GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Niburu puzzle puzzling? [Re: looney4labs] #318262
04/28/08 03:02 PM
04/28/08 03:02 PM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

I just finished this game because it was part of the Adventure Company's cheap package. I first played it some time ago and seeing it included in this collection, I simply shrugged and said, "what do you expect for this price?"

My reaction to the first play obviously was not one of high regard. However, I was pleasantly surprised the second time around. Perhaps it was because of a succession of clunkers this one looked so good. The voice acting was not great but consider the guy in Black Mirror. Now that was bad, very bad. In Black Mirror the guy was so flat and completely lacking in emotion. He ended every conversation with the same stupid remark, something like "I think I'll go now" It reminded me of a stupid Partridge Family disco song. What about the guy in Operation Wintersun? Are we to believe that you can place a novice in a life threatening situation, for an entire game, and the guy's affect is flat? There was no emotion in his voice none at all. You expect the guy has to be scared out of his mind. Perhaps 007 could react that way. For him it is just business as usual. So in that regard Martin did just fine. The accents were lame but then again if they hired a real actor to read the lines with emotion we couldn't afford the game.

As for the lack of music. Not an issue I don't need to hear music while I am exploring a lost temple or poking through an abandoned mine. I have walked miles through mountains and forest and not once was there a band around playing theme music. special effects, the sound of creaking boards? Yes that happens in life and those were done fairly well.

The puzzles were ok we already discussed the maiming of varmits and that was beyond ridiculous when a few extra explosives would have done the job. As far as sticking a shovel down your jeans that has always been part of adventuring. It is forgivable as every game does that. Where is the brave developer who hands their character a backpack? It would be nice to see that, once.

Nibiru had a reasonable length and perhaps longer than many. consider Still Life that was cut real short and Overclocked to name a few. Then there are games like Keepsake who's only purpose is to throw a puzzle at you. It's entire story is told in a five minute cut scene at the end. I suppose they felt after all those puzzles you needed to know why you bothered. No Nibiru's story was fairly well done and more substantial than a lot of games.

Bottom line it was a pretty good game that compares well to what else is offered.

Last edited by oldmariner; 04/28/08 03:08 PM.
Re: Nibiru fresh review... [Re: Tomer] #318391
04/28/08 06:49 PM
04/28/08 06:49 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I liked Nibiru pretty well, apart from two things: 1) that Rubik's Cube puzzle (without a WT I would have ended up then and there uninstalling the game); and 2) the ending (maybe it made sense to wiser minds than myself, but I didn't understand it and felt let down by it). wave

Re: Nibiru fresh review... [Re: Marian] #319338
04/30/08 12:23 PM
04/30/08 12:23 PM
The Outer Limits
Cue Offline
Graduate Boomer
Cue  Offline
Graduate Boomer

The Outer Limits
I agree with a lot of the comments in the original review by Tomer. I recently finished playing NiBiRu, part of the Adventure Pack. You can't beat five games for $20 even if they aren't top-notch adventures. I found the game play frustrating at times and the solutions to some puzzles rather far fetched. Dialog triggers required you to visit an individual several times, without accomplishing anything else, before game play could continue. The two illogical head-beaters I didn't care for were...
Click to reveal..
1. Retrieving the documents from the server. I spent way too much time in the office carrying around the slip of paper in my pocket wondering what else I had to do to gain access to the document server. I had assumed I would have to enter the code on a keyboard but I kept getting the infernal message "I don't know what the code is". In desperation I stuck the paper on the machine and it worked!

2. The rat puzzle. I didn't realize I even needed a rat until I started putting inventory together and built the trap. I thought it was in poor taste to detonate this creature. I believe Martin said something like "He didn't feel a thing". From what I remember the rat served as transport through the crevice to some type of counterweight on the other side of the door.

In my opinion, the ending seemed to try to tie in the belief that alien life had a hand in early civilizations on Earth similar to the plot of the movie Stargate. How else could those pyramids be built? rolleyes
All in all, the game was enjoyable but I don't think I'll classify it as a "replayer".

Did you ever stop to think and then forget to start again?
Re: Niburu puzzle puzzling? [Re: Becky] #357450
07/09/08 05:28 AM
07/09/08 05:28 AM
Denver
kiraalt Offline
Settled Boomer
kiraalt  Offline
Settled Boomer

Denver
I just finished this game yesterday. I agree with all the comments above. It was good, and worth playing, but not great. I was thankful for the walkthroughs! I found it hard to really like and empathize with our hero, Martin. The other characters didn't do much for me either and in some places I found them downright annoying! Many of the tasks and dialogue felt somewhat tedious to me. I think they could've done much more with developing the overall premise and storyline, which was intriguing. Would I ever replay it - (for me, that is the test of if I really liked it)? At this point, probably not. On a scale of 1-10 I would give this somewhere around a 7.

"If the players are all gone ... is the Game Over?"
Re: Niburu puzzle puzzling? [Re: kiraalt] #357732
07/09/08 04:26 PM
07/09/08 04:26 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Kiraalt, what was it that made Martin hard to emphathize with?

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Niburu puzzle puzzling? [Re: looney4labs] #357792
07/09/08 06:36 PM
07/09/08 06:36 PM
Denver
kiraalt Offline
Settled Boomer
kiraalt  Offline
Settled Boomer

Denver
Unlike Samuel in Black Mirror, I couldn't totally buy that he had any real deep personal motivation for helping his uncle and doing what he did. I felt at times he was gruff and abrasive. No offense to anyone - he just never won me completely over personally. I did feel bad for him at the end.

"If the players are all gone ... is the Game Over?"
Re: Niburu puzzle puzzling? [Re: kiraalt] #358074
07/10/08 11:08 AM
07/10/08 11:08 AM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Ahh, thanks. Haven't played this one yet, but it always interests me why some characters are more appealing than others wave

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Niburu puzzle puzzling? [Re: looney4labs] #358488
07/11/08 01:17 AM
07/11/08 01:17 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi smile

Playing adventure games for me is a relaxation and a form of entertainment.

I don't actually expect too much logic or realism though, any more than I do when I watch a movie grin

So, for me, Niribu was yet another adventure game that I found to be immersive and thoroughly enjoyable thumbsup

Cheers.

Mad wave

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 228 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users