GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Puzzle Madness #330194
05/19/08 06:02 PM
05/19/08 06:02 PM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
Hi, Boomers...

I would like to know "What Makes you Tick" when it comes to puzzles...

What puzzles would you like to see more of?

What puzzles you dislike & would like to see less of?

I would love to see more <Slider> & <Torn Pic> Puzzles
I dislike <Mechanical> puzzles

Thanks for your imput. wave

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"
Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: Darleen03] #330249
05/19/08 07:20 PM
05/19/08 07:20 PM
New Mexico
Gobobby Offline
Settled Boomer
Gobobby  Offline
Settled Boomer

New Mexico
I do not want any puzzles. Puzzles stop the game and take you out of the game. You spend an hour solving yet another slider, color, sound, maze, or keypad puzle before you can continue playing the game. It gets tired very quickly. How many novels would you read if you had to solve a puzzle every few pages? Think of some of the classic adventure games such as Sybria I/II. I doubt that they conained a total of 2-3 puzzles. Increasingly, puzzles are a substitute for story. Some while ago I played a reasonably current and somewhat popular adventure game. Excluding puzzles, I completed the game in three hours. How much story could there be? In fact, this was not an adventure game. It was a puzzle game.

Understand, I make a distinction between puzzles and problems. Using what you have learned, logic, and what is at hand enables you to solve a problem. The game does not stop. You remain in the game. Let us be honest. Most puzzles are really very silly.

The cleanest thing in your house is your cat
Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: Gobobby] #330252
05/19/08 07:27 PM
05/19/08 07:27 PM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
Hi, Gobobby

I never thought of it that way...You do make a lot of sense...But. there is not much to adventure gaming unless we have some puzzles in the game.. duh

Thank You.
For your input on the subject

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: Darleen03] #330257
05/19/08 07:32 PM
05/19/08 07:32 PM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

I like all kinds of puzzles, though I'm not terribly fond of sliders, mazes, or timed challenges. I don't mind getting "stuck" from time to time, though if the story is very good, I do tend to be more frustrated with especially difficult puzzles right at the end. I want to know how the story is going to be resolved/how the mystery will be solved! Just personal preference -- I like the puzzle difficulty to decrease a bit for the last 15 to 20 percent of story-heavy games.

Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: Darleen03] #330265
05/19/08 07:46 PM
05/19/08 07:46 PM
Lower Mainland, BC
mission Offline
Settled Boomer
mission  Offline
Settled Boomer

Lower Mainland, BC
Darleen, I prefer not to have any sliding, mechanical, torn pic, disentanglement, maze puzzles etc. in an adventure game.

These puzzles should stay at casual games where they are normally designed as a mini game within the casual game.

What I do like to see in an adventure game is inventory based puzzles where I collect objects and use/combine these objects to solve problems.

Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: mission] #330268
05/19/08 07:51 PM
05/19/08 07:51 PM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
Hi, mission

You also make alot of sense...I do like inventory puzzles also immensely ..Where you put things together...

Thank You for your input

Becky....Your too funny...I love slider puzzles as long as it is not timed....Thank you for your input..

Last edited by Darleen2003; 05/19/08 07:54 PM.

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: Becky] #330269
05/19/08 07:54 PM
05/19/08 07:54 PM
Indiana
Koalanut Offline
Settled Boomer
Koalanut  Offline
Settled Boomer

Indiana

Becky, I agree with you about the puzzles that get so hard at the end that on a few I have given up. It just isn't fun anymore, but I would love to see the end of it.

I love all kinds of puzzles whether logic, mechanical, inventory, and even sliders ( I loved the little sliding puzzles that I could get when I was a kid). Sound ones or musical ones aren't too bad for me either cause I play piano and sing in church choirs. I just love the challenge of puzzles as long as they are reasonable and not extremely difficult. I like simple mazes, but I usually seem to just wander in circles cause I am trying to find things and seem go back the same direction I came from originally. All I ask for is NO TIMER hardwall !!! I am thankful for walkthroughs, especially MaG's when the going gets tough!!! thanks

Koalanut

So many games, so little time....
Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: Koalanut] #330274
05/19/08 08:01 PM
05/19/08 08:01 PM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
Hi, Koalanut

Wouldn't you agree that some puzzles are needed in an adventure game? What would an adventure game be without some challenge?

Thank You for your input..

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: Darleen03] #330285
05/19/08 08:20 PM
05/19/08 08:20 PM
Indiana
Koalanut Offline
Settled Boomer
Koalanut  Offline
Settled Boomer

Indiana

Darleen, I really wouldn't want to play an adventure game without puzzles. So I do agree that adventure games need puzzles that work well in the story. I love good story lines too. But I guess the best games are the ones with great stories and puzzles that fit with the story.

Koalanut wave

Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: Koalanut] #330328
05/19/08 09:39 PM
05/19/08 09:39 PM
Brazil
Phoebe Offline
Addicted Boomer
Phoebe  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Brazil
Hey Dar, wave

I really like of all the kinds of Puzzle, but i think the puzzles has that to be part of history, i hate puzzles it doesn’t make sense and also not like of games that are full of puzzles, the game becoming a little bored.

Love Maria hearts

Yes,though i go through the valley of deep shade,i will have no fear of evil;for you are with me, your rod and your support are my comfort. Salmo23:4
Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: Phoebe] #330362
05/19/08 10:58 PM
05/19/08 10:58 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Gobobby
Increasingly, puzzles are a substitute for story.

I find it the other way around. There are very few puzzle/adventures being made.

Most of my favorite kinds of puzzles are those that aren't part of the story. They may or may not fit in with the gameworld. For example, I enjoyed playing Aura because of the puzzles and the pretty gameworld. I couldn't tell you much about the story though, except that there wasn't much of one.

Here are some examples of "puzzles" I don't like that fit in with the story:
  • Stealth "puzzles"
  • "Puzzles" where your character can die by saying the wrong thing or not moving fast enough.
  • Inventory puzzles that depend solely on having the right object in your inventory -- in other words, "find the object" puzzles.
  • Conversation puzzles, especially those that result in "game over" if you make the wrong choice -- or having to start the whole conversation over.
  • Having to wander around looking for the next character with something new to say in order to trigger the availability of objects -- because if your character doesn't know he has a use for an object he won't pick it up. This is essentially trial and error.
  • Having to wander around looking for the next character with something new to say in order to trigger yet another conversation with some other character.

Puzzles I enjoy include
  • sliders
  • mechanical puzzles
  • logic puzzles
  • inventory puzzles of the kind found in "Return to Mysterious Island," where different objects can perform the same function, and where you can build new inventory out of objects that you find.

There are very very few games that have a story anywhere near as satisfying as a good book or movie. So when I want a story, I go for the book or movie. When I play a game, I want something a book or movie can't provide.

Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: Jenny100] #330443
05/20/08 06:19 AM
05/20/08 06:19 AM
Ontario, Canada
colpet Offline
Addicted Boomer
colpet  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Ontario, Canada
Jenny100 and I are of like mind.
For me, a game must have puzzles/challenges, and I think those type are becoming much less common.
Favorite puzzles:
- anything mechanical
- logic and math related
- spacial - both 2D and 3D - eg. mazes, sliders, jigsaws
- sorting out the back story by discovering clues in the environment
Puzzles I dislike:
- timed/stealth/dexterity
- inventory 'try everything on anything and everyone'
- conversation trees
- word and music based (I'm just plain bad at these)

Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: colpet] #330446
05/20/08 06:31 AM
05/20/08 06:31 AM
C
Cari Offline
Settled Boomer
Cari  Offline
Settled Boomer
C

To be fair I think that Gobboby has a strong point. I think that puzzles have long since been a waste of space. Anyone who has played AGs for a number of years has come across the same tired old puzzles again and again.

The worst are those with totally illogical solutions: Jam a lift, you have a solid steel bar, easy peasy, No that doesn’t work, try the top off a drink can that you can bend in half with two fingers, Bingo! The two ton life is jammed. Come on.

In the early years when there were no walkthroughs you had no choice but to persevere with the puzzles and their crazy solutions. Now games are hardly on the market when a walkthrough is available, which makes the time and effort in placing puzzles in a game in the first place a waste of time, you just read the answers.

I also agree with Gobboby that Syberia pointed the way forward, but though it’s now an old game, no one has learned anything from it, at least not in the games I have played since.

Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: ] #330461
05/20/08 07:12 AM
05/20/08 07:12 AM
stoke on trent England
dragonuk44 Offline
Addicted Boomer
dragonuk44  Offline
Addicted Boomer

stoke on trent England
I like the letter ones where you have to piece them togeather .Dont like mazes .I have no sense of direction and always go in circles

s wheeldon
Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: ] #330464
05/20/08 07:17 AM
05/20/08 07:17 AM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
Jigsaw/torn pic puzzles make me happy. Word puzzles of any kind. I also really enjoy chemical/sample analysis puzzles.

I don't like mazes, maths puzzles, or anything overly mechanical, because my poor wee brain just doesn't work that way.

And timed challenges are an abomination!

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: Rushes] #330548
05/20/08 09:48 AM
05/20/08 09:48 AM
Indiana
Koalanut Offline
Settled Boomer
Koalanut  Offline
Settled Boomer

Indiana
Quote:
I don't like mazes, maths puzzles

I don't mind some math puzzles, but the ones with the base some other number than ten. My mind just can't compute anything but base ten.

I love the games that are just puzzles like Pandora's Box, Safecraker, the Jewel of the Oracle (is that what is was called?), etc. I loved the puzzles. But it really wasn't an "adventure". The HOG games of the casual gaming are including more diverse puzzles and even some adventure now and I love it. But in an adventure game, I don't want to wander around aimlessly trying to figure out where the next puzzle is or what it even is because I don't really understand what is going on with the story.

Oh, I don't like dying either, especially if there is no second chance like Nancy Drew games, cause I forget to save or where I saved last.

I am sure that developers have problems trying to make a game that everyone would like. I thank them for all that they do to produce the games we have, whether or not I consider them a favorite game for me. thanks

Koalanut

Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: Koalanut] #330581
05/20/08 10:40 AM
05/20/08 10:40 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi smile

An adventure game without puzzles wouldn't BE an adventure game as far as I'm concerned !!
And from silly puzzles to brain teasers - I want them !! yay

If all I am looking for is an intriguing story I will read a book or watch a film.

Really the only type of puzzle I do object to is the timed (or stealth) sequence that ends in death if I fail - and where I have to try over and over again before I can progress in the game. That can definitely get very boring mad

Traditional adventure games have always been full of puzzles .... so I don't understand why people who don't like puzzle solving would bother to buy them in the first place woozy

Cheers.

Mad wave

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: Mad] #330598
05/20/08 11:05 AM
05/20/08 11:05 AM
Greece
Volkana Offline
Addicted Boomer
Volkana  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Greece
I like puzzles as long as they stay in one place... What i'm trying to say is that i don't like those whose you must wonder in more then one places in order to have them solved... I really like the puzzle you have to make all the lights turn on or slider pictures...

Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: Mad] #330599
05/20/08 11:06 AM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Some people enjoy exploring the kinds of environments that you find in adventure games, and they enjoy being part of an interactive story. These are provided by adventure games more than any other medium (that I know of, anyway). This type of experience can be gained by using hints or a walkthrough to get though the puzzles if the player doesn't want to spend a lot of time solving the puzzles.

Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: Mad] #330600
stoke on trent England
dragonuk44 Offline
Addicted Boomer
dragonuk44  Offline
Addicted Boomer

stoke on trent England
No I like the puzzals and I wish they would make some new games like Pandoras box

s wheeldon
Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: Koalanut] #330676
05/20/08 12:56 PM
05/20/08 12:56 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Koalanut
I love the games that are just puzzles like Pandora's Box, Safecraker, the Jewel of the Oracle (is that what is was called?), etc. I loved the puzzles. But it really wasn't an "adventure".

I agree. But there seems to be some disagreement about where to draw the line. For example with Shivers and 7th Guest, both of which have you wandering around a house or museum doing puzzles -- Where is the difference between those games and Safecracker, where you also wander around a house doing puzzles?

I'd still like to see more games like Jewels of the Oracle and Jewels 2, which few people would argue are puzzle games rather than adventure games. I've looked for similar games at Big Fish, but haven't seen any. What Big Fish calls "puzzle games" don't seem much like Jewels of the Oracle at all, and are often timed (yecch!). Something like Jewels of the Oracle would make an excellent casual game because you can pick it up and play it for a few minutes at a time.

Quote:
The HOG games of the casual gaming are including more diverse puzzles and even some adventure now and I love it.

As usual I had to think a bit before I realized what the acronym was. Hidden Object Games sound too much like searching for inventory to me. If anyone knows of a casual game with puzzles like Jewels of the Oracle (or Safecracker for those who haven't played the 13-year-old Jewels of the Oracle), I'd be interested to know what it is.

Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: Jenny100] #330706
05/20/08 01:47 PM
05/20/08 01:47 PM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
Originally Posted By: Jenny100
If anyone knows of a casual game with puzzles like Jewels of the Oracle (or Safecracker for those who haven't played the 13-year-old Jewels of the Oracle), I'd be interested to know what it is.

I'd say Azada comes pretty close. It's an excellent casual game with many puzzle variations. It's timed, though!

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: Rushes] #330712
05/20/08 01:59 PM
05/20/08 01:59 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Now see, the timer spoils it.
Why do they assume everyone wants a timer?

Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: Jenny100] #330833
05/20/08 05:57 PM
05/20/08 05:57 PM
Massachusetts
GBC Offline
Graduate Boomer
GBC  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Massachusetts
I love puzzles (as long as they are not timed). I think adventure games with an equal amount of puzzles is challenging and adds to the adventure.

Gail
Re: Puzzle Madness [Re: GBC] #330839
05/20/08 06:10 PM
05/20/08 06:10 PM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
I have to agree.....

Please leave the timed puzzles out....I think I can deal with most anything...But the timed thing..

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (oldbroad), 248 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users