GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Blackwell Convergence #547000
09/14/09 12:19 AM
09/14/09 12:19 AM
oldmariner Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Blackwell Convergence.

The third offering in the Blackwell series by Dave Gilbert independent game producer of Wadjet Eye Games. To quickly let those of you who have played and enjoyed games one and two know, I will cut to the chase, it stays true to the canon. Convergence is a point and click 2D game with classic style graphics. No, they are not grainy or pixelated as were the early games but the design is in keeping with the style. Dave utilized the portrait in the box design, as done in Gabriel Knight 1 to feature closeups of the person speaking. It was a nice touch. The music is excellent and was written for the game. At the end of your playing Dave features credits showing pictures of the voice actor paired with the game character. There is even an original song with vocal written for the game featured with the credits. Great touch Dave, well done with neat wrap up. The game unfortunately is short, about the same duration as games one and two.

Voice acting is excellent as well using local talent. I believe they are same as you heard in Unbound and Legacy. The theme remains as the ghost guide Joey assist Rosangela in helping the recently departed find their way to the light. Of course you, playing the pair have to nudge them along resolving issues that bind the dead to this plane. Game play features still shot background screens which are well rendered and plays full screen on your pc. Joey is featured as a sharp tongued ghost without legs as his presence tapers to nothing just above the floor. Rosa walks while Joey glides along offering his old time detective quips. You switch from Rosa to Joey playing either character at will, just a mouse click to change. You are limited with Joey who has no physical presence. He cannot pick up anything but he can blow a paper clip under a door. Rosa is the only living character who can see and speak to Joey. If you try to speak to him when someone is near, he will reply like this. "Quiet babe, they can't see me and you could get taken to the looney bin."

The story is solved by talking to people so yes there is conversation. But the writing is so good most will enjoy the dialog. You have very few physical inventory puzzles. The ones that are there are quite logical. Yes there is an inventory but what you need to carry is limited to three or four items. So picking up everything in sight is not something you will be doing. A right click and a left click on an object has two different functions. One to interact with, the other to examine. You have a note book which you use as supplement to the conversation tree. Click on your notes to directly ask a question of a character. There are references to characters from previous games and one does make an appearance.

There are three ghost you must assist, one at a time. They are tied together by the main story arch which is neatly wrapped up at the end. The game sells through Wadjet Eye directly as either a download without restriction or CD. Yes you can make a backup cd from your download and there is no nasty DRM or internet requirement to play or install.

Yes the game is short but the quality is first rate. You should be able to play this in an afternoon but for the reasonable cost it is not a problem. I have played much longer games costing far more that can't measure up to this series. So we have good graphics, excellent voice acting, good story line, engaging characters you will remember, no mazes, no timed puzzles, attention to detail, no drm and pressed onto a cd for less than ten bucks. Or if you are in a hurry you can download it. If I recall correctly the dl cost more than the shipped cd. The Cd comes in a small wrapper with no manual no inner sleeve, really spartan. Geeze Dave you could have at least provided a paper envelope for the disc.

Last edited by oldmariner; 09/14/09 12:28 AM.
Re: Blackwell Convergence [Re: oldmariner] #547086
09/14/09 09:30 AM
09/14/09 09:30 AM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
thanks Oldmariner wave

This one is definitely on my list. I have only played one of the games, but I enjoyed it thoroughly wave

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Blackwell Convergence [Re: looney4labs] #547108
09/14/09 10:33 AM
09/14/09 10:33 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Stony Brook, New York, USA
Nice review, oldmariner! wave

Re: Blackwell Convergence [Re: Becky] #547138
09/14/09 11:45 AM
09/14/09 11:45 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Thanks for another excellent review, oldmariner !!

Keep 'em comin' thumbsup

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 279 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users