GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Perry Rhodan small review... #456706
01/28/09 03:26 PM
01/28/09 03:26 PM
Tel Aviv, Israel.
T
Tomer Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Tomer  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
T

Tel Aviv, Israel.
Hi fellow gamers.
It's not going to be a huge review or anything, but my opinions and a short summery of the game's features. I know I need these small reviews of fellow gamers in many occasions, when I need to decide which games I should get now smile.
So, Perry Rhodan.
Overall: A good game, in my opinion. I simply enjoyed it. Very little frustration. Very smooth gaming.
Plot: Interesting. Complex. Would be difficult to realy follow (unless you're familliar with the novels - I'm not!). However, the main thread of the plot is definitelly intruiging and "followable" smile. There's simply a lot of data, most of it irrelevant, scattered in the game (that's how I like games! Rich and optional!), some of which is kind of gibrish to those unfamilliar with the novels. However, to sum it up, an intruiging, motivating plot.
Atmosphere: voice acting, background music, and generally: Great! Very sci-fi. Good background music, very very good voice-acting! The design and music reminded me a lot of "the dig" which is an amazing oldie if you'd ask me, and I got very much into the game when I played it!
Graphics: Great! Very good graphics in cut-scenes (not top-notch but definitelly pretty). Game's graphics are also really pretty and easy on the eyes. Design is great, rich and detailed.
Gaming: Simple. Point and click (no keyboard). A nice gadget I used a lot - you have a scanner for hot-spots which are sometimes difficult to find. I'm not a sucker for inventory puzzles and pixle hunting, so I found myself using it frequently (although I usually started up exploring without it to enrich the experience). But for those of you who loooove pixle hunting, you can always choose not to use it, so it's great.
The only thing you can do is click on objects and use items on objects with the right-mouse button, and get information (sometimes vital) of things with the left-mouse button. The action changes according to the object clicked.
Conversation is a bit strange - there aren't sentences you choose or something like that, but instead you pick items (or symbols) from your inventory (which is conviniently place on the bottom of the screen) and talk about them by using them on the character.
Also, there's quite some reading in the game which I personally like. Some is pretty much critical (not only for the plot, but also for the puzzles), but can be usually drawn quickly and does not require heavy reading - so that's optional too.
puzzles: Nice. Not too hard in my opinion, but not too easy as well. Some are based on inventory but the more difficult/serious ones are based on logic, and some trial and error. They integrate well into the game although not amazingly. There are some puzzles which I found a little obscure/out of place. I have not used a walkthrough, but I'm a Myst-fan so I'm used to challanges... some might find the puzzles a little too difficult.

Lasting impression: A good game. There's nothing really in it that I find very unique, nothing which strongly seperates it from other games. Simply a solid game, with a good plot, good graphics, and nice puzzles. It's definitelly better, IMO, than many I have played recently, and I have played a lot (at least 10 in the last 6 monthes).
I don't know what's my scale, but B+ sounds fitting smile.

Have fun exploring our future,
Tomer.

Last edited by Tomer; 01/28/09 03:31 PM.

There's definitely definitely definitely no logic to human behaviour.
Re: Perry Rhodan small review... [Re: Tomer] #456791
01/28/09 09:09 PM
01/28/09 09:09 PM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
Nice review ..Tomer

Thank You

I just loved those cleaning robots...How about the odor bar..
Neat game I thought also... thumbsup

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"
Re: Perry Rhodan small review... [Re: Darleen03] #456921
01/29/09 10:53 AM
01/29/09 10:53 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Stony Brook, New York, USA
A very helpful review! I wonder why the "Perryverse" hasn't become generally better known here in the U.S.

Re: Perry Rhodan small review... [Re: Tomer] #456991
01/29/09 02:11 PM
01/29/09 02:11 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Thanks Tomer, that's a vey good summarisation! thumbsup

Re: Perry Rhodan small review... [Re: chrissie] #462581
02/12/09 03:37 PM
02/12/09 03:37 PM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

I agree with you for the most part Tomer. I found the game wanting for what I don't know. It was worth playing but fell flat by leaving out some detail in the plot. Like why did we get no sense of relationship with the main character's girl friend? Why did there seem to be no emotional attachment with her? Some of the scratchy voices were hard to listen to. But hey you can't have everything, hense a B game for me

Re: Perry Rhodan small review... [Re: oldmariner] #462881
02/13/09 12:38 PM
02/13/09 12:38 PM
Tel Aviv, Israel.
T
Tomer Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Tomer  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
T

Tel Aviv, Israel.
You're right, oldmariner... once again, the flatness of adventure games strikes...
I really wish the developers would invest more time on the three-dimentionality of the characters, from all aspects, rather than... I don't know, work on cinematic clips.
Well... I want them both!
My favorite games - Gabriel Knight, TLJ, Dreamfall, Stillife, Myst (though some would argue) - they all have deep, memorable characters, that you could really relate to. But did Perry Rodhan have any distinct quality to which I as a player would relate? No. He was plain.
That's why, aside from being solid, the game didn't really achieve anything new. If there hadn't been so many worse games next to it, it wouldn't recieve my B+... but comparing it with others, I just felt it deserved it, because for the first time I didn't wanna kill myself over the unbearable simplicity of dumb characters...

Last edited by Tomer; 02/13/09 12:39 PM.

There's definitely definitely definitely no logic to human behaviour.
Re: Perry Rhodan small review... [Re: Tomer] #494114
04/27/09 07:41 PM
04/27/09 07:41 PM
Brazil
Phoebe Offline
Addicted Boomer
Phoebe  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Brazil
Hey Tomer is a good review thumbsup

I like very much of Perry Rhodan and i agree with your review!

Love Maria hearts

Yes,though i go through the valley of deep shade,i will have no fear of evil;for you are with me, your rod and your support are my comfort. Salmo23:4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 338 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users