He Knows the Truth. eek

I just finished the game tonight (finally!) and was able to read this thread. I've been dying to read it but avoided it so as not to spoil anything for myself. So as soon as I finished, I ran here to catch up and I kept thinking exactly the same thought as Rushes.

Can't remember exactly who suggested what but I had many of the same thoughts that the rest of you expressed about what exactly was going on in this game.

Click to reveal..
It didn't occur to me that Nigel was an avatar of some sort himself, but I was thinking along the lines of him walking through a time warp when he broke into the files at Hadden and Saxton being some sort of world manipulated by Hadden. Coincidentally, I've been doing some reading on the soul's ability to exist in parallel universes and during the game I briefly wondered if Jonathan had done some similar research and maybe that was where the game was headed.

I liked the theory that...

Click to reveal..
...the game was in black and white because Saxton was generated from old b&w photos and that's why those rips were by the two churches and the rusting/negative damage happened in the rain. I was thinking that the rips were an indication of a time shift but the rust-looking spots had me completely baffled.

I just happened to have set up a nifty new monitor this afternoon and I thought it was messing up the colors when the rust colored spots suddenly appeared. lol Then I thought maybe it was blood but Nigel walked through it, not over it like he would if it was a stain on the ground. I kept making Nigel walk through it, trying to figure it out and finally decided it was a mystery and to just carry on. I like the theory that it was photo negative damage due to the rain. And Jonathan has experience as a photographer, so it would make sense that he would go that route.

Last edited by Celtic Lark; 04/07/08 12:57 PM. Reason: negatives don't rust

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

URU KI #03564317
Re: The Lost Crown ending - Possible spoilers [Re: Celtic Lark] #306938
04/07/08 02:24 AM
04/07/08 02:24 AM
Southern California
Darlene Offline
Adept Boomer
Darlene  Offline
Adept Boomer

Southern California
wave Hi, all! Well...just finished the game, and the first thing that came to my mind was.... What!?

Woohoo and booyah! smile Have an easy peasy day!
Re: The Lost Crown ending - Possible spoilers [Re: Darlene] #307156
04/07/08 01:06 PM
04/07/08 01:06 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Since yesterday I've had a lot of thoughts but nothing seems to fit neatly. I've read with interest everyone's comments. Some more food for thought:
Click to reveal..
Discrepancies to do with Nigels's age, date of employment have already been mentioned.

Lucy has a student card to tell us that she is 'contemporary' between 2007 & 2010 yet her train ticket shows a 2 part return ticket from Sedgefield to Sedgefield? that seems to be stamped 30.10 05? crazy She doesn't believe in ghosts but seems to believe in looking into the past & future. Her aim seems to be looking for the lost cats but later in the game she spoke on the phone (that wasn't connected)to Hadden - who told her to pull Nigel back when the time was ready?

Hadden Industries was obviously based in London - which seemed to be where Nigel caught the train from (or thought he did), also the telephone number on the back of his identity card has an inner London code. The website in one of the printouts he stole has a website address (not likely I would have thought in the year he would have stolen it!)- if you check out the website it is a virtual present day site advertising the exact equipment that was sent to Nigel - therefore he recieved from Hadden future equipment in the past, if that makes sense! Also Hadden Industries, according to the website, is now based in Saxton Harbour!

The train station (old advert) & station master are from a much earlier period in time - I'm sure, as much as we criticise our rail service, that there were no steam trains used except for the tourist industry! Once you step onto the 'decking' over the fens you are in a nature reserve created in 1973. I think it's probably much later in time than that as the picture of the crabs, & the poisonous flower are crossed through indicatiing that they are no longer features of the reserve - but you still see the flowers in colour!!!

The Saxton Snappers competition urges you to ..."grab your SLR or digital device" - 1990's at least?

The newspapers found in the cave between Saxton shore & beach are in good condition, do not mention a date but you can see by the adverts & the reference to 'radio listings' that they probably precede TV days?

I'm totally baffled by most of this but one theory I thought of is that Nigel was sent 'through the chasm' to ghosthunt & exorcise the 'spirits' to prevent them being inadvertantly dragged into the present world via the chasm - as according to Mr Hare's report. The chasm seemed to be opened by the spring tides - but as reported in the newspaper they flooded a graveyard & polluted the water with rotting corpses - were these the 'entities' seen in the photos Nigel stole?

Re: The Lost Crown ending - Possible spoilers [Re: chrissie] #318752
04/29/08 11:52 AM
04/29/08 11:52 AM
Cleveland, OH
Ivinia Offline
Settled Boomer
Ivinia  Offline
Settled Boomer

Cleveland, OH
Sorry to kick up an old thread, but I saw something a bit interesting the other day. My apologies if someone already mentioned this! smile

I was watching movie Contact starring Jodie Foster. For those that haven't seen it, there is a mysterious man with loads of money and technology at his disposal that finances Foster's quest to find life in other galaxies. He's a very secretive character in the movie and a bit eccentric. He 'lives' on a plane so that he can always remain mobile. Very few people actually get to meet him.

What I found interesting was that his name was S.R. Hadden and he ran Hadden Industries.

Re: The Lost Crown ending - Possible spoilers [Re: Ivinia] #318774
04/29/08 12:51 PM
Brazil
Phoebe Offline
Addicted Boomer
Phoebe  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Brazil
Ivinia is very interesting, i watch this movie Contact and i remember of name S.R Hadden..

I finished that game last night, and think that maybe will be goes to have a continuation of the game think nigel and lucy go to work together in next game think

Love Maria hearts

Yes,though i go through the valley of deep shade,i will have no fear of evil;for you are with me, your rod and your support are my comfort. Salmo23:4
Re: The Lost Crown ending - Possible spoilers [Re: Ivinia] #318775
PA, USA
M
misa Offline
Addicted Boomer
misa  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

PA, USA
Ivinia, that's very interesting!

Re: The Lost Crown ending - Possible spoilers [Re: Ivinia] #335097
05/28/08 12:59 PM
05/28/08 12:59 PM
Washington DC, USA
C
cutiechix37 Offline
Junior Boomer
cutiechix37  Offline
Junior Boomer
C

Washington DC, USA
Hi Ivinia!
Thank you so much for your earlier observations and thoughts of the game! I think you are probably right with the idea of the photographs!

At first I thought the "tears" were symbolic for "a tear through the fabric of time", but the rust colors made no sense to me. I'm fascinated by this thread, and although I'm coming in late, I'll check back in the future!

Did anyone notice the connection of Nanny Noah and the name "The Ark" on her house. Noah's Ark. But I can't seem to put together how that would be significant to the game.

Thanks!

Re: The Lost Crown ending - Possible spoilers [Re: cutiechix37] #335104
05/28/08 01:11 PM
05/28/08 01:11 PM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
Hi cutiechix,

That's probably just Nanny Noah's dry sense of humour. wink

Re: The Lost Crown ending - Possible spoilers [Re: Rushes] #335161
05/28/08 03:21 PM
05/28/08 03:21 PM
Germany
seagul Offline OP
Settled Boomer
seagul  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Germany
Quote:
I've played the whole game, and am not certain of Lucy Reubans. Can you help? Is she in "our" time frame, or from the past? Is she on our side, or not? Remember her sneaking around by the water tower talking with someone? What was the significance of that?

Hallo cutiechix37,
Lucy talked by the tower with
Click to reveal..
her brother, who worked undercover to solve the mystery of the missing cats. You know him als Alex Spitmoor, the gruntly journalist. Alex thought, Danvers could be the catnapper, but Lucy told him by the tower that his innocent.

About the timeline:
Click to reveal..
look at the date at which Lucys is recruited by hadden Industries (you can see it at the end of the game: she seems to live in our time.

Last edited by seagul; 05/28/08 03:24 PM.
Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: Jenny100] #347310
06/18/08 10:45 PM
06/18/08 10:45 PM
shadowphile Offline
Junior Boomer
shadowphile  Offline
Junior Boomer

My eyes have been peeled open! I puzzled over the deliberately torn/splotchy graphics and wrote off some of the things like the blood spots on the rocks to the kinds of programming shortcuts one usually finds in adventure games, but I did not consider that
Click to reveal..
everything might be some kind of alternate reality that may not follow traditional rules of reality.

I've got my own weird evidence I've not seen mentioned:
On the wall of photos in the room of death, two pics show Nigel and Lucy together at a carnival, with real mechanical rides all bedecked in colored lights, OBVIOUSLY not part of the Fayre. All I can say is: WTHeck?
The other bit of weird evidence is that the payphone has strange modem-like sounds instead of the normal dial-tone, same as the background music for the computer printouts. Evidence suggesting that the phone is either hacked into by Hadden, or is some kind of link from the 'dream-world' into the outside world via the Hadden company servers, which would explain why Hadden was able to simply connect to the disconnected phone in the Harbour Cottage.
Despite all the evidence though, I still stand back and concur that some of the main plot lines don't make sense, regardless of the scenarios painted out. First the people seem to be helping Nigel find the crown. In particular the ghosts deliberately hand Nigel clues. Then he is warned that all is not what it seems, but it IS what it turns out to be what it seems.
Morgan Mankle in particular is ill-fitted. She seems somewhat older than Lucy, who described her as a bully in school.
Hardacre is killed, supposedly because he possesses the crown. (how is one killed by a sickle and not shed any blood?) Then the crown is not where he died, but hidden away. Nigel, the thief himself, got all the way into town and hid the crown without harm. Maybe it took time for the guardians to manifest and by then the crown was in different hands. Personally I think ghosts are insubstantial, even in this game, and somebody alive killed him.
If Hadden is controlling everything though, all bets are off and anything illogical can be explained by his duex-ex-machina interference, which is why I do not prefer that angle.

Last edited by BrownEyedTigre; 06/18/08 10:47 PM. Reason: changed a word
Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: shadowphile] #347313
06/18/08 10:49 PM
06/18/08 10:49 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
welcome to GameBoomers shadowphile

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #347564
06/19/08 10:36 AM
06/19/08 10:36 AM
Germany
seagul Offline OP
Settled Boomer
seagul  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Germany
welcome shadowphile,

great to hear your ideas about "the lost crown"!
Click to reveal..
Your remark about the photos is very interesting. I too noticed the modem-like sounds. This seems to hint in the direction of an alternative reality; meanwhile Nigel’s body never left the laboratory of Hadden Industries.
I was surprised about the people of Saxton who helped Nigel and later were angry. Perhaps they thought he would act different. The dreamlike sequence, in which Nigel is part of the painting of the Ager brothers seems to point in this direction.

I still don' t know what to think about the story of the game - hope Jonathan Boakes gives a statement soon. Perhaps after the release of the game in europe???

Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: seagul] #352616
06/28/08 06:01 PM
06/28/08 06:01 PM
land gal just wanna have fun
Sherryah Offline
Addicted Boomer
Sherryah  Offline
Addicted Boomer

land gal just wanna have fun
I am one of those people who like all loose threads tied up at the finish of a good book or adventure game. Since I was left feeling confused at the way the game ended, It took some of the enjoyment away for me. However, in saying that I still would buy it again because it was fun playing it, especially the ghost hunting in the house.

Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: Sherryah] #378626
08/20/08 08:25 PM
08/20/08 08:25 PM
hunched over my computer
wysewomon Offline
Addicted Boomer
wysewomon  Offline
Addicted Boomer

hunched over my computer
Hi there. I just finished TLC last night so I'm kicking up this old thread rather than start a new one.

First, I thought it was a fabulous game. But I am disturbed by some of the plot elements that just didn't make sense.

Click to reveal..
I hadn't thought of the whole thing taking place in an alternate reality or computer simulation. I'll have to mull that over to see if it makes any sense to me.

I am also confused by the way that
Click to reveal..
the ghosts and the townspeople seem to help Nigel find the Crown, and in fact, are eager to help him do it. Nanny Noah says repeatedly, "He could be the one who could change everything," as if that would be a good thing. But then when Nigel does find the Crown, no one (with the exception of Bob Tawny and the Reubenses) will admit to knowing him or wants to have anything to do with him. What's up with that?

As for the catnapper
Click to reveal..
I also am not convinced it was really Gruel. Yeah, okay, he was a loon, but he didn't seem like a dangerous loon.

And what was up with
Click to reveal..
the vicar of Northfield?? he says the portrait on the wall behind him--which is clearly one of the Agers--was an ancestor of his from way back. I really expected that to have some significance but it never did. In fact, I expected to find out the vicar was the catnapper. Also, when we take the funeral announcement to Nanny Noah she says,"there's a new vicar already?" or something like that. Yet the Vicar says he's been there 30 years.

It seemed to me like
Click to reveal..
the whole thing was somewhat rushed from the time we took the crown (Wow, I would have liked a way NOT to do that!!). I really didn't like the Dea Ex Machina ending, myself. But the rapidity with which the ending occurred as well as the fact that all it took was Nigel's saying he wanted to put it back for that to transport him to the caverns does kind of point to the whole thing's being a simulation or experiment of some kind. I think.

Did anyone else notice that
Click to reveal..
when we were in the cavern putting the crown back, surrounded by ghostly figures, one of the ghostly figures was Lucy?

I think those are all my thoughts for the time being. I may have to play this one again and pay more attention to certain details.

WW

"So then he says it's enough to take aim! What's that supposed to mean?!?"

Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: wysewomon] #378714
08/21/08 03:33 AM
08/21/08 03:33 AM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
Originally Posted By: wysewomon
And what was up with
Click to reveal..
the vicar of Northfield?? he says the portrait on the wall behind him--which is clearly one of the Agers--was an ancestor of his from way back. I really expected that to have some significance but it never did. In fact, I expected to find out the vicar was the catnapper. Also, when we take the funeral announcement to Nanny Noah she says,"there's a new vicar already?" or something like that. Yet the Vicar says he's been there 30 years.

Nigel seems to cross through different time periods. If you remember, at one point Nigel reads an old newsclipping recounting the deaths of Robert & Katherine Karswell in a house fire (? I'm fairly certain it was a fire, someone correct me if I'm wrong), but they were very much alive when he visited them at their cottage.

Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: wysewomon] #378745
08/21/08 06:53 AM
08/21/08 06:53 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Did anyone else notice that
Click to reveal..
when we were in the cavern putting the crown back, surrounded by ghostly figures, one of the ghostly figures was Lucy?

I sure did. It confused me at first. But that's one of the reasons I'm inclined to think the whole thing was a simulation.

Quote:
I am also confused by the way that
Click to reveal..
the ghosts and the townspeople seem to help Nigel find the Crown, and in fact, are eager to help him do it. Nanny Noah says repeatedly, "He could be the one who could change everything," as if that would be a good thing. But then when Nigel does find the Crown, no one (with the exception of Bob Tawny and the Reubenses) will admit to knowing him or wants to have anything to do with him. What's up with that?

Click to reveal..
Maybe they wanted him to do something else -- like free the spirits that were trapped or defeat the Agers? Remember how at certain points in the game, after Nigel had accomplished something along those lines, that there was more color in the game. I noticed it mainly at two points -- in Nanny Noah's house, the second time Nigel was invited in, and when the blue sky appeared.

Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: Rushes] #378828
08/21/08 10:32 AM
08/21/08 10:32 AM
hunched over my computer
wysewomon Offline
Addicted Boomer
wysewomon  Offline
Addicted Boomer

hunched over my computer
Originally Posted By: Rushes
And what was up with
Click to reveal..

Nigel seems to cross through different time periods. If you remember, at one point Nigel reads an old newsclipping recounting the deaths of Robert & Katherine Karswell in a house fire (? I'm fairly certain it was a fire, someone correct me if I'm wrong), but they were very much alive when he visited them at their cottage.

Wow, never saw that! Where was it? Do you remember?

Click to reveal..
I suppose the theory of having different time periods existing simultaneously could explain the Agers as well (4 men of the same name always referred to as "brothers" yet clearly not of the same times). Yet for me it doesn't jibe with the story of Grindle and Granwulf, which gave the impression that you would have a bunch of incredibly long-lived people watching out for the Crown. That's what I thought the folk of Saxton were, not all ghosts.

DH has a problem with the Agers ultimately in that he thinks that having such evil men going about a task my such evil means watching over the Crown infers that their purpose is innately evil, which would mean the Crown was meant to be found. But I don;t know that I agree with that.

I may have more thoughts later; right now I'm foggy and still on my first cup of coffee. razz

WW

Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: wysewomon] #378847
08/21/08 11:31 AM
08/21/08 11:31 AM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
The newspaper can be found in the washroom bin, during the nighttime visit to the Saxton museum. smile

Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: Rushes] #378863
08/21/08 12:10 PM
08/21/08 12:10 PM
hunched over my computer
wysewomon Offline
Addicted Boomer
wysewomon  Offline
Addicted Boomer

hunched over my computer
Missed that entirely!

WW

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 230 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users