GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: Rushes] #318811
04/29/08 02:27 PM
04/29/08 02:27 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Look through notes & recap on game.
Characters: yourself visiting Whizzer to find whereabouts of Bistro L'Aztec & to remove cone-crown (or did I miss something!)

Captain Hamish Wee Dirk - has visited Whizzer before to get new uniforms for his crew but only got fluoresecent green leotards (in large suitcase he's carrying) & forgot to get matching Doc Martins & Davy Crockett hats. Has been leaving Mystic Trails & crew have been watching his movements since from the starship Bentbutflise.

Pepe Le Pew is wearing a black panama hat & a pair of glittery star-shaped red rimmed glasses - the perfume has long worn off & he stinks. He would like to smell nicer & be more debonair.

Michael (scarcrow dude) is wearing a red wig, orange hair scrunchy, orange satin gloves & orange feather boa. He's fed-up with birds stealing bits & pieces of him for nests & dropping 'birdy things' on him.

Lord O'Scars is wearing a gold lurex cravat & has gold highlights all over his metal. He is rusty in parts & would like an extreme make-over.

The lion wants to make up for the error of his ways & wear the crown again (even if it is now a cone?)

Inventory: A few pairs of sun-glasses, pocket sword, gun with 1 bullet, dusty bottle with a finger print containing a little olive oil, clipper lighter, silver shoes, a walkthrough & a shield with 666 (the 3rd 6 can't be seen - methinks the shield could be upside down?)

Continue story:
> Walk along the central grand hall - notice that on either side there are rows of open-fronted workshops with big advertising boards on each of them ..............

Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: chrissie] #318889
04/29/08 04:42 PM
04/29/08 04:42 PM
A
AquariaJade Offline
Shy Boomer
AquariaJade  Offline
Shy Boomer
A

This is so interesting! It looks like you give have invented a new game: co-group-writing of an adventure story.

Perhaps a new thread with a plot hook to start with and do this thing write, err..right?

Just a suggestion from a small and little known boomer. *shuffles feet*

Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: AquariaJade] #318898
04/29/08 04:54 PM
04/29/08 04:54 PM
Greece
Volkana Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Volkana  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Greece
An open sourse adventure???? Count me in... grin

Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: AquariaJade] #318901
04/29/08 04:57 PM
04/29/08 04:57 PM
the Netherlands
Bernard Offline
Addicted Boomer
Bernard  Offline
Addicted Boomer

the Netherlands
Just join in Aquaboomer and your star will rise to incredible heights! smile

{Edit}
Volkana (or maybe Dame Etna?) you're so welcome! You're the one who (unwillingly?) started this menace. grin
{End of edit}

Bernard

Last edited by Bernard; 04/29/08 05:03 PM. Reason: Volkana's post right in front of my nose!
Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: Bernard] #318935
04/29/08 05:46 PM
04/29/08 05:46 PM
Greece
Volkana Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Volkana  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Greece
It was unwillingly alright but it's become really fun... grin

Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: Volkana] #318950
04/29/08 06:05 PM
04/29/08 06:05 PM
the Netherlands
Bernard Offline
Addicted Boomer
Bernard  Offline
Addicted Boomer

the Netherlands
The fun is what this is all about Volkana, glad to hear you're having it too. smile

Bernard

Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: Bernard] #319174
04/30/08 04:52 AM
04/30/08 04:52 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Excellent summary chrissie, -- what a motley crew. lol Are we all resting a bit before the final push to meet The Whizzer?

(I don't think the lion wants the crown back, actually. At this stage his motivation is somewhat hidden. It's possible he's just along for the ride out of sheer curiosity or because he finds it amusing to watch everyone else struggle.)

Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: Becky] #319184
04/30/08 06:10 AM
04/30/08 06:10 AM
West London, UK
JennyP Offline
Adept Boomer
JennyP  Offline
Adept Boomer

West London, UK
Look at advertising boards. There is a craft market nearby.
Rush to market.
Shoppity shop ! Exchange your entire inventory for a beautiful handbag & a pair of dangly earrings.

When in doubt, cuddle a catcatrub
Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: JennyP] #319209
04/30/08 07:22 AM
04/30/08 07:22 AM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

The lion emits a threatening roar. The shopkeeper gives you back the silver shoes.

>Inv

Beautiful handbag, pair of dangly earrings, silver shoes.

>Continue shopping.

Nearby shoppers (all dressed in green) stop to admire your purchases.

An official-looking young man who resembles Tweedle Dee from Alice in Wonderland (or perhaps he more closely resembles Tweedle Dum) approaches you. He is carrying a violin.

"Lord Ossccarrrrrrssss of the Dance!" he proclaims, looking at your mechanical friend. "You have finally returned!" He strikes up a catchy tune on the fiddle, and all the shoppers dressed in green drop their purchases, put their arms down at their sides, and begin a rousing Irish step dance routine. Lord Ossccarrrrrrssss outdances them all handily.

While the shoppers are busy, your companions sort through the shopping bags left unattended in the street, in case there is anything in them that can be of use when you confront The Whizzer.

>_

Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: Becky] #319220
04/30/08 07:48 AM
04/30/08 07:48 AM
the Netherlands
Bernard Offline
Addicted Boomer
Bernard  Offline
Addicted Boomer

the Netherlands
>examine handbag

Oh dear goodness gracious me, it's the all new and updated Madchick 2008™ handbag, version 2.153!
It will hold everything you put in there and it will provide you with anything you might need in the future. It's beautiful p.. decorated also.

>use handbag

A voice inside the handbag says "Before using the handbag please register! Here's the manual."
You now have the manual.

Bernard

REM Becky, are my eyes cheating me or did you really become green?

End of remark

Last edited by Bernard; 04/30/08 08:08 AM. Reason: REM added.
Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: Bernard] #319330
04/30/08 12:16 PM
04/30/08 12:16 PM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
Originally Posted By: Bernard
It's beautiful p.. decorated also.

lol

>read manual

You read the manual. If only you had a carrier pigeon by which to despatch the registration card - but you're in the land of The Whizzer now, and his rules apply - no jiggery pokery allowed. On a scrap of paper you cleverly forge an approximation of a first class stamp, and mail the card. Let's hope the postal service is more efficient in Oz.

>ransack random shopping bags

You ransack the shopping bags of adjacent shoppers who are otherwise engaged. You procure: a purple cashmere sweater; a tin of stewing steak; a bottle of washing up liquid; a diamond ring.

>I like the last item best.

I thought you might. You now have an inventory mostly full of junk. Proceed with caution.

>_

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: Rushes] #319351
04/30/08 01:05 PM
04/30/08 01:05 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Meanwhile your companions have also been ransacking shopping bags and all of a sudden you notice Pepe Le Pew doing a chicken impression with his arms & holding a DVD in his hand.
You go over to him & instantly notice a flowery but slightly antiseptic odor instead of the normal stench.
> "What have you found?" you say. Pepe lifts up his arms & says "Look!" Underneath each arm you see a stuck-on bathroom deodorizer - the type you have to press to release a squirt. Pepe puts his arms down again and a stronger whiff of the odor is emitted bringing tears to your eyes "Also I found this" > you look at the DVD he's holding. It's 'How to be like Antonio Banderas (step-by-step guide)' You wonder whether graceful chicken impersonations are included.
> Look around for Michael. You see someone with orange accesories wearing an enormous sombrero with lots of what looks like little cat charms dangling from the rim. > Approach Michael. He moves his head & all of a sudden you hear the sound of a hundred hissing & meowing cats. "It's stain resistant too" he says. "Also I've found this, it's a solar powered, all weather, internet linked, handheld Adventure Game Consol" > Look closely at the advertising on the packaging. It says 'Perfect for whiling away those hours when you're stuck in a field'. 'FREE GAME included: 'Intrigue in Farmer Frank's Cabbage & Carrot Corner'

You can't see Dirk anywhere & by now Lord O'Scars has finished dancing & shoppers are beginning to disperse & pick up their shopping. Suddenly one of the shoppers shouts 'thieves! thieves! someone's stolen my washing-up liquid & all of a sudden there is a furor & more shouting, you can just make out '..my ..ewing steak ..... ple cash..swe..ter...'etc Time for you & your companions to > RUN!.............

REM Re: handbag - I know what my one's like & I'm not going near anyone elses! rotfl

Last edited by chrissie; 04/30/08 02:25 PM.
Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: chrissie] #319455
04/30/08 04:42 PM
04/30/08 04:42 PM
the Netherlands
Bernard Offline
Addicted Boomer
Bernard  Offline
Addicted Boomer

the Netherlands
.... You're outside the mall now!

You feel a little craving, you realize you're hungry. Hungry like a ..?

>eat lion

You eat the lion, it doesn't taste too bad but you did eat better tasting candy bars before. You want to keep the wrapping though, there's a nice bar code on it.

>seek register

You're close to a shopping mall, you fool! Cash registers all over the place. Could you be a little more specific, pooolice?

>sorry parser!

It's good to know you regret your foolishness Let's continue the game, shall we?

Bernard

Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: Bernard] #319505
04/30/08 06:31 PM
04/30/08 06:31 PM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Find The Whizzer

A penguin with a large moustache waddles up to you (is it a penguin or is it Hercule Poirot)? "The Whizzer has heard of your mighty deeds, O King of the Forest," says the penguin. "He would like you to join him. Follow me, please."

You try to straighten your crown, and frown at your companions, hoping that they will, for the first time, realize the seriousness of the situation and behave accordingly.

You walk down a long corridor with stained glass windows, each representing a different sort of tree. You would like to draw pictures of them, certain that they are important, but you don't have time.

The penguin reaches a set of double doors at the end of the corridor. These appear to be made of a black material and show various figures in attitudes of torment and supplication. The penguin throws open the doors, and you enter another chamber.

The chamber reveals more stained glass windows, each with mysterious shapes and symbols. You can hear the sound of a drum and a beautiful female voice singing in an unknown tongue. Your companions begin marching solemnly behind you to the beat of the drum.

Ahead of you is a sort of throne, which slowly begins to revolve. Seated on the thrown is a small figure in wizard's robes, holding a staff that resembles a crowbar. Is the Whizzer an Ooompa Loompa? It's hard to say, because half of his face is covered by a white mask. On the side with the mask, his hair appears to have been resently singed down to the scalp. On the other side, you see curly hair and one beady brown eye.

>

Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: Becky] #319524
04/30/08 07:01 PM
04/30/08 07:01 PM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
>approach The Whizzer

You walk slowly towards The Whizzer. Although you cannot fully see his face, he appears to be smiling at you in a kindly fashion. He beckons you to a small area before his throne. Your companions follow you closely. The drum has stopped beating, the female voice has quietened. The atmosphere within the chamber is expectant and tense.

>speak to The Whizzer

"Good evening, Mr Whizzer," you say respectfully. "I have travelled many miles, through galaxies and strange continents, to meet with you. I have met with strange lifeforms; I have had many extraordinary experiences during my long journey, a journey which now ends in your magnificent domain."

The Whizzer listens, now regarding you solemnly. He opens his mouth to speak.

>_

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: Volkana] #319571
04/30/08 08:13 PM
04/30/08 08:13 PM
Indiana
Demosthenes Offline
Addicted Boomer
Demosthenes  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Indiana
Then his eyes lock on an empty space to your right, and his mouth tightens almost imperceptibly. This time when he speaks, there's a certain chill to his voice you find vaguely threatening.

"The lion." The line is out of context, and you're honestly confused.

"The what, your whizzerliness?"

"The lion who was with you. What have you done with him?"

Uh oh. Telling the truth will almost certainly get you in trouble, but you don't want to think about what the Whizzer will do if he catches you lying.

>lie anyway

You grin affably and decide to make the best of it.

"He was...uh...otherwise detained. Told us he'd meet us later." Probably best to leave your story a little wriggle room, just in case.

"Detained. And what, pray tell, did he find more important than an audience with me?"

> stall

"He didn't say, Mr. Whizzer. He seemed very delici...er...distracted. Very, very distracted. About something."

"I see." You're not sure he's buying it. "Well then, inform him when next you see him that I wish to speak with him. Privately." The Whizzer leaps up suddenly, and whatever hidden emotions were written on his face are suddenly replaced with kindly enthusiasm. "And in the meantime, what, pray tell, has brought you here? Is one of you, perhaps, searching for a brain?" For some reason, he's looking pointedly at you as he says this. "Are you here to look someone up in the magic mirror?" The Whizzer is remarkably animated now, and you hardly have time to wonder about that mirror before he throws a large bolt of fire from his hand towards the ceiling. His voice booms now, echoing throughout the chamber. "Have you come to slay Glinda, the wicked witch of the South?" And suddenly he is stock still and quiet again: "Or possibly, just possibly, you have come in search of Bistro L'Aztec?"

The Whizzer is staring directly at you.

Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: Demosthenes] #319807
05/01/08 10:19 AM
05/01/08 10:19 AM
the Netherlands
Bernard Offline
Addicted Boomer
Bernard  Offline
Addicted Boomer

the Netherlands
Suddenly the Whizzer bursts out in song and dance! Your ears are hurting and you pray to the holy Android Lord Feather to end this! You feel miserable. Finally the music stops, only the drummer keeps on playing.

>use sign language on drummer

Using your arms and hands you make clear to Phil he should stop.
There's a peaceful silence now. Moments later your stomach starts to roar.....

Bernard

Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: Bernard] #319818
05/01/08 10:41 AM
05/01/08 10:41 AM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Obfuscate.

"Just my lunch acting up!" you say quickly. The Whizzer gives you a suspicious look. "Turn out your pockets," he says. "Each of you, one by one, and tell me what you want from me."

Pepe removes the contents of his pockets -- an empty perfume bottle and a book of love poetry in the original French. "I wish to be more debonair, and to permanently solve my odor problem."

Dirk steps forward, puts his teaser gun and his Star Fleet Academy 101 manual on the floor. "I want better uniforms, please." he says politely.

Michael smiles at The Whizzer, and from his pockets he removes a wad of used chewing gum, a nail file, a miniature crossbow and some ceiling wax. "I would like an impermeable barrier around my body that birds cannot enter," he says. You notice that the crowbar with the emerald is not among the contents, and you wonder where he has hidden it.

Lord Oscars bows deeply. From his pockets he removes a diary, a ticket hole puncher and a letter from someone named Kate. "I would like to be de-rusted, and to be returned to my rightful position as lead dancer in the Emerald City Ballet."

Now The Whizzer looks at you.

>Inv.

You show the Whizzer handbag, dangly earrings, silver shoes, washing up liquid, a diamond ring, a 'How to be like Antonio Banderas DVD, a sombrero with cat charms, and a hand-held adventure game console.

>Talk to The Whizzer.

"I want to get rid of this crown," you say. "And yes, I want to find Bistro L'Aztec." You are wondering nervously if The Whizzer knows that you are carrying stolen goods.

"The item I feared you carried is not here," says The Whizzer. "I am happy to see that, and I forgive your theft of my people's goods and treasure. I do, however, have a task for you to perform before I can grant your varied requests.

"A giant is now roaming my realm. He is named after a drawing tool, and he is a threat to my people and all I hold dear. You will subdue him."

>

Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: Becky] #319873
05/01/08 01:04 PM
05/01/08 01:04 PM
the Netherlands
Bernard Offline
Addicted Boomer
Bernard  Offline
Addicted Boomer

the Netherlands
REM

A bit on the serious side now. (Yes, I can be serious!)

This thread reminded me of all the great text adventures I played in the past. I can't speak for my fellow contributors of course, but for me it is a fountain of fun in a difficult period.

What I'm really trying to say is, I feel that adventure games have lost something since that time.
With the text adventure, you had to use your own imagination to fill in the voices, the scenery, the sounds, the music, the characters etc.
It's like reading, compared to go and see the movie. The movie often is a disappointment when you have read the book!

Back in the old times one person, who had an idea about a story, would be sitting in the bedroom, working on a computer with limited capacity, writing the game and saving it to tape before going to sleep.
Nowadays a game can't be made without writers, graphic artists, programmers, composers, musicians, voice actors, art directors, a PR staff, just to mention a few. All these people have to be paid and in the end, we, the game players, are paying them!

Sure I like the new games with the amazing graphics and great Dolby surround effects. Somehow though, I feel there's something missing. Maybe it's that little touch of magic .....

Remark ended

Bernard

Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: Volkana] #319878
05/01/08 01:23 PM
05/01/08 01:23 PM
Indiana
Demosthenes Offline
Addicted Boomer
Demosthenes  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Indiana
>REM What I've noticed lately is that companies keep spending more and mroe money getting the graphics and the game engine working, and then when they're done seem to run out of time and money to fill their game world with interesting things. For recent examples, see Oblivion (endless fields of grass), Assassin's Creed (endless onslaught of identical missions), and the recent trend towards games that look and play great, but cost $50 and only last 6 hours.

Graphics rendering keeps getting better, which raises the demands for high-quality textures, detailed 3D-models and expansive worlds--but companies still are under the same pressures to actually make a profit. The result has been gorgeous games that don't really have much to them.

Ah well.

Remark Ended.

Last edited by Demosthenes; 05/01/08 01:41 PM. Reason: retconning
Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: Becky] #319879
05/01/08 01:27 PM
05/01/08 01:27 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Prelude to accepting quest:

> "Forgive me great Whizzer" you say "but we are no match for a threatening giant, is there no other task you can give us?"
"No" says the Whizzer "that's the deal". You look round at your companions, they look so forlorn. "Do you want to do this?" you ask & immediately they all brighten up & unanimously say "YES!" Okay, "How big is this giant?" you ask the Whizzer. "That is for you to find out" he says. The group start to head for the exit..... "not so fast!" the Whizzer says "please leave all your inventory items as security except for the handbag which is now officially registered & you may hang on to the games consol. I'm not sure about the authenticity of the stamp but I do love a good forgery."

The group now make their way to the exit carrying only the handbag & games consol & maybe a crowbar with emerald?.

You suddenly remember that the consol has internet access. >Google drawing instruments. You browse lots of sites - there are pencils, rotring pens, pastels, charcoal, conte crayons, chinese brushes. Nothing that a giant could be named after. You browse a little more & a more unusual drawing instrument is listed, aah! the giant's name must be Nero Beambar. Google giants & look up Nero Beambar - he's also known as the mightly Protractor & 'has been the giant scourge of the Gillikin Country for 2000 years' >

Last edited by chrissie; 05/01/08 01:46 PM. Reason: Improvising!
Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: Volkana] #319883
05/01/08 01:41 PM
05/01/08 01:41 PM
Indiana
Demosthenes Offline
Addicted Boomer
Demosthenes  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Indiana
> REM lol Nice improvising, chrissie. Think I'd better try some improvising of my own now...

>Accept Quest

Code:
And so, their
journey begins----
What awaits the
Five, they do
not know.	

Each in search 
of the mighty NERO BEAMBAR,
giant scourge of
the Gillikin Country
for 2000 years.

Come!!
Start your 
journey!
Return the light
of peace to our
world.

PROGRAMMED

BY

C. O. P. S.

CHARACTER
    DESIGN

L.F.BAUM et al.

SCENARIO
      BY

VOLKANA

PRODUCTION
      OF

GAMEBOOMERS LTD.

Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: Demosthenes] #319892
05/01/08 02:04 PM
05/01/08 02:04 PM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Admire Accept Quest Document.

The handheld gaming console starts beeping frenetically. On it scrolls the official Accept Quest coded document.

>Give handheld game console to Whizzer.

The Whizzer looks at the Accept Quest doc and smiles smugly. "It's official, then," he says, handing you back the console.

"Once you have dealt with Nero Beambar, you can return and I will fulfill the wish of everyone in this room," announces The Whizzer.

You turn to leave. "I have one question before we go, Great Whizzer," you say. "Who is the parser?"

"Ah, to discover that, you must learn parser-tongue," says The Whizzer. The drum beat begins, as does the voice, apparently singing in parser-tongue. You all turn smartly and march out of the room.

The door closes and you are alone once again in the corridor. Michael stoops and picks up the crowbar with emerald that is sitting in an umbrella stand by the door.

"Why did you leave that at the door before we went in?" you ask him.

"Why ever not?" says Michael.

>_

Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: Becky] #319934
05/01/08 03:35 PM
05/01/08 03:35 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
> "MICHAEL" you say firmly "you are hiding something from me. Now please answer my question! Why di....." Michael puts his hands up in defeat "okay, okay, I'll tell you. Many years ago when I was a young 'lad', & birds respected folk like myself, I used to read a lot. My favourite subject was anything to do with Mexico as I never imagined it to rain or snow there & I thought it would be a wonderful place to retire to. I came across many stories. One of them was to do with an Aztec princess called Tipzitoze, I don't know the details of her life but apparently she was important enough to a small tribe living at the foot of the mountains to build a statue of her. Two emeralds (rumoured to be magical) were 'her eyes' & they were deeply embedded. Soon after, one of the emeralds was stolen & legend has it that the emerald would adhere forever to the tool used to remove it. I don't know why. It's unusual for a crowbar to have an emerald attached & I wondered" You understand now & thank Michael for being honest with you.......... >

Re: Most common theme in AGs [Re: chrissie] #319946
05/01/08 03:55 PM
05/01/08 03:55 PM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

REM I'm finding it enthralling to see how everybody's minds work and how they see and work through different situations in the game. I've laughed over and over at this thread. I think partly it's so much fun because it's creative and cooperative at the same time. I don't know how you would do that in a game that we would all buy off the shelf (maybe a multi-player game might come close)?

REM Ended

Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 228 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users