GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage    
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#356001 - 07/06/08 07:58 AM Re: The list 2008 - the results! [Re: old lady]
joanieS Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Piney Woods of East Texas
Thanks, Flotsam. A huge amount of work and so appreciated. Always interesting to see how the list shifts each year and how some of my REALLY old favorites continue to hang in there.

#356137 - 07/06/08 11:46 AM Re: The list 2008 - the results! [Re: flotsam]
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: london uk
Thank you flotsam! It was good to see some new games in there! thanks.

#356186 - 07/06/08 01:46 PM Re: The list 2008 - the results! [Re: chrissie]
3dobermans Online   content
Adept Boomer

Loc: Palouse country
Oops, I didn't vote this year, but will next year.
Impressed with all the work and time you've spent doing this Flotsam. Thank you

#356285 - 07/06/08 04:42 PM Re: The list 2008 - the results! [Re: 3dobermans]
Darleen03 Offline
Adept Boomer

Loc: Northeast NJ
Thanks, flotsam, for taking the time to do this for Game Boomers.

It is much appreciated...!!!!

We all look forward to the vote every year ....

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"

#356424 - 07/06/08 10:11 PM Re: The list 2008 - the results! [Re: Darleen03]
BeaSong Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: rural Oregon, USA
OH WOW! This is soooo helpful, handy, awesome!
Thanx so much for doing this! Now, I can re-organize
my game shelves. bravo

#357270 - 07/08/08 04:15 PM Re: The list 2008 - the results! [Re: irishgirl1228]
HeavenlyJoy Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: usa
Thanks so much Flotsam, this list is one of the things that has really enhanced my Game playing, I look at it from time to time over the last few years, to pick games, I have not been disappointed, thanks so much for doing this, I am playing today, yet another recommended Game from some of the GameBoomers, top 20
Favorites and Recommendations..
THANKS AGAIN, and it was fun to add mine also... smile
Marcia

#357337 - 07/08/08 06:35 PM Re: The list 2008 - the results! [Re: old lady]
Phoebe Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Brazil
Thanks Flotsam for the great job thumbsup

Love Maria hearts

#357436 - 07/09/08 03:53 AM Re: The list 2008 - the results! [Re: irishgirl1228]
Benedict Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Singapore
55 Syberia
51 The Longest Journey
36 Grim Fandango
36 Syberia 2
32 Riven
30 Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within
29 The Lost Crown
28 Black Mirror
27 Keepsake
26 Dark Fall: The Journal

I guess these are the top 10 games for this year?

Looking at the ten games I realise at least 5 of the games are no longer readily available on the market and must be bought second hand or exchanged. GK2 and Riven are practically vintage games by now and yet they still rule the top ten. Where does it leave room for newer excellent games like Sherlock Holmes Nemesis? Furthermore, it is a lot of work to do such a collation every year. Perhaps the list could be narrowed down to games within the last 2-3 years. Once in 3 or 4 years then we do a best games of all time list like this one. In this way our lists will be more practical for people who can and will only buy the latest games available on the market.

#357453 - 07/09/08 05:41 AM Re: The list 2008 - the results! [Re: Benedict]
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Loc: Stony Brook, New York, USA
Hi Benedict --

You can buy the Syberia Collector's Edition, which is a re-release of Syberia I and II at Interact CD. You can also readily purchase Dark Fall: The Journal, Keepsake, Black Mirror (jewel case version), The Lost Crown, and The Longest Journey at Interact (TLJ was re-released and updated for Win XP a couple of years ago). You can purchase the Myst 10th Anniversary DVD Edition, which includes Riven, on Amazon.

I recently purchased Grim Fandango from GoGamer as a gift, though the recipient had a terrible time getting it to run. frown

#357918 - 07/10/08 01:10 AM Re: The list 2008 - the results! [Re: Becky]
Benedict Offline
Addicted Boomer

Becky,

Many of these games are more than 7-10 years old. GK2 was released in 1995. Some of them like Pandora Directive can no longer be played on a brand new computer system with xp without heavy system tweaking.

#357933 - 07/10/08 03:08 AM Re: The list 2008 - the results! [Re: Benedict]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
On the other hand, almost all old games from before year 2000 will play on any fairly recent computer (4 years old and sometimes even older) if you are determined to play them and get DOSBox or Virtual PC working. That isn't true of newer games, where nothing short of buying new parts or an entire new computer will get some of them running -- which is beyond some peoples' budgets.

#357936 - 07/10/08 03:30 AM Re: The list 2008 - the results! [Re: Jenny100]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi smile

In any case, what has the age of a game got to do with how good it is if many people enjoy playing it and consider it to be worthy ??

I think what is really noticeable about flotsam's finished collation is the absolute variety.

Cheers.

Mad wave

#357941 - 07/10/08 04:20 AM Re: The list 2008 - the results! [Re: Mad]
Benedict Offline
Addicted Boomer

Hi Mad

Yes we all know that these old games are good, and every year we look at the same old games and they are still good. And it is the same old game that rules the charts. But why do we need to look at the same old games every year? We should give the new games a chance. The old games should step down from the charts and be honoured separate category - the hall of fame. They should not be competing with new games from young developers.

Hi Jenny
I have indeed tried to run many old games -I find that many will still not work properly on XP or Dosbox despite tweaking. The issue here is more than just being able to get old games to work. I have an old PC here that can run the old games, but at the moment I am not playing them, because I already know their stories and I have played them several rounds already. I want to play NEW games, to see how technology has made these games better in terms of graphics and speed, and I want something fresh. i think gamers should have a choice whether they want to play vintage games or new games. By having a separate list for new games it will give a chance for new games to be appreciated and recommended to gamers who want to play new games.

Edited by Benedict (07/10/08 04:25 AM)

#358024 - 07/10/08 09:39 AM Re: The list 2008 - the results! [Re: Benedict]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Benedict smile

But why do we need to look at the same old games every year? We should give the new games a chance ....

Everyone is free to look at whichever games they wish to look at.

I want to play NEW games, to see how technology has made these games better in terms of graphics and speed, and I want
something fresh. i think gamers should have a choice whether they want to play vintage games or new games.

Gamers do have a choice. They make their own choice.
And nobody is stopping you from looking at "something fresh" if that's what you want to do.
You make YOUR own choice.

What the list is doing is recording peoples' preferences. It's not dictating to anyone which game they have to play.

Cheers.

Mad grin

#358056 - 07/10/08 10:31 AM Re: The list 2008 - the results! [Re: Benedict]
Marian Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
Originally Posted By: Benedict
Becky,

Many of these games are more than 7-10 years old. GK2 was released in 1995. Some of them like Pandora Directive can no longer be played on a brand new computer system with xp without heavy system tweaking.

Pandora Directive and Gabriel Knight don't take more than ten minutes to get running in DOSBox on my new dual-core Windows XP. I find them far less problematic, for example, than trying to get some of the early Windows games running on my computer, some of which won't run at all; that's why Virtual PC is going to be my next step.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
9 registered (curly, Rushes, Agustin Cordes, kjos, petert, Cathy1, 3dobermans, monbron, oldman), 70 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Newest Members
JALind, maggieann, charlene, mikcik, Trishpatsy
8521 Registered Users