GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Simon The Sorcerer 1 #611995
04/06/10 12:40 AM
04/06/10 12:40 AM
oldmariner Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Simon the Sorcerer, The Original Adventure

As no one had written a review here for this game I thought I would. I found this 1993 game by Adventure Soft at GOG for a very low price. Actually for a limited time you can get it for a penny under three dollars. You can't go wrong for that. This version is a drm free game as you would expect from GOG. So it is yours forever once you burn it to a disc.

The game is similar to the Kings Quest series and the graphics on this one is at about the level of KQ5. So they are pretty good, though obviously not to today's standard. What you get is the game execute file, a downloaded manual and a collection of game wallpapers.

It played flawlessly on my XP system with no tweaking needed. The puzzles were all inventory based with nothing timed and no mazes. I did not run into any areas where Simon could be killed, nor did I encounter any dead ends. I won't promise you won't only can say I did not. There appears to be unlimited saves.

The inventory is shown on the bottom of the screen. You have several ways to interact in the game. Though it is point and click, third person the mechanics are bit different to what you are used to in today's games. The learning curve is really short but you should read the manual to know what you are doing.

As an example to save, load a save or quit the game you must click on the word use and then a post card icon in your inventory. A box pops up with the appropriate choices. Once naming your save you hit the enter key to record the save. Without reading the manual you would not know that.

The game installs to XP by default as Program Files/GOG/Simon the Sorcerer. The saves are named in sequential order as Simon1.001 and are located in the game's root file. Also in the root file you will find a walk through in doc format which opens with wordpad. Everything is in one neat package.

As Simon you are magically transported to a Kings Quest type land where you must save the kingdom from an evil sorcerer. The usual do a favor to gain what you need follows. There are numerous locations to travel to and you do have the aid of a map for quick telporting. That is found in your inventory and places are added to them once visited.

The dialogue is rather offbeat with references to other games and other popular fairy tales. At one point Simon even gets a telephone call. The humor is fun and the adventure is well worth playing. At the present price it is a steal.

Last edited by oldmariner; 04/06/10 12:44 AM.
Re: Simon The Sorcerer 1 [Re: oldmariner] #612037
04/06/10 07:34 AM
04/06/10 07:34 AM
Scotland
MsMercury Offline
Adept Boomer
MsMercury  Offline
Adept Boomer

Scotland
Thanks oldmariner! I played this years ago on an Amiga and loved it so when I saw it offered on GOG for a ridiculously low price, I couldn't resist. I'm playing on Windows 7 32bit and having no problems whatsoever with it.

Mary wave

"It's not what you have in your life
but who you have in your life that counts." puppy

I'm not getting old....just 'Marvelously Mature'! grin
Re: Simon The Sorcerer 1 [Re: MsMercury] #612103
04/06/10 12:10 PM
04/06/10 12:10 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
I really have to play this one day! Thanks for posting wave

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Simon The Sorcerer 1 [Re: looney4labs] #612155
04/06/10 03:55 PM
04/06/10 03:55 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
This is still my favourite of all the Simon games.

Love it !!

So thanks, oldmariner, for a nice review thumbsup

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Simon The Sorcerer 1 [Re: Mad] #633587
06/29/10 12:02 AM
06/29/10 12:02 AM
Lower Mainland, BC
mission Offline
Settled Boomer
mission  Offline
Settled Boomer

Lower Mainland, BC
oldmariner, thanks for writing the review.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 330 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users