GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: wysewomon] #379146
08/22/08 06:26 AM
08/22/08 06:26 AM
Southeast Asia
macmac Offline
Settled Boomer
macmac  Offline
Settled Boomer

Southeast Asia
This thread is nearly as fascinating as the game. I just finished, and the insights you all have shared have "added icing to the cake".
Early in the thread someone noted that the character "Rhys" seemed a little, well...attracted to those of his own sex. I remember one exchange:
NIGEL: I must go back to the cottage to think about this...
RHYS: Oh, are you inviting me to your room?
NIGEL: No, I will be tied up...
RHYS: Thats even better!
Click to reveal..
I also join those who do not believe Mr Greul was the cat killer.
I think there were some activities that should have taken place at the Bear that, for some reason, were edited out of the final release of the game. Consider the Mens and Ladies restrooms.
Click to reveal..
I believe Morgan threw Jemima in the fire after some sort of conflict with Greul.
Anyway, great thread!

Last edited by MaG; 08/22/08 06:58 AM.
the lost crown #379231
08/22/08 09:48 AM
08/22/08 09:48 AM
florida
greatsmitty Offline
Addicted Boomer
greatsmitty  Offline
Addicted Boomer

florida
i just finished the lost crown, and i was wondering if all the people that were at the tomb at the end of the game were already dead. thanks

great smitty
Re: the lost crown [Re: greatsmitty] #379295
08/22/08 11:57 AM
08/22/08 11:57 AM
hunched over my computer
wysewomon Offline
Addicted Boomer
wysewomon  Offline
Addicted Boomer

hunched over my computer
I don;t think they were all dead. Lucy was there, and DH remembers seeing Alex there as well. It seems that the whole cast was there, in fact. I took it to mean that they were there in spirit, though.

WW

"So then he says it's enough to take aim! What's that supposed to mean?!?"

Re: the lost crown [Re: wysewomon] #379304
08/22/08 12:22 PM
08/22/08 12:22 PM
Colorado
ssgamer Offline
Addicted Boomer
ssgamer  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Colorado
Great thread, it makes the game all the more interesting, and replayable, using and thinking about others ideas.
Perhaps we didn't get it all right and in the next game, as we progress we get more colors. Do we have to keep working it out to get a J.B. in full color? Or is this time machine experiment?

Re: the lost crown [Re: ssgamer] #435490
12/10/08 06:45 PM
12/10/08 06:45 PM
Greece
Clovis Offline
Settled Boomer
Clovis  Offline
Settled Boomer

Greece
Hi!

Sorry for bumping this topic up after months, but it is kind of appropriate since my last post was about seven years ago . I wonder if anyone remembers me blush .

Click to reveal..
I think I should point out that not all Saxton residents cheer Nigel on on his search for the crown. Except for the ghosts that provide the actual clues, most of the townspeople expressed misgivings if not outright hostility towards the crown being found and removed.

I clearly remember Nanny Noah tell Nigel that things that are lost sometimes should remain that way, Lucy argue against him that it was not his to take and Professor Oogle also discouraging Nigel from searching for it, though he seems to have a change of heart during the fair.

I noticed the tears but thought them a visual clue that something is wrong with the time, and never noticed the discoloration other describe after the crown is found blush . Now that it has been mentioned though (hi Ivinia, nik2008ofs from JAF here wave), I really like the idea of Saxton being a computer-generated reconstruction using old photos, though it doesn't explain everything. Surely such a virtual world could and would smooth certain discrepancies over automatically, like the date on the package Hadden sends to Nigel, who himself thinks he lives in our time?

Btw, I thought that the whole cast being around the tomb in ghostly form before Nigel returns the crown meant that the power behind it (Grindel? the old kings? perhaps even Hadden?) somehow held their spirits/souls/consciousness/whatever captive, and that was the reason they didn't recognize Nigel, not simple refusal to acknowledge him out of anger or disappointment. And the fact that Lucy finally breaks the silence and helps is because Nigel tells her, and through her the power behind the mess that he wants to return the crown.

Re: the lost crown [Re: Clovis] #435527
12/10/08 08:35 PM
12/10/08 08:35 PM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Stony Brook, New York, USA
Hi Clovis -- good to see you again! wave

Re: the lost crown [Re: Clovis] #435672
12/11/08 08:18 AM
12/11/08 08:18 AM
cornwall england
old lady Offline
Settled Boomer
old lady  Offline
Settled Boomer

cornwall england
Hi Clovis, just wanted to point out that they were not old photos but apart from the railway station photos were taken recently. J.B. has removed some shop signs but I can assure you that Saxton aka Polperro looks just as it is in the game.

Has any one seen any little gray cells around as I think I've lost some? Reward for finder.
Re: the lost crown [Re: old lady] #435836
12/11/08 03:40 PM
12/11/08 03:40 PM
Hiding Under a Rock
gamenut Offline
Addicted Boomer
gamenut  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Hiding Under a Rock
I am so glad i am not the only one who had/has questions about the game...enjoyed playing it -but boy it sure seemed like it raised more questions than answered any!! Twisty!!

Re: the lost crown [Re: gamenut] #435928
12/11/08 07:24 PM
12/11/08 07:24 PM
Manchester England
indy_monkey Offline
Shy Boomer
indy_monkey  Offline
Shy Boomer

Manchester England
Hi all Loved the game and the two Dark Falls. If in DF2 we are able to travel thousands of years into the past or future, at say 30 years old. Then I can be 30 where ever I turn up ? 1978, 2008, 2050, 1888, 1912, and so on. Just a thought, but I've just finished a 12 hour shift & tired.

Re: the lost crown [Re: indy_monkey] #435938
12/11/08 07:48 PM
12/11/08 07:48 PM
Manchester England
indy_monkey Offline
Shy Boomer
indy_monkey  Offline
Shy Boomer

Manchester England
Jonathon

Your games have now aquired cult status, and so they should. I'm sure we gamers will attempt to solve every teaser and every unknown element in all your games. Look forward to DF3 and my insatiable curiosity for more.

Pete

Re: the lost crown [Re: indy_monkey] #437190
12/14/08 05:16 PM
12/14/08 05:16 PM
Hiding Under a Rock
gamenut Offline
Addicted Boomer
gamenut  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Hiding Under a Rock
Oh yes Mr. Boakes.....''please Sir, may we have some more?" (and soon!)

Re: the lost crown [Re: gamenut] #451326
01/15/09 07:42 PM
01/15/09 07:42 PM
Ontario, Canada
colpet Offline
Addicted Boomer
colpet  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Ontario, Canada
I finished the game recently and read through this thread, plus the ones at AG and JA. This game sure sparks a lot of discussion.
Here’s my take on it. I'm in with the computer generated camp.
Click to reveal..
Hadden Industries found a way to access the spiritual world using computer generated virtual worlds. Then one of 2 possibilities – they send someone in as an experiment to see what happens, or they know about the Lost Crown, and want to find it for themselves.
I believe that Nigel, Lucy, Alex and possibly a few others (Morgan, Professor Oogle and Rys) are contempory people. Nigel and Lucy work for Hadden and are friends (hence the pictures of them) . Nigel is sent into the virtual computer world of Saxton as an avatar, and is given a new life history (1978, stole documents, being persued). Saxton is virtual world based on information that Hadden gets from Hardacre. Prior to Nigel going into Saxton, they sent in Hardacre as the first experiment. I think he dies in the process. That’s why he appears in the game as both an avatar and a spirit.
Saxton is populated by both spirits and avatars of people made up by Hadden, possible based on people they used to get information to create Saxton in the first place. The non-spirit avatars – Alex, Morgan, etc.- have preprogrammed behavior. Only Nigel ( and Lucy to some extent on an off and on basis) is able to change events, and act independently
While Nigel is in Saxton, he communes with the spirit world. He also develops the desire to find the Lost Crown for himself. While interacting with the spirits, he is able to help a few, thus sending them to rest. Some he cannot help – Rose and Bob’s grief over their lost son, Gruel’s dementia from losing Jemima. He also encounters evil spirits, the Agers. As he exposes their crimes, their evil influence disappears. When he actually has the Lost Crown in his possession, he has a dream of what happened to Hardacre when he had the Lost Crown. That dream becomes a virtual reality the next day. Because of the attitude of the inhabitants and his belief that the power of the Crown protects Saxton (perhaps even being the power source that allows he spirits to roam), he has second thoughts. Hadden then wants to pull him back using Lucy. Perhaps they want Nigel to bring out the Crown, or they feel Nigel’s life was in danger like Hardacre’s.
Nigel goes back to return the Crown, and is supported in his endeavor by Saxton’s residents. He is returned to the present successfully.

Last edited by colpet; 01/15/09 07:46 PM. Reason: added spoiler tags
Re: the lost crown [Re: colpet] #452027
01/17/09 01:38 PM
01/17/09 01:38 PM
Hiding Under a Rock
gamenut Offline
Addicted Boomer
gamenut  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Hiding Under a Rock
Colpet...i like your explanation! ..it sort of makes things seem a bit clearer.. There is a lot in this series to try and wrap my tiny brain around! But i sure enjoy them...i hope the next is on its way soon!

Re: the lost crown [Re: gamenut] #521031
07/09/09 04:02 PM
07/09/09 04:02 PM
Vienna, Austria
Jehane Offline
Settled Boomer
Jehane  Offline
Settled Boomer

Vienna, Austria
Just finished the game and have read through this thread - now I have even more questions swirling around in my head smile

One question is,
Click to reveal..
who was the ghost in the crypt that kept throwing stones at Nigel even after all the other ghosts had been exorcised? He seemed to be a very tortured soul - mark the way he appears in contrast to other ghosts; this one seems to be in pain while the others stand still for most of the time. I still haven't figured out who that might have been.

As for some theories stated in this thread that this was all a computer-generated reality, I find that hard to believe, simply because I love a good ghost story and tech stuff would take away a lot of the mystery for me.

I do believe that
Click to reveal..
some people Nigel meets are ghosts - the couple at Ager House, for example, or Nanny Noah. I thought that was quite obvious; however, I was a little puzzled by Hardacre - in the first night, he seems to fade while on the next day, he can't remember a thing about having talked to Nigel. This, of course, would be evidence for there being different time shifts - makes sense to me.

Even though I did take a lot of notes, I'm still not sure about one thing:
Click to reveal..
the black mist. I know Nigel exorcised at least three of the Agers - what about the fourth one? Which one or what manifested himself/itself as that black mist? I can't figure that one out.

Another thing I just remembered when browsing my notes: What an earth was the significance of
Click to reveal..
the painting of the crow tree in the musuem? I thought it was really important since both Nigel and Prof. Oogle talked about it, hinting that there might be some clues hidden in the painting. But then I never got to go back to the painting, it just slipped from the game...

Last edited by Jehane; 07/09/09 04:07 PM.

Shiny.
Re: the lost crown [Re: Jehane] #521093
07/09/09 07:14 PM
07/09/09 07:14 PM
Colorado
B
birddog Offline
Settled Boomer
birddog  Offline
Settled Boomer
B

Colorado
When you first open up game there is a symbol - according to the book in the game it is: All Seasons

And instead of loading a game you "relive your past"
and instead of saving a game you "save your future"
and instead of quitting you "abadon your fate"
and a chasm can mean a rift - what about a rift in time
time traveling.
Just some random thoughts.

Re: the lost crown [Re: birddog] #521252
07/10/09 07:53 AM
07/10/09 07:53 AM
Vienna, Austria
Jehane Offline
Settled Boomer
Jehane  Offline
Settled Boomer

Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted By: birddog
When you first open up game there is a symbol - according to the book in the game it is: All Seasons

And instead of loading a game you "relive your past"
and instead of saving a game you "save your future"
and instead of quitting you "abadon your fate"
and a chasm can mean a rift - what about a rift in time
time traveling.
Just some random thoughts.

Sadly, not in the German version - there is, of course, the symbol of the four seasons but in German you have "load game", "save game", "quit game" - only when clicking on "quit game" does the game ask you if you want to abandon your fate.
I still think that there was some kind of time travelling involved - I have missed the information in the beginning that Nigel was actually recruited in 1978. If that is true and if we take for granted that he was *not* recruited at birth, then there must be some sort of time rift/travelling be involved. That would, of course, also explain why Nigel can talk to people who should actually be dead. That would also explain why
Click to reveal..
Hardacre seems to disappear in the first night, when Nigel follows him - he looks ghostlike and warns Nigel about the crown. Since later in the game Hardacre is killed because he got his hands on the crown, this could be actually his ghost, visiting from the future to warn Nigel. That would also explain why Hardacre doesn't remember anything about it the next day.

Another question that just popped up in my mind:
Click to reveal..
What was up with the six Hardacres towards the end of the game? Why six identical ghosts of the same person? You should think that one ghost should be sufficient when it comes to guiding Nigel to the cellar.

Shiny.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 256 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users