GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Throwing in the Towel/ The Experiment [Re: Becky] #326465
05/13/08 01:06 PM
05/13/08 01:06 PM
K
kimco Offline
Junior Boomer
kimco  Offline
Junior Boomer
K

Hi Becky, it seems we just neglect the role of 112 in all these things. And maybe there does exist a theory

Click to reveal..
which could explains most things without considering Lea a RA spy, even though the helicopter did belong to the RA.

First I'd like to talk about the RA's attitude toward the Tyriade's prophecy. I thought that the RA would like to help fulfill the prophecy. And now I believe that they were expecting the prophecy coming true as much as the Tyriades were. The RA never seeked the extinction of the Tyriades. They just wanted to hide up everything about the Tyriades. I'd like to assume that the RA was trying to cover the Tyriades world up until such a day as there is something could ensure the harmony between the two races. And here comes the prophecy which foresees the birth of the third race which is considered "the guarantee of peace and balance". It's their duty, or even fate, for the RA to do everything they could to make the old prophecy coming true. The prophecy is more like a pledge that holds influence over both races, just as the charm resulted from the collaboration between two races.

The prophecy involves a man from human world, a Tyriades queen, and the Site of Convergence which needs to be unlocked by the charm of "The Original Egg of the Convergence". So the charm is sort of a magic key. It loses its power when it serves its purpose. I guess that's why it's no longer glowing in the final cutscene. As for the origin of the charm, I'd like to believe it was created in remote antiquity (of course, in the way mentioned in the file) together with the Site of Convergence. The site was in the Tyriade's world while the charm was taken to the human world. And they would come together once more when time is right. That sounds more like a prophecy to me, hence I gave up the thought of "the queen and 112 made it together."

Now we can talk about the role of 112. In fact he was the one who was supposed to bring the charm to the Tyriade world, and was the rep of the RA, or rather of the human race, to fulfill the prophecy. He knew the significance of his duty for the Tyriade race, and knew that he would be admitted by the Tyriades eventually. That's why he told Lea in the "bleachery" that he is not like the others, he is different.

The unexpected encounter with kindhearted Lea Nichols was, however, not in his plan. And with so much happened between them, 112 decided to give the charm to Lea before he left for the underworld. There must had been some talking between them, like "we'll meet again... you can give it back to me by then...." And this was exactly the appointment Lea mentioned in the game after her HO inhalation - "... Not a minute to lose... I must honor the appointment I've made." And 112 got his reason to do that. He knew that the RA would attack the base before long, and Lea has slim chances of surviving it. He left the charm to Lea as some protective measure for her. The RA troops would never hurt anyone wearing this charm. And that was how Lea survived the RA attack eventually. But another problem occured. There's got to be someone bring the charm to the Tyriade world. It seemed that the RA left the job to Lea, in hoping that the long hibernation could help her adapt the rigorous environment of the underworld.

And after 34 years of sleeping, Lea waked up in the very year in which the Tyriade's "Ultimate Renewal" ceremony took place. The game began at this point. 112 (player) led Lea into the Tyriade world to meet him, and opened the Site of Convergence with the charm so that the prophecy could be finally fulfilled. At the same time, Lea realized that 112 was now more of a Tyriade than of a human, and that his destiny twined with the destiny of Tyriades from the beginning. She chose to return to the human world. And it was the Tyriades or 112 who managed to call the RA helicopter for Lea. That's how they "coordinated Lea's return to the human world" as mentioned in the final cutscene. Yes, 112 was a member of RA, and undoubtedly the most important one.

At least Lea could continue to be the innocent little scientist now.

Re: Throwing in the Towel/ The Experiment [Re: kimco] #326670
05/13/08 06:27 PM
05/13/08 06:27 PM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

lol That plot idea does keep her innocent.

A question though --

Click to reveal..
If the RA WANTS the Tryiades and humans to converge, why do they kill everybody on the ship and at the Advanced Base? What does that accomplish for them?

Thinking more about 112 --

I've changed my mind about 112 actually coming to the research ship to operate the cameras there. I think the first cutscene we see is 112 establishing a telepathic link to Lea as she starts to wake up (or perhaps even using the telepathic link to wake her up). 112's telepathic abilities are mentioned a couple of times, and there's some indication that HO actually increases a person's telepathic ability (represented by the cell-like substances we sometimes see at the beginning and end of the cutscenes).

I think the cutscenes are shared telepathic memories or experiences -- many of them occur from 112's perspective, and a few of them are from Lea's perspective. I think the shower scene where you suddenly see the image of a Tyriade is 112 accidentally letting a glimpse of what he's become to filter into the telepathic experience.

I could be completely wrong about this, but I think 112 is, for much of the game, in the training portion of the advanced base, right next to the Tyriades Cathedral. And when the robots are threatening to kill Lea in the advanced base, I think it might actually be 112 who comes through the Tyriades door, attacks the robot, and then leaves.

The other thing I've been thinking about is -- why are they training volunteers to breathe HO and then go into the Tyriades realm to
Click to reveal..
communicate using the language packs? Project EDEHN has already communicated with the Messenger Tyriades and gone on to construct pathways through the Tyriades realm, plus doors and computers have been installed in the Tyriades realm, and they've even built that large facility that allows humans to "surf" the Abyss.

Since they've been able to accomplish all this (I'm assuming while wearing some sort of "space suit,") why send clueless volunteers into the Tyriades realm to try to live there for a couple of weeks? Especially since none of these volunteers (until 112) ever come back in decent shape (until 112 they've been so ill or insane afterwards that they die or kill themselves).

Did the Tyriades specifically request that EDHEN send human volunteers to try to adapt? Were the Tyriades, in essence, looking for someone like 112 who would be a bridge from the very beginning of their encounters?

Re: Throwing in the Towel/ The Experiment [Re: Becky] #327163
05/14/08 01:36 PM
05/14/08 01:36 PM
K
kimco Offline
Junior Boomer
kimco  Offline
Junior Boomer
K

some answers and some questions:

Click to reveal..
The RA attacked the base in 1970, 34 years before the prophecy is fulfilled. Maybe the RA didn't want to risk the exposure of the Tyriades world until the last day. And if the prophecy is meant for creation of a new species, it could take hundreds of years before the prophecy can be completely fulfilled. The "convergence" seem more like a improvement of species to me. It takes place in the Tyriade world only, and will make future Tyriades more human. Maybe that's the true reason why the RA wants the prophecy come true. And it doesn't seem to be against their mission of hiding the existence of the Tyriades.

I totally agree with you about the telepathic memories or experiences. I note that the ship in the "Beach" cutscene is not the EDEHN base one, and it seems a different island. I wonder whether it means that it's 112's imagination, or just his dream.

It's interestering that you think 112 is the one standing by the Tyriades door. Well, he should have settled all robots for Lea.

As for the volunteers, they could be sent in to the Tyriades world as scouts, or they are just subjects to show how human body will react to the Tyriades environment. EDEHN has some researchers stationed in the Tyriades realm (e.g. Jack Lowel). They seem to work in some close room, and they could receive pictures of the camera carried by the volunteers. So the volunteers could also serve as information collector. And I did get the impression that the military high level is expecting something special from the volunteers' adventure. EDEHN members always refer to these adventure as failed mission. what on earth is successful mission supposed to be? What's the true purpose of the EDEHN project? What's that tree-like thing in tank CT08 for?

Re: Throwing in the Towel/ The Experiment [Re: kimco] #327585
05/15/08 05:28 AM
05/15/08 05:28 AM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

I've been thinking more about the Tyriade that
Click to reveal..
comes through the Tyriades door. Since the security robots are still there, I think it's safe to assume that the Tyriades don't routinely come through there. So the fact that one does come through must have something to do with Lea being there.

If the Tyriade that does come through is 112 (or sent by 112) it's strange that he doesn't disable all the robots, I agree. If the Tyriade that comes through the door is a scout who answers to the Generals, it's odd that he doesn't disable all the robots and then either try to communicate with Lea or take her into custody.

I still don't have a satisfactory explanation as to why any Tyriade would come through the door, disable only the robot that's threatening Lea at the moment, and then disappear -- except that by doing so he gives us the fun of playing around with the leftover robots. grin

As for sending the volunteers out,
Click to reveal..
part of the reason appears to be to see if their adjustment to the HO and the Tyriades realm will create a medical breakthrough, using the healing and life-preserving qualities of HO. The scientists/researchers say they are interested in this, but then they have their heads in the sand as to the tumors that the advance base personnel are experiencing, as well as genetic mutations they are seeing in local plants and animals, and the headaches and mental problems that researchers experience when they spend time near the Tyriades world (never mind actually IN the Tyriades world).

I think a "successful" mission for a volunteer would be to spend a couple of weeks in the Tyriades world and then come back to the base in the kind of condition where the volunteer could make a report that would help later volunteers to adjust more readily. So far, 112 is the only one who could have done this, but instead he met with the Tyriades queen and appears to have thrown in his lot with the Tyriades, rather than reporting back to the scientists at EDEHN. At least, that was the apparent situation before the email system went down, and then the RA attack took place.

The tree-like thing in the tank I assumed had something to do with how the Tyriade castes reproduce themselves. It looks like a kind of giant egg tree. ???

Re: Throwing in the Towel/ The Experiment [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #327712
05/15/08 10:30 AM
05/15/08 10:30 AM
Illinois
BubbaJake Offline
Settled Boomer
BubbaJake  Offline
Settled Boomer

Illinois
This is a game I have not played simply because I could never even get the demo to work for me. I liked the story idea, but knew when it came out I would keep right on walking by that one and Penumbra (sort of the same reason), though that demo did work, my PC HATED the experience.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (curly, oldbroad), 355 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users