GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Sherlock Holmes-Jack the Ripper & my New Windows 7 computer #597289
02/14/10 08:54 PM
02/14/10 08:54 PM
New York
Mary Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Mary  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

New York
My computer has not even collected any dust yet, and the first game I pick up to install gives me a message that I don't know how to fix: "Insufficient privileges: you must be an administrator when you run this application for the first time." My name IS listed as "adminstrator". Now what?

I can see that moving from XP to 7 is not going to be smooth; I've got lots to learn.

The answer is....chocolate! Who cares what the question is.....
Re: Sherlock Holmes-Jack the Ripper & my New Windows 7 computer [Re: Mary] #597306
02/14/10 10:07 PM
02/14/10 10:07 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Mary, I've never seen that message in the dozens of games I've played on my Win 7. You can try right clicking on the shortcut and selecting Run As Administrator and see if that works. The other thing you can do is check the security settings for that game. Right click on the shortcut and select the Security tab. Make sure all the permissions are allowed for each entry. I have one older Interactive game which shows up in the list without full privileges. I had to click on Edit, then Interactive and then click on each of the entries to allow full access.

You're right, it's not going to be smooth and seamless, as there are a lot of changes to get used to for those of us who went straight from XP to Win 7.

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: Sherlock Holmes-Jack the Ripper & my New Windows 7 computer [Re: Draclvr] #597308
02/14/10 10:17 PM
02/14/10 10:17 PM
New York
Mary Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Mary  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

New York
If I right click and "run as administrator" I get a box that is titled "Tages drivers" and the message says "The drivers need installation (with an administrators account). Do you want to proceed?

If I click yes, then I get "Unable to proceed (error 1275) and my computer says there is a driver conflict and won't download the drivers.

Thats when I get the "insuffient privileges" message.

I just loaded Dark Fall: Lost Souls without any problem (but I've just started, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed).
I wanted to play Sherlock Holmes, though. frown

Re: Sherlock Holmes-Jack the Ripper & my New Windows 7 computer [Re: Mary] #597311
02/14/10 10:23 PM
02/14/10 10:23 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Ah, the cursed Tages Copy protection. Luckily The Witcher got rid of it with their last patch, but I had to update the Tages drivers with Vamipre Origin, I think it was.

You can go here and download the updated drivers... you will need to know if you have 32-bit or 64-bit Win 7. Most new computers seem to be coming with the 64-bit. Tages Copy Protection Let me know how Lost Souls goes and I'll add it to my list in the Win 7 and Games thread.

Re: Sherlock Holmes-Jack the Ripper & my New Windows 7 computer [Re: Draclvr] #597473
02/15/10 10:56 AM
02/15/10 10:56 AM
New York
Mary Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Mary  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

New York
Okay, I downloaded those darn drivers (that I have to deal with but the thieves that steal these games get around, I'm sure)and all is well with Sherlock.
I've played a bit of both Sherlock Holmes/Jack the Ripper and Dark Fall: Lost Souls. So far, so good: no glitches, games are stable and needed no tweaking (I have played only about 15 minutes of each, but have saved, gone out and retrieved those saves without any problems.)
I am playing on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for those drivers!

Last edited by Mary; 02/15/10 10:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Re: Sherlock Holmes-Jack the Ripper & my New Windows 7 computer [Re: Mary] #597486
02/15/10 11:25 AM
02/15/10 11:25 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
That's great news, Mary. I hope all your other adventures in Win 7 go as well!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (judith), 712 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users